Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeply View Post

So the 38s had all the networking features and the new GUI on it but was missing the newest Audessey with dynamic EQ and volume on it? Was that the difference? When the new 09 models were annouced, I remember following a thread that was specualting on what each model had new on it and might explain where I got imaginary 3809 specs. lol The real difference for me was deciding between the 2309 and the 2809 so, well, my bad. The 380x was out of my price range.

While they didn't update the 3808 (2008) in 2009 they did offer a software upgrade that included the dynamic EQ and volume control. Many of us got the upgrade for free although there was a $100 retail price for it.

I know very little about network protocols so as long as it works I'm happy. If I think of it later I'll connect my Touch while I'm using Netflix and see if the DRM message appears.

BTW, I think streaming Netflix is very cool and this is clearly the future of renting videos. In early 2008 I downloaded a movie to my AppleTV for the first time and quickly realized streaming was the future. It might be here sooner than I anticipated, all we need is 20 mbps download speed from our providers at a reasonable cost and for the content providers to turn on BD video with the latest audio codecs and physical media goes the way of the DoDo bird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The BDP N460 came with my tv when I bought it from Best Buy and so far it surpasses my BDP S350 as far as load times and picture quality are concerned. I have yet to use the internet features which is sad really because I havent got around to setting that up yet but trust me I will. The only thing that irks me? No open/close feature on the remote. Why Sony dont have that on the remote is mind boggleing to me. But otherwise this is a great Blu ray player from Sony and I havent even seen all this can do yet!

post #333 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Liked: 11
It can do plenty. When I was researching which player to get I had it down to the Sony 460, the LG 390, or the Oppo 83. I'm glad I picked the Sony, it has performed very well, and all the streaming features are just icing on the cake. It has more streaming choices than any other player out there by far. Sony has added even more just since I bought mine when it was first available on Sony Style's site. And the picture is very good on the Netflix instant steaming.

Larry
post #334 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else in the thread, but...

Instead of buying the recommended wireless module has anyone tried using a wireless bridge (or a router repurposed as such with DD-WRT or similar) and just connecting it the ethernet port? If so how did it work for Netflix streaming and such?

Thanks!
post #335 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 AM

Deleted by poster. Misread the question.
post #336 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In looking thru the pdf file of the N460 manual it appears to me that the front USB port can only be used for jpg photo review. It says the player can play AVCHD files but it only appears that it can do that from disc?
Am I missing something here?
My Panny 35 has a SD card slot and will play jpgs or AVCHD right from the SD card right of the camera which is really nice.
Thanks in advance,
Gerry
post #337 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Using this with a Samsung tv w/ Anynet. The 460 switches the input to HDMI2 when I turn it on which is the proper input. When I turn it off, it goes to the TV input which has nothing. Is there anyway to get this to go to HDMI 1 when I turn off the 460?
post #338 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Probably your Samsung TV has a setting and the 460 has a setting. I'd say check both.

I have my 460 connected HDMI only to an AVR which is HDMI connected to my TV. But the TV has a function to update it by disk and to test the connection as well. If I hit test, it turns on the player but there is no throughput audio signal that I can "hear".

My favorite
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #339 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 PM

I just picked up the N460 on Amazon for about $190, on Black Friday. I was shopping around, and had narrowed it down to a few units. Finally, I had actually purchased the S560, but then realized it didn't do Netflix, and my wife really wants to be able to do that. So, I switched for the N460 before shipping had occurred, no problems. I also saw some comments about the Linksys/Cisco WET610N, and picked one of them up as well ($79 I think).

Ordered a new TV too, the Panasonic TC-50G15 (50" plasma, $1,250ish).

Unfortunately my receiver (a Denon AVR-685) doesn't have HDMI, so I'll be using component cables, but that'll be good enough for us. I've got a 27" tube TV with standard video that I've used for several years - ANYTHING will be an upgrade. In time I'll upgrade the receiver, so I'm not worried about not *truly* having 1080p. I've got a digital audio cable that I've been using with my standard DVD player, so it will transfer over.

I'll let everyone know what I think of the Sony, once everything's arrived and I've had time to hook it up! That last part is the trick...
post #340 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Question - to get Netflix on N460, one has to sign up with Essentials?
post #341 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

Streamed two Netflix movies tonight, one SD the other HD. They both looked better than expected. No glitches or delays or hangups at all. I'm very happy with this choice for a BD player.

I have had good luck streaming Netflix thru my PS3, but like others have mentioned I do get the "cracking noises" every so often on the older movies.

I also talked with a Netflix support person when I was first starting to use it with the PS3. They said that presently (as of this week) "the HD is only 720P with stereo only" "Surround sound is coming as the first upgrade and later probably 1280P"
post #342 of 1291 Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siper2 View Post

Unfortunately my receiver (a Denon AVR-685) doesn't have HDMI, so I'll be using component cables, but that'll be good enough for us. I've got a 27" tube TV with standard video that I've used for several years - ANYTHING will be an upgrade. In time I'll upgrade the receiver, so I'm not worried about not *truly* having 1080p. I've got a digital audio cable that I've been using with my standard DVD player, so it will transfer over.

Run the HDMI from the player to your plasma with the optical audio cable to your Denon. You aren't going to hear the new audio formats but at least you'll be getting the full video resolution from the Sony BD player.
post #343 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Question - to get Netflix on N460, one has to sign up with Essentials?

Yes.
post #344 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought the N460, got it from Amazon yesterday for $188 and looking forward to replacing my 8 year old Sony DVD changer. This forum helped me out in choosing between the Sony and Samsung....The Sony won due to a lot favorable reviews I have read so far. I do have a couple of questions concerning internet connection to this unit since the room where my TV is located doesn't have a LAN drop and my option is for a wireless internet connectivity, first - is there any other wireless ethernet-N bridge you can use other than the Linksys/Cisco WET610N (I dislike Linsys products)? second - can I use this one - NETGEAR 5 GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge (WNHDE111)? instead of the Linksys since I currently use a Netgear Router WNR-3500 for my home....appreciate your help.
post #345 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeply View Post

Yes.

Thanks Meeply, so if I were to get the PS3 (being Sony) do I have to sign up with Essentials also? Sorry for the noob qestions. TIA
post #346 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks Meeply, so if I were to get the PS3 (being Sony) do I have to sign up with Essentials also? Sorry for the noob qestions. TIA

For NetFlix, no. You have to contact NetFlix directly to get the disk sent to you. And the disk needs to be in the PS3 everytime you use NetFlix.
post #347 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

For NetFlix, no. You have to contact NetFlix directly to get the disk sent to you. And the disk needs to be in the PS3 everytime you use NetFlix.

Thanks Rocky, so I'm better off getting a PS3 or other Netflix player that don't require a third party to enable NF.
post #348 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Rocky, so I'm better off getting a PS3 or other Netflix player that don't require a third party to enable NF.

Third party? It really isn't that big of a deal. You simply go to a website to register and you are done. Should take no more than a minute or two.

I would not let registering at Sony's site be a detraction from getting the N460. It is the least of things to consider.

https://internet.sony.tv/customer/

No big deal. You put in your email address to create an account and enter your registration code and you are done. Takes as long as it does to log in to your Netflix account and register a Netflix enabled device.
post #349 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:

What's the issue with registering with Sony? This has been brought up a few times and it seems like a non issue to me. You register one time and you're done. By registering you get additional content besides Netflix. One of the items you get is a dozen Michael Jackson videos that my kids are enjoying watching. You're also going to get a free movie (Cloudy with a change of ....) for free before it's released on BD or DVD. Seems like more upside than downside.
post #350 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

As the others said, what's the fuss? I had the Samsung 2550 with both NetFlix and Pandora, and until it started giving me a few problems (they need a new FW update soon, VERY soon!!!!) I enjoyed it. And many who have the PS3 are complaining that they HAVE to have the special NetFlix disc in their PS3 everytime they want to view the streaming movies. Is that any better than a one time online reg?

Personally, I returned the PS3 Slim last night (already have the Fat60 anyway) for a number of reasons, and was actually going to get this N460. I had the box in my hands at BB (was on sale too!!!!) too, when I seen the Pioneer 320 for sale at the same price! As I already have the XBox 360 and the PS3 (fat60 and have the NF disc too), I could not pass that up instead. Sure it is slow at loading, but the PQ and Audio on this Pioneer is beauty to behold. Not to mention it once was over $400 at one time. And it fits right in with my Pioneer SC-05 AVR, so a no brainer. But for a stand alone WITH NetFlix, I would say get this N460, and stay AWAY from Samsung or LG!!!!!
post #351 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I thought this also, but you really aren't registering anything. You enter an email address and create a password, that's it. Sony then sends an activation code to the player, and it will load and display an ID code. Next enter this code from your netflix account and you are connected.
post #352 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the responds. I don't have a issue with registering with Sony. Just trying to understand the concept of going through Essentials to get NF. How does NF stream to the N460? Does it go through Essentials and then the N460 or NF straight to N460?
My concern is if it goes through Essentials and it has a problem then I won't get NF.
post #353 of 1291 Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 PM

Liked: 11
I think it streams right from Netflix, and the registering with Essentials is only a one time thing. I think that it also enables you to personalize your music on Slacker radio. Not sure about that, thought I saw it somewhere on the site.

Larry
post #354 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

Run the HDMI from the player to your plasma with the optical audio cable to your Denon. You aren't going to hear the new audio formats but at least you'll be getting the full video resolution from the Sony BD player.

Okay. I wasn't sure if that would work, meaning, I wasn't sure if HDMI was an all-or-nothing connection. I do have a digital audio cable, been using that for a while, so yep I can pick up an HDMI for video. Thanks!
post #355 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Oh-

I just want to say that I wish Sony had a firmware update, as some have said elsewhere (and maybe here, too) for the S560 model. That way, since it already incorporates wireless, it could also stream Netflix.

I guess you get to choose: Netflix streaming, or wireless. This is why I went for the N460 instead. Even though it seems that the S560 has a swanky silver-ish faceplate.
post #356 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Sony and Netflix recently released a disk for the PS3 that enables the PS3 to stream Netflix. I have this disk and tried the disk in my s560 and it looked promising, then I got an error saying no external memory found. I haven't had a chance yet to try it with external memory (usb flash drive in rear) installed. Anybody else tried this? If Sony can do this with a disk for the PS3 why not for their BD Live players?
post #357 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the responds. I don't have a issue with registering with Sony. Just trying to understand the concept of going through Essentials to get NF. How does NF stream to the N460? Does it go through Essentials and then the N460 or NF straight to N460?
My concern is if it goes through Essentials and it has a problem then I won't get NF.

Your concern is unfounded. And you sound really confused as to how this works.

Literally all you are doing is registering your device with Sony, and then inputting a registration code with Netflix.

There is no other bottle neck or issue involved. Nothing "goes through" Essentials. Essentials is merely a website that you register your player at, not much different than how to have to register any player with Netflix on their website.

Once the player is registered, Netflix will work. There is absolutely nothing at all to be concerned about regarding Essentials. Nothing. At. All.
post #358 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM

swak,

That'd be nice, if it worked. I could return the WET610N, even though it's always fun to have an extra gizmo in the house.

This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for about a three-shelf A/V equipment shelf/rack? I've been shopping online a bit. I see there's an A/V Theory/Setup subforum here... that may be a good place to ask. I'm considering dark wood or metal, as well as the wall-mount units.
post #359 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siper2 View Post

Okay. I wasn't sure if that would work, meaning, I wasn't sure if HDMI was an all-or-nothing connection. I do have a digital audio cable, been using that for a while, so yep I can pick up an HDMI for video. Thanks!

You may need to mute your TV. Other than that it should work fine.
post #360 of 1291 Old 12-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

You may need to mute your TV. Other than that it should work fine.

I always do, anyway. Sound goes through my 5.1.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page