NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having just purchased my Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray player, I was eager to get it set up and going. I also purchased a Linksys bridge which provides the wireless internet access. This all went well, very well in fact. The blu-ray player easily access the firmware update, etc. So far so good.

Next I tried to figure out how in the world one accesses Netflix, etc. No small task as nothing in the manual touches on this. After a lengthy wait on the service line I find out I need to register the unit (ok, fair enough), but also register a second time on something called My Essentials. This supposedly would then provide a validation code I need on Netflix.

But, the saga continues. Guess what, the site is down and has been all evening! I can't believe a company of the stature of Sony would permit such a situation. I'll try again tomorrow but if this doesn't sort itself out soon I will be taking the kit back to Best Buy. Too bad, as I like the basic unit and the install generally went well. But, they have nothing in their user manual that so much as points at a web site to help get the internet capable access, which is the prime reason I bought the unit. This is such a failure on Sony's part I can scarcely believe it.

Anyway, if anyone has a work around I'm all ears. Thanks in advance. Hope this helps others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggr001 View Post

Next I tried to figure out how in the world one accesses Netflix, etc. No small task as nothing in the manual touches on this. After a lengthy wait on the service line I find out I need to register the unit (ok, fair enough), but also register a second time on something called My Essentials. This supposedly would then provide a validation code I need on Netflix.

If you had read this thread before you started you would have known about the registration requirements.
post #543 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Having just purchased my Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray player, I was eager to get it set up and going. I also purchased a Linksys bridge which provides the wireless internet access. This all went well, very well in fact. The blu-ray player easily access the firmware update, etc. So far so good.

But, the saga continues. Guess what, the site is down and has been all evening! I can't believe a company of the stature of Sony would permit such a situation. I'll try again tomorrow but if this doesn't sort itself out soon I will be taking the kit back to Best Buy. Too bad, as I like the basic unit and the install generally went well. But, they have nothing in their user manual that so much as points at a web site to help get the internet capable access, which is the prime reason I bought the unit. This is such a failure on Sony's part I can scarcely believe it.

Anyway, if anyone has a work around I'm all ears. Thanks in advance. Hope this helps others.

Could you or someone provide the complete address for this "my essentials" website? I cannot find it anywhere on their frigg'n website.
Thanks, Gerry
post #544 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

If you had read this thread before you started you would have known about the registration requirements.

I have not found anywhere in this thread that it outlines the exact steps and websites that you have to register at. I can't believe that sony did not provide any information in the manual or even on a one page flyer in the box.
Gerry
post #545 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

two sites are involved :

sonystyle.com/registration for registering the player, then

internet.sony.tv to do the network stuff.

Lloyd
post #546 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does anybody here use Amazon VOD in HD ? Does the connection stays stable in HD or keeps droping and re-connecting ? What is your connection speed ? I get 18 mbps with U-Verse DSL and can't watch any HD video with my panasonic without several interruptions. Thanks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #547 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

I have not found anywhere in this thread that it outlines the exact steps and websites that you have to register at. I can't believe that sony did not provide any information in the manual or even on a one page flyer in the box.
Gerry

I didn't say it did. I said it was required to register the player, not how to do it. Sony clearly could have made the process easier. Once it's done you won't have to do it again. Unless their servers lost all our information.
post #548 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Its really quite easy when everything is working...
Unfortunately, you picked a terrible night to try to set everything up.
I do believe that it is back up now.
post #549 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 PM

I have been going crazy until I saw this page here that Sony network is down. I was thinking of returning the player tomorrow since its been only two weeks after I bought the player.
Thanks for sharing the information..
Shyam
post #550 of 1291 Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Liked: 11
Here's a link.

https://internet.sony.tv/customer/te...gin.vm?lang=en

Larry
post #551 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 AM
dbw

I've had this player for a few days and love it so far. One less than lovable characteristic is that power-off on the Sony and my TV is linked via HDMI. I can't turn off power to one without it turning off power to the other, even when doing so without the remote. I'd like to listen to music streaming through the Sony without having to run my 50" plasma to do it, is there a way to disable this function in the Sony? My TV (Samsung FP-T5084) never exhibited this behavior with my old DVD player connected via the same HDMI cable nor does it do this with my DirecTv DVR, so I'm assuming that this "feature" is with the BDP-N460
post #552 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw View Post

I've had this player for a few days and love it so far. One less than lovable characteristic is that power-off on the Sony and my TV is linked via HDMI. I can't turn off power to one without it turning off power to the other, even when doing so without the remote. I'd like to listen to music streaming through the Sony without having to run my 50" plasma to do it, is there a way to disable this function in the Sony? My TV (Samsung FP-T5084) never exhibited this behavior with my old DVD player connected via the same HDMI cable nor does it do this with my DirecTv DVR, so I'm assuming that this "feature" is with the BDP-N460

My Sony TV has an option in the menu to "Turn off/on HDMI devices". By default is ON, so I set it to OFF. Check your TV settings.
post #553 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 09:32 AM

After last nights hassle of not being able to install the player I finally was able to get things up and running. I want to thank all that gave guidance this morning. Having said that I will still "bash" sony for the poor job that they did in the manual and what to/how to setup the player for internet channels. P*ss poor job!
I know that part of the reason was because of their website being down last night but it was still fustrating.
Currently I am streaming "waterworld" to see if my ethernet connection will handle the bandwidth. It seems to being doing quite well so far. It's sure not bluray or Dish HD quality tho. Of course I didn't expect it to be but not overly poor on a 73" TV.
Again, thanks!
Gerry
post #554 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
dbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallA View Post

My Sony TV has an option in the menu to "Turn off/on HDMI devices". By default is ON, so I set it to OFF. Check your TV settings.

Thanks, it was in the Samsung's Anynet (which I don't use) setup. I turned that function off and it's working the way I want now. I thought Samsung's Anynet was for controlling multiple Samsung devices, but I guess it speaks Sony as well. Thanks again.
post #555 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw View Post

Thanks, it was in the Samsung's Anynet (which I don't use) setup. I turned that function off and it's working the way I want now. I thought Samsung's Anynet was for controlling multiple Samsung devices, but I guess it speaks Sony as well. Thanks again.

No problem. I've been dealing with my HDMI Sync setup for the last couple of days so I knew what you were talking about.
post #556 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have had my 460 for a week now. All of a sudden, it will not play a non BD. The non BD will start out ok but after about a minute, there is a loud sound and the TV powers off. Does anybody have an idea what's happening?
post #557 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

I have had my 460 for a week now. All of a sudden, it will not play a non BD. The non BD will start out ok but after about a minute, there is a loud sound and the TV powers off. Does anybody have an idea what's happening?

Take out the DVD and check it for fingerprints. I had the same issue with a BD. I took it out, inspected it under light, and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. Then it was fine.

If all else fails, Google VSO Inspector, a free PC program to check disk quality, and put that DVD in a DVD drive and watch what happens!

My favorite toy
post #558 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch View Post

Take out the DVD and check it for fingerprints. I had the same issue with a BD. I took it out, inspected it under light, and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. Then it was fine.

If all else fails, Google VSO Inspector, a free PC program to check disk quality, and put that DVD in a DVD drive and watch what happens!

No problem playing a BD. I just can't play any non blu ray now. The player worked fine for a week. Was watching old Christmas DVDs, etc. Put in Pearl Harbor last night to show a friend how well the non blue rays looked and about a minute into it, there was a loud snapping sound and the TV powered off, just like a power failure. Today it is doing the same thing with any non BD. I just put in a Netflix BD movie just a little while ago and it played just fine. I have checked all of the settings on the player and the TV. Can't figure it out. Don't know if it is the player or the TV.
post #559 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Just to close out my post yesterday...at long last the infamous Sony web site came back up and I was able to register. After that, all went very well. I've enjoyed the music channel very much, the streaming video from Netflix works well, etc.

Had I known about this forum earlier, it would have saved time and frustration, but with so much on the web, it's easy to miss something. Anyway, thanks to all for their useful information.

Bottom line at the moment is that I am very pleased with the Sony player as well as the Linksys bridge. Bandwidth seems to be fine considering it is wireless on my home network.

My main criticism at the moment with Sony is their complete lack of information as well as the fact they had a crucial site down for hours. As a technology commpany this is the oddest thing I can imagine. Who is looking at their customer satisfaction metrics? Anyway, I'll keep the player unless something unexpected pops up. Thanks again all.
post #560 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM

I cannot find the answer in this thread or in the manual. Is there a way to turn off the upscaling on the 460? I have an Onkyo HTR that has better upscaling and would prefer to do it that way.

Thanks,
Robert
post #561 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Does anybody here use Amazon VOD in HD ? Does the connection stays stable in HD or keeps droping and re-connecting ? What is your connection speed ? I get 18 mbps with U-Verse DSL and can't watch any HD video with my panasonic without several interruptions. Thanks.

I ordered a movie (Angels and Demons) last week to test Amazon VOD in HD....watched the movie from start to finish without any buffering, dropping or interruption issue. I have a Netgear gigabit N router (WNR-3500) and my N460 is connected through a D-Link DAP1522 wireless bridge (since no LAN drop available in my living room). Connection speed is 10/2mbps with Utopia, my home is connected by fiber-optics directly to the main fiber-optic backbone.
post #562 of 1291 Old 12-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

I was hopefully that, after last nights outage, perhaps FearNet would be up and running...
No dice.
Anyone have any idea what we're going to have to do to get Sony to provide this advertised feature that has NEVER worked?
post #563 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:

No problem playing a BD. I just can't play any non blu ray now. The player worked fine for a week. Was watching old Christmas DVDs, etc. Put in Pearl Harbor last night to show a friend how well the non blue rays looked and about a minute into it, there was a loud snapping sound and the TV powered off, just like a power failure. Today it is doing the same thing with any non BD. I just put in a Netflix BD movie just a little while ago and it played just fine. I have checked all of the settings on the player and the TV. Can't figure it out. Don't know if it is the player or the TV.

I believe that bluray players use two lasers. One to read BD discs and one for non BD discs. It sounds like the one laser has blown out..
Gerry
post #564 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:

I hope this isn't a trend. The reason why I purchased this Sony is because my Panasonic BD30 stopped playing BD DVD but still played DVD after only 15 months. Well at least it's still under warranty.
post #565 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I think it is the player. It is hooked to a Pioneer Pro-510 via component. The first plays were standard dvds, White Christmas and The Preacher's Wife. They played with no problems and the PQ and sound was excellent. Over the week we played the new Harry Potter BD and several Netflix BDs. Tried to play the standard dvds again and here is what happens. From the home screen, select the dvd, and it immediately shuts down TV. I mean just like it were a power failure. I notice then that the player goes into Pause. If I turn the TV back on, it goes off immediately. If I press the player's "play" button (remote won't do it), the player starts to play the movie. I can then turn the TV back on and it will play the whole movie. I have unplugged the player, returned to factory defaults and that didn't fix it. It seems to be something about communicating with the Pioneer TV and picture formatting. Looking at "trouble shooting" for the Pioneer, it does mention that when the power goes off with a sudden "Pop" sound, it said it is 'due to the protection circuit, correcting a electrical discharge phenomenon in the CRT and not to expect a fault'. Since I can take the player back to BB, I think I will and get another one. If it happens again I will probably keep it since I know how to make the dvds play. Maybe with a new Tv with HDMI and 1080P it will work right. But it should work now.
post #566 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
dbw

Whenever I press the Home key on my BDP-N460 my TV loses the HDMI-connected signal. I can recover by cycling the TV to a different source and then back, or power cycling the TV (Samsung FP-T5084). Anyone know the cause/cure?

Edit: The new firmware download today solved my issue.
post #567 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like HDMI negotiation. It can sometimes be a real PITA! I don't know what the cure is other than new equipment, TV, AVR, BD player... Any one of these could be the issue, or maybe a slightly hinky HDMI cable.

Lloyd
post #568 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Well now that I have had the N460 running for a couple days I have been doing a little testing. I have tried two HD movies to test the streaming ability of my internet connection. In both movies I started running into buffering issues every 3-5 minutes about 2/3rds of the way through the movie. This tells me that I appear to have bandwidth issues at times?
Currently I have Roadrunner Standard which is suppose to be 10Mb/sec download. I went to 4 or 5 different so called bandwidth test sites and the range on download speeds varied between 8.6Mb/sec to as high as 15.5Mb/sec on my laptop. Needless to say this is too wide of a range to make any sense.
I wonder if I upgrade to roadrunner turbo at 15Mb/sec if this would solve my problems? I hate to pay an extra $10 a month however. Any thoughts?
I also have my phone through RR and it is running off the same cable modem box. My N460 is hard wired with Cat6 cable to router.
Thanks for any advice, Gerry
post #569 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
FWIW, I have no HD streaming issues on 6Mb DSL. Setting the QOS in your router to give priority to the N460 port might help. It helped me back when I had vonage.
post #570 of 1291 Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

Well now that I have had the N460 running for a couple days I have been doing a little testing. I have tried two HD movies to test the streaming ability of my internet connection. In both movies I started running into buffering issues every 3-5 minutes about 2/3rds of the way through the movie. This tells me that I appear to have bandwidth issues at times?
Currently I have Roadrunner Standard which is suppose to be 10Mb/sec download. I went to 4 or 5 different so called bandwidth test sites and the range on download speeds varied between 8.6Mb/sec to as high as 15.5Mb/sec on my laptop. Needless to say this is too wide of a range to make any sense.
I wonder if I upgrade to roadrunner turbo at 15Mb/sec if this would solve my problems? I hate to pay an extra $10 a month however. Any thoughts?
I also have my phone through RR and it is running off the same cable modem box. My N460 is hard wired with Cat6 cable to router.
Thanks for any advice, Gerry

I think this is a Netflix issue. I also run RoadRunner standard down here in NC and have the same problems as you. When I first got my N460 (a few weeks ago), I streamed a lot of Netflix with no problems. I am also hardwired to the router. Lately though, it has been bad. I get part way through then have to wait for it to buffer. I have plenty of bandwidth according to test sites.

My take is this, Sony and others have sold and given away a crapload of Netflix ready equipment this holiday season, and Netflix cannot keep up with the demand.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page