AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

I don't think so.

You would be better off with the LG if that is important to you.

The only thing this Sony player does differently, per se, is that it streams more "official" content from 25+ different service providers, whereas Samsung and LG, up to this point, are limited to about 4 each, Youtube, Netflix, Pandora, CinemaNow, Vudu and Blockbuster. 3 of which are pay services.

The Sony does not have built-in wireless or PC streaming functionality.

Thanks! How abt Sammy 3600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1291 Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Thanks! How abt Sammy 3600?

I think the Samsung has some PC streaming support too, but I think the LG is better at that than the Samsung.
post #33 of 1291 Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I think the Samsung has some PC streaming support too, but I think the LG is better at that than the Samsung.

would u know if lg plays pal dvds and can be made region free?
post #34 of 1291 Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Can anyone comment on blu-ray load times on Sony players versus the PS3? I'm strongly considering buying this when it comes out to replace BR playback duties on the PS3. Are standalone players still really slow compared to the PS3? Haven't kept up.
post #35 of 1291 Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOG View Post

Can anyone comment on blu-ray load times on Sony players versus the PS3? I'm strongly considering buying this when it comes out to replace BR playback duties on the PS3. Are standalone players still really slow compared to the PS3? Haven't kept up.

I think most current generation players have caught up to the PS3 within a few (nominal) seconds. I think some (e.g. the LGBD390) may even be a little faster.

But I am pretty sure that the difference has grown smaller and smaller, and that it should no longer be too much of an issue.

Plus, the player has the following feature:
Quote:

Quick Start Mode

Quick Start Mode lets you begin operating your Sony® Blu-ray Disc player approximately six seconds from the time it's powered on.

post #36 of 1291 Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
I preordered it, any idea what chip it has for upscaling to high quality standard DVDs?
post #37 of 1291 Old 09-26-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

I preordered it, any idea what chip it has for upscaling to high quality standard DVDs?

If it's the same one used on the 360, don't expect anything great.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #38 of 1291 Old 09-27-2009, 05:04 PM

IHMO there all overpriced. I own two Blu Ray Players and quite honestly the pic quality isn't that much better than a upconverting standard DVD. Unless someone puts a zoom function on them to get rid of that god aweful letterbox format, which BTW your really not getting 1080P perfermence when your only using portion of the pixels. The interfaces are clunky, firmware is mis-match and buggy. On line steaming isn't all that either, substandard pic quality with NetFlix and a handfull of o...ld movies in HD. The pay services (blokbuster, amazon, etc) are too expensive. If I wan't pay per view I'll order a properly formated movie @1080i from the Cable Co.
I am looking forward to see what this new Sony can do. They are so late to the on line streaming game.
post #39 of 1291 Old 09-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Good evening. My wife was considering getting this new Sony for me for my birthday. How she chose this model, I have no idea, but from what I've read it sounds pretty good for the price.

One question though (since I am hoping to not have to upgrate my receiver just yet), to get the best picture quality I need to use HDMI. Problem is my receiver is pre-HDMI (or my budget at the time was pre-cheap HDMI). Is it possible to send the video out the HDMI while sending the audio out through optical out?

Hope so.

I stopped by a BigBox store yesterday to ask there and got varied opinions. They also tried to just sell me on a PS3. Since the price on the PS3 has dropped, it's tempting. Video gaming aside, what are the advantages to a stand along player such as this one, vs. the PS3 for blue-ray/high def video?
post #40 of 1291 Old 09-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Yes you can send video HDMI and audio either optical or coxial. The PS3 remains the flagship of BluRay considering it's a dual entertainment box and not much more than a standalone box.
post #41 of 1291 Old 09-28-2009, 05:23 PM

So, assuming I have an extra 50 clams, and I won't be using the player for gaming at all, do you all think I should look at the N460 or the PS3?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, but since those of you posting here seemed familiar with this blu-ray player, and/or it's predecessor, I figured you all might have some good ideas about the relative value and features here. Before my wife gets upsold on the PS3 instead of the stand alone player I'm just tyring to get some info on what does what and what might work best for our situation.

As far as I can tell, one of the big advantages of the PS3 is that it is also a great game machine. One of it's biggest drawbacks is that my universal remote won't work for it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
post #42 of 1291 Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew.Ri View Post

So, assuming I have an extra 50 clams, and I won't be using the player for gaming at all, do you all think I should look at the N460 or the PS3?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, but since those of you posting here seemed familiar with this blu-ray player, and/or it's predecessor, I figured you all might have some good ideas about the relative value and features here. Before my wife gets upsold on the PS3 instead of the stand alone player I'm just tyring to get some info on what does what and what might work best for our situation.

As far as I can tell, one of the big advantages of the PS3 is that it is also a great game machine. One of it's biggest drawbacks is that my universal remote won't work for it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I have a PS3. It is great.

But I am also thinking about picking this player up, mainly due to Netflix streaming.

It also streams a lot of other free content. Some of the sites (e.g. YouTube) are redundant since the PS3's web browser can also access them. However, the PS3 lacks Netflix access.

Also, I want to bitstream audio and let my receiver do the decoding instead of the PS3 internally decoding the audio and passing it as PCM (though the new PS3 slim, which you would be buyng, does bitstream).

But the biggest draw IMO of the N460 over the PS3 is Netflix access.

If you don't have a Netflix account and don't plan on getting one, I would buy the PS3, since it has more features. If you have a Netflix account or plan on getting one I would buy the N460.

Also keep in mind the PS3 uses bluetooth and not IR. If you want to use one programmable remote, the N460 is the better fit. If you don't care about remotes, go with the PS3.
post #43 of 1291 Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

my question is that will i be able to stream, files, audio, video, photos in all diff audio/video codecs, using this player, wired or wireless the way LG BD390 does?

I have heard the only thing you can stream over the network is still pictures. Also, the lack of support for mkv, xvid, etc. is disappointing. Sony seems to follow rather than lead. If it wasn't for the HDDVD competition, Bluray would still be a buggy pile of crapola.
post #44 of 1291 Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post

I have heard the only thing you can stream over the network is still pictures. Also, the lack of support for mkv, xvid, etc. is disappointing. Sony seems to follow rather than lead. If it wasn't for the HDDVD competition, Bluray would still be a buggy pile of crapola.

Sure...I mean....it's not like LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc. all competed with each other in the bluray space regardless of what Toshiba was doing.

I mean, surely this new N460 network player wasn't Sony's response to competition in the bluray market (1.5+ years after HD DVD died). Surely....

If you want to talk about HD DVD, go here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151

for this area is for:
Quote:
Blu-ray Players
This area covers Blu-ray players. If you are not here for Blu-ray, move on. Please note this is not the area for software chat. (movies)

post #45 of 1291 Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

FYI: This player is now in stock at sonystyle
post #46 of 1291 Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

FYI: This player is now in stock at sonystyle

Does anyone know if Sony is still offering free shipping on one day a week (Thursdays?)?
post #47 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11
It's free shipping on all orders over $25.00. Anybody ordered yet? I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger myself.

Larry
post #48 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

It's free shipping on all orders over $25.00. Anybody ordered yet? I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger myself.

Post #21 - I pre-ordered on the 14th. Got express shipping though so had to pay.
post #49 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Is there any info on how good or bad is the DVD upscaling ? The 360 is not as good as others in the same peer group and I wonder if the 460 has the same video processor or not.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #50 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Post #21 - I pre-ordered on the 14th. Got express shipping though so had to pay.

Can you let us know how it is when you get it?

I have a $50 Amazon GC and am just waiting for some hands on impressions before pulling the trigger.
post #51 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Check the "deals" thread for 5% off this new N460 player.
post #52 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check the "deals" thread for 5% off this new N460 player.

didnt see anything in the deals thread for this unless i was checking the wrong one

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #53 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

didnt see anything in the deals thread for this unless i was checking the wrong one

see this post:
Quote:

...5% off sale...

Follow the link in the post. Look for the player.
post #54 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I received an email this afternoon at 3:40PM CST stating my player had shipped along with a FedEx tracking number. It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.
post #55 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I received an email this afternoon at 3:40PM CST stating my player had shipped along with a FedEx tracking number. It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Sweet...keep us updated.

I really wish they would commit to a firm date for Netflix support instead of just "Fall".
post #56 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
ObD

Ordered last night. Arriving tomorrow. I have the older fat 60G PS3 to compare to. The N460 meets my HT needs for blu-ray, dvd, and network content. I've grown tired of swapping the BT remote, the BT controller, and an IR keyboard depending on what I am doing with the PS3. The PS3 will become an exclusive gaming machine with a controller only.
post #57 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD View Post

Ordered last night. Arriving tomorrow. I have the older fat 60G PS3 to compare to. The N460 meets my HT needs for blu-ray, dvd, and network content. I've grown tired of swapping the BT remote, the BT controller, and an IR keyboard depending on what I am doing with the PS3. The PS3 will become an exclusive gaming machine with a controller only.

My situation is almost identical. I have the same PS3. I don't mind switching remotes much though.

I mainly want this player for Netflix (and to see my receiver say trueHD and DTS HD MA, I know...lame).

But the other content sounds cool, especially FEARnet (free movies hopefully??), Sony Home Pictures (free movies hopefully??) and epicurious (video recipes maybe??), and I think this has CBS sitcom content and Amazon On Demand too (since Amazon On Demand is included in their Bravia Internet Video Link suite of content providers). You Tube doesn't hurt either. Plus music via Slacker.

I figure I would rather have more free content (which Sony provides via its 25 content providers) than have access to things like CinemaNow and Vudu (e.g. the LG BD390) since those cost money, and I think digital downloads are overpriced at the moment.

Please post your impressions once you receive your unit. Laggards like me wait for people like you to get it first before jumping.
post #58 of 1291 Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My situation is almost identical. I have the same PS3. I don't mind switching remotes much though.

I mainly want this player for Netflix (and to see my receiver say trueHD and DTS HD MA, I know...lame).

But the other content sounds cool, especially FEARnet (free movies hopefully??), Sony Home Pictures (free movies hopefully??) and epicurious (video recipes maybe??), and I think this has CBS sitcom content and Amazon On Demand too (since Amazon On Demand is included in their Bravia Internet Video Link suite of content providers). You Tube doesn't hurt either. Plus music via Slacker.

I figure I would rather have more free content (which Sony provides via its 25 content providers) than have access to things like CinemaNow and Vudu (e.g. the LG BD390) since those cost money, and I think digital downloads are overpriced at the moment.

Please post your impressions once you receive your unit. Laggards like me wait for people like you to get it first before jumping.

I'm with you both. I originally got a Blu-ray player to use my PS3 only for games. I got a Samsung Blu-ray player with Netflix so I wouldn't have to use my 'loud' Xbox 360 all the time. Unfortunately, the Samsung BDP-1590 hasn't been glitch free in the Blu-ray and DVD department (FOR ME) unlike the Sony BDP-S360 I already have (purchase because of the Samsung issues) which has been solid. It was only missing Netflix and other down load content.

With the N460, I'll have both reliable Blu-ray playback and Netflix in my main HT system freeing up both consoles for just gaming duties. And of course to see DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD text and logos light up too.

Looking back, I wish I could have just kept using the PS3 a little longer. Didn't foresee the playback troubles of the Samsung either. I still use it as it plays fine most of the time and puts Netflix in another room, it just will not be a part of my main system like the N460.
post #59 of 1291 Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I just received and hooked up the N460 a few minutes ago. It is slightly taller than the S360 but I was still able to fit it into my cabinet.

The menu system is a slightly refined version of the S360 with additional options of course for the down load services, etc.

The firmware shipped is currently still the latest version (M02.R.021). No update found.

Slacker Radio is only coming soon. It was difficult getting back out of it from a message window stating it was coming soon.

Globe icon on the front of the unit lights up when "on-line".

Under a network option on the XMB there is an option to "Activate Advanced Features". This gives you a registration code and an address to go to on a PC to register the unit with their "Essentials" network.

Unfortunately, at almost the end of the registration process, I keep getting a "Unknown error. java.lang.NullPointerException" error within the browser and can not continue. On the player, the registration screen never updates and only new codes are generated. I've emailed Sony at 'cetier2support@am.sony.com' which is from a "Contact Us" link on the site just under the registration information I entered. I updated my Java to the latest version and I've tried several different browsers without luck.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

P.S. The remote is the same as the N360's and still doesn't have an eject button. The IR codes are thankfully the same and my programmed universal remote (with Eject) still works.
post #60 of 1291 Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Unfortunately, at almost the end of the registration process, I keep getting a "Unknown error. java.lang.NullPointerException" error within the browser and can not continue. On the player, the registration screen never updates and only new codes are generated. I've emailed Sony at 'cetier2support@am.sony.com' which is from a "Contact Us" link on the site just under the registration information I entered. I updated by Java to the latest version and I've tried several different browsers without luck.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Ah the joys of being the first kid on the block with a new toy. Hopefully this gets fixed soon and I look forward to reading your updates.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page