NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got update 146 and all I have is Slacker and NPR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I now have Pandora added to Slacker and NPR. Thanks for the post noting it was added. It made me look for it and register.

My favorite toy
Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I misplaced my 460 User Manual; how do I play a movie clip which I downloaded to a a USB stick attached to the back of the Sony 460 ? It plays on my PC using the DIVX & Windows Media Player.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Sony doesn't do divx.

Damn...so no way to get it to play then ?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 436
You could re-encode it to AVCHD or something on a DVD-R and play it that way. The only files the 460 can play via USB are photos. Otherwise you really need a different player for that kind of thing (LG and Insignia come to mind).

HERE's the manual, BTW.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFjr View Post

The player downloaded version 146 of the firmware tonight. Noticed on the Sony website it was released today.

I didn't have any problems with Shutter Island prior to the update. The only disc I have had issues with is the first Harry Potter movie - it freezes at different points during the movie and you have to restart. No pattern other than it always fails at some point. I need to check the movie now with this new firmware.

Still no go on the first HP movie. It plays fine up to around chapter 11 and then begins to stutter and freeze. You can not jump past the problem. The movie is unwatchable (some would say in more ways than one...but I thought it was pretty good...).

My Panny BD30 plays it just fine - so it is not the disc itself.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 AM

Liked: 11
If this post is in the wrong place, my apologies. But I'm having a really weird issue with my player and Sony's techs haven't been very helpful.

I got the player back in January and bought a few BD's to test it out. As far as I could tell, every BD worked flawlessly with the player. However, I got bored this month so I went back to my dvd's and started playing a few of those on this player. Right off the bat I noticed there was a brief pausing issue on U2's Live at the Red Rocks. I checked the disc and it had no blemishes whatosever, so I put it in my dvdrom on my pc and there was no brief pausing on the scene that briefly paused on the blu ray player.

So I called Sony and they had me update the firmware and do the reboot thing, which I did. They then had me reset all of the settings to factor default, which I did. But the issue was still there on that one specific scene. So they told me they'd get the dvd themselves and check it in the lab. In the meantime, I ran a few more of my dvd's, I tried my old Friday the 13th dvd's and they seemed to be fine, I then tried Manhunter and it was fine as well. But tonight I played Shaun of the Dead and I got the very brief pausing again towards the end of the film.

I then put on U2's 360, the dvd version and about half way into that I got the brief pause. It then occured to me that the dvd's with the pausing issue, such as the two U2 ones were dual layer, while I believe the friday the 13th ones may be single layer.

So I'm thinking the player has an issue when switching to the single layer, much like a lot of the really old dvd players had back in the day.

So I re-contacted Sony but the tech thought dual layer dvd's were the same as dual sided, so we had a communicaiton breakdown. He then gave me tier 2's number. But I'm thinking the player is just defective and needs to be rma'd. However, I was hoping someone here could verify if the BDP-N460 just has the pausing issue with dual layer dvd's, or if I really do need to RMA the player.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devianza View Post

If this post is in the wrong place, my apologies. But I'm having a really weird issue with my player and Sony's techs haven't been very helpful.

I got the player back in January and bought a few BD's to test it out. As far as I could tell, every BD worked flawlessly with the player. However, I got bored this month so I went back to my dvd's and started playing a few of those on this player. Right off the bat I noticed there was a brief pausing issue on U2's Live at the Red Rocks. I checked the disc and it had no blemishes whatosever, so I put it in my dvdrom on my pc and there was no brief pausing on the scene that briefly paused on the blu ray player.

So I called Sony and they had me update the firmware and do the reboot thing, which I did. They then had me reset all of the settings to factor default, which I did. But the issue was still there on that one specific scene. So they told me they'd get the dvd themselves and check it in the lab. In the meantime, I ran a few more of my dvd's, I tried my old Friday the 13th dvd's and they seemed to be fine, I then tried Manhunter and it was fine as well. But tonight I played Shaun of the Dead and I got the very brief pausing again towards the end of the film.

I then put on U2's 360, the dvd version and about half way into that I got the brief pause. It then occured to me that the dvd's with the pausing issue, such as the two U2 ones were dual layer, while I believe the friday the 13th ones may be single layer.

So I'm thinking the player has an issue when switching to the single layer, much like a lot of the really old dvd players had back in the day.

So I re-contacted Sony but the tech thought dual layer dvd's were the same as dual sided, so we had a communicaiton breakdown. He then gave me tier 2's number. But I'm thinking the player is just defective and needs to be rma'd. However, I was hoping someone here could verify if the BDP-N460 just has the pausing issue with dual layer dvd's, or if I really do need to RMA the player.

That's what I was thinking. It was a layer change. My wide and I watched a DVD a few weeks ago and the layer changed caught my eye because I haven't seen then in a while.

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm on the phone with tier 2 now and they seem just as lost.

They're now transferring me to tier 3.

At this rate I'll be talking to the President of Sony by tonight.

I checked a few other forums yesterday, I think Fixya was one of them. It seems this issue is present on a number of BD units when it comes to dual layer dvd's. The issue doesn't seem to affect dual layer bd's because the layer change is handled differently.

So tier 3 couldn't help me much, he had to go find an engineer to talk about it with him and then he said he'd call me back. I just want to know if I'm going to have to RMA this thing or not, I'm hoping I don't.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Liked: 14
For sure an interesting discovery. I was watching my DVD copy of Tombstone and wasn't sure at exactly what point in the disc it was but it totally froze and wouldn't play.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:18 PM

If you can find out and tell me, I can bring that up when they call me back. The tier 3 guy said the engineers like the details, such as if its special edition or not and what have you.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Has anyone been having problems streaming Netflix HD movies through the player within the last few weeks? I got pretty solid results until recently. Now I get VERY frequent starts and stops, sometimes every couple minutes. Essentially I cannot watch any streaming HD movie anymore using the player.

The timing is somethat coincidental with the 146 firmware release, but I can't say that was it. Neflix HD movies play flawlessly on my computer, and watching a bandwith graph while playing (on the computer) I cannot see ANY connection glitches or dropouts. Stays steady at 7-8 GBbs.

Player is hardwared to the router and I've even connected the player directly to the cable modem with a short cable. No change. Went through all the steps Level 3 Sony support walked me through, no change.

Anybody else having good/bad results lately with Netflix HD recently?
Thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 PM

I called Sony for an update regarding the issue with the layer change delay, and finally got a tech who actually owns a bd player. He was honest and said that's just how it is with most bd players and he even notices the issue every now and again. We discussed the difference between the lasers in bd players and dvd players and the differences in dvd and bd when it comes to how the data is stored on the discs.

I guess the old Sony will stay hooked up for a lil bit longer.

Still a few films I adore that haven't been put on BD, like Halloween 4 and The Crow. And sadly, thanks to Disney screwing things with Dimension, may be years until the Crow makes it to BD. I heard it's on BD in europe but differen't bloody region.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataddict View Post

Has anyone been having problems streaming Netflix HD movies through the player within the last few weeks? I got pretty solid results until recently. Now I get VERY frequent starts and stops, sometimes every couple minutes. Essentially I cannot watch any streaming HD movie anymore using the player.

The timing is somethat coincidental with the 146 firmware release, but I can't say that was it. Neflix HD movies play flawlessly on my computer, and watching a bandwith graph while playing (on the computer) I cannot see ANY connection glitches or dropouts. Stays steady at 7-8 GBbs.

Player is hardwared to the router and I've even connected the player directly to the cable modem with a short cable. No change. Went through all the steps Level 3 Sony support walked me through, no change.

Thanks.

Yes, i've been having the same problems. Netflix blamed my ISP, but with 25Mbps FiOS, I know that's not the issue, esp. when my Roku box works flawlessly.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataddict View Post

Thanks.

I have my N460 harwired to the back ethernet port of my Belkin G router.

I just played an episode of Arrested Development yesterday, and experienced no dropouts or rebuffering at all. My ISP is Time Warner Cable, and my MAX download speed is 7.0MB, with bursts up to 10MB/download. I average about 3.0-3.5MB though(which I am P'od about, and am looking into), and still I had no problems, yesterday at least, with watching that.

I have the latest firmware(which I am guessing is 146) as well on my my N460. Best $80 I ever spent(got it as a second BR player. It was an OB at BB)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 PM

Hello everyone.

I'd really appreciate some answers. I'm pretty confused right now.

I picked up the Sony BDP-N460 today. My biggest confusion comes with replaying a movie after shutting off the BR player. I hit stop on a film, then the large green button in the upper right (I'm sorry for sounding like a grandma, which I'm not, but is this a power button? Standby?). Anyways, so I hit stop, that button, the BR player shuts off, etc.

The problem is I want to pick up where I started from at a later time. I did this all the time with my Sony DVD player. I would shut it off, simply turn it back on, hit play, and I'm back at where I left off.

With the N460 it simply restarts the BR from the beginning. I even looked in the instruction booklet but didn't find my answer.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first foray into BR. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

Hello everyone.

I'd really appreciate some answers. I'm pretty confused right now.

I picked up the Sony BDP-N460 today. My biggest confusion comes with replaying a movie after shutting off the BR player. I hit stop on a film, then the large green button in the upper right (I'm sorry for sounding like a grandma, which I'm not, but is this a power button? Standby?). Anyways, so I hit stop, that button, the BR player shuts off, etc.

The problem is I want to pick up where I started from at a later time. I did this all the time with my Sony DVD player. I would shut it off, simply turn it back on, hit play, and I'm back at where I left off.

With the N460 it simply restarts the BR from the beginning. I even looked in the instruction booklet but didn't find my answer.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first foray into BR. Thanks.

It is not the player, it is the blu ray discs themselves that prevent it from picking up where you left off. It has something to do with the way they were authored with Java or something like that. This isn't just a Sony thing, all Blu Ray players are the same.

The solution that the manufacturers give is that just before you stop the disc, you should use the bookmark feature to save your place. When you restart, you you can jump right to the bookmark that you set. That seems like a giant PITA to me, so I have never tried it out for myself. You should be able to find the Bookmark section in the 460 manual if you want to try it out for yourself.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

It is not the player, it is the blu ray discs themselves that prevent it from picking up where you left off. It has something to do with the way they were authored with Java or something like that. This isn't just a Sony thing, all Blu Ray players are the same.

The solution that the manufacturers give is that just before you stop the disc, you should use the bookmark feature to save your place. When you restart, you you can jump right to the bookmark that you set. That seems like a giant PITA to me, so I have never tried it out for myself. You should be able to find the Bookmark section in the 460 manual if you want to try it out for yourself.

From what I understand about this issue (and this was big for me as well), is that DVD players controlled this (and not all of them at that, most didn't have auto resume, Sonys usually did, I had a Philips that did as well, but my Samsung and Hitachi didn't). For BluRay, it's controlled by the software on the disc, not the player itself. So SOME BD disks will have this feature, others don't. I'm the type who doesn't always watch a whole movie in one sitting, and especially concerts, which I enjoy, I miss this feature. Perhaps this will be something built into more and more BD discs as we go forward. It's a no brainer feature to me.

Steve
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

My mind is blown. I can't fathom how BR doesn't enable auto resume on all discs. I did some research and it is the BR-Java discs that have this issue. But still, that is horrible. I often will stop a movie midway through and resume the following day.

I just went through my N460 instruction book and found no references to bookmarking. Can anyone help me out and tell me how I can enable this? Even this is a BS solution because you still need to allow BR-Java discs to load upon restart, etc. Extremely annoyed.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

Thank you both for your replies.

My mind is blown. I can't fathom how BR doesn't enable auto resume on all discs. I did some research and it is the BR-Java discs that have this issue. But still, that is horrible. I often will stop a movie midway through and resume the following day.

I just went through my N460 instruction book and found no references to bookmarking. Can anyone help me out and tell me how I can enable this? Even this is a BS solution because you still need to allow BR-Java discs to load upon restart, etc. Extremely annoyed.

As far as I'm concerned, a BluRay disc made without the resume feature is a defective disc.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM

The only way to overcome the shortcoming would be for the players to all come with internal memory, and software that allowed one to save a save position to that internal memory. A bookmark is a save positition, however since the player has no internal memory once the player is turned off the bookmark goes bye bye. The N460 could have also used a buffer like the older dvd players as well, a buffer to overcome that layer change delay on some dual layer dvd's. But like their tech told me, their top concern with these players isn't going to be how well they play dvd's.

It's hit and miss on which bd's have auto resume and which don't. I was keeping a list but I lost track.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Wait, so the N460 won't save my spot on a BR w/Java once I shut the unit off if I enable bookmarking? Seriously? That is insane. How am I supposed to know where I left off once I restart a BR w/Java? Do I need to write down exactly where I was at time wise?

I seriously can't comprehend how auto resume is not carried over with BR technology. Most BR new releases are Java enabled. This simply sucks.

Also why didn't the instructions of the 460 explain what the red, green, blue, and yellow button on the remote control do exactly? I still don't know.

Here is a list where you can see if your BR is Java or not.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/FeatureStats.php
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM

I wouldn't go by that list.

Halloween and Halloween (2007) are on that list, and the list says neither one has BD java. And that may be true, however Halloween (2007) does not have auto resume while Halloween does. Like I said, it's really hit and miss on which ones do and which ones don't. Here's a very short list of bd's I've tested. Ones that have it are marked Y.. those that don't.. N

Donnie Darko - N
Terminator Salvation - N
The Wolfman - N
Halloween (2007) - N
Halloween - Y
U2 360 - Y
The Cure Trilogy - Y
Silence of the Lambs - Y

The problem is, the discs that don't have it have to load. So even if one has a save point, they'd have wait till the bd loads, and then hits the menu screen, then they'll be able to recover their save point.

These bd's are authored more like video games than dvd's, so the loading and saving would have to be very similiar.

As for the bookmarks, I think one can save them to a USB flash drive. I'll try that today and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Well this is just plain ridiculous. It's something I'll live with but it's a step backward IMO. I've gotten accustomed to auto resume with DVD and never imagined not having it in all my future home movie watching experiences. Perhaps BR-J will enable auto resume one day, but for now we are all out of luck.

So bookmarking takes place within the BR-J itself? I don't see an option for it in the BR-J I'm currently watching ("The Hurt Locker"). Also hitting the labeled colored buttons on my N460 remote as I mentioned before does nothing.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM

I haven't really toyed with bookmarking, so it is possible that the option isn't enabled on all bd's.

And yes, it is a step backwards.

But I think Sony and the others will eventually make players that manage to significantly reduce the load time on those discs, and offer a way to resume where one left off. But like I said, it probably won't be the same kind of auto resume you're used to with dvd, it'll be more of a "load save point" type of thing.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM

I would bet you're right. It's just very disconcerting to come from roughly 12 years of watching DVDs at home with auto restart and then being faced without that option. You think technology is always advancing and making things better, but this issue with BR-J's is a huge flaw with BR IMO.

I'll learn to live with it but will hope very much that the day comes when I can just resume watching my BR-J where I last left off. Perhaps by then streaming HD will have taken over physical discs altogether. Who knows.

Also, and I'm sorry for repeating myself, but I'd love to hear what these labeled colored buttons on my N460 remote do. No word in the instruction booklet and nothing happens when I push them.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post

Yes, i've been having the same problems. Netflix blamed my ISP, but with 25Mbps FiOS, I know that's not the issue, esp. when my Roku box works flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I have my N460 harwired to the back ethernet port of my Belkin G router.

I just played an episode of Arrested Development yesterday, and experienced no dropouts or rebuffering at all. My ISP is Time Warner Cable, and my MAX download speed is 7.0MB, with bursts up to 10MB/download. I average about 3.0-3.5MB though(which I am P'od about, and am looking into), and still I had no problems, yesterday at least, with watching that.

I have the latest firmware(which I am guessing is 146) as well on my my N460. Best $80 I ever spent(got it as a second BR player. It was an OB at BB)

Thanks. You have the exact config as me - same router - same ISP. I see dmolavi is having the same problems as me. Movies seem to croak at the 40-45 minute mark for me. Then the problems escalate. I've forced a couple of movies to SD my using an old Linksys router with QoS where I forced the bandwidth down to about 1 mbps. Tonight I couldn't get even that to work. Like dmolavi, Sony blames ISP, ISP blames (Sony+Netflix), Netflix blames (Sony+ISP). I don't know what software resides where or who makes the decisions on how much to buffer and when, Netflix API/server or Sony BD. But something is messed up. As usual, PC works flawlessly.

I'll wait for the next Sony firmware upgrade, but if that doesn't change things, looks like time for a Roku or something else and abandon Sony for streaming.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 PM

It's a hard question to answer because the buttons do different things on different bd's, and some bd's don't use them at all.

On some, the green button will be used for bookmarking.

On others.. the buttons will be used to call up special menus.

On I, Robot the colored buttons are used to bring up special features.

On some they're used to go through art galleries.

So I guess Sony and Samsung (some of their remotes have the same buttons) didn't mention what they do in the instructions because they do different things on different bd's.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devianza View Post

It's a hard question to answer because the buttons do different things on different bd's, and some bd's don't use them at all.

On some, the green button will be used for bookmarking.

On others.. the buttons will be used to call up special menus.

On I, Robot the colored buttons are used to bring up special features.

On some they're used to go through art galleries.

So I guess Sony and Samsung (some of their remotes have the same buttons) didn't mention what they do in the instructions because they do different things on different bd's.

I believe you but I find it bizarre. So these colored labeled buttons potentially control different things respective of each individual BD? Haha, okay. At the very least they could have mentioned that in the instruction book. I've only played one BD so far ("The Hurt Locker") and nothing happens when I hit these buttons. I'll be curious to see what they do with other discs. So strange.