post #1261 of 1294 Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post

Will I notice a difference between a PS3 slim and a Sony N460? Audio and/or video?

I used to have the older PS3 and the only difference using it and the 460 for playing BluRay is load times. The PS3 was quicker, but the 460 isn't a slouch either.

Lloyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1294 Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawaSnack View Post

ok, updated to the new firmware and I was able to play the new Avatar but only once. Still getting the "invalid disc" error... guess I'll have to send in

If it makes you feel less alone, my N460 won't play any blu-ray titles that I have - every one comes up as unknown disc. As fate would have it, I'm already out of warranty, so I doubt that Sony will do anything about it. This is my second (and last) Sony blu-ray player. The first one I had (S360 I think), had to be repaired 3 times. Each time, they replaced the blu-ray drive. Now that this one is behaving the same way, I'd just about bet that it's the same problem.
post #1263 of 1294 Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphieNB View Post

If it makes you feel less alone, my N460 won't play any blu-ray titles that I have - every one comes up as unknown disc. As fate would have it, I'm already out of warranty, so I doubt that Sony will do anything about it. This is my second (and last) Sony blu-ray player. The first one I had (S360 I think), had to be repaired 3 times. Each time, they replaced the blu-ray drive. Now that this one is behaving the same way, I'd just about bet that it's the same problem.

The last time I had an "invalid disk" message, I just had a smudge on the disk. I wiped it off and all was good.
post #1264 of 1294 Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 AM

I am having audio issues with my n460. When I have the audio set to auto I get true HD through my vsx-1020 when playing Blu Ray discs. But I get no audio from Netflix or Hulu+. I do get stereo with pandora. When I switch the audio setting to PCM I get audio from all sources but only PCM when playing blu ray. Is this normal? I am using hdmi for all devices.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #1265 of 1294 Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteV View Post

I am having audio issues with my n460. When I have the audio set to auto I get true HD through my vsx-1020 when playing Blu Ray discs. But I get no audio from Netflix or Hulu+. I do get stereo with pandora. When I switch the audio setting to PCM I get audio from all sources but only PCM when playing blu ray. Is this normal? I am using hdmi for all devices.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Far as I know, not normal. My n460 is now HDMI into a BR TV, but served well into my 7.1 AVR too, HDMI. There, set on auto, I'd get TruedHD and/or DTS-HD Master from BD, as well as from files I have on a media box/streamer, and with Slacker I could do stereo or 7-channel through the AVR, with full audio from a video functions, Crackle, Blip, fashion, etc.

I don't use the Netflix or Hulu Plus functions. And although I use my Amazon account for free material, it all works.

Try a new HDMI cable.

My favorite toy
post #1266 of 1294 Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Does anyone have audio popping/chirping with streaming from hulu?

Here's a post on the hulu tech support forum detailing the problem.
hulu.com/discussions/9/256224/1044784 (can't post links yet, sorry)
post #1267 of 1294 Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if this player works with TRENDnet wireless gaming adapter? Or does it only work with the WET610N? Thanks.

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #1268 of 1294 Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataddict View Post

Thanks. You have the exact config as me - same router - same ISP. I see dmolavi is having the same problems as me. Movies seem to croak at the 40-45 minute mark for me. Then the problems escalate. I've forced a couple of movies to SD my using an old Linksys router with QoS where I forced the bandwidth down to about 1 mbps. Tonight I couldn't get even that to work. Like dmolavi, Sony blames ISP, ISP blames (Sony+Netflix), Netflix blames (Sony+ISP). I don't know what software resides where or who makes the decisions on how much to buffer and when, Netflix API/server or Sony BD. But something is messed up. As usual, PC works flawlessly.

I'll wait for the next Sony firmware upgrade, but if that doesn't change things, looks like time for a Roku or something else and abandon Sony for streaming.

I've been seeing the same problem when streaming with Netflix! It's too painful to watch. Has anyone found a solution?
post #1269 of 1294 Old 06-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlee72 View Post

I've been seeing the same problem when streaming with Netflix! It's too painful to watch. Has anyone found a solution?

I'm still having the same problem as way back, but much less frequently now for some unknown reason.

One thing you can try: If you sign in to Netflix and go to your account settings, look for a new "Manage Video Quality" option you can set: Good, Better, Best. I don't know exactly what it does, but it MAY throttle you back to a lower bandwidth stream. Worth playing with anyway, especially if your problem is really bad and repeatable.
post #1270 of 1294 Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataddict View Post

I'm still having the same problem as way back, but much less frequently now for some unknown reason.

One thing you can try: If you sign in to Netflix and go to your account settings, look for a new "Manage Video Quality" option you can set: Good, Better, Best. I don't know exactly what it does, but it MAY throttle you back to a lower bandwidth stream. Worth playing with anyway, especially if your problem is really bad and repeatable.

thanks! I'm showing my son some cartoon today and I don't see any issue. I'll try watching a movie later and see if the problem persists.
post #1271 of 1294 Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What did the firmware up date give us?

"uh...a weekday?"
post #1272 of 1294 Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

According to here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=49#div_pos_30

The latest firmware update did the following...

1. Updates BRAVIA® Internet Video to be compatible with YouTube® online service changes.
2. Improves BD-ROM playability
post #1273 of 1294 Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The 191 Firmware says:

Resolves an issue where an unnecessary warning may be displayed when playing some discs.
Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.
Improves pocket BLU functionality.
Note: The Blu-ray Disc player must be connected to an active high-speed Internet connection. Requires a pocket BLU compatible mobile device, and a Blu-ray Disc movie that includes pocket BLU features.
Improves playability of Internet video from services such as Pandora®.
Improves connectivity for Internet video.
Resolves a digital rights management error (DRM-1) that may appear when trying to play a video.
Enables the Blu-ray Disc player to receive the Netflix® Streaming Service.
Enables the Blu-ray Disc player to receive the Slacker® Personal Radio Streaming Service.

My favorite toy
post #1274 of 1294 Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Actually jmmesch all the things you listed were in past updates which the 191 firmware includes. The only thing it changes from the last update is what I listed before.
post #1275 of 1294 Old 06-26-2011, 04:24 AM

Ok, I originally posted about how the TrueHD tracks weren't showing up when playing bd's, but I found out that was because I had one of the settings set to mix instead of direct.

But now I've noticed that if I set it to direct and get the truehd tracks, I lose the audio on the interactive menus. So does it all come down to having a choice between one or the other? I read a few posts that claim "mix" is for secondary audio, and I'd imagine the menu audio would be secondary. I just find it odd that there's no way to have both the truehd tracks and secondary audio.

And why do so many of the reviews of the player even mention the fact the remote doesn't have an eject button? I don't understand why that would be an issue. One still has to get up to take the disc out. So I don't see how having an eject button the remote makes anything easier.

As for the latest firmware, after updating I noticed the load times are a bit faster now. I'd say the update trims at least 5 seconds off the load time, but that's just a guestimate.
post #1276 of 1294 Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm having a problem specifically with Amazon streaming in HD. Netflix, Crackle and even youtube all stream in HD. (I can verify this through my receiver, which shows them all at 1080i. Oh, I have everything hooked up to an older HDTV through component.) For some mysterious reason, Amazon won't stream in HD. I bought a couple episodes of Dexter in HD, and when I stream them, after the connection speed test, it goes to SD. (I can tell just by looking at it, but the receiver verifies the output at 480i.) I had a free trial of Amazon Prime and every movie I tested in HD also streamed SD. I contacted Amazon Support who did tests on my speed and said they were baffled because according to their tests, I was streaming at rates that should give me HD streams. I have an 18 mbps connection, so that's not the problem. I can also stream HD through Amazon to my computer, just not through the Sony player. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any kind of setting that could cause this to happen only through Amazon?

Thanks if you have any ideas!
post #1277 of 1294 Old 11-03-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a popping/chirping watching Jurassic park on blu last night. I changed my "BD audio setting" from mix to direct, problem solved.

I'm having another dilemma, is it better to have"audio (HDMI)" on auto or PCM?

"uh...a weekday?"
post #1278 of 1294 Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert84 View Post

I'm having a problem specifically with Amazon streaming in HD. Netflix, Crackle and even youtube all stream in HD. (I can verify this through my receiver, which shows them all at 1080i. Oh, I have everything hooked up to an older HDTV through component.) For some mysterious reason, Amazon won't stream in HD. I bought a couple episodes of Dexter in HD, and when I stream them, after the connection speed test, it goes to SD. (I can tell just by looking at it, but the receiver verifies the output at 480i.) I had a free trial of Amazon Prime and every movie I tested in HD also streamed SD. I contacted Amazon Support who did tests on my speed and said they were baffled because according to their tests, I was streaming at rates that should give me HD streams. I have an 18 mbps connection, so that's not the problem. I can also stream HD through Amazon to my computer, just not through the Sony player. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any kind of setting that could cause this to happen only through Amazon?

Thanks if you have any ideas!

Cuthbert, you can download movies to your laptop with Itunes (where your internet connection won't matter because you're downloading not streaming) or onto a hard drive with Tivo Series 2 (same benefit).
post #1279 of 1294 Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Ok guys I need some help. I have a Sony BDP-N460 player hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V663 via an HDMI cable. I bought the bullet and purchased the Star Wars Blu Ray collection from BB. Got it home and put in disk 1 and it wouldn't play. Checked arround and got some advice to check my firmware version and it was already at 191. Ejected the disk and inserted it several times and it finally started to play. (Please bear in mind that these are the only Blu Ray disks I have that cause me problems. Any other Blu Ray I have works flawlessly). I immediately went to the pod racer scene as I often use that scene on DVD to show off my surround sound system. I was shocked that the audio wasn't as impressive as the DVD... I checked my reciever and it was showing "PCM"... not "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" but "PCM"! I can't get it in any other mode. So I put in another Blu Ray that was DTS and it worked just fine. Put in SW ep1 Phantom Menace DVD and voila "Dolby Digital"

What the heck?!?! Anyone have any ideas?
post #1280 of 1294 Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM

I have been using my 460 for a couple of years now with a 2010 Cisco WET610N bridge, mainly watching BluRays and streaming Netflix. I was running an old (8-10 years) Cisco WRT54G2 as my wireless router until I started getting issues with all of my wireless devices not connecting. Today I just installed a new Cisco E2500. My wife's IPhone and IPad and my laptop connect ok, but I am getting the dreaded "connection status cannot be confirmed" message on my TV screen. I reinstalled the bridge with the original installation CD and all seemed well until I tried to connect to Netflix. Any ideas? We are having withdrawal not being able to catch up on old episodes of Bones. Help!

Edit: Got it fixed, at least for now. Went under SETUP/NETWORK SETTINGS/INTERNET SETTINGS/WIRED SETUP and chose AUTO. So many choices in the menu, its hard to repeat the selection process.

LG 47LN5200, Yamaha RX-V730, Sony DVP-S530D, JBL NSPii, SVS PC12-NSD
post #1281 of 1294 Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt78015 View Post

Ok guys I need some help. I have a Sony BDP-N460 player hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V663 via an HDMI cable. I bought the bullet and purchased the Star Wars Blu Ray collection from BB. Got it home and put in disk 1 and it wouldn't play. Checked arround and got some advice to check my firmware version and it was already at 191. Ejected the disk and inserted it several times and it finally started to play. (Please bear in mind that these are the only Blu Ray disks I have that cause me problems. Any other Blu Ray I have works flawlessly). I immediately went to the pod racer scene as I often use that scene on DVD to show off my surround sound system. I was shocked that the audio wasn't as impressive as the DVD... I checked my reciever and it was showing "PCM"... not "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" but "PCM"! I can't get it in any other mode. So I put in another Blu Ray that was DTS and it worked just fine. Put in SW ep1 Phantom Menace DVD and voila "Dolby Digital"

What the heck?!?! Anyone have any ideas?

Did you swap the discs out from bb yet?

"uh...a weekday?"
post #1282 of 1294 Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Well looks like my N460 is done. I recently tried to watch Band of Brothers and received an "invalid disc" error. Based off of the threads i reset all the settings, switched out the blu ray set, unplugged the network cable, erased and unplugged the memory stick. I also tried the steps on Sony toubleshooting guide on their website. So I gave up and tried to watch Castaway, which is a movie that I have owned for a while now, and it gave me the invalid disc error. Now the player will not play any of the blu rays that i own. The player plays dvds fine. Since i have had the player for a while and it will be cheaper to buy another one then sending it in for repair, I opened the player and cleaned the lens. The player still only plays dvd's on no blurays. Any blu rays loaded show invalid disc on the player. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know if not, time to start the hunt for the new player.
post #1283 of 1294 Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

How the heck do you select subtitles while streaming netflix?

Kagolu
post #1284 of 1294 Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

How the heck do you select subtitles while streaming netflix?
The 460 can't do Netflix subtitles. Only this year's 390/590/790 models can. They have a much improved interface over the 460 and also add 1080p streaming, better search, bigger thumbnails, more categories and a streaming speed and quality display showing bitrate and resolution. It's well worth an upgrade considering a 390 can be had for under $100. Here's a screenshot of the new interface:
post #1285 of 1294 Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The 460 can't do Netflix subtitles. Only this year's 390/590/790 models can. They have a much improved interface over the 460 and also add 1080p streaming, better search, bigger thumbnails, more categories and a streaming speed and quality display showing bitrate and resolution. It's well worth an upgrade considering a 390 can be had for under $100. Here's a screenshot of the new interface:
Thanks for the info. I was given the 460 so I'm stuck with it. Hopefully they will correct/add subs an update? Doubt it though.

Kagolu
post #1286 of 1294 Old 11-24-2013, 03:53 PM

Realize this is an old thread, about an old model, but it's still the one that I use. Mine quit reading BluRay discs just after the warranty expired. Rather than replace it, just settled for playing DVD's instead. Turned it on the other night to watch a movie, and had a notice to do a firmware update. Seemed odd after all this time, figured it was a long forgotten model. Did the update, and just out of curiosity, put in one of my BluRay movies, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it played just fine. Tried it with a couple of others, and they all played OK. BTW, firmware update is M02.R.193
post #1287 of 1294 Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix, Amazon TV, and Hulu Plus are all there. Plus much more!

My favorite toy
post #1288 of 1294 Old 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphieNB View Post

Realize this is an old thread, about an old model, but it's still the one that I use. Mine quit reading BluRay discs just after the warranty expired. Rather than replace it, just settled for playing DVD's instead. Turned it on the other night to watch a movie, and had a notice to do a firmware update. Seemed odd after all this time, figured it was a long forgotten model. Did the update, and just out of curiosity, put in one of my BluRay movies, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it played just fine. Tried it with a couple of others, and they all played OK. BTW, firmware update is M02.R.193

Thank you, I know this is an old player but I still use mine too, bedroom, and it is still going strong.

post #1289 of 1294 Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Been playing BD disks for awhile now on this player and finally got around to using Netflix but I cannot get a dolby digital signal out of the Sony Player when streaming netflix. I read somewhere that some of the older sony models won't stream DD....true? or are my settings wrong.
post #1290 of 1294 Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJcal View Post

Been playing BD disks for awhile now on this player and finally got around to using Netflix but I cannot get a dolby digital signal out of the Sony Player when streaming netflix. I read somewhere that some of the older sony models won't stream DD....true? or are my settings wrong.

True. Here's a list of the Sony BD players and what features are supported for Netflix.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/443
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page