NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post

True. Here's a list of the Sony BD players and what features are supported for Netflix.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/443

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do I need my Bluray connected to my network

I have a Sony BDP-N460. It can connect to my network with an ethernet cable or I can buy a dongle to make it wireless. I've never bothered with either.

I was thinking about replacing it with one that is wireless, but I can't think of a good reason to bother to connect it to the network as I have a smart TV.

Is there any?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
I have a Sony BDP-N460. It can connect to my network with an ethernet cable or I can buy a dongle to make it wireless. I've never bothered with either.

I was thinking about replacing it with one that is wireless, but I can't think of a good reason to bother to connect it to the network as I have a smart TV.

Is there any?
The only reason other than using the apps in the player is to be able to update your player. If you already only use the tv apps and don't want to ever update your player there is no reason to. For new players it's usually needed to be able to play new movies as they come out.

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 10-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
The only reason other than using the apps in the player is to be able to update your player. If you already only use the tv apps and don't want to ever update your player there is no reason to. For new players it's usually needed to be able to play new movies as they come out.
Thanks, that's a good reason, I wasn't aware of that. My 58" Samsung plasma has been broken(for good) for over a year. I have been using my bedroom 37" Dynex for a main TV so I haven't watched many movies. I will be doing more of that since I have finally bought a new TV.
Latinoheat likes this.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Hope everyone who's celebrating is having a nice holiday!

Anyway, been trying to find an answer for this problem from several sources with no luck, so thought I'd ask here since there are so many knowledgeable members. My problem is with my Sony BDP-N460 Bluray player - about 4 years old, I think, according to the receipt (which doesn't seem all that old.) Up until now, I've had no problems playing BD disks (is that redundant?) and think this player has a great picture and a great selection of Internet apps, but when I tried playing my latest BD, "The Maze Runner" from 20th Century-Fox, the BD wouldn't play past about 10 seconds of the 20th Century-Fox fanfare at the very beginning. It then goes into "Pause" mode with a black screen and the "Pause" icon and "BD Pause" showing in lower left corner. Blue light shows through tray door while this is in pause then, after about a minute of the black screen, player shuts itself down!

I installed the latest firmware and followed all directions from Sony that they suggested to correct the problem: deleting BD Data; resetting all settings; unplugging unit from power for a minute or two; firmware update (even though the player showed the latest version was already installed), but none of those actions corrected the situation.

Any advice on how to solve this problem would be appreciated! The only advice I got for this problem in the Sony forum was to buy a $49 Samsung! lol But, I have a Samsung "Smart Media Set Top Box" and it has very few apps, compared to my Sony BD player (and I also bought a Samsung LED HDTV but took it back after only 2 days, it was so bad compared to my Sony that it hurt my eyes watching it, even after spending 2 days trying to adjust color, brightness, etc. to be more lifelike!)

Thanks for reading this and for your help!

Happy New Year!

P.S. I thought the problem might be the disk, so took it back and exchanged it for a new, sealed one, but the new disk still has the same problems when I try to play it. Also, the included DVD plays fine; it's just the BD that won't play.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teke978 View Post
Hi,

Hope everyone who's celebrating is having a nice holiday!

Anyway, been trying to find an answer for this problem from several sources with no luck, so thought I'd ask here since there are so many knowledgeable members. My problem is with my Sony BDP-N460 Bluray player - about 4 years old, I think, according to the receipt (which doesn't seem all that old.) Up until now, I've had no problems playing BD disks (is that redundant?) and think this player has a great picture and a great selection of Internet apps, but when I tried playing my latest BD, "The Maze Runner" from 20th Century-Fox, the BD wouldn't play past about 10 seconds of the 20th Century-Fox fanfare at the very beginning. It then goes into "Pause" mode with a black screen and the "Pause" icon and "BD Pause" showing in lower left corner. Blue light shows through tray door while this is in pause then, after about a minute of the black screen, player shuts itself down!

I installed the latest firmware and followed all directions from Sony that they suggested to correct the problem: deleting BD Data; resetting all settings; unplugging unit from power for a minute or two; firmware update (even though the player showed the latest version was already installed), but none of those actions corrected the situation.

Any advice on how to solve this problem would be appreciated! The only advice I got for this problem in the Sony forum was to buy a $49 Samsung! lol But, I have a Samsung "Smart Media Set Top Box" and it has very few apps, compared to my Sony BD player (and I also bought a Samsung LED HDTV but took it back after only 2 days, it was so bad compared to my Sony that it hurt my eyes watching it, even after spending 2 days trying to adjust color, brightness, etc. to be more lifelike!)

Thanks for reading this and for your help!

Happy New Year!

P.S. I thought the problem might be the disk, so took it back and exchanged it for a new, sealed one, but the new disk still has the same problems when I try to play it. Also, the included DVD plays fine; it's just the BD that won't play.
Hi Teke.When you say you did a firmware update, does that include this week's update? My player just got one, after not needing one for years.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead0922 View Post
Hi Teke.When you say you did a firmware update, does that include this week's update? My player just got one, after not needing one for years.
Hi, and thanks for the reply!

Yes, I installed the newest firmware that came out on 24 December 2014...version ending in .195, I think...and it did no good

Thanks, again, and have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Did you try turning off BD-Live?

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Samsung 32" LCD, Oppo BDP83, Toshiba A35, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, DirecTV H21-100, CElabs HDTV tuner, PS3, Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030-972, Def Tech; SM 450, SM 350, CLR 2002, BP2X, Pro Sub 100, Klipsch KSB1.1, Infinity PS12
Living Room, Mitsubishi HD4000, 92" screen, Samsung 40" LCD, Panasonic DMP-BT330, DirecTV HR24-200, Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk; CS1, RC80i (4), Klipsch Sub10
Old 01-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
No, but I'll give it a try!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Well, I tried your suggestion, but no difference.

I even removed the USB thumb drive altogether - same result - then, after reformatting it on my computer and verifying it, reinserted it after shutting down and unplugging the BD player for a few minutes, but same result: the 20th Century-Fox fanfare plays, then the player pauses, screen goes black, except for the "Pause" icon, for a couple minutes, then the BD player shuts itself off!

I have a feeling it might be some DRM code 20th CF put on the disk that Sony hasn't gotten around to incorporating an appropriate decoder into its firmware...or I could be completely wrong about that! lol It's just that the disk DOES play in a cheap Samsung that's newer than my Sony, so why doesn't it play in a better, though older but up-to-date on firmware, Sony?

So, if anyone has any other ideas - maybe a rep from Sony who reads these posts? - I'd appreciate hearing from you about a solution. I don't really want to discard this player - the new Sonys are so strange-looking and cheap-looking compared to mine and, if they have the same software, who knows if the result would be any different?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anybody else's cease to output DTS-HD Master? Mine absolutely refuses to play this and only outputs 2 channel PCM when I try, many resets and serial setting changes later. It still outputs dolby digital like a champ in non-english. I wonder if it was that last update. Reading through this thread, mine has never had an issue playing any blu-ray ever for what its worth.