NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming

240K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  bswiz 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
NEW SONY BLU-RAY PLAYER INTEGRATES STREAMING INTERNET VIDEO

FOR ULTIMATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE

Device to Stream Netflix, YouTube, Slacker, and Other BRAVIA Internet Video Content

ATLANTA (CEDIA Booth # 1409), Sept. 9, 2009 – Offering the best of full HD 1080p and streaming Internet video, Sony today introduced the BDP-N460 networked Blu-ray Disc™ player.

Beside playing Blu-ray Discs and DVDs, the device instantly streams one of the largest collections of premium and free on-demand entertainment from the BRAVIA™ Internet Video platform including thousands of movies, TV programs, and music from YouTube, Slacker, and, later this fall, Netflix.

"Whether its Full HD 1080p or streaming video and audio from the Internet, entertainment comes in so many flavors that consumers want choice," said Chris Fawcett, vice president of Sony Electronics' home audio and video business. "Leading the entertainment experience, Sony brings the best of both worlds together in one player that offers more content than other stand-alone devices on the market."

The BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD player delivers full HD 1080/60p and 24p True Cinema™ output, decodes the latest advanced audio codecs, and is BD-LIVE™ capable with your broadband internet connection and purchase of external memory.
The BDP-N460 also features built-in software specially designed for use with the Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band (WET610N, sold separately). The bridge helps ease the connection between the Ethernet–enabled player and a wireless router in either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio band for optimal streaming.

The model also features a cross search function to make finding Internet content on the BRAVIA Internet Video platform easier.

Since many consumers own extensive DVD movie libraries, the BDP-N460 incorporates Sony's Precision Cinema HD Upscale technology that converts standard-definition signals (480i) to near HD quality.

Additionally, the model features Sony's Precision Drive™ technology, which helps to detect and correct wobbling discs from three directions, supporting stabilization of warped or scratched Blu-ray Discs and DVDs during playback.

The BDP-N460 can decode the latest advanced audio codecs including 7.1 channel Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS®-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio. The model can also output 7.1 channel L-PCM via HDMI after decoding.

It supports Deep Color video output and x.v.Color™ (xvYCC) technology. The model is compatible with an array of video formats, including BD-R/RE (BDMV and BDAV modes), AVCHD, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD, CD-R/RW (CD-DA format), and JPEG on BD/DVD/CD recordable media.
The model features an external port for local storage so users can add a USB flash storage device required for BD-LIVE content. A front USB port can be used to display digital photos.

Available in October, the BDP-N460 will be offered at Sony Style stores, online at www.sonystyle.com , at military base exchanges, and at authorized retailers nationwide for about $250.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/09...ernet-content/

#4 ·
FYI, here is some info on Sonys Bravia Internet Video service:
Quote:
Content

As for content, Sony has assembled a list of channels that seem to mostly be targeted at the 18- to 30-year-old demographic. It's worth noting that most of the content, excluding Amazon Video On Demand, can be accessed freely on the Web, but Sony does provide the content advertisement-free, even with the full CBS episodes. Here's a brief overview of some of the channels Sony includes:

* YouTube: Sony provides nearly complete YouTube functionality, including the capability to log in to your account, search for videos, add tags, select the most viewed, popular, and newest playlists. The one catch--you can't add your own comments.

* Amazon Video On Demand: Amazon's streaming video service offers TV shows and movies to rent, and unlike the other channels, there's plenty of good content. Most movies cost about $3 or $4 to rent and TV shows go for about $2.

* CBS: A selection of videos from CBS, presented without commercials. It's a great idea, but the execution is off the mark. While you can watch the latest Survivor episode or the premiere of Worst Week, we couldn't find any CSI, The Mentalist, or the latest full episode of the Late Show with David Letterman. (Editors' note: CNET is a subsidiary of CBS.)

* Yahoo Video: a competitor to YouTube that tends to show editorially featured videos rather than user-voted submissions.

* Blip.tv: Known for its video blogging services, the company mainly focuses on episodic content instead of viral video.

* The Minisode Network: Owned by Sony Pictures Television, the channel shows condensed--sometimes down to as little as seven minutes--episodes of popular television shows, such as NewsRadio, The Facts of Life, and more.

* Sports Illustrated on Demand: The title explains it all--short episodes of your favorite sports moments.

* FEARnet: a multiplatform horror network created by Lionsgate, Comcast, and Sony, where horror fans can watch free, full-length films as well as red carpet and convention coverage, trailers, and shorts.

* Wired: Based on the geek-tastic monthly magazine, the channel has a variety of videos covering how technology affects culture, the economy, and politics.

* Style.com: Coverage of the runway for those infatuated with fashion and glamour.

* Video Detective: The most popular movie trailers are categorized as HD but do not even close to hi-def video quality.

* CBS College Sports: a hastily assemblage of CBS sports videos that are neither up-to-date nor listed chronologically.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-medi...-32763930.html

Here's some pics:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6482_7-10000836.html

Free FEARnet, Amazon on Demand, Netflix, YouTube, Slacker...hmmmm....lookout Samsung and LG players....

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17150648

Odd that the more expensive 560 has been left out of the fun.

I expect to see a "BDP-N660" or some such number that replaces the 560 with networking features. Soon I would think.

My guess is that this happened rather quickly with Sony.

Anyone know if the PS3 will be upgraded for Netflix etc.?

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/17151876

"LOS ANGELES July 14, 2008 An exciting new home theater experience is coming to living rooms this holiday season. At the E3 Media and Business Summit, Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq MSFT) and Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today unveiled an exclusive partnership to offer consumers the ability to instantly stream movies and TV episodes from Netflix to the television via the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. Xbox 360 will be the only game system that lets users instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix."

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...tstreampr.mspx

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/17153054

"LOS ANGELES July 14, 2008 An exciting new home theater experience is coming to living rooms this holiday season. At the E3 Media and Business Summit, Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq MSFT) and Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today unveiled an exclusive partnership to offer consumers the ability to instantly stream movies and TV episodes from Netflix to the television via the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system. Xbox 360 will be the only game system that lets users instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix."

Thanks for the research on this point. However, that was a year ago and things do change.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/17153054

It does say game system specifically. There are plenty of non game systems today that stream Netflix.

#15 ·
I'm very interested in this player. My Panasonic BD30 is dying a slow death and the N460 won't be out soon enough for me. Is anyone using Netflix streaming now? Is it available in BD quality video or even 720P? How's the video quality overall? I'm a longtime Netflix user and look forward to eliminating the mechanical aspect of video playback from a player as soon as possible. I've gone to streaming lossless audio in the past year and look forward to doing the same with video ASAP.

#16 ·
I stream netflix on my htpc and it's pretty good but nowhere near BD, not even DVD. Also the online library is not nearly as big as the disc library, so I wouldn't expect it to replace discs anytime soon. I'd say it's a good supplement at the moment, not a replacement. I recommend you try it yourself on your pc before getting too excited about this new sony if you're expecting to replace discs. It will be a nice alternative to a htpc though.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator /forum/post/17170951

I'm very interested in this player. My Panasonic BD30 is dying a slow death and the N460 won't be out soon enough for me. Is anyone using Netflix streaming now? Is it available in BD quality video or even 720P? How's the video quality overall? I'm a longtime Netflix user and look forward to eliminating the mechanical aspect of video playback from a player as soon as possible. I've gone to streaming lossless audio in the past year and look forward to doing the same with video ASAP.

The stream I am get from Netflix on my Roku is IMO as good as DVD certainly better than SD, if your internet connection is 3mb or faster you should see the same.

There is some 720p only HD content and it looks very good but of course not nearly as good as Blu-ray.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/17149484

...Free FEARnet, Amazon on Demand, Netflix, YouTube, Slacker...hmmmm....lookout Samsung and LG players....

The LG's have YouTube, Netflix and Roxio CinemaNow.. some other thing "coming soon" that I've not heard of..

BUT with a retail price of $250.... This Sony is more expensive than the LG BD370, and if you have to add something like the Linksys WET610n to make the Sony unit Wireless-N capable, then add $99.99 (retail) which makes the Sony more expensive than the LG BD390.

More importantly, the BD390 has a very nice picture on my Sony 46XBR6. The same, if not better, than our PS3 for blueray. And it does a great job upconverting our DVDs. Streaming Netflix movies are watchable, but kind of like watching SD TV programs. Their "HD" streaming options look very good, about "DVD Quality."

I haven't looked at the Samsungs to compare.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator /forum/post/17170951

You can go to "watch instantly" and select HD as a category to get an idea of what's available now in HD. There aren't not many A-list movies, but some decent TV selections. The "HD" quality on my 42" Aquos is acceptable for TV shows, not much worse than Comcast HD On Demand. The sound is 2-channel. It's a little better than a well-mastered DVD, upscaled, overall, as long as there's not too much motion onscreen.

Most selections are still available only in SD, and I consider the quality nearly unwatchable on an HDTV of any size. Unless you move way far away.

IMO this feature is a long, long way from replacing optical media, and probably will never replace Blu-ray in terms of quality.

I'm using a TiVo HD, by the way, and I have also experienced occasional instances when a show I was Watching Now would just stop and drop back to the interface several times.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/17174447

IMO this feature is a long, long way from replacing optical media, and probably will never replace Blu-ray in terms of quality.

Thanks. That's the type of comment I was looking for. I'll try it out on my Mac but I'll keep my expectations in check. Maybe I'll drop Netflix a note and ask them if more HD content with proper audio is coming. I currently have an AppleTV and can download movies there if I want. But being a heavy Netflix user that's been with them for a decade I was hoping they were really going to get with the program on downloading movies. I guess the future is still a ways off.

#21 ·
I've just pre-ordered the BDP-N460. I'm currently using a BDP-S360 that's been pretty solid. DVD up-conversion is just OK but that's been OK with me. I've got a Samsung BD-P1590 that can stream but Blu-ray playback isn't 100% yet and the last thing I need is a home theater newbie coming over and busting my chops when a movie freezes or glitches.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/17171204

I stream netflix on my htpc and it's pretty good but nowhere near BD, not even DVD.

FYI, you can't stream Netflix HD on any PC. PCs are limited to SD streaming only. HD streaming is about 5mbps, SD is even less, certainly won't be anywhere near BD quality but passable consider you don't have to wait for the mail.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/17150648

Odd that the more expensive 560 has been left out of the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/17151876

I expect to see a "BDP-N660" or some such number that replaces the 560 with networking features. Soon I would think.

My guess is that this happened rather quickly with Sony.

The BDP-N460 is almost identical the BDP-S560 with the internet video streaming feature added on and a USB port.

When compared side by side on the Sony Style site, the only differences are an S-video output on the rear of the S560 which is slightly higher and weighs a few more ounces.

The price difference is $100.

Your getting more for considerably less money.

Perhaps the "N-660" will have internal storage capability?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.