Sherwood BDP-5004 - Much improved and it appears to be region free - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 175 Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1 gripe: The BDP-5004 doesn't have S/PDIF Optical Out - Coax only

This is not a major deal, it does have 7.1 analog out (which I can't use at the moment!).

I purchased a Coax-to-Optical S/PDIF converter to do the job.

It is possible that the connector is on the board, but this was easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 175 Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM

Hi. I purchased the Sherwood BDP5004 as a present for my folks thru an Amazon seller.
I got a great price ,$105 shipped. I mainly was interested in playing all region standard dvds (NTSC and PAL) as they had no blu-rays in their library.

I found the upconversion depends on the source,some dvds played better on my older Daytek standard player.

Some, in particular,North by Northwest played beautifully on the Sherwood.
I purchased a few blu-rays and they played great. I was impressed enough to purchase a second Sherwood for my own use.

I have tested and played Region 1 NTSC, region 2 Pal, Region 4 pal, Region 0,asian imports,some dvdr copies and even some Russian dvds.

I ran into two problems with dvds on the Sherwood.

1. The collectors edition of Psycho would not play on the Sherwood. It displayed message "This disc is not formatted to play in this region"
(The disc is marked as region 1 ntsc.)

2. "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, from the Marilyn Monroe Collection came up pixilated at the main menu and would not play.

I tried on both Sherwoods and got the same errors. Both however would play on my Daytek player. I also made a copy of each dvd
and the copies played fine on the Sherwood.
post #153 of 175 Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM

[quote=golaj;20186087]
1. The collectors edition of Psycho would not play on the Sherwood. It displayed message "This disc is not formatted to play in this region"
(The disc is marked as region 1 ntsc.)

This unit comes set at Region 0. Some DVDs are being made "anti region free", if that's a real term. Family Guy "It's a Trap" Region 1 pulled the same crap on me. Sometimes these studios make you laugh, I mean is that really something they need to do?

Fortunately for us, the BDP-5004 can answer the call. You just have to set the region to 1(I'm assuming you're in the U.S.) and you'll be watching Norman Bates behaving badly in no time. Just enter code 973511, the first "1" in this code indicates the DVD region, with the remote and no disc in the tray.
post #154 of 175 Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM

Guys,
Could any of you please provide me the old region free firmware dated Aug 2009?

Regards,
Madhur
post #155 of 175 Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Madhur, I sent you a PM...let me know if that works for you.
post #156 of 175 Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

You have to update to an earlier firmware as explained above.

Where can I find one? I've been looking on the net with no avail, only one I found is the one for BDP5003 on the Sherwood site. My BDP5004 has fw version 2.6.24.7_330 from Aug 10, 2009, and I cannot change BR region. It is dvd multiregion though.

Also, the pause key on my remote doesn't work, anyone has the same issue?
post #157 of 175 Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 AM

That firmware is old enough to be region changable. Sounds like your remote is faulty.
post #158 of 175 Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Could someone please help me out with getting a copy of the August 2009 firmware? I'm finding that branching blu-rays (like the Aliens box set and Once Upon a Time in the West) don't play all that great w/ that particular firmware and I'd like to try to experiment w/ upgrading for playing the branching, newer titles and then reverting for region "b" titles.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!
post #159 of 175 Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-DefNerd View Post

Could someone please help me out with getting a copy of the August 2009 firmware? I'm finding that branching blu-rays (like the Aliens box set and Once Upon a Time in the West) don't play all that great w/ that particular firmware and I'd like to try to experiment w/ upgrading for playing the branching, newer titles and then reverting for region "b" titles.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

You're right that branching Blu-rays do seem to cause hiccups on the Sherwood, at least with the older firmware. I would be interested to know if you find the newer (but still pretty old) firmware improves performance.

I get around that problem by using a more recent Sony machine to play my Region A/1 discs and reserving the Sherwood for titles from across the Big Pond.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #160 of 175 Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Francis View Post

Madhur, I sent you a PM...let me know if that works for you.

Francis,
You made my day... It worked very well... yes, i can switch regions now. Thanks a ton. BTW, Sorry for veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery delayed response.

Madhur
post #161 of 175 Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 AM

I haven't really followed the whole region free Blu-ray player thing much, is this player one of the only options, or is there a newer one?

I can get this player for just over $100 shipped and was wondering if it's worth it. Or are there other, better options?
post #162 of 175 Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 View Post

I haven't really followed the whole region free Blu-ray player thing much, is this player one of the only options, or is there a newer one?

I can get this player for just over $100 shipped and was wondering if it's worth it. Or are there other, better options?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20654948
post #163 of 175 Old 12-16-2011, 03:21 PM

Hey, seeing as this thread hasn't seen a lot of activity lately, I'd appreciate if anyone can get back to me quickly.

It's harder and harder to find a new BDP-5004 kicking around at a reasonable price, but there are some BDP-5003s out there to be had. I was wondering what firmware I might end up with should I buy one, and is it possible to flash the unit with firmware that I already have for the BDP-5004? Or would it make more sense to look for an Insignia or buy a cheap modded LG?
post #164 of 175 Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Hi guys, I'm actually in a different situation altogether from most people. I'm actually looking for NEW firmware updates for the Sherwood BDP-5004. What I have now is the firmware dated Aug '09. I realize that newer firmware will negate it's all region blu-ray capability, but since I only bought my player back in May of 2011 I assumed that it had already had new firmware than that installed anyways. (I only ever wanted it to play the PAL DVDs already in my collection.)

The reason why I'm asking is because I've run into problems with freezing up on a few discs this week that I'm assuming is because of branching (the two discs are ALIEN and DEATHLY HALLOWS Pt 2) and I'm hoping that new firmware will fix the problems.

Does anybody know where I can get new firmware? The momitsu site is gone and Sherwood doesn't appear to be in business anymore either. They haven't updated their site in about 2 years.
post #165 of 175 Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Isaac,

I don't have BD Alien, but my copy of Deathly Hallows Pt 2 played with no problems at all. Which edition of the disc do you have? Where on the disc did you have problems? Did you make sure the disc was clean? Did you try reloading the disc or cycling the power on the player?

(So far, the only Region A BDs I've been unable to play on my Sherwood 5004 with the original firmware are those in the Fringe Season 3 set. When playing them on a Pioneer BDP-120 with current firmware, I discovered that the disc set had user-interface design issues, too. For me, swapping discs back and forth to view the extras was unacceptable.)

Selden
post #166 of 175 Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac K. View Post

Does anybody know where I can get new firmware? The momitsu site is gone and Sherwood doesn't appear to be in business anymore either. They haven't updated their site in about 2 years.

Have you tried PMing members who've offered it previously in this thread?

Does anyone have more information about Sherwood's status? It's a little odd to me that their Website currently has a fw download available for the (older) BDP-5003 but not the 5004.

Anyone have the San Francisco Symphony Keeping Score BD on Mahler: Origins and Legacy and watching it successfully on this player?
post #167 of 175 Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Sorry, old thread is old and newb is new, but: My BDP-5004 worked fine for a while, but now hardly plays anything. My first thought is to restore the firmware, but I want to use the August 10, 2009 firmware to keep it region free. So far, I've had zero luck finding an ISO to download, and all of the links posted in this thread were valid for only a few days. I don't suppose anyone here still has a hookup?

Thanks in advance!
post #168 of 175 Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine started having problems, but recovered after I turned it completely off for a long while -- several weeks, actually, while I sulked and bought a Sony S590. Since then, I've been using my 5004 only for my PAL DVDs, in order to maximize its lifetime.

Have you tried cleaning it?

Exactly what symptoms do you have?

Selden
post #169 of 175 Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Basically, I was getting errors whenever I tried to play anything. :/ But, a member here hooked me up with the 2009 firmware, and after flashing it everything seems to play fine. Initially my Departed Blu Ray wouldn't play, but after successfully trying several other Blu Rays and DVDs I tried The Departed again (due to seeing electronics behave this way in the past). Voila, that now plays fine as well. Success!
post #170 of 175 Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Great!

Selden
post #171 of 175 Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Does anyone know where I can download the latest firmware for this machine? I used to have the latest firmware, but I lost the file, and reset to factory defaults. As a consequence, I lost the setting for 24p.
Thanks! biggrin.gif
post #172 of 175 Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm also trying to get ahold of the August 2009 firmware to reset my machine. It's been having a lot of problems playing discs recently. Can anyone help me out?
post #173 of 175 Old 07-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Liked: 0
Sherwood BDP-5004 loses video and audio

I've been using my Sherwood BDP-5004 without issues since I purchased it a few years ago. Suddenly, the other day, almost every time I try to watch a disc, the audio and video will cut out in the middle of the movie playing and will not play anything for a few hours. It's like the machine has gone to sleep. Anyone else seen this kind of behavior? It might just be time for a new player but if there is anything simple I can try, I'm up for it.

-I've done the normal troubleshooting steps like changing regions/different discs/different HDMI cable. Basically everything except for another TV but no other sources are behaving in this manner.

Edit: To be more specific, I'll be watching a movie and it'll cut out, but the time counter on the face of the player keeps going as if it's playing. It acts as though I've unplugged the hdmi cable. If I restart the player, it shows the the startup screen, and cuts to black as soon as the disc starts playing. If I turn it off for a few hours, it'll start playing again, but will eventually do the same thing.

Last edited by btsjunkie; 07-22-2014 at 06:58 PM.
post #174 of 175 Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine gave up entirely: it won't eject. *sigh*

I bought an external USB BD player for my laptop, which I use as an HTPC. Computer disc players set the DVD region to be that of the first disc that you play. I use it only for region 2 DVDs, though.

Selden
post #175 of 175 Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
What firmware are you looking for?

Jeff Hipps
Sherwood
Hi Everybody,

I bought a sherwood bdp-904, and updated the firmware, following the process posted on sherwoodamerica.com.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it will change the dvd region from B2 to C5 , and I'm stuck with it now (my dvd won't play anymore and are all ejected).

Is there any way to revert to the old firmware with the correct region code (europe) ?

I've made a lot of search on google, and call french assistance, with no results for now.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sherwood

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page