Theta Digital Compli Blu blu-ray player. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
Nascar_984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.soundstage2.com/avtour2009/ced_dly08.html

Quote:
Below is the new $4995 Compi Blu Blu-ray player that will also play DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, and CD. The transport and video section is said to be based on Oppo parts, but the audio section and power supply are Theta Digital designed.

http://www.soundstage2.com/avtour200...ta_blu_pop.jpg




From what it looks like, all theta did was change out the power supply and are charging $4995 for a oppo.
Nascar_984 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I believe there is already another thread on this topic.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
Nascar_984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I believe there is already another thread on this topic.

Not in this section.
Nascar_984 is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
Nascar_984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any more info on this? Since theta has not released a HDMI upgrade for the CB3 yet there was talk that this player would tie the owners over until the HDMI upgrade came out.
Nascar_984 is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
Nascar_984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Theta has dropped the MSRP to $2995, looks like a deal compared to the lexicon.
Nascar_984 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
 
hdblu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this like a Oppo but I better PSU on board?
hdblu is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I posted this in the early this AM in the $20K Forum. It might be of interest here:
Back from Arkansas where I was designing and pre-wiring a new home. The Compli Blu now has about 350 hrs on it. This thing has surprised me.
First understand that I am a dealer for the following BD players: LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, JVC, Sharp, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz, & Oppo so with the current state of affairs Theta has certainly been on a back burner. I've installed a lot of BD players, and this will be the
first Theta. We are running an Elite BDP-09FD in our reference system at this time, and have been very pleased with it. There have been no
problems, and it bested an Oppo BDP-83 in an earlier shootout (of course it costs 4+ times more than the Oppo.) I've installed Five Oppo SE's,
but didn't have them long enough to put them in the reference system so I can't say much abouth the SE. Now to the Compli Blu:
Out of the box it sounded terrible, strident, thin, flat, no air. I put in a MC SACD, set it to Repeat, and went on to Arkansas with it running.
After I returned I changed the disc every day, Classical Symphony one day, Hard Rock the next, and so on for 6 days, 24 hours a day. At this point things had greatly improved. The unit had fleshed out in the low & mid bass, a sense of air and dimension appeared, and the stridency was gone replaced by just a bit of top end edge. I put in some DVD-As on repeat for 4 days, and went back to life. Now at 250 or so hours we got down to some serious evaluation. The following descriptions apply to the Analogue outs to a Theta Six-Shooter playing SACD (both Stereo & MC,) DVD-A, and Redbook CDs: First it was extremely Dynamic. It seemed to be very fast in that it had a very quick, clear leading edge on transient attacks. It was very airy and had a real nice three dimensional image. FR was sweet on top and nice natural mids with a tight fast bottom end with no wooliness. It was far more musical, sweeter, and dynamic than the BD-83, which I find less than ideal with its Analogue outs. It was also more musical and Dynamic than the old Compli and our Denon DVD-5910CI Universal Player.
On BDs the Theta bested the Oppo in every way in audio, which it should for the difference in $$$$. Compared to the Elite 09FD the Compli Blu was more dynamic, open and airy. The Pioneer is very sweet and musical, but lacks the Dynamics and Transient response of the of the more lively Compli Blu. It also doesn't have the depth of image compared to the Theta. This was shown most succinctly on the magnificent two episode import version of John Woo's "Red Cliff." It is a beautiful pair of films with great acting, history, sets, cinematography, and sound. The battle scenes are among the best I've ever seen on film. The Compli Blu rendered this a fabulous Cinematic Experience, one of the best I've ever enjoyed in my theater. The sound was ultra dynamic and drew the viewer into the story more than I'm used to, edge of your seat stuff. The sound field was completely enveloping, and the bottom end was crushing without beeing bloated. Simply amazing stuff. It just blew me away.
The picture seemed better than I remembered from the Oppo. More three dimensional with better color saturation, and less artifacts, but this is more from the fact that it had slightly more of these qualities than the Elite 09FD which had bettered the Oppo head to head by a small margin (via HDMI directly into a JVC-HD750.) The moveable sub-titles allowed for perfect placement with our Panamorph 240:1 system, somthing the Elite cannot do.
Sadly I did not get to evaluate the Theta as an HDMI Audio Transport, lacking an HDMI SSP in our theater. That will have to wait for another day.
It would seem that Dave Reich's work on the new Power Supply, along with the reworked and much more rigid Transport Mechanism has done wonders for the Compli Blu compared to its OEM Cousin. It would seem that this has improved clock performance, thus reducing jitter and allowing for more clarity and dynamics. I would favor it over the Elite 09FD as well, and also the big Denon. As for the Marantz UD-9004 I can't comment not having heard or seen it in action except at RMAF in an unfamiliar system. The only negative I found was that the Power LED was a damn light cannon in the room which lit up a whole wall across from the gear. It would require a cover if it's in the room.
This is definitly not simply a re-badged Oppo like the Lexicon, but a new High End entry into the BD Player wars that is worth an audition. I really didn't expect this level of performance from this unit. A pleasant surprise, and a Universal to boot. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 08-29-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

I posted this in the early this AM in the $20K Forum. It might be of interest here:
Back from Arkansas where I was designing and pre-wiring a new home. The Compli Blu now has about 350 hrs on it. This thing has surprised me.
First understand that I am a dealer for the following BD players: LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, JVC, Sharp, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz, & Oppo so with the current state of affairs Theta has certainly been on a back burner. I've installed a lot of BD players, and this will be the
first Theta. We are running an Elite BDP-09FD in our reference system at this time, and have been very pleased with it. There have been no
problems, and it bested an Oppo BDP-83 in an earlier shootout (of course it costs 4+ times more than the Oppo.) I've installed Five Oppo SE's,
but didn't have them long enough to put them in the reference system so I can't say much abouth the SE. Now to the Compli Blu:
Out of the box it sounded terrible, strident, thin, flat, no air. I put in a MC SACD, set it to Repeat, and went on to Arkansas with it running.
After I returned I changed the disc every day, Classical Symphony one day, Hard Rock the next, and so on for 6 days, 24 hours a day. At this point things had greatly improved. The unit had fleshed out in the low & mid bass, a sense of air and dimension appeared, and the stridency was gone replaced by just a bit of top end edge. I put in some DVD-As on repeat for 4 days, and went back to life. Now at 250 or so hours we got down to some serious evaluation. The following descriptions apply to the Analogue outs to a Theta Six-Shooter playing SACD (both Stereo & MC,) DVD-A, and Redbook CDs: First it was extremely Dynamic. It seemed to be very fast in that it had a very quick, clear leading edge on transient attacks. It was very airy and had a real nice three dimensional image. FR was sweet on top and nice natural mids with a tight fast bottom end with no wooliness. It was far more musical, sweeter, and dynamic than the BD-83, which I find less than ideal with its Analogue outs. It was also more musical and Dynamic than the old Compli and our Denon DVD-5910CI Universal Player.
On BDs the Theta bested the Oppo in every way in audio, which it should for the difference in $$$$. Compared to the Elite 09FD the Compli Blu was more dynamic, open and airy. The Pioneer is very sweet and musical, but lacks the Dynamics and Transient response of the of the more lively Compli Blu. It also doesn't have the depth of image compared to the Theta. This was shown most succinctly on the magnificent two episode import version of John Woo's "Red Cliff." It is a beautiful pair of films with great acting, history, sets, cinematography, and sound. The battle scenes are among the best I've ever seen on film. The Compli Blu rendered this a fabulous Cinematic Experience, one of the best I've ever enjoyed in my theater. The sound was ultra dynamic and drew the viewer into the story more than I'm used to, edge of your seat stuff. The sound field was completely enveloping, and the bottom end was crushing without beeing bloated. Simply amazing stuff. It just blew me away.
The picture seemed better than I remembered from the Oppo. More three dimensional with better color saturation, and less artifacts, but this is more from the fact that it had slightly more of these qualities than the Elite 09FD which had bettered the Oppo head to head by a small margin (via HDMI directly into a JVC-HD750.) The moveable sub-titles allowed for perfect placement with our Panamorph 240:1 system, somthing the Elite cannot do.
Sadly I did not get to evaluate the Theta as an HDMI Audio Transport, lacking an HDMI SSP in our theater. That will have to wait for another day.
It would seem that Dave Reich's work on the new Power Supply, along with the reworked and much more rigid Transport Mechanism has done wonders for the Compli Blu compared to its OEM Cousin. It would seem that this has improved clock performance, thus reducing jitter and allowing for more clarity and dynamics. I would favor it over the Elite 09FD as well, and also the big Denon. As for the Marantz UD-9004 I can't comment not having heard or seen it in action except at RMAF in an unfamiliar system. The only negative I found was that the Power LED was a damn light cannon in the room which lit up a whole wall across from the gear. It would require a cover if it's in the room.
This is definitly not simply a re-badged Oppo like the Lexicon, but a new High End entry into the BD Player wars that is worth an audition. I really didn't expect this level of performance from this unit. A pleasant surprise, and a Universal to boot. Regards, Norm

Pretty glowing review.... But shouldn't you have disclosed that you are a Theta dealer as well, Norm??

Theta=Lexicon. Both high end, expensive operations with large margins.

One uses a new power supply / transport and the other a new skin. (and adds $2500 to the price).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #9 of 26 Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Member
 
apesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Out of the box it sounded terrible, strident, thin, flat, no air.

My ears must be crap. I have never had a component that sounded bad when I first got it or improved substantially after many hours of use.
apesma is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 08-29-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Pretty glowing review.... But shouldn't you have disclosed that you are a Theta dealer as well, Norm??

Theta=Lexicon. Both high end, expensive operations with large margins.

One uses a new power supply / transport and the other a new skin. (and adds $2500 to the price).

Jeff, shouldn't you have disclose that you are "THE ANTI-THETA MONITOR"?

I know Norm pretty well. Unlike many dealers, I do give credence to what he says as over the years I have found him to be reliable.

And I do not own or plan to own a Theta Compli Blu. As I am the proud owner and user of the Marantz UD9004 in combo with the Six Shooter!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Pretty glowing review.... But shouldn't you have disclosed that you are a Theta dealer as well, Norm??

Theta=Lexicon. Both high end, expensive operations with large margins.

One uses a new power supply / transport and the other a new skin. (and adds $2500 to the price).

I assumed that was clear. I have not hidden that fact at any time, as you well know.
Big difference between a new case with no changes of component parts , and a new Analogue fully regulated Power Supply and new solid aluminum suspension for the Transport in place of the spring loaded Lexicon. Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Les Auber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd be interested in hearing how it stacks up against the Marantz if that's possible. With the Theta at about half the price it might be interesting.

IIRC prior Theta transports have been re-engineered Pioneer's. Given that the Oppo's been an overachiever from the beginning it would seem an good starting point to work from. I don't really have a problem with this as long as the re-engineering really is value added which this appears to be.

Just changing the nameplate and adding a huge mark up doesn't count. I'd have a real problem with the Lexicon approach FWIW.

Les
Les Auber is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post

I'd be interested in hearing how it stacks up against the Marantz if that's possible. With the Theta at about half the price it might be interesting.

IIRC prior Theta transports have been re-engineered Pioneer's. Given that the Oppo's been an overachiever from the beginning it would seem an good starting point to work from. I don't really have a problem with this as long as the re-engineering really is value added which this appears to be.

Just changing the nameplate and adding a huge mark up doesn't count. I'd have a real problem with the Lexicon approach FWIW.

If anyone wants to bring over a burned-in Theta Compli Blu I'd be glad to demo it vs the Marantz UD9004 in my system.

My gut feeling is that as HDMI transports, they may be close performance wise. But the UD9004 has two analog boards for outstanding analog performance, whether blu ray, dvd, sacd and dvd-a (stereo and multi-channel). Redbook its really good too though I don't think its as good as the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and Transport combo.

I've known Norm (Tyree) for years and he has earned my respect as having a sound audio ear which tells it like it is. Come on, if you were gonna ask and expert about audio, would you go to the Bland ("my home theater sounds great for movies but not for music, you can't do both) or Norm? HA!

I still have lotsa multi-channel and stereo SACD and some DVD-A discs. THe UD9004 does them better even than my prior Theta Compli! I doubt that the Comli analog out will sound as good as the UD9004 on multi-channel SACD and DVD-A, which frankly is a non-issue to most.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Les Auber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's the analog outs I'm interested in. When he favored the Compli over the big Denon I had to wonder about the Marantz.

For an HDMI audio transport I doubt there's reason to go beyond the Oppo though I've been wrong before.

Les
Les Auber is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post

It's the analog outs I'm interested in. When he favored the Compli over the big Denon I had to wonder about the Marantz.

For an HDMI audio transport I doubt there's reason to go beyond the Oppo though I've been wrong before.

I can't tell ya about audio. But I was suprised in that the video using HDMI out from Marantz to my Radiance XE then to my Sim2 C3X 1080 is clearly somewhat clearer, more naturally 3d sharp, apparently less noise
(noise I didn't know I had), better blacks with the Marantz vs the Oppo. I kept the Oppo in my system for a month so I could compare some blu rays that I watched. Now the Oppo was I thought sensational. I wasn't expecting any video improvement over HDMI. But I got it.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post

It's the analog outs I'm interested in. When he favored the Compli over the big Denon I had to wonder about the Marantz.

For an HDMI audio transport I doubt there's reason to go beyond the Oppo though I've been wrong before.

Les, I don't want to make too much of the comparison with the Denon. They were not in house at the same time. The Denon however has had many issues as reflected in this forum. The Oppo so therefore the Theta has been foolproof and much faster than the Elite or the Denon. I have not heard of any of these problems with the Marantz. Also I prefered the Theta on SACD & DVD-A to our own Denon DVD-5910CI (BD obviously could not be compared.) I would be surprised if the Marantz beats the Theta in Analogue SQ owing to Marantz's proprietary analogue output modules from their SOTA SACD Player. However it would be an interesting comparison. Maybe Steve & I can get together on this. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post


I've known Norm (Tyree) for years and he has earned my respect as having a sound audio ear which tells it like it is. Come on, if you were gonna ask and expert about audio, would you go to the Bland ("my home theater sounds great for movies but not for music, you can't do both) or Norm? HA!

When it comes to audio[sq], there are no experts only their opinions.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Les, I don't want to make too much of the comparison with the Denon. They were not in house at the same time. The Denon however has had many issues as reflected in this forum. The Oppo so therefore the Theta has been foolproof and much faster than the Elite or the Denon. I have not heard of any of these problems with the Marantz. Also I prefered the Theta on SACD & DVD-A to our own Denon DVD-5910CI (BD obviously could not be compared.) I would be surprised if the Marantz beats the Theta in Analogue SQ owing to Marantz's proprietary analogue output modules from their SOTA SACD Player. However it would be an interesting comparison. Maybe Steve & I can get together on this. Regards, Norm

I live in Atlanta so if you are heading to CEDIA and are willing to stick a Compli BR in your hand luggage we can A/B the Compli and Marantz in my system. It would be nothing short of a Theta engineering miracle if the Compli beats the ud9004 on MC analog but the only way to find out is to try. Come to think of it, since you appear to be pretty close to the folks at Theta, they may even let you borrow a compli they have at the show for an evening to do the shootout.
edorr is online now  
post #19 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Les Auber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Norm, If you and Steve or Ed can manage to pull that off I'd appreciate it. Theta dealers are extinct in these parts.

Steve, First I've really heard anyone say that a players BD video over HDMI was better than another. Everyone I've managed to see or or reviewed was all much the same. Differences in DVD scaling yes but BD no. Interesting. I'll have to try it when I get a new player.

Les
Les Auber is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post

Norm, If you and Steve or Ed can manage to pull that off I'd appreciate it. Theta dealers are extinct in these parts.

Steve, First I've really heard anyone say that a players BD video over HDMI was better than another. Everyone I've managed to see or or reviewed was all much the same. Differences in DVD scaling yes but BD no. Interesting. I'll have to try it when I get a new player.

Yea, I was shockingly surprised.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I live in Atlanta so if you are heading to CEDIA and are willing to stick a Compli BR in your hand luggage we can A/B the Compli and Marantz in my system. It would be nothing short of a Theta engineering miracle if the Compli beats the ud9004 on MC analog but the only way to find out is to try. Come to think of it, since you appear to be pretty close to the folks at Theta, they may even let you borrow a compli they have at the show for an evening to do the shootout.

Edorr, alas I am not attending CEDIA due to its GU location. I will be attending RMAF, but I don't believe our answers will reveal themselves there. It was last year there however I had the opportunity to hear the vaunted Marantz BD player in a Marantz two channel reference system prior to its public release. Superb it was. Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Member
 
slipstream8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since this unit is based on the standard Oppo BDP-83 [Source: http://www.thetadigital.com/compli_blu_info.shtml], I wonder if Theta is working on an update based on the BDP-83SE? From what I understand the SABRE DACs in the SE bump the performance up another notch.
slipstream8 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ca1ore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream8 View Post

Since this unit is based on the standard Oppo BDP-83 [Source: http://www.thetadigital.com/compli_blu_info.shtml], I wonder if Theta is working on an update based on the BDP-83SE? From what I understand the SABRE DACs in the SE bump the performance up another notch.

Or the impending BDP-93 .... or the 95 .....

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
ca1ore is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Member
 
slipstream8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doh!
slipstream8 is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Or the impending BDP-93 .... or the 95 .....

Correct.
tyree91 is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Any of you guys still using this spinner?
I have an interest in buying one- could use some advice from current / previous owners!
JA Fant is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off