Ayre DX-5 bluray player - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1442 Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Charles,

Any news on when the DSD upgrade for the DX-5 will be available for Audiac in Netherlands.

Thanks,

Olaf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1442 Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 PM

Couple of questions for anyone that knows:

1. Hooked up via USB from my Squeezebox touch. USB seems to take over the unit. I cannot switch out of USB mode when I'm done listening, unless I turn off the Touch. Is there a way to do this or will the DSD upgrade change how the USB operates?

2. The orange light. It is very distracting while watching movies. I would love for a way to dim this light with the rest of the display.

Thanks.
post #1413 of 1442 Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Charlie,
Congratulations on the AudioStream review of the QB-9 DSD! (http://www.audiostream.com/).

One can presumably extrapolate to the DX-5; I do.

Best,
Rick
post #1414 of 1442 Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Boulder, Colorado USA (that's actually my Doppelgänger)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Rick,

Exactly so, although the DX-5 DSD sounds noticeably (not dramatically) better, due to the improved audio and power supply circuitry.

Best
Charlie Hansen
Ayre
post #1415 of 1442 Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post

Hi Tim,

This has nothing to do with Ayre, the problem is the puls length your remote control is giving.
With some Logitech remotes you can change this pulse time, I had to do it for the volume control of my Accupahse amplifier.

Olaf

Thanks Olaf. Looks like I'll have to get a new remote then. I looked up the Logitech Harmony 650. It allows for control over the speed of the pulses, but I don't see anything about pulse length in the manual. However, their website lists the KX-R as supported, so I might not have to worry about it.

Auraliti PK90-USB > Ayre DX-5 > Ayre KX-R > Ayre MX-R > YG Kipod II Signature Passive
post #1416 of 1442 Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post

Hello Rick,

Exactly so, although the DX-5 DSD sounds noticeably (not dramatically) better, due to the improved audio and power supply circuitry.

Best
Charlie Hansen
Ayre

Really nice review, congratulations! BUT....on page 1 it says "DSD 128 capability and 24/384 are in the works"....

Does that mean that we can expect additional QB-9DSD and DX-5DSD upgrades in the (near) future?

Best

Ingo
post #1417 of 1442 Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Sorry Charlie!
I am a very happy owner of a DX-5 as well as a P5. I listen to CDs via analog out into my Classe SSP 800 in stereo bypass mode(even though it has a $3.00 volume control). I do prefer listening to well recorded multichannel SACDs via HDMI compared to the 2 channel layer via analog out. I assume most of us have a learning remote so for me the question is mute. I greatly appreciate your continuing input into this forum. Keep it up.
CRTGUY
post #1418 of 1442 Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Hi Charles,

Any news on when the DSD upgrade boards for the DX-5 will be available for Audiac in Netherlands ?

Thanks,

Olaf
post #1419 of 1442 Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Charles,

You can PM me and I will respond. There are a few things I am debating so we can discuss at that point. Also, you mentioned something about soldering that caught my attention in the past. I can't find the post but I was wondering what is the best soldering solution for circuit boards? I thought you gave that information in a post somewhere, but it alludes me at this point.
post #1420 of 1442 Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post

Hi Tim,

This has nothing to do with Ayre, the problem is the puls length your remote control is giving.
With some Logitech remotes you can change this pulse time, I had to do it for the volume control of my Accupahse amplifier.

Olaf

I programmed a Logitech Harmony 650. It works fine with the Ayre codes downloaded from the Logitech library. Unfortunately they don't have all the codes and the Harmony remote has difficulty learning the commands (even more so than the Theater Master MX500). Charles, do you have any idea why the Ayre codes are so hard to learn vs. other manufacturer's remote control codes?

One option suggested to me was to obtain the hex codes for the commands I need and send them to Logitech. Is this possible?

Auraliti PK90-USB > Ayre DX-5 > Ayre KX-R > Ayre MX-R > YG Kipod II Signature Passive
post #1421 of 1442 Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Dear Charles,

Today my tech has installed all of the PCBs that came with the DSD update kit. 3 questions arouse:

QUESTION 1. I have my DX-5-DSD connected to LCD display from the HDMI A/V output (HDMI Audio only output is set to OFF). When playing SACDs in the right-bottom corner of my LCD display I see "SACD PCM" instead of "SACD DSD". So, for some strange reason the unit converts DSD into PCM. Why is it doing it and how can I get the unit to play SACDs in native DSD?

QUESTION 2. Could you please post on this thread information on the latest firmware available for DX-5-DSD? What my unit currently has installed is as follows:

Main Version: AYDX5-59-0117

Loader Version: BTO500 85750500

Sub Version: MCUD5-27-0326

Chip Version: OB.00.01.00

Could you please let us know if this is the right one and the very latest firmware that DSD-upgraded DX-5 is supposed to have. If not, could you please post the very latest firmware information here so all DX-5-DSD owners could check their versions and be confident that we are totally up to date?

QUESTION 3. My tech says spinning a CD to break in my newly updated DX-5-DSD is a waste of the drive/laser life time. He claims it is enough to simply keep the unit ON 24/7 for 3 weeks and the break-in will be 99% complete. Do you agree with this and what is your recommendation?

Thank you!

post #1422 of 1442 Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoT View Post

Really nice review, congratulations! BUT....on page 1 it says "DSD 128 capability and 24/384 are in the works"....

Does that mean that we can expect additional QB-9DSD and DX-5DSD upgrades in the (near) future?
Hello Ingo,

Yes, at some point we will do this. It is just a firmware chip, and if you really care about the 6 downloads that are available in this format, you can get this upgrade when we release it. Don't hold your breath, though. It is a pretty low priority for us as there are so few titles available. I'm sure it will me many months before we get around to it.

Best,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
post #1423 of 1442 Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtguy View Post

Sorry Charlie!
I am a very happy owner of a DX-5 as well as a P5. I listen to CDs via analog out into my Classe SSP 800 in stereo bypass mode(even though it has a $3.00 volume control). I do prefer listening to well recorded multichannel SACDs via HDMI compared to the 2 channel layer via analog out. I assume most of us have a learning remote so for me the question is mute. I greatly appreciate your continuing input into this forum. Keep it up.
CRTGUY

Hello CRTGuy,

We know that many people like surround sound, which is why we paid so much attention to its implementation. It is by far the best HDMI audio output around. First of all, there are separate grounds for the audio side of the player and video side. This makes a really big difference in both audio and picture quality. It is very important to keep them separated. So the first thing to do is to run all of the video cables directly to your display and all of the audio cables to the SSP. Never run your video signals to the SSP. This will degrade the PQ due to the extra circuitry in the SSP, plus it will re-connect the video and audio grounds.

The only price to pay is that now you need to press two buttons on your remotes when changing inputs. Or you can get a programmable remote and make a macro that does it for you.

You have to be careful to keep the audio from your other video sources isolated. The best way by far is just to connect the other sources to your SSP with TosLink. If they don't have a TosLink output, then go to Jensen transformers and buy some isolators. Let me know if you need some help picking out which ones.

Best,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
post #1424 of 1442 Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 PM

I received my DSD upgrade 4-6 weeks ago and would like to post some comments. Unfortunately, my observations are complicated by other factors making it difficult to be as clear as I would like. Specifically, just as I received my DX-5 back from Ayre I set up my system to bypass the processor and sub when listening to 2-channel recordings. This yields a much cleaner sound, improved in all respects. Also, because I am in the process of a speaker upgrade, I have been listening to many other systems during the same period. This has made it more difficult to clearly remember the sound pre-upgrade and to meaningfully compare the before and after.

In general, however, I can say that the upgrade is an unequivocal improvement. What is most striking to me is a larger, richer soundstage, more balanced reproduction throughout the frequency ranges and overall a more pleasing listening experience. And it's kind of fun checking out all the hoopla around DSD recordings. I would heartily recommend anyone sitting on the fence to proceed with the upgrade.

Thanks and congratulations to Charlie, Michael and all the other folks at Ayre for their excellent work.

Best,
Rick
post #1425 of 1442 Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 AM

Just got my DX-5 DSD back from SUN AUDIO. They upgraded the firmware to version JGD and I'm happy to report that the DX-5 DSD now accepts PCM files through its USB input after having played an SACD. Very good, now it is complete (...just until the next upgrade).

Best from Germany

Ingo
post #1426 of 1442 Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoT View Post

Just got my DX-5 DSD back from SUN AUDIO. They upgraded the firmware to version JGD and I'm happy to report that the DX-5 DSD now accepts PCM files through its USB input after having played an SACD. Very good, now it is complete (...just until the next upgrade).

Lieber Ingo,

this should be the last upgrade for a while. It turns out that we can do octal rate PCM and double rate DSD. We might offer this as an upgrade. It is easy to perform in the QB-9 and quite a bit more difficult in the DX-5. However I'm not sure if we will do this or not. At one point I said we would do it when there were 100 title out in DSD-128. I don't think that will ever happen! Even then I doubt that it will be worth it. Most of the things that would benefit from this treatment have already been released. I just don't see how releasing an update like this would be helpful to anybody...

In any event this would require replacing TWO firmware chips instead of just one. It is possible for an end user to do this with a pair of curved tweezers and a flashlight...

Kind regards,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics Inc.
post #1427 of 1442 Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Charles,

Did you end up deciding on the coding for the remote?
post #1428 of 1442 Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hello Sword,

Apologies, we were completely sidetracked by the Pono thing. We can do almost anything. We only got one reply and that was to put both modes into the remote. Everybody else has a programmable remote. So just tell us what you would like to do and we will do it whichever way you think it easiest. Please send your remote back along with a note (you are in the US, correct?) and we will change the firmware for you. I am kind of leaning towards doing both unless it is too much work for the programmer.

Thanks,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
post #1429 of 1442 Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proceedputty View Post

Couple of questions for anyone that knows:

1. Hooked up via USB from my Squeezebox touch. USB seems to take over the unit. I cannot switch out of USB mode when I'm done listening, unless I turn off the Touch. Is there a way to do this or will the DSD upgrade change how the USB operates?

2. The orange light. It is very distracting while watching movies. I would love for a way to dim this light with the rest of the display.

Hello Proceed Putty,

Sorry for the late reply -- the Pono thing took over our entire factory for several weeks and a lot of things fell between the cracks. I remember I asked the programmer and he said that there is no way to change the behavior of the USB source. The idea is that you would only turn your computer on when you were done watching movies. So either exit the Sqeezebox program or turn off the computer entirely to regain control of your main system.

It's been so long I can't remember now about dimming the orange light. I know that he said one problem would be that if the orange light went off with the other lights that it would look like the unit was completely dead or lost power. So that is not a great solution. We could turn down the brightness so that each step was lower than it is now. Can you call Ariel at EDIT!! This should be 303-442-7300!!! The 7301 is our FAX LINE! Sorry... 303-442-7301 x231 and talk to him about it? Then we can come up with a solution that will be good for your situation. They took my DX-5 away and now I am without music. frown.gif

Thanks,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
post #1430 of 1442 Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Lieber Ingo,

At one point I said we would do it when there were 100 title out in DSD-128.

Kind regards,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics Inc.

FWIW. There are currently almost 200 commercial DSD-128 downloads available out of a total of ~1200 DSD downloads.

http://www.findhdmusic.com/albums/search/?q=&srch_title=&srch_artist=&srch_label=&fmt_dsd=1&res_1-56=1&avail_us=1

OK, not really 200. The site I used is showing a separate listing for each download site. But just looking at the Onkyo site there are 99 DSD-128 selections.
post #1431 of 1442 Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hello Scott,

And (just out of curiosity), how many of those 200 DSD-128 downloads would you care enough about to purchase?

Not 200? Hmmm.

OK, let's try again. If somebody gave you those 200 DSD-128 downloads for free, how many of them would you even bother to listen to?

Thanks,
Charlie
post #1432 of 1442 Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

OK, let's try again. If somebody gave you those 200 DSD-128 downloads for free, how many of them would you even bother to listen to?

I assume that you mean "more than once."  

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1433 of 1442 Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Touché, Kal!
post #1434 of 1442 Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

You know Scott, I went and browsed the list. There was one piece that caught my eye, "La Voie Triomphale" by The Staff Band Of The Norwegian Armed Forces. I've heard a lot of good things about The Staff Band Of The Norwegian Armed Forces. But then I saw that it was a 2L release. My understanding is that all of 2L's recordings are made in 352.8/24 PCM (so-called DXD) and merely transcoded to DSD. I would never purchase a recording that was sullied by that inferior PCM format. If I am going to purchase DSD, then, by gum, I want it to be pure DSD, from start to finish.

So I think we need to remove all of the 2L listings from the number of "so-called" DSD recordings. Heck, I can already purchase a player that will "upsample" even Redbook CDs to "DSD". I don't need to pay $42 for something that was recorded in PCM and then "upsampled" to DSD.... frown.gif
post #1435 of 1442 Old 04-23-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

So I think we need to remove all of the 2L listings from the number of "so-called" DSD recordings. Heck, I can already purchase a player that will "upsample" even Redbook CDs to "DSD". I don't need to pay $42 for something that was recorded in PCM and then "upsampled" to DSD.... frown.gif

Too bad.  It is a marvelous recording.  I am happy to be not so dogmatic. :D

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1436 of 1442 Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 PM

Hey Charlie,

I'm not the one who said "100 titles" without a qualifier.smile.gif

In any case, there are 74 listings from labels other than 2L, although some of them are the same items from different download services. Also, Opus 3 has a number of releases that aren't listed.

Your question about how many of the titles I would listen to (more than once) is unanswerable without actually hearing the recordings. And the fact that there is a bunch of little known music by little known performers doesn't mean some of it might not actually be good or even great, I would suspect that if people bought a Gamelan recording (not even knowing what that was) just because it was available in DSD-128, a number of them would find their lives enriched.

As easy as it is to dismiss "Audiophile" recordings because they tend to be lacking in musical value, let's not forget that If it weren't an audiophile favorite, many of us would never have experienced Radka Toneff's extraordinary performance of "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" etc.

Of course, in the end you will always run up against Sturgeon's Law.

Respectfully yours,

Scott
post #1437 of 1442 Old 05-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Charles,

I think somewhere you explained this, but I do not know where. Anyway, the issue is HDMI jitter for LPCM versus bitstream.

The below is from here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/10740

"kellybob,
With a properly engineered AVR you will hear no audio difference between 720p output and 1080i, 1080p or even 4K (if the AVR can accept that).

Try this: Set HDMI Audio Bitstream and play a track with Bitstream content. Do you hear an improvement when you select 720p output? If so, then your AVR is definitely at fault as there is no such thing as "jitter" when sending a Bitstream over HDMI (because the Bitstream data gets decoded in the AVR and jitter can only happen AFTER that point and before the data reaches the AVR's DACs)...."
post #1438 of 1442 Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Charles,
I just visited the AYRE website and could not find the DX-5 listed anywhere. The C-5xeMP is also missing.
So are you working on something new ?? Or are you getting out of multi channel music ??
I'm hoping to see something new soon. Or is it there and I just don't see it??

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #1439 of 1442 Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Charles,
I just visited the AYRE website and could not find the DX-5 listed anywhere. The C-5xeMP is also missing.
So are you working on something new ?? Or are you getting out of multi channel music ??
I'm hoping to see something new soon. Or is it there and I just don't see it??

Tom
Both of those models are discontinued and no longer available. The transport mechanisms are no longer being manufactured and Ayre wanted to save their remaining drives for future repairs.

We hear there will be new digital products coming but probably not all-in-one players.
post #1440 of 1442 Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol View Post
Both of those models are discontinued and no longer available. The transport mechanisms are no longer being manufactured and Ayre wanted to save their remaining drives for future repairs.

We hear there will be new digital products coming but probably not all-in-one players.

Thanks for the answer. Do you work for Ayre or have inside information?? Or is this just a guess??

I was kind of hoping that Ayre was going to use the Oppo 105 as a platform for a new universal player.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page