Ayre DX-5 bluray player - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1531 of 1543 Old 11-12-2016, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No DLNA for me. Don't want to run an extra line from another room.

I tried putting wav to mkv/mka container. Doesn't work. The files don't show up in DX5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1543 Old 11-13-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Boulder, Colorado USA (that's actually my Doppelgänger)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by @TOMMY@ View Post
No DLNA for me. Don't want to run an extra line from another room.

I tried putting wav to mkv/mka container. Doesn't work. The files don't show up in DX5.
Hi Tommy,

Just keep doing what you are doing. MP3 can sound surprisingly good with simple source material. It tends to "fall apart" with complex things like a full symphony orchestra. Here are a couple of great sounding YouTube videos of a Dutch group. The audio can be ripped to MP3s with commonly available tools. I would post them here, but the file size limit precludes that possibility.

One is mono at 126 kb/s and the other is stereo at 143 kb/s, but sound just fine to me. (I would love to hear them at the original 48/24 resolution!)

Best regards,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
post #1533 of 1543 Old 11-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post

The bad news is that there is no love lost between Panasonic and Sony. They were both trying to be #1 , and by definition there can only be one of those. Panasonic never made anything that would support Sony's DSD format. Pioneer was the "peacekeeper" and was the only major company that belonged to both the DVD-Audio Forum and the SACD Forum (junior partners, after Sony and Philips). If you send DSD audio to your Panasonic TV set, it will always convert to PCM inside the TV. You know that your TV was already getting DSD, as otherwise it wouldn't say so. It will always say "SACD PCM" when receiving DSD. This actually proves it is receiving a DSD signal and the TV is converting it to PCM. It is just Panasonic's way of making a "dig" at Sony - dismissing SACD as irrelevant.

Cheers,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
Hi Charlie,

I believe your interpretation of the TV display is wrong. It is highly unlikely that the Panasonic is capable of receiving DSD ( or even DTS) signals. This information would be contained in the EDID and would preclude the DX5 from outputting anything over HDMI other than PCM or Dolby Digital. The display must be showing the source information it is receiving from the DX5.

In conclusion, one of us wrong. Being, perhaps, an even more arrogant sonofabitch than you, I have concluded that it ain't me.

BTW While Panasonic did purchase the Pioneer patents for plasma displays, they never used them.
post #1534 of 1543 Old 11-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

J'Accuse...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
Hi Tommy,

Just keep doing what you are doing. MP3 can sound surprisingly good with simple source material. It tends to "fall apart" with complex things like a full symphony orchestra. Here are a couple of great sounding YouTube videos of a Dutch group. The audio can be ripped to MP3s with commonly available tools. I would post them here, but the file size limit precludes that possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zktm4vYtceg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpy11feAS88

One is mono at 126 kb/s and the other is stereo at 143 kb/s, but sound just fine to me. (I would love to hear them at the original 48/24 resolution!)

Best regards,
Charles Hansen
Ayre Acoustics, Inc.
Mr. Hansen,

I find the above post to be quite disturbing. I have been selling Ayre gear for over twenty years, confident that I was offering my customers products from a top rank audiophile manufacturer. Let me tell you, I have known many audiophiles and you are not one of them.

Indeed, your post proves that rather than an audiophile you are that scourge of our industry, a music lover. Even listening through my iPad speakers I can hear the effects of the high degree of compression of the Kovacs tracks. Accordingly I will not permit myself to enjoy these recordings regardless of the quality of the music, the performances or the production.

Oh but not you sir. You have let all these factors outweigh the sound quality. I would bet you spend a lot of time listening to and enjoying all kinds of music regardless of how far from perfection the recordings may be. Fie on thee. True audiophiles only listen to recordings with the best sound and on albums only the best sounding tracks. In fact, the best of us will only listen to the best sounding sections of a given track.

I am going to contact the FTC and see if I can get them to require you to put the following label on your offerings.

WARNING

THE CONTENTS OF THIS BOX WERE DESIGNED BY MUSIC LOVERS
post #1535 of 1543 Old 11-14-2016, 06:09 PM

I listened to some of the mp3s (CBR @ 320kbs) I encoded from high res files. I tried to like they, but just couldn't. I think I got spoiled by high quality source files. Or maybe my equipments are to revealing. Mp3s sounded ok, but just not involving at all. I kept forwarding to the next track. For background music they are fine though.
post #1536 of 1543 Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol View Post
Oh but not you sir. You have let all these factors outweigh the sound quality. I would bet you spend a lot of time listening to and enjoying all kinds of music regardless of how far from perfection the recordings may be. Fie on thee. True audiophiles only listen to recordings with the best sound and on albums only the best sounding tracks.
Who needs Brubeck when you have "Jazz at the Pawnshop?"
post #1537 of 1543 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I placed an order for a QX-5 today. I haven't heard it, but have every confidence it will be be a significant step up. To help fund the purchase I'm going to sell my beloved DX-5.

Charlie, you mentioned that the QX-5 optical input would not handle Dolby Digital or DTS. Do you happen to know if Apple TV or the Oppo 103 allow for PCM output and will be compatible?

Also, you recommended the Darby Edition vs. the regular Oppo BDP-103. I won't be changing my JVC RS35 DILA project anytime soon, so 3D and 4K are irrelevant. Do you still suggest the Darby edition in my case?

Audiophile Jukebox > microRendu > Ayre DX-5 DSD > Ayre KX-R Twenty> Ayre MX-R Twenty > YG Kipod II Signature Passive
post #1538 of 1543 Old Today, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wiens View Post
I placed an order for a QX-5 today. I haven't heard it, but have every confidence it will be be a significant step up. To help fund the purchase I'm going to sell my beloved DX-5.

Charlie, you mentioned that the QX-5 optical input would not handle Dolby Digital or DTS. Do you happen to know if Apple TV or the Oppo 103 allow for PCM output and will be compatible?

Also, you recommended the Darby Edition vs. the regular Oppo BDP-103. I won't be changing my JVC RS35 DILA project anytime soon, so 3D and 4K are irrelevant. Do you still suggest the Darby edition in my case?
I had the 103D and 105D before the DX5. The DX5 is more film-like. More easy on the eyes. Less eye strain, especially in a dark environment. My display is the Panasonic 65ZT60. Last gen flagship plasma.

I would keep the DX5 if possible. If you use spdif from 103 to QX5, blu-ray concert will not sound as good due to the 48khz limitation. Also, SACD will be down-sampled to 88.2khz from the 103 to the QX5. Better to use analog out from the DX5 for both.
post #1539 of 1543 Old Today, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Getting PCM out of your devices will not be a problem. However, if you get the latest version of Apple TV you will have a bigger issue, the only output is Hdmi. Using it would require an audio de-embedder.

The Oppo 100 series players are out of stock and out of production. The 4K 203 will be shipping in a month or so, no Darby version for the moment, probably because there is no 4K Darby chip.

There are 103 and 103D still available from various online sources with new players selling in the $1000 range.
post #1540 of 1543 Old Today, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @TOMMY@ View Post
I had the 103D and 105D before the DX5. The DX5 is more film-like. More easy on the eyes. Less eye strain, especially in a dark environment. My display is the Panasonic 65ZT60. Last gen flagship plasma.

I would keep the DX5 if possible. If you use spdif from 103 to QX5, blu-ray concert will not sound as good due to the 48khz limitation. Also, SACD will be down-sampled to 88.2khz from the 103 to the QX5. Better to use analog out from the DX5 for both.
I have ripped all my SACD's and don't have any music Blu-ray's. The player would be only for movies. That's all I've been using my DX-5 transport for this last year. It's mostly just used as a DAC now.

Audiophile Jukebox > microRendu > Ayre DX-5 DSD > Ayre KX-R Twenty> Ayre MX-R Twenty > YG Kipod II Signature Passive
post #1541 of 1543 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Getting PCM out of your devices will not be a problem. However, if you get the latest version of Apple TV you will have a bigger issue, the only output is Hdmi. Using it would require an audio de-embedder.

The Oppo 100 series players are out of stock and out of production. The 4K 203 will be shipping in a month or so, no Darby version for the moment, probably because there is no 4K Darby chip.

There are 103 and 103D still available from various online sources with new players selling in the $1000 range.
I did grab the previous generation Apple TV when I heard they were going out of production a couple of months ago. It has the optical out. However, I understand that I could stream Netflix through an Oppo so I may not need it if I go this route. I didn't realize the 100 series had gone out of production. I haven't really paid attention to this part of the market in recent years. Perhaps waiting for the 203 is the way to go. I'll have to read up on what else about the 203 will be better than the 103.

post #1542 of 1543 Old Today, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did grab the previous generation Apple TV when I heard they were going out of production a couple of months ago. It has the optical out. However, I understand that I could stream Netflix through an Oppo so I may not need it if I go this route. I didn't realize the 100 series had gone out of production. I haven't really paid attention to this part of the market in recent years. Perhaps waiting for the 203 is the way to go. I'll have to read up on what else about the 203 will be better than the 103.
At this point all we know about the 203 is that it will have similar I/O to the 103, support 4K/HDR discs and be about the same price. Word is that there will be no steaming apps to begin with.

I would suggest that if you want a video streaming box you get the Roku Ultra. Better performance than Apple TV 3 or 4 with 4K, voice control and far more streaming options @$129.95.

Last edited by scottsol; Today at 11:22 AM.
post #1543 of 1543 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quote:
At this point all we know about the 203 is that it will have similar I/O to the 103, support 4K/HDR discs and be about the same price. Word is that there will be no steaming apps to begin with.

I would suggest that if you want a video streaming box you get the Roku Ultra. Better performance than Apple TV 3 or 4 with 4K, voice control and far more streaming options @$129.95.
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have assumed the 203 would have had streaming capability out of the box. My Apple TV is fine from streaming now, but if I sell the DX-5 I would like a combined player / streamer. Maybe I should pick up a 103D before they are all gone. Or wait and buy a 203 on the assumption that apps like Netflix will come later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Marantz