Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1008 Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMc View Post

just picked up the wired version with the coupon for $99. My first foray in to BlueRay and am super excited that i no longer need to get a Roku to do netflix. So far i have no audio with my HDMI cable, but the RCA is OK. I'll pick up a new HDMI cable and see if it solves my issue. The firmware update was easy as can be. The biggest down side so far is that the remote B L O W S. You really have to press the buttons to get it to respond, but thankfully i have a universal remote i can heopfully program instead. Will be going back to netflix soon to try out the streaming feature.

does wired version play divx files from usb stick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1008 Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

how does NS-WBRDVD compare with lg bd390, and if u can make it region free

Can't comment on the LG, but the FAQs from the Insignia site say that you cannot remove the region lock - see here: http://community.insigniaproducts.co...rs&thread.id=8
post #63 of 1008 Old 10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post

Can't comment on the LG, but the FAQs from the Insignia site say that you cannot remove the region lock - see here: http://community.insigniaproducts.co...rs&thread.id=8

hmm, cant for reg dvds either?, or do pal, ntsc?
post #64 of 1008 Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Anyone program a universal for this yet? Which codes did you use? It looks like a Samsung or LG remote, but I have no idea where to start
post #65 of 1008 Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM

I picked the wired version today. All of the prices in-store said $179.99, but it rang up as $149.99 before coupon. I'm guessing one department didn't talk to the other at Best Buy Corporate, and now they're working to reduce the price again, because it did also list $179.99 for a few days on bestbuy.com.

I'm migrating from a BD-ROM PC drive with PowerDVD, and I was expecting the worst with regard to load times, after reading about multi-minute waits on standalone units. But this is pretty quick: 45 seconds from power button to movie load. The drive is pretty loud when seeking, but is very quiet during the movie play itself.

It seems to want to always default to 1080i when playing a 1080p movie on my 720p screen, probably because that's more work for the TV to do and less work for it. The non-movie menu navigation defaults to 720p though, and I can step down from 1080i all the way to 480i once the movie is playing.

Netflix is nice, but has mostly been talked about here. I like how I just had to enter a code into my Netflix account, rather than typing out my email address and password through the 10-key interface.

My biggest annoyance is the IR receiver. You have to have the remote pointed more or less at the unit for it to register. It's definitely the receiver and not the remote itself, as I got my Harmony programmed and it has the same limitations. Maybe I'm just spoiled, since with my Dish DVR I can be 3 blocks away, pointing it at the sun, and it'll still register.

Overall, worth the $100, especially since I was about to put down $80 for TMT on my media center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang023 View Post

Anyone program a universal for this yet? Which codes did you use? It looks like a Samsung or LG remote, but I have no idea where to start

It's already in Harmony's database, and has a decent mapping out of the box. Not sure about others.

fo0bar (Not to be confused with fo0bar)
http://www.finnie.org/tivo/
Phillips HDR212:
A) WD 30GB, B) Maxtor 80GB
130 hours, 58 minutes
post #66 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Looking at the wired version, the BB and Insignia websites both show that this unit DOES NOT support DTS decoding. Can someone confirm or deny? Seems unusual, I'd say most if not all new BR and dvd players(even cheapo $39 players) support DTS.

I wonder if its the websites themselves, as they say that opitcal digital and coaxial digital inputs are also not supported, despite the inputs on the back of the unit.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #67 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 AM

Bought one of these yesterday, mostly for the Netflix feature). I already have a wifi set up with a wireless access point (WAP) (Netgear WGPS606) located where I want to put this thing, so I did not get the wireless flavor, figuring I would just plug into the access point with ethernet cable. This works great with mu Roku box and my PS3. I do not have any encrypted security enabled.

When I connected the NS-BRDVD3 this way, it detected the ethernet connection, and I selected the dynamic IP address option in the DVd player. It sniffed for a long time and never went live. Then I plugged it directly into my wireless router (same dymanic UP address option) and it connected immediately. Did the firmware upgrade. Did the Netflix enable and it worked fine. Then tried the wireless access point again and still no go. Will not connect to network via the WAP. Bummer.

Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe I should get a dynamic IP address via the router and then hard code that in as a static IP address in the DVD player?

No idea why the Insignia does not set up with dynamic IP address as easilly as the Roku box and PS3 did. Both are on the same SAP.

- nopcbs
post #68 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

i have not opened my wireless yet! If otherwise? will return or sell!
post #69 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Maybe they fixed it, but on the Insignia site, for both wired and wireless, it says DTS = Yes.

I have the wireless, and it says DTS both on the box and on the unit.
post #70 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Although on both the Best Buy and Insignia sites, it says that it does not support optical or coax digital out - which it definitely does. Pretty sad when even the manufacturer can't get it right.
post #71 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe they fixed it, but on the Insignia site, for both wired and wireless, it says DTS = Yes.

I have the wireless, and it says DTS both on the box and on the unit.

Do u have any pal discs? to try
post #72 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

update: just picked up the wired unit:

-DTS is supported, checked several DTS dvd's with no issues
-optical digital and digital coaxial inputs on the unit
-netflix up and running with no problems. pq on par with xbox 360's netflix application

ONE MAJOR GRIPE-the IR sensor on this thing is embarrassingly bad. I have to point my remote directly at the player within 6-7 feet away to get it to respond at all. this isnt an issue with the remote control, it is an issue with the IR sensor as my harmony 550 has trouble with it. Harmony's are widely known as some of the most responsive universal remotes on the market. Additionally, I owned the NS-2BRDVD(the previous model) and the IR sensor worked flawlessly.

does anyone else have this unit? how's the IR sensor? Im going to exchange the player for another and hope it responds, because it is otherwise a very good player thus far

post #73 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I picked one up today.

The remote response isn't great but OK using the remote that came with the unit.

I have a Harmony 880, but I have not programmed it for the Insignia yet so can not comment the performance with a Harmony remote.

/Anders
post #74 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

I picked one up today.

The remote response isn't great but OK using the remote that came with the unit.

I have a Harmony 880, but I have not programmed it for the Insignia yet so can not comment the performance with a Harmony remote.

/Anders

hmmm. the response with the factory remote for my unit is laughable. might be a defective unit. I'll exchange tomorrow and report my findings.

post #75 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopcbs View Post

Bought one of these yesterday, mostly for the Netflix feature). I already have a wifi set up with a wireless access point (WAP) (Netgear WGPS606) located where I want to put this thing, so I did not get the wireless flavor, figuring I would just plug into the access point with ethernet cable. This works great with mu Roku box and my PS3. I do not have any encrypted security enabled.

When I connected the NS-BRDVD3 this way, it detected the ethernet connection, and I selected the dynamic IP address option in the DVd player. It sniffed for a long time and never went live. Then I plugged it directly into my wireless router (same dymanic UP address option) and it connected immediately. Did the firmware upgrade. Did the Netflix enable and it worked fine. Then tried the wireless access point again and still no go. Will not connect to network via the WAP. Bummer.

Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe I should get a dynamic IP address via the router and then hard code that in as a static IP address in the DVD player?

No idea why the Insignia does not set up with dynamic IP address as easilly as the Roku box and PS3 did. Both are on the same SAP.

- nopcbs

That's interesting that you are having issues. I am running something similar....I've got the Netgear WG602 access point and have it hooked up to my Insignia player and it connects to my network without any issues. I plugged in my access point, turned on my blu ray player and even before I had my TV switched to the HDMI input setting, the player was already hooked into my network letting me know that I had an update to run on the player. I've got all kinds of security set up on my router too.
post #76 of 1008 Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny15 View Post

That's interesting that you are having issues. I am running something similar....I've got the Netgear WG602 access point and have it hooked up to my Insignia player and it connects to my network without any issues. I plugged in my access point, turned on my blu ray player and even before I had my TV switched to the HDMI input setting, the player was already hooked into my network letting me know that I had an update to run on the player. I've got all kinds of security set up on my router too.

Now that's really interesting. Yours behaves the way I would expect them to operate. You are using the dynamic ip addressing option, right? Again, that works instantly for me when I plug directly into my Belkin wireless router ethernet port, but not when I plug into the Netgear wireless access point...that works fine with a Roku box and PS3. Maybe time to try another example or test the BB Nerds?
post #77 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
After having taken back a unit I paid $150 for a month or so ago (Unit had several issues)

The IR seems poor indeed. I had to lean forward from 10' to turn the unit off! (With the standard remote).

At least this unit has a working pause button though

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #78 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

post #79 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

post #80 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Do u have any pal discs? to try

Zoro - sorry, I don't. Maybe someone else here can try it and report.
post #81 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Just FYI .... I just got done programming my Harmony 880 and it seems like I was the first to do it with the NS-WBRDVD - at least, Logitech couldn't find it in its database.

Also, I am having problems with the unit finding my wireless network now. At first it was pretty good, but now every time I turn it on it says that there is no network configured. Also, it can't seem to connect to the network any more when I do run the config process. I am blaming this mostly on a bad signal at the moment, since I know it is weak where I have the DVD player setup.

I have a 'g' router at the moment and I'm thinking of getting an 'n' router since I think that that's what the Insignia wireless is. Can anyone confirm - to handle devices that are b and g and n, I have to get a dual band router, is that right?
post #82 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 09:19 PM

Starting today, Bestbuy has the Insignia NS-BRDVD3 on sale for $99.00. Tomorrow I'm picking the Blue-Ray player up from my local Bestbuy. This player is the wired version, not the wireless. I want to be able to watch Netflix movies without running a ethernet cable Will this player work on a powerline adapter? Also does this player come with a hdmi cable? Thanks!
post #83 of 1008 Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
SVM

I just read this over in the Bluray Forums - "these Insignia units are samsung bd-1500 clones. We just put out one for display, really nice GUI,very fast and responsive. I cant say much about the PQ since its hooked up to a 22" insignia lcd (but its 1080p) "
post #84 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 03:30 AM

Picked one up on Sunday, but have not set it up yet. What is the USB port for? Can you use a USB memory stick for a bigger streaming buffer or to download BDLive content on to?
post #85 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAppraiser View Post

Picked one up on Sunday, but have not set it up yet. What is the USB port for? Can you use a USB memory stick for a bigger streaming buffer or to download BDLive content on to?

The USB port is either for manually upgrading the firmware (i.e., not over a network connection) or for playing back picture, music, or video files.
post #86 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

I just read this over in the Bluray Forums - "these Insignia units are samsung bd-1500 clones. We just put out one for display, really nice GUI,very fast and responsive. I cant say much about the PQ since its hooked up to a 22" insignia lcd (but its 1080p) "

I thought the original ones were BD-1500 clones... but I also thought that was several generations ago and Samsung has revved their line.
post #87 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just FYI .... I just got done programming my Harmony 880 and it seems like I was the first to do it with the NS-WBRDVD - at least, Logitech couldn't find it in its database.

Did you type NS-BRDVD3 (note the "3") into the Logitech selector tool? It found it just fine for me. It's working great with my Logitech 659. I too noticed the included remote had to aimed right at the player to register button presses....the Harmony 659 seems to have more power, the player seems to register the 659 button presses fine even if I'm not pointed exactly at the unit.

Anyone tried any other video formats than "windows media" from a USB stick?
post #88 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon1fan View Post

Starting today, Bestbuy has the Insignia NS-BRDVD3 on sale for $99.00. Tomorrow I'm picking the Blue-Ray player up from my local Bestbuy. This player is the wired version, not the wireless. I want to be able to watch Netflix movies without running a ethernet cable Will this player work on a powerline adapter? Also does this player come with a hdmi cable? Thanks!

I can't see any reason it wouldn't work on a powerline adapter, although I don't have any direct experience with it. From what I can gather, wired internet connections seem to be pretty flawless, and wireless ones are problematic for some.

The wireless version came with a run-of-the-mill composite video and red/white cables for audio - which you will want to immediately discard.
post #89 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Did you type NS-BRDVD3 (note the "3") into the Logitech selector tool? It found it just fine for me. It's working great with my Logitech 659. I too noticed the included remote had to aimed right at the player to register button presses....the Harmony 659 seems to have more power, the player seems to register the 659 button presses fine even if I'm not pointed exactly at the unit.

Anyone tried any other video formats than "windows media" from a USB stick?

I have the wireless version- NS-WBRDVD. That's the one that Logitech couldn't find.

So far it does work fine with my Harmony 880, with a little tweaking to get the Harmony settings the way I want them. I don't have any of the reported problems with the IR sensor or the OEM remote that others have reported.
post #90 of 1008 Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopcbs View Post

Now that's really interesting. Yours behaves the way I would expect them to operate. You are using the dynamic ip addressing option, right? Again, that works instantly for me when I plug directly into my Belkin wireless router ethernet port, but not when I plug into the Netgear wireless access point...that works fine with a Roku box and PS3. Maybe time to try another example or test the BB Nerds?

I am using a dynamic IP address for my devices....except, for the AP, I have a statically assigned IP. Don't know or think that it would make a difference, but who knows......
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia Ns Brdvd3 Blu Ray Disc Player , Roku Streaming Player , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page