Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 1008 Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a firmware disc in the mail today from Best Buy. Allows CinemaNow access.

Anyone else give this a try? Any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1008 Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

I loaded the firmware and pulled up the CinemaNow browser. I will probably try the $5 credit at some point, but I have a slow broadband connection so it will probably be painful.
post #933 of 1008 Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I just watched Kick-A** HD on CinemaNow on a 6MB DSL connection. The PQ was excellent, but it stopped to rebuffer a couple of times. That almost never happens for me with Netflix. Netflix usually keeps playing but temporarily drops the PQ until the connection speed improves. That's how CinemaNow should handle it, but they don't.

On another note, I just got a Panasonic BD-65 for $90. I still haven't decided if it can replace my insignia or not. Each has it's own strengths/weaknesses. But here are a few quick observations:
  • Netflix performance is better and faster on the panny. It has bars to display the PQ (all bars is full HD). Skipping and ffwd/rewind is more responsive and quicker to start playing again. It also maintains HD quality all the time (so far). On my insignia the PQ goes up and down at times. On the minus side, the panny only shows your instant queue. I do miss that.
  • Panny won't play very many types of video files via USB. But they do add about a dozen streaming apps like youtube, amazon, weather, etc. Panny's pandora app is also better and has a screen saver.
  • Blu-ray PQ/AQ is excellent on both players. Upconversion is a little better on the panny, but it's barely noticeable.
  • Panny remote performance is obviously better, and it has discrete on/off commands as well as a command to go straight to the streaming page. Front display can be set to auto-dim during playback.
  • Panny is quite a bit smaller than the insignia. Same width, but not as deep or as tall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #934 of 1008 Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Got a firmware disc in the mail today from Best Buy. Allows CinemaNow access.

Anyone else give this a try? Any issues?

Basically same question. All it does is add Cinema Now, right?

Has there been any firmware that allows more codecs besides AVI, I don't think there has been one for h264, right?

Thanks,
Lyndon
Salt Lake City
post #935 of 1008 Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
so MdaveJ:
you have seen the light? the panasonic is a fine player compared to the insignia. it does have a problem with bdlive, but not with the netflix. I own the panasonic 85. I also have the awesome oppo 83 player.

Jacob
post #936 of 1008 Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Bump for my question about the new firmware.
I could care less about the Cinema Now, and don't want to lose my ability to read some codecs from the 2nd? firmware.
Would I lose that by installing the newest one?
thanks!
Lyndon
post #937 of 1008 Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

so MdaveJ:
you have seen the light? the panasonic is a fine player compared to the insignia. it does have a problem with bdlive, but not with the netflix. I own the panasonic 85. I also have the awesome oppo 83 player.

Jacob

No doubt the panny is better overall, which was no surprise. But I still can't bring myself to put any of my insignias on ebay because I need their file playback which panny lacks. And you still can't beat $30 for a streaming player. I guess you could say I'm keeping my sunglasses on (the light is pretty bright, but I can't see it).

post #938 of 1008 Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
blu ray players that are cheap.. are not like regular dvd players. they cheapy made and get what you pay for. everyone has their reasons for differnt kind of blu ray players from blurays to netflix and other stuff. I agree that not all player are perfect, but the oppo comes very close.

Jacob
post #939 of 1008 Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 PM

I took the unit apart, drilled a 3/8" hole in the front panel plastic directly in front of the remote control infrared photodiode sensor and put the unit back together. Now the remote control is snappy. My guess is the plastic used in the Insignia filters infrared. You'll need a phillips screwdriver, a drill, and about 4 drill bits going from small to 3/8", a dust spray can to blow away the plastic shavings and about 30 minutes to accomplish this mod.

I'm sure this voids your warranty, and causes sudden loss of life, etc, etc.

When I took the unit apart, the sensor looked to be a standard TSOP381 photodiode, but the plastic look thick, dark, and had a grid in front of it (WTF?). Drill it out and get back relaxing on the couch instead of reading AVSForum...

My remote setup is a iPhone Redeye. The Redeye Insignia codes don't work so you need to capture all the keys from the remote which adds another 30 minutes
post #940 of 1008 Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How far would you say the distance the photo eye is to the plastic?, mere thousand's or 1/4"?
post #941 of 1008 Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I received the disc for cinema now....probably will never use this feature. I subscribe with netflix and it streams that great. Overall very impressed with this unit. Have not tried BD Live, which in my opinion is overhyped anyways....I just want great Blu-Ray which this does.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #942 of 1008 Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

How far would you say the distance the photo eye is to the plastic?, mere thousand's or 1/4"?

The plastic is thick! I'd say a full 1/8". Looking at it I'd say the top of the radius of the photo sensor is less than 1/8" behind that. I'd guess about 1/16" to 3/32" clearance between the plastic and the sensor. I wouldn't drill from the front w/o a hole saw and a jig as the point of the bit will hit the sensor before the edge of the bit clears the plastic. Drilling from the back is easy and I had some new bits laying around which were sharp and made a very clean looking hole that doesn't look odd at all.
post #943 of 1008 Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm55b View Post

The plastic is thick! I'd say a full 1/8". Looking at it I'd say the top of the radius of the photo sensor is less than 1/8" behind that. I'd guess about 1/16" to 3/32" clearance between the plastic and the sensor. I wouldn't drill from the front w/o a hole saw and a jig as the point of the bit will hit the sensor before the edge of the bit clears the plastic. Drilling from the back is easy and I had some new bits laying around which were sharp and made a very clean looking hole that doesn't look odd at all.

Why drill! I took apart the player, removed the faceplate and using some WD40 to lube and a new 1/4" wood chisel (very sharp) carefully removed the black "checkerboard" pattern. Use very little pressure and trace out the complete square. When you take it apart you will see the plastic is clear and is a two piece "sandwich" assembly, with the square frame accessible from the rear. My player is in a custom built entertainment center behind black acoustical fabric. In the past the door had to be open and now it works just as well as all other components. Even the stock remote works wothout issue although I usually use my Harmony to control the system.

Go slow, light pressure and you will get the black paint off. Looks good, I might even find a stick on dot the size of the ir sensor and then respray with black to make a perfectly round window.
post #944 of 1008 Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post

Why drill! I took apart the player, removed the faceplate and using some WD40 to lube and a new 1/4" wood chisel (very sharp) carefully removed the black "checkerboard" pattern. Use very little pressure and trace out the complete square. When you take it apart you will see the plastic is clear and is a two piece "sandwich" assembly, with the square frame accessible from the rear. My player is in a custom built entertainment center behind black acoustical fabric. In the past the door had to be open and now it works just as well as all other components. Even the stock remote works wothout issue although I usually use my Harmony to control the system.

Go slow, light pressure and you will get the black paint off. Looks good, I might even find a stick on dot the size of the ir sensor and then respray with black to make a perfectly round window.

So you didn't have to remove any of the plastic? So its the painted grid is the issue and not the plastic like I suspected. Thanks for posting!
post #945 of 1008 Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you didn't have to remove any of the plastic? So its the painted grid is the issue and not the plastic like I suspected. Thanks for posting!

No need to cut or drill, the plastic is clear. Just a black painted checkerboard. I will post some pics soon.
post #946 of 1008 Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

No need to cut or drill, the plastic is clear. Just a black painted checkerboard. I will post some pics soon.

Bet yours looks better! This is what happens when you over do it...
LL
post #947 of 1008 Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I took the unit apart, drilled a 3/8" hole in the front panel plastic directly in front of the remote control infrared photodiode sensor and put the unit back together. Now the remote control is snappy.

My guess is the plastic used in the Insignia filters infrared. You'll need a phillips screwdriver, a drill, and about 4 drill bits going from small to 3/8", a dust spray can to blow away the plastic shavings and about 30 minutes to accomplish this mod.

I'm sure this voids your warranty, and causes sudden loss of life, etc, etc.

When I took the unit apart, the sensor looked to be a standard TSOP381 photodiode, but the plastic look thick, dark, and had a grid in front of it (WTF?). Drill it out and get back relaxing on the couch instead of reading AVSForum...

Quote:

NO NEED TO DRILL! Keep reading...

Quote:

Why drill!

I took apart the player, removed the faceplate and using some WD40 to lube and a new 1/4" wood chisel (very sharp) carefully removed the black "checkerboard" pattern.

Use very little pressure and trace out the complete square. When you take it apart you will see the plastic is clear and is a two piece "sandwich" assembly, with the square frame accessible from the rear. My player is in a custom built entertainment center behind black acoustical fabric. In the past the door had to be open and now it works just as well as all other components.

Quote:

Quote:

No need to cut or drill, the plastic is clear.
Just a black painted checkerboard. I will post some pics soon.

This is FANTASTIC information!

Thanks! Will be my project this next weekend.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #948 of 1008 Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Worked GREAT for me.

Disassembled the player, and scraped the window clean. I would call the layer that you scrape off "paint". Once you clean that up and reassemble the player, the remote works just like a real remote control would work.

Great discovery, easy home mod.
post #949 of 1008 Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_V View Post

Worked GREAT for me.

Disassembled the player, and scraped the window clean. I would call the layer that you scrape off "paint". Once you clean that up and reassemble the player, the remote works just like a real remote control would work.

Great discovery, easy home mod.

That's really good the hear. How much time did it take you?

I really like community style work like this. I had an idea that "works" to some extent. GMANHDTV has an idea that works way better. We all end up with better gear at an incredible price.
post #950 of 1008 Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried something like nail polish remover instead of drilling/scraping?

post #951 of 1008 Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Has anyone tried something like nail polish remover instead of drilling/scraping?

Nail polish remover was a no go. I had to scrape!
post #952 of 1008 Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

post #953 of 1008 Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Probably took me 45 minutes start to finish. I definately wouldn't use acetone (nail polish remover), you'd probably fog up the plastic, and probably dissolve it.

A dull screwdriver did the trick for me. A chisel would definitely work, but it would have to be a small one.

My biggest concern was scratching up (and reducing the transparency of) the plastic face.
post #954 of 1008 Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Can someone please test an AVI from a Vado HD (pocket camcorder) on your dvd player please? I want to make sure I will be able to reliably stream my home videos if I buy the player. Here is a link to a small sample.. FYI It's HD so please see if the aspect ratio etc is right.
perian-discuss.googlegroups.com/web/VID00106.AVI

you have to browse there and then click the dynamic link. I didn't post this fyi.
also does this dvd player let you connect to a windows share or do you have to load files via usb stick?
post #955 of 1008 Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM

So overall you guys would say the BR PQ on this is on par with the major name brand ones like Sony, LG, and Panny? Are there any issues with black levels with this unit? Thank you
post #956 of 1008 Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have one along with 2 Samsungs, a Sony, and a Panasonic BRPs and the BR quality is fine. That said there are many better performers out there in other areas. The only reason I bought the Insignia was price, I came across one very cheap. If you get a great deal I'd say go for it, but there are many units in the $70+ range that are better at streaming.
post #957 of 1008 Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I have one along with 2 Samsungs, a Sony, and a Panasonic BRPs and the BR quality is fine. That said there are many better performers out there in other areas. The only reason I bought the Insignia was price, I came across one very cheap. If you get a great deal I'd say go for it, but there are many units in the $70+ range that are better at streaming.

What player in the $70+ range are you refering to? I would like to find one in the price range that streams really well.

Thanks...
post #958 of 1008 Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 75
In the Sony 370 thread it's been posted that Wallgreen's will have the the 370 for about 100, before Thanksgiving. It is a MUCH more full featured unit than the insignia.
post #959 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

In the Sony 370 thread it's been posted that Wallgreen's will have the the 370 for about 100, before Thanksgiving. It is a MUCH more full featured unit than the insignia.

A list please.
post #960 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

• DLNA
  • Widgets
  • 30 streaming content providers
  • iPod/iTouch remote control
  • Discrete on/off
  • Remote works without having to drill a hole in the front of the player
  • Universal remote compatibility

Insignia still beats sony for local file playback.

The NS-BRDVD3 was the value leader a few months ago, and I bought several myself, but it's been surpassed by just about everyone recently. I'd still snag one for $30 or so just for the file playback capabilities, but for $100 there are much better choices these days, including sony and vizio.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia Ns Brdvd3 Blu Ray Disc Player , Roku Streaming Player , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page