Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

• DLNA
  • Widgets
  • 30 streaming content providers
  • iPod/iTouch remote control
  • Discrete on/off
  • Remote works without having to drill a hole in the front of the player
  • Universal remote compatibility

Insignia still beats sony for local file playback.

The NS-BRDVD3 was the value leader a few months ago, and I bought several myself, but it's been surpassed by just about everyone recently. I'd still snag one for $30 or so just for the file playback capabilities, but for $100 there are much better choices these days, including sony and vizio.

where can you get the NS-BRDVD3 for $30??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by techowiz View Post

where can you get the NS-BRDVD3 for $30??

on eBay and other sites like that. Lots of people return the Insignia, not because anything is wrong with it, but because they don't understand technology. I'll give an example in a minute... Anyway, these returned BD Insignia BD players which function just fine are then sold on eBay via companies like "Best Buy Outlet". I got two off eBay for about $65 each, when Best Buy was selling them for $130. I already had one in the living room. The two eBay players, I gave one to my brother and put the other in the office.

One guy in this forum returned THREE because he couldn't get them to work. He had a CRT TV. When we pointed out that these were Blu Ray players and were for HDTVs, he replied he was not buying it for the Blu Ray part, he was buying it because the Insignia Blu Ray player was a cheap Netflix streaming device. OK...

It can work like that with a CRT TV, but you first have to change the default resolution from 1080p to 480p. He was not doing that -- or able to do that -- so his CRT TV could not see the default 1080p resolution.

He returned 3 perfectly good Insignia players to Best Buy which could not be re-sold as "new". They would be sold on eBay at half price or less as "refurbished".

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #963 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

on eBay and other sites like that. Lots of people return the Insignia, not because anything is wrong with it, but because they don't understand technology. I'll give an example in a minute... Anyway, these returned BD Insignia BD players which function just fine are then sold on eBay via companies like "Best Buy Outlet". I got two off eBay for about $65 each, when Best Buy was selling them for $130. I already had one in the living room. The two eBay players, I gave one to my brother and put the other in the office.

One guy in this forum returned THREE because he couldn't get them to work. He had a CRT TV. When we pointed out that these were Blu Ray players and were for HDTVs, he replied he was not buying it for the Blu Ray part, he was buying it because the Insignia Blu Ray player was a cheap Netflix streaming device. OK...

Turns out you have to change the default resolution from 1080p to 480i. He was not doing that, so his CRT TV could not see the default 1080p resolution.

He returned 3 perfectly good Insignia players which could not be re-sold as "new". They would be sold on eBay at half price or less as "refurbished".

Thanks ChazzMatt!!! I just puchased a refurb off BB website for $55 and free shipping. That works!! Probably better than any Black Friday deals....
post #964 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Sorry about that. I see $30 players are hard to find these days. I got most of mine early on when supply was high and demand was low. I was also willing to buy units without remotes, etc. But $55 is a good deal. Just be careful you don't end up with a Canadian model since those won't do netflix. But even some advertised as Canadian models turn out not to be.
post #965 of 1008 Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Delete post...
post #966 of 1008 Old 11-11-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

• DLNA
  • Widgets
  • 30 streaming content providers
  • iPod/iTouch remote control
  • Discrete on/off
  • Remote works without having to drill a hole in the front of the player
  • Universal remote compatibility

Insignia still beats sony for local file playback.

The NS-BRDVD3 was the value leader a few months ago, and I bought several myself, but it's been surpassed by just about everyone recently. I'd still snag one for $30 or so just for the file playback capabilities, but for $100 there are much better choices these days, including sony and vizio.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I got mine as an "open box" item (had everything that a NIB unit would have) for $79 awhile ago. I use it in a secondary HT. I haven't really been tracking what's been going on since which was why I asked.
post #967 of 1008 Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
From your sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

I before E except after C. It's recEIver, damn it - not reciver, not reciever, not....

Do you still run into that a lot? I thought most modern browsers had spell check...

I know Google Chrome has automatic spell check, underlining words in red it considers misspelled. 99% of the time it's right. Now it will question industry jargon words that are probably spelled right, but for most common words paying attention to the red squiggly line saves embarrassment.

Plus Google Chrome is fast as heck, wins all the speed tests.

Even for IE, you can get a Google toolbar and activate spell check for web entries.

Of course this is for the people that spell wrong, not you! I was just surprised this is still an issue.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #968 of 1008 Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I bought the new model today ..the NS-BRDVD4VD4...for $39.99

It was an open box that didn't look like the unit had even been pulled out of the box

anyway..its amazing how much smaller this years units are than last years

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #969 of 1008 Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM

:Update:
It looks like this may only work on some of the older firmware. The newer firmwares allow you to bring up the menu, but the region code does not appear to actually change.

Someone posted that the newest Insignia's had a menu you could get to by doing the following:
  1. Eject the tray
  2. Press the "Setup" button
  3. Press 9 1 1 3
  4. a menu will pop up allowing you to change the region
The region codes reset back to defaults when you power the player off.
The NS-BRDVD3 can play Pal video fine, not sure about 50i content though.
LL
post #970 of 1008 Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Does that same "9-1-1-3" remote hack work with the insignia ns-brdvd4 model?
post #971 of 1008 Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post

I can confirm you can change the region codes on the Insignia NS-BRDVD3

My firmware is one of the last ones Insignia released I believe. It is the one Best Buy mailed out to people on the cd that added Pandora and Cinema Now.

Someone posted that the newest Insignia's had a menu you could get to by doing the following:
  1. Eject the tray
  3. Press 9 1 1 3
The NS-BRDVD3 can play Pal video fine, not sure about 50i content though.

I get the menu, after i set the dvd region to 7 and blu region to 2 then press ok. It still does not play region b blu-ray or region 2 dvds.
post #972 of 1008 Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

1. Eject the tray
  3. Press 9 1 1 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthrone View Post

I get the menu, after i set the dvd region to 7 and blu region to 2 then press ok. It still does not play region b blu-ray or region 2 dvds.

I was able to switch regions on my NS-BRDVD3-CA model. Setting it to 7 for all regions did not work for my region 3 discs, but entering region 3 did work. This is for a player manufactured in August 2009. The original firmware version you can see in the attached photo.

With the existing firmware, my player had the avi and mkv files not showing up mentioned way back in this thread.

Then I made the dumb mistake of upgrading the firmware. I can enter numbers in the region switching screen, but the region 3 discs no longer play.

May be a good idea to refrain from using the latest firmware update on Insignia's website for CA models if you want to play other region discs. This is the one that "crippled" my region switching setup:

20100707_NS_BRDVD3_CA_BBY_59_100_30.iso

The good thing is that I can now play avi, mpg, vob, and mkv files.
LL
post #973 of 1008 Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthrone View Post

It is not working for me either. I must have tried a PAL DVD that was likely region 0 to begin with. This morning I tried out my region 2 locked DVD of The Good, The Bad, and The Weird and it refused to load after changing the region. My guess is like the previous poster stated, only the early firmware actually allowed the region to change.

I'm truly sorry for the misinformation.
post #974 of 1008 Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:

It is not working for me either. I must have tried a PAL DVD that was likely region 0 to begin with. This morning I tried out my region 2 locked DVD of The Good, The Bad, and The Weird and it refused to load after changing the region. My guess is like the previous poster stated, only the early firmware actually allowed the region to change.

I'm truly sorry for the misinformation.

Could you check if it outputs 480 (NTSC) or 576 (PAL) when playing PAL DVD? TIA
post #975 of 1008 Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vit13 View Post

Could you check if it outputs 480 (NTSC) or 576 (PAL) when playing PAL DVD? TIA

I'm positive its outputting NTSC. My Samsung TV does not support PAL video natively.
post #976 of 1008 Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 AM

After a firmware update, Netflix is sorta wonky.

Plays fine, but when pausing, fast forwarding, or skipping ahead, after selecting "Play", the movie freezes, and I get alternating green screens with fully pixelated (I mean fully pixelated - every pixed - looks like an old TV when you weren't tuned to a channel).

Also happens at the end of a Netflix film when the film is completely over.

Anyone else having this type of difficulty?
post #977 of 1008 Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Not with the current firmware. My Netflix still works fine. Sounds like you're getting snow due to a bad HDMI cable. Make sure your connections a still good or try another cable. You could try component cables as a test. If the problem goes away, it's an HDMI cable issue.
post #978 of 1008 Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM

I haven't thought about switching to component cables. The problem did go away when I rolled back the firmware (I have a disc that I received in the mail with the previous firmware revision).

With that firmware, the Netflix problems do not occur.

Hmmm. I think there is a possibility that it is an issue related to the firmware.
post #979 of 1008 Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-t-wallitt View Post

Then I made the dumb mistake of upgrading the firmware. I can enter numbers in the region switching screen, but the region 3 discs no longer play.

May be a good idea to refrain from using the latest firmware update on Insignia's website for CA models if you want to play other region discs. This is the one that "crippled" my region switching setup:

20100707_NS_BRDVD3_CA_BBY_59_100_30.iso

I was able to restore the region switching option by also reverting back to a previous firmware version.

However, I noticed an issue that may be of interest to users who use DVD recorders.

Discs created with the Pioneer HDD/DVD recorders (for example, the 460-560-660 series) are ejected from the player after several seconds. The discs are properly finalized and work in a Dynex portable DVD player and a Panasonic DMP-BD60. Not sure why the discs won't play in the NS-BRDVD3-CA. Maybe the Pioneer-made discs were not up to spec? I know these discs do not automatically jump to the main menu.

Even when I upgraded to the latest firmware version, the discs were still being rejected. Now I know why there are disclaimers in instruction manuals for these players, saying not all discs may be playable due to the way they are mastered.

Despite this, I still like the NS-BRDVD3-CA for its region switching option and the various video file formats it handles. That and it was cheap too!
post #980 of 1008 Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got this player & it won't read AVCHD DL disc but the setup guide say other wise.....Is there away to get this player to play BD-9...Thanks

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
post #981 of 1008 Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM

I have held off on doing any firmware updates since I recall that there was a problem with one of them messing with Netflix. I would like to get Pandora working. Has anyone had any issues with the latest firmware (the one they sent on disc to add CinemaNow)? I mostly care about the Netflix & Pandora.
Thanks.
post #982 of 1008 Old 03-18-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0bby View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the latest firmware (the one they sent on disc to add CinemaNow)? I mostly care about the Netflix & Pandora.
I installed that update in November 2010. I haven't done anything with CinemaNow but I stream movies from Netflix and music from Pandora regularly - no issues with it.
post #983 of 1008 Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0bby View Post

I have held off on doing any firmware updates since I recall that there was a problem with one of them messing with Netflix. I would like to get Pandora working. Has anyone had any issues with the latest firmware (the one they sent on disc to add CinemaNow)? I mostly care about the Netflix & Pandora.
Thanks.

The recent problems were with the BRDVD4, the newer model. It knocked out NF for several days until either Insignia or NF did something.
How exactly is Pandora not working for you? You should not need the latest firmware for Pandora to work.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #984 of 1008 Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Tried the latest update again. Had to install it to get Wall Street 2 to work in the player.

Tested Netflix, same issues. Hangs up with green screen after stopping a film on Netflix.

Rolled back the update, Netflix works fine again.

Go figure.

Now I need an older version of firmware so I can use the Region code hack. Got a region 2 DVD that I want to watch.
post #985 of 1008 Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well damn, after working flawlessly for over a year, my unit has begun to show signs of incipient failure. First it started intermittently refusing to recognize DVDs (No Disc message or simply ejecting them after trying to load). Now it will simply not recognize any DVD. Lately it's begun to exhibit the same behavior with BR discs. In the meantime, the Netflix functionality continues without issues. I fear it will become a rather large and cumbersome door stop very soon.
post #986 of 1008 Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps a good cleaning will help. If you take the cover off, the center hub is pretty easy to get to IIRC. Just go over it with an alcohol swap and dust off both lasers with something lint free. I have to do that to my DVD recorders every few years.
post #987 of 1008 Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try...nothing to lose at this point.
post #988 of 1008 Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a player that is comparable to this that play's everything,Xvid, MKV,wireless internet and has usb and has youtube?
I'm getting tired of the "No Disc" msg!!
post #989 of 1008 Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

After owning 3 insignia player's, 2 WBRDVD and one "3" model, they all suffer the same fate, esp home burned dvd's they will not load and just says NO DISC.

You know it's gunna happen once you load the disc, you can hear a double rattle sound from the drive.

Well having nothing better to do this morning I decided to pull the cover and see whats going on, the drive is SATA based so possibly a aftermarket Blu-Ray PC drive might be altered and mounted in the case like I did with a older Vinc dvd player 5 yr's ago.

Well get to the FIX......With the cover off I put a lil pressure on the center plastic disc that keeps the disc down when the laser assembly moves upward....it Loaded!!

So i figured the disc is "slipping" do to the motor is not grabbing the disc in the spit second it needs to read to find out what it is.

First I tried to add a thick metal washer and glued it to the center white plastic disc that aligns the disc, I figured the "weight" would keep the disc from slipping, still had a error, so i removed the 2 screws and removed the top drive cover to expost the laser, well i used alcohol, Q-Tip and cleaned the rubber circle the motor uses to spin the disc......It Worked!!

Appears dust and crap get's built up on the cushion/rubber ring and the disc does not spin fast enough on initial start.

I did it to all my players and now they are working like they used too..

Think about it, these players all worked fine for the first 2-6 month's, all you have to do is remove the cover and drive cover and clean the wheel.

I even tried to apply alcohol using a Q-Tip to the inner side on a DVD and let it clean off the ring without removing the cover's, It did work.

I dont know if trhis is a permament fix or temporary, maybe somebody with more knowledge can fix this further.

All i know now it's not the firmware or the laser being weak that's causing this.
post #990 of 1008 Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The recent problems were with the BRDVD4, the newer model. It knocked out NF for several days until either Insignia or NF did something.
How exactly is Pandora not working for you? You should not need the latest firmware for Pandora to work.

I just have very old firmware, but my Netflix works so well I was hesitant to update. It sounds like it should be ok though, so I think I'll try it.
Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia Ns Brdvd3 Blu Ray Disc Player , Roku Streaming Player , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page