Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Herrera View Post

are any of you guys experiencing a noisy disc tray? My player is silent when playing off a usb and Netflix but when the disc is spinning there is a faint buzz along with some high-pitched sounds. I don't know if its just something with this model being that its cheap or if its just my particular player and I need to exchange for a different one.

Not really any more noisy than my old Philps DVD player. I sit about 11 feet from the player so maybe that has something to do with it, but I hear normal disk spinup noise and the usual start/stop when it changes from trailers to menu to play, but nothing I'd consider out of the ordinary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Herrera View Post

None at all with me. Haven't lost connection yet. Perhaps it is a problem with your router?

Same. I've had 2 units i the past week(the first one had a faulty IR sensor so I took it back), both detected my network right away. Both streamed several netflix movies with no issues. Double check your network, then exchange the player if you need to.

Overall, just a solid, solid player. All the features I need for $99. I generally avoid off-brand products, but pleasantly surprised here.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #153 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasmesa View Post

COTJ - So you plugged your Airport Express wifi hub directly into the USB port in the front (not via an Ethernet connection in the back) correct? That's what I would do with my hub. Another reader responded that he thought the system required a flash drive memory to allow it to work with the streaming video option (plugged into the USB port). Did your setup use that or was it necessary?

No...I plugged from the ethernet on back of the player to the ethernet on the Airport Express. Although my network is now experiencing some DHCP issues I need to figure out, but oddly they aren't affecting the player/Netflix streaming.

If you have a wireless hub near the player, why would you use USB?

I have nothing plugged into my USB port and I've used Netflix, but haven't had a need to try BD-Live so I can't comment on that.
post #154 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 AM

I think this is probably a home network question, but it coincides with adding the BR player, so I'll give it a shot.

After adding the BR player to my wireless network through an Airport Express (that is wirelessly connected to my network), I'm having DHCP problems. So far, it hasn't affected using Netflix, but I have to, about every 10 minutes of using the internet, renew my DHCP lease on my laptop.

Any suggestions? I've searched and can't find anything.

In the process of adding the BR player, I also changed from WEP to WPA, because the BR player would not connect to my network when it was set using WEP. I may drop all security and see if that fixes the DHCP issues and start from there. I also reset the cable modem and wireless router, but I'm open to other ideas as I'm really not very computer savvy.
post #155 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 414
There's usually a place in the DHCP config of your router to set the lease time. It's usually several days. If that doesn't help, you can always give your devices static addresses and DHCP won't be a problem anymore.
post #156 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For those wanting to use a universal remote with this player, I've posted a lot of good info HERE on the Insignia forum.
post #157 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't get seem to get my unit to play AVCHD on USB or Disc format. My PS3 does so fine. Can anyone confirm this? I updated to the lastest firmware.
post #158 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
Since they claim to support it, you could check in the Insignia forums. Like I posted earlier, DVD-RAM doesn't seem to really work either.
post #159 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

I can't get seem to get my unit to play AVCHD on USB or Disc format. My PS3 does so fine. Can anyone confirm this? I updated to the lastest firmware.

Mine played an AVCHD on DVD-R fine on the latest firmware. THIS is the only file I've tried so far.
post #160 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Mine played an AVCHD on DVD-R fine on the latest firmware. THIS is the only file I've tried so far.

Does that file produce a disc that's mastered to Bluray format with a CERTIFICATE folder etc? Or is it just raw data disc with AVCHD mts files?
Thanks,
Bobby
post #161 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM

On 10/19/09, I purchased the new NS-BRDVD3 at my local Best Buy store. Upon initial setup, I downloaded the firmware upgrade to enable streaming Netflix video. Everything worked fine for several days. I was happy with the performance of the streaming video and the Blu-ray player. On or about 10/24/09, I received a message that there was a new upgrade (PKG_DVD_2_1_069_02_CARD_22_BestBuy) and I proceeded to install it. After that, Blu-ray discs seem to play at a faster speed, but with disrupted audio and DVDs had no audio at all. While playing a DVD, my receiver showed "PCM", though I used the optical SPDIF output set to "Bitrate Mixed". However, playback of streaming Netflix video/audio was unaffected. I called customer service and was advised to re-install the update. When that was unsuccesful, I was advised to return to BestBuy and exchange the player. Upon set-up of the replacement NS-BRDVD3, before downloading any updates, I tested the disc player. No problem. I proceeded to install the latest update and had a repeat experience of the first player. When I called customer service for the third time, I was instructed to e-mail for assistance. I understand that I am not alone and Insignia is working on a solution. If it is possible, I would like to reinstall the previous Netflix enabled software. That worked fine.
post #162 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Please see this post in the Insignia forum:

http://community.insigniaproducts.co...cending&page=3

Here's the important bit:

-------------
Everyone,

It is apparent that there is a firmware problem that occurs when hooking the video up via HDMI in conjunction with using TOSlink or coaxial audio to certain receivers. This has been difficult to diagnose because the receivers we have in our lab do not exhibit the problem. I would like to thank you all for your help in diagnosing this issue. We are working on a firmware fix to correct the problem. I do not know a completion date at this time. Unfortunately the player is designed to prevent loading older versions. In the mean time the only work around is to use either component or composite video with the digital audio outputs or use the analog audio jacks with the HDMI video.
------------------

Unfortunately the support folks have also stated that the player prevents reinstalling an old firmware (granted, it could be argued that they can create a file with the old firmware and a new version number :-)

Please add your equipment details to the thread, so that the Insignia folks can more easily repro the problem with a variety of devices (and ensure it's fixed for everyone)
post #163 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That is being discussed on the Insignia's forum right now. Add your complaint so that they know more people are experiencing this.

http://community.insigniaproducts.co...&thread.id=525
post #164 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0bby View Post

Does that file produce a disc that's mastered to Bluray format with a CERTIFICATE folder etc? Or is it just raw data disc with AVCHD mts files?
Thanks,
Bobby

I see a folder structure with BDMV then CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, STREAM, etc., but no CERTIFICATE folder. The mts files are in the STREAM folder.

I plan to try one from my video camera later.
post #165 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 PM

Hello again. Immediately after posting about my issues with this player, I downloaded and (hoping against hope) reinstalled the new firmware. Lo and behold, for no apparent reason the player seems to be working fine. I am using HDMI to my projector and Toslink SPDIF to my receiver. Go figure.
post #166 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 PM

If you look at some of the threads about people upgrading firmware to the first draft Netflix firmware, which didn't work right and said "demo" in the corner. Users were apparently PM'd about a fix that informed them to revert to a previous version. Not sure how they were instructed to do so or why that process won't work now.
post #167 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried the Samsung 1500 region free code to see if it works?

TURN ON...
OPEN...CLOSE QUICKLY
PRESS RETURN (NO RETURN A-B)

IN THE LEFT CORNER APPEAR 4
CHANGE TO 9

That's supposed to enable region free playback...who knows if it works, the guy on the BD.com forum claimed this Insignia was a 1500 clone.
post #168 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM

What does "no return A-B" mean? As I mentioned earlier, when I tried codes a red buster and the word "prohibited" popped up in the upper right (where the no-disc indicator is)

The version of this I saw used the "repeat" button instead of the "return" button. Either way, the 76884 code only works on players that are set as region 4. Supposedly in Region 1 you enter 29334, but I haven't found a single report of all this working with a region 1 Samsung.
post #169 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Anyone know if you can get access to this drive in the same way that an external DVD drive works, basically using it as an F: etc.

Thanks.
post #170 of 1008 Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 PM

OKKKKKK..............

a few things.........

-------Im NOT going to use this thing for anything other than playing DVDs
I have noooooooooo Blu Ray discs. Until prices come down 50% Im not going to buy any.

--------I dont have copies of DVD movies and I dont care if this thing can play other zones

--------I couldnt care less about Netflix. I will probably never use Netflix.

--------I am not going to upgrage any firmware. Either the thing works out of the box or it will be returned ASAP.

What I DO care about is.... Does this BR player upscale / upconvert my regular DVDs for my 50" plasma?

Does it look any better than my current DVD player that does NOT upconvert?

Is a $60 DVD upconverter a dumb purchase?
post #171 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShallot View Post

OKKKKKK..............

a few things.........

-------Im NOT going to use this thing for anything other than playing DVDs
I have noooooooooo Blu Ray discs. Until prices come down 50% Im not going to buy any.

--------I dont have copies of DVD movies and I dont care if this thing can play other zones

--------I couldnt care less about Netflix. I will probably never use Netflix.

--------I am not going to upgrage any firmware. Either the thing works out of the box or it will be returned ASAP.

What I DO care about is.... Does this BR player upscale / upconvert my regular DVDs for my 50" plasma?

Does it look any better than my current DVD player that does NOT upconvert?

Is a $60 DVD upconverter a dumb purchase?

Wow, going by your post, getting this player would be a huge waste of money for you. If all you want is an upconverting DVD player, you can just get one for way cheaper. Yes, this player can also upconvert DVDs but the reason people are buying it is because it is also a Blu-Ray player with Netflix and can also play media off a USB drive all for only $100.

BTW, the firmware update is no hassle at all. All it does is add Netflix to the player. You can play discs on it without updating. You turn it on and it tells you there is an update. You press the button and about 6 minutes later Netflix is up and running.
post #172 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

I would hold off on updating the firmware at the moment if you don't need Netflix. According to the Insignia forum they know there's a problem with the firmware and HDMI connections with optical TOS audio connections and are working a fix. But I agree...upconverting regular DVD players can be had for about $30 if you follow the deal sites.
post #173 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 AM

Got the NS-BRDVD3 yesterday. Plugged in my 1TB usb drive and the menu showed up a "Video" icon. When I clicked on the "Video" icon, I could browse the hard drive folder structure. It only showed videos ending in .wmv format. Just for kicks, I decided to rename some of my XVID and H264 .avi videos to .wmv to see what it would do.. IT PLAYED THEM! Even though this unit advertises only .wmv, it plays XVID and H264 video files renamed to .WMV! I'm stoked!
post #174 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowder View Post

Got the NS-BRDVD3 yesterday. Plugged in my 1TB usb drive and the menu showed up a "Video" icon. When I clicked on the "Video" icon, I could browse the hard drive folder structure. It only showed videos ending in .wmv format. Just for kicks, I decided to rename some of my XVID and H264 .avi videos to .wmv to see what it would do.. IT PLAYED THEM! Even though this unit advertises only .wmv, it plays XVID and H264 video files renamed to .WMV! I'm stoked!

That's interesting....my USB stick had two files on it when I tried, one was an XVID .AVI file and the other a .WMV file...it listed them both as available on the "video"/USB drive screen.

If you wire your player into your home network, let us know if your connection drops or not when you power on/off the player.
post #175 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 AM

Did you do the firmware upgrade? I haven't hooked this thing up to the network/internet yet and haven't applied any firmware upgrades. When you click on "Videos', you're saying your .avi and .wmv files both show up in the list? Mine only shows .wmv files.
post #176 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I did the firmware upgrade (wish I'd waited now to see if it's what is making my network connection drop or not)....but regardless, yes, both the .AVI and the .WMV files were shown in the list of files available to select to play....and the AVI file played just fine - no audio sync issues as one other person reported with XVID AVI files.
post #177 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM

I applied the latest update last weekend and when I tried to play 720p wmv files from Microsoft's website they played, but had no audio. I also downloaded some 720p trailers from elsewhere and they did the same thing. I tried some regular non-hd wmv files and they played fine with the audio and video in sync. I didn't think to try some other file types at the time though.

Last night I had a few minutes to re-confirm a couple things:
The NS-BRDVD3 does have a built in DTS decoder. The DTS-HD logo is on top of the unit, and I tried a couple discs with the player hooked directly to my tv via HDMI. Blade 2 (DVD) played the audio/video fine with the DTS audio track selected. Transformers 2 (BLU) played several scenes fine with DTS-HD MA selected.

I can also confirm that the NS-BRDVD3 is definitely DVD region locked. When I tried to play my PAL R2 copy of [REC], the disc was ejected automatically. However it will play region free PAL DVDs and display them correctly. I put in my PAL R0 copy of Blood Diner and it loaded and played fine.
post #178 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBoi View Post

Anyone know if you can get access to this drive in the same way that an external DVD drive works, basically using it as an F: etc.

Thanks.

Thanks.
post #179 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 AM

My DVD drive in my PC is busted so I need to get a new one anyway. I'm building an HTPC in the process. I figured if I could use this as an external DVD drive then it will be a no-brainer to buy it.

For example, can I install a game on my PC by gaining access to this drive over my LAN and basically use it as an external DVD drive.

Thanks,
post #180 of 1008 Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBoi View Post

My DVD drive in my PC is busted so I need to get a new one anyway. I'm building an HTPC in the process. I figured if I could use this as an external DVD drive then it will be a no-brainer to buy it.

For example, can I install a game on my PC by gaining access to this drive over my LAN and basically use it as an external DVD drive.

Thanks,

If you plan to use this player directly as an external drive on your LAN, then the answer is No. If you plan to gut it and build something on your own from the parts inside, then I suppose it may be possible, using a different controller. Not worth the risk or effort IMO when a bare BR drive is the same price or less. If you decide to give it a try, let us know how it works out. You may be the trail blazer here.

FWIW, a new DVD drive can be had for less than $20.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia Ns Brdvd3 Blu Ray Disc Player , Roku Streaming Player , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page