Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiapa View Post

Which RCA cables are good for OPPO DBP-83 SE?

My system is composed by:

Ampli: Sunfire TGR III
Speaker: Klipsch Heresy III

Thanks!

I initally went with monoprice. Bad idea! They are so stiff, the connection would break when I pushed the equipment back into racks. Ordered Blue Jean cables, and they are perfect. You can order the exact length you need, they come color coded for 5.1 or 7.1 which turned out to be very handy. I can't tell any difference in sound quality versus my Audio Quest/Topaz high end cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post

I initally went with monoprice. Bad idea! They are so stiff, the connection would break when I pushed the equipment back into racks. Ordered Blue Jean cables, and they are perfect. You can order the exact length you need, they come color coded for 5.1 or 7.1 which turned out to be very handy. I can't tell any difference in sound quality versus my Audio Quest/Topaz high end cables.

Well, you're not supposed to put undue pressure on the cables. Doing that is bad for any cable at any price. I've used Monoprice cables for a very long time, and have never had any trouble with them.
I have also been assured from audiophiles and professionals alike, that their premium analog cables are perfectly efficient for most systems, and there's likely no SQ improvement by using high end cables.

While BlueJeans also has very good quality cables, they are priced higher than Monoprice's cables. The fact that their analog cables are a bit more flexible, makes no difference in performance.
If that feature makes them a better fit for your setup, then that's good for you.
However, there is nothing wrong with the "quality"of Monoprice's analog cables.
A fantastic value for the price paid.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4863 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Well, you're not supposed to put undue pressure on the cables. Doing that is bad for any cable at any price. I've used Monoprice cables for a very long time, and have never had any trouble with them.
I have also been assured from audiophiles and professionals alike, that their premium analog cables are perfectly efficient for most systems, and there's likely no SQ improvement by using high end cables.

While BlueJeans also has very good quality cables, they are priced higher than Monoprice's cables. The fact that their analog cables are a bit more flexible, makes no difference in performance.
If that feature makes them a better fit for your setup, then that's good for you.

Just representing my own personal experience. I've used the same cabinet with retractrable shelves for 12 years, and never had a connection problem with the 3 or 4 other brands of high end cables I've used. I don't think the torque put on the monoprice cables was much different from a typical installation, as I have about 12 inches of open space behind the equipment when pushed in. The problem cost several days of trouble shooting, thinking I had a defective 83 SE, then maybe a defective Lex processor (Which had just been modified for 8 ch bypass) When I discovered the real problem, monoprice ignored my correspondence.

All that being said, when I had a good connection, I could not tell the difference in sound quality between monoprice and Blue jean, or Audio quest.

My advice is, unless you have unlimited space behind the equipment where even a slight torque on the cable can be avoided, don't try to save $50 on cables for a medium to high end sound system costing many times that.
post #4864 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just representing my own personal experience. I've used the same cabinet with retractrable shelves for 12 years, and never had a connection problem with the 3 or 4 other brands of high end cables I've used. I don't think the torque put on the monoprice cables was much different from a typical installation, as I have about 12 inches of open space behind the equipment when pushed in. The problem cost several days of trouble shooting, thinking I had a defective 83 SE, then maybe a defective Lex processor (Which had just been modified for 8 ch bypass) When I discovered the real problem, monoprice ignored my correspondence.

All that being said, when I had a good connection, I could not tell the difference in sound quality between monoprice and Blue jean, or Audio quest.

My advice is, unless you have unlimited space behind the equipment where even a slight torque on the cable can be avoided, don't try to save $50 on cables for a medium to high end sound system costing many times that.

I hear where you are coming from... the frustration with troubleshooting... the experience with service... ect...
I don't mean to discount your own experience.
Perhaps you even got a bad batch of cables.

However, I have not had those problems with their cables.
And, I have about 7-8 inches of clearance behind my rack, and the Monoprice cables don't touch the wall.
Two different experiences recorded, helps others to make rational decisions.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #4865 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Monoprice??? You get what you pay for!! I had all Monoprice cables on my analog connections from the SE. Had, I now have a boxfull that I can't stand. I couldn't believe the difference when I went with Audioquest King Cobra's. The difference is astounding, I have nine pairs of Audioquest King Cobra's. It was like going from my Panasonic BDP to the Oppo SE all over again. A fantastic value for the price paid!!!
post #4866 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwobbrock View Post

Monoprice??? You get what you pay for!! I had all Monoprice cables on my analog connections from the SE. Had, I now have a boxfull that I can't stand. I couldn't believe the difference when I went with Audioquest King Cobra's. The difference is astounding, I have nine pairs of Audioquest King Cobra's. It was like going from my Panasonic BDP to the Oppo SE all over again. A fantastic value for the price paid!!!

Spending that money seems to have made you quite happy.
Congratulations.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #4867 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM

...over the last few weeks. Thank you all for the informative thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post

...some CD's have showed minor dropouts.

have other noted this? frequently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsc View Post

...there's a significant difference between the BDP-83NE, BDP-83SE - & the BDP-83 SE NuForce edition.

what's the difference between the NE and Nuforce? Is it "just" that one (which?) is their upgrade, and the other they sell new?

This Oppo product seems perfect for me even though I have little interest in BD playback. I'm trying to assemble a high bang-for-buck 2-channel analog audio system, to best approach my high demands on my limited means.

I'm leaning towards one of the Nuforce mods (I'm a half hour away from them, it would be nice to pick it up and avoid having UPS drop it a lot).

I'd love to see a few more A/B comparisons between the SE and NE and Modwright versions.
post #4868 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

All though I don't advocate the use of any type of cables, King Cobra's are a very nice choice for interconnect cables (shorter the better).

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4869 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Doesn't matter, in general.

Thanks Kal ...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4870 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=coyote2;18684341]...over the last few weeks. Thank you all for the informative thread!
have other noted this? frequently?
Quote:

what's the difference between the NE and Nuforce? Is it "just" that one (which?) is their upgrade, and the other they sell new?

Quote:

This Oppo product seems perfect for me even though I have little interest in BD playback. I'm trying to assemble a high bang-for-buck 2-channel analog audio system, to best approach my high demands on my limited means.

I'm leaning towards one of the Nuforce mods (I'm a half hour away from them, it would be nice to pick it up and avoid having UPS drop it a lot).

I'd love to see a few more A/B comparisons between the SE and NE and Modwright versions.

There is no real way to compare the differences between the three. Comparisons are just opinions.
Nuforce mods cost a lot less than Modright plus your BD-83SE is still covered where Modright is not.

The biggest differential between the SE and NE imo is the NE is clearer/cleaner sounding.

And if you decided to use your 2ch system for movies the Oppo does a great job of analog 2ch stereo down-mixing.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #4871 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Doesn't matter, in general.

Wow we are really on a roll, I agree.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #4872 of 5806 Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Right, I have Nordost Valhalla all the way, even in my bedroom

Seriously to me it does not make a difference as long as it is well built.
post #4873 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I have Monprice 5.1 Analog cables[+ two other sets for the external amp>RCA >XLR]+ [two more for the D2ch. set up] in my SE as well, 3ft long. I have had them for ~4yrs now. No issues with connections. I also have taken then 5.1 cables in/out quite often{beta testing the 83 & SE}. If it helps i have a buddy, who i just called that has a high end system and cable$$. Next week he is going to swap out his hi-end cables and bring them over here to see if we can hear a difference. Not expecting to hear a -major difference- but will be fun. I have a Modest mid-level system.5.1 . I also, have HDMI both by BJ and Mono- both work the same/have swapped them a few times. *BJ construction is much nicer and better for rougher environment-but $$X4 the price.
post #4874 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post

...drop outs...

In thousands of hours of disc and streaming I've heard exactly one nonrepeatable drop out. That was on early firmware, so I'd say that bug was fixed. There was/is a bug where the beginning couple of seconds of a song won't play. There is a work-around (turn off auto-play) and that old bug has probably been fixed, too. (Not sure, as 999/1000 times I play a disc straight through) If you've read the thread, then you've probably read my reviews where I captured operational issues compared to a dedicated CDP. The Oppo has some drawbacks and you will probably need to hook up a monitor unless you only play redbook CDs. Not sure that's a mistake necessarily, but it is certainly vastly under utilizing the player's music making capabilities.

I was happy with the BDP-83 when it first came out - great audio bang for the buck and it surpassed one of my older Modwright Sony CDPs. The SE, is even better and surpassed my other older CDP. I'll probably get the NE upgrade eventually, but am in no hurry. So far, there has been no penalty for enjoying each step of the upgrade process as I too live close to Oppo & NuForce .

Styln
post #4875 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Spending that money seems to have made you quite happy.
Congratulations.

Smarty-pants,

No I was not happy to spend the money. I have been unemployed for over a year and a half. But outing the Monoprice anaolg interconnects after two years, for Audioquest King Cobra cables (at half the cost of my Oppo SE, for all nine pairs) was such a significant improvement in sound, that the Monoprice cables will never see my system again. Nothing wrong with the Monoprice cables except the sound/tone they produce. You can do so much better, but they are cheap! Glad you are happy with Monoprice! I used to think they were great for the money, until I auditioned several other brands and compared over the last three months. There is no cost to try different cables, as most sellers will give you thirty days, just like Oppo.
post #4876 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Nuforce mods cost a lot less than Modright plus your BD-83SE is still covered where Modright is not.

I do like that, thanks! Unless I read a few comparisons of the sound of the NE and the Modright (which I suppose is rather unlikely, few are going to have both), I expect to grab a NE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

In thousands of hours of disc and streaming I've heard exactly one nonrepeatable drop out. That was on early firmware, so I'd say that bug was fixed.

that is a great relief, thank you!
post #4877 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks Styln:

Makes sense .... I was debating whether its worth the extra $250 I'd pay Dan ModWright to add the stereo balanced option on my SE. I have a feeling I'll hang on to it

Another Modwright player coming up We expect a full report, dmusoke. The least you can do after we saved you 250 bucks

Styln
post #4878 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Another Modwright player coming up We expect a full report, dmusoke. The least you can do after we saved you 250 bucks

Styln

Maybe....after room treatments and speaker position optimizations which could take a really long while

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #4879 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What features does the "special edition" have over the regular BDP-83, and why is it needed?
post #4880 of 5806 Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSnake View Post

What features does the "special edition" have over the regular BDP-83, and why is it needed?

It's all about analog audio, and only about analog audio. The Oppo website has the details in the BDP-83SE product description.
post #4881 of 5806 Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Sorry ... wrong forum! Will post to the Oppo 83 forum.
post #4882 of 5806 Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Smarty-pants,

No I was not happy to spend the money. I have been unemployed for over a year and a half. But outing the Monoprice anaolg interconnects after two years, for Audioquest King Cobra cables (at half the cost of my Oppo SE, for all nine pairs) was such a significant improvement in sound, that the Monoprice cables will never see my system again. Nothing wrong with the Monoprice cables except the sound/tone they produce. You can do so much better, but they are cheap! Glad you are happy with Monoprice! I used to think they were great for the money, until I auditioned several other brands and compared over the last three months. There is no cost to try different cables, as most sellers will give you thirty days, just like Oppo.

Step right up boys and girls.....this here snake oil will not only cure any calamity, but it will also make your speakers sing like they never have! Yes, you are unemployed and can't afford a burger right now, but have no fear....this magical elixir will produce incredibly improved musical notes which will be your solace as you starve to death.
post #4883 of 5806 Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post

Step right up boys and girls.....this here snake oil will not only cure any calamity, but it will also make your speakers sing like they never have! Yes, you are unemployed and can't afford a burger right now, but have no fear....this magical elixir will produce incredibly improved musical notes which will be your solace as you starve to death.

I find it a bit ironic that anyone would refer to another product category in this way on a forum that presumes and advances the premise that the 83SE audio is superior to other DVD/CD players. Especially when we alll know that 90% of the people probably believe that there is no such thing as a better sounding unversal/dvd/blu-ray/cd player.

Over the I years have spent a lot of money on both cables and CD playback gear, and in my opinion I am convinced that the 83 SE at a fraction cost is as good or better than the the Theta, Mark Levison stuff that I have owned. On the other hand I have close minded friends that refuse to accept the fact that a $900 universal player is or even can be at the same level as multi thousand dedicated CD players etc.

Regarding the cable game, my bottom line is yes they do and can sound different but the one thing I am convinced of is that there is absolutely no correlation between price and performance.In other words it wouldn't suprise me if an $18 Blu Jeans Cable sounded better than a "high end" interconnect that cost $1800. Having an open mind is why some folks can accept that the Oppo 83SE's audio performance is as good as it get's and others will dismiss it because it is too expensive and just snake oil, or it doesn't cost enough to really be considered a high end product.

30 years ago when I tried my first pair of Monster Cable interconnects I was astonished by both the improvement and the fact that they were selling for the unheard of price of $93 a meter. Since that time I have had a lot of wire in my systems. Yes some are better than others, some are just different and some are actually worse. Cable performance is very system and room dependent.
post #4884 of 5806 Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by erniec View Post

Cable performance is very system and room dependent.

Not only that, but cable discussions are very thread-dependent!

(Sorry, but while I hate sounding like the "topic police," I hate a potentially lengthy digression about the relative merits of cables slightly more!)
post #4885 of 5806 Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

My advice is read about The 10 Biggest Lies in Audio,

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_26_r.pdf

and save the $50 and by more music.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #4886 of 5806 Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Cable performance is very system and room dependent.

Amen.

And more money does not always buy better sound. But it can. . .
post #4887 of 5806 Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I agree that Monoprice cables are too stiff, and mine are also now sitting in a box unused. They are so stiff that in addition to breaking connection, they can even damage the ports on your equipment (applies more to HDMI, but can also occur with RCA). I find that paying a few extra bucks for Blue Jeans is worth it for the more flexible cable w/ nicer connectors they offer.
post #4888 of 5806 Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniec View Post

I find it a bit ironic that anyone would refer to another product category in this way on a forum that presumes and advances the premise that the 83SE audio is superior to other DVD/CD players. Especially when we alll know that 90% of the people probably believe that there is no such thing as a better sounding unversal/dvd/blu-ray/cd player.

A player with better DACs can definitely have an effect on performance, hence this thread. My issue is those people who claim that their uber-expensive "cable of the gods" can outperform simple 12-guage lamp cord are full of bull excrement. When they go on to claim they tested all these cables and heard the difference I laugh.

Numerous audio experts have offered up rewards for those who can prove in a blind test the difference between Snakeoil A3000's and Radio Shack baling wire.....yet nobody has collected as of yet. I just hate to see somebody claim they spent their last dollar on cables versus rent because it was that important, and sucker just one person into believing this tallest tale in the audio world. Please. The King isn't wearing any clothes. Nada. He's naked as a jaybird. Give it a fricking rest already! Yes, you wasted your money....why do you feel the need to convince others to be equally ignorant?

Ok, off the soap box. I guess I just have an aversion to ignorance. My bad!
post #4889 of 5806 Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post

A player with better DACs can definitely have an effect on performance, hence this thread. My issue is those people who claim that their uber-expensive "cable of the gods" can outperform simple 12-guage lamp cord are full of bull excrement. When they go on to claim they tested all these cables and heard the difference I laugh.

Numerous audio experts have offered up rewards for those who can prove in a blind test the difference between Snakeoil A3000's and Radio Shack baling wire.....yet nobody has collected as of yet. I just hate to see somebody claim they spent their last dollar on cables versus rent because it was that important, and sucker just one person into believing this tallest tale in the audio world. Please. The King isn't wearing any clothes. Nada. He's naked as a jaybird. Give it a fricking rest already! Yes, you wasted your money....why do you feel the need to convince others to be equally ignorant?

Ok, off the soap box. I guess I just have an aversion to ignorance. My bad!

There is no need to get insulting or think others should not express there views. Yes your post is your bad!

"Don't worry be happy"

post #4890 of 5806 Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I agree that Monoprice cables are too stiff, and mine are also now sitting in a box unused. They are so stiff that in addition to breaking connection, they can even damage the ports on your equipment (applies more to HDMI, but can also occur with RCA). I find that paying a few extra bucks for Blue Jeans is worth it for the more flexible cable w/ nicer connectors they offer.

I am glad to see you are little by little coming around.
btw I had a HDMI BJ cable about 4 years ago and it broke my HDMI input on my Denon SDDVD player, but then again I didn't know much back then.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page