Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5791 of 5806 Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I took the cover off, removed the analog board, reinstalled it and made sure all the connections were good. Hooked it back up and now DSD over analog, both the stereo and multi channel layer, are working properly!?!? Everything appeared to be fine before I removed the board but I guess something must have been off a smidge. Now I need to find some time to give the SE some serious listening to!

Good for you! The most likely "repair" needed here was simply to correct a connection that got jarred loose in shipment. Depending on whether the previous owner used DSD or not, it might have been that way for a while.

If you spot any additional problems, try re-installing the current firmware first, as it may not have fully "taken" if some connection really was loose.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5806 Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How would I go about re-installing the firmware? I assume I would have to download it to a usb stick or something. I tried to update the firmware via the network and it says the firmware is up to date.
post #5793 of 5806 Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

How would I go about re-installing the firmware? I assume I would have to download it to a usb stick or something. I tried to update the firmware via the network and it says the firmware is up to date.

Correct. If you are already current you need to install from USB or a CD. OPPO's pages have instructions.

-Bill
post #5794 of 5806 Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

As of now it appears to be working 100%. I decided to run the stereo outputs of all my sources through the 886 so it can handle the switching and volume using the zone 2 ouput to my headphone amp. I only had a few minutes to listen last night but it sounds great! I will try running directly from the SE to the headphone amp to compare just to see how much, if any, sound quality I am losing running through the 886. If the loss is minor I will keep it running through the 886. The ability to switch sources and control volume without having to change cables or turning the knob on the headphone amp are worth a minor loss of sound quality. If the loss is more than minor then I am going to have to rethink it.
post #5795 of 5806 Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted in the 886 thread as well but I still have no responses.

Anyway, with the volume set to variable it is bluntly obvious of the degrade in sound quality. I am actually shocked of the difference, After matching levels the best I could it was still plainly obvious of the difference in sound quality. With the sound set to variable in the 886 it almost sounded like there was a "veil" over the sound. With it set to fixed the sound quality opened up and sounded just incredible. The difference is night and day.

I have to assume the 886 is doing more than performing volume control when variable is selected. I posted in the 886 thread as well hoping someone will confirm my suspension. Regardless, for now I will allow the 886 to switch sources but I will control the volume using the tube amp.
post #5796 of 5806 Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I did get a great answer in the 886 thread. Someone posted a photo of the analog signal path from the 906 service manual. The 886 and 906 are almost identical but the 886 has no amps of course. The zone 2 output has a tone control box that the analog signal goes through before outputting. The Zone 3 output does not have any tone control. I am now using the zone 3 output. I haven't had time to a/b the sound quality using the volume control yet. For now I am leaving it as fixed and controlling the volume using the headphone amp.

Anyway, I updated the firmware using a usb stick. I then tested the regular stereo outputs as well as the multi-channel outputs set to downmix stereo with no sub. Both outputs are working perfectly with PCM as well as DSD. I think it is safe to say whatever the problem was is now corrected.

BTW, boy does this player sound good!!!
post #5797 of 5806 Old 08-10-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question. I've been trying to read this entire thread. I am now up to page 66. I came across a post that stated the volume control does not work when you are outputting DSD. I just checked on my player and volume does work when outputting DSD. The on screen display says it is outputting DSD, my 886 preamp is receiving a DSD signal via HDMI, and I can still control the volume using the Oppo's volume control.

I assume Oppo added that ability in a firmware update. If that is true is there a listing anywhere of what firmware updates changed what? I looked on Oppo's site but I couldn't find anything.
post #5798 of 5806 Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
There are summaries of all firmware releases plus a lot of other info in the first few posts on the BDP-83 thread. You can find it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1124287/official-oppo-bdp-83-owners-thread-technical-talk-only#post_15914837

Everything about the BDP-83 also applies to the 83SE as far as video, HDMI and other features. Only the analog audio features are unique to the SE.

post #5799 of 5806 Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

There are summaries of all firmware releases plus a lot of other info in the first few posts on the BDP-83 thread. You can find it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1124287/official-oppo-bdp-83-owners-thread-technical-talk-only#post_15914837

Everything about the BDP-83 also applies to the 83SE as far as video, HDMI and other features. Only the analog audio features are unique to the SE.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. Sure enough about half way through the firmware updates I found my answer. They did add volume control for DSD.
post #5800 of 5806 Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Everything about the BDP-83 also applies to the 83SE as far as video, HDMI and other featur ,es. Only the analog audio features are unique to the SE.

Btw, according to the firmware updates the 83 and 83se volume controls are not the same. I assume it is because of the different dacs. The regular 83 can't control the volume of the multichannel outputs while using dsd. The SE can. I tried it on my SE and I can control both the multichannel and stereo volume using the Oppo's volume control.
post #5801 of 5806 Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 10

How does the DAC in the BDP-95 or 103 compare to the 83SE.  I own the 83SE and I play a lot of SACD material through the analog outs on my player.  

post #5802 of 5806 Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The 95 uses the dacs the 83se uses for the stereo outputs for the multi channel outputs as well as stereo. I've read many threads comparing the two and most said they sound similar. I haven't compared them so I can't comment on that.
post #5803 of 5806 Old 12-26-2013, 06:00 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you. BTW, native Rhode Islander myself.
post #5804 of 5806 Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello. New to this thread, but not a new Oppo owner. I have owned the BDP83SE for about 3 years and now I am moving it to my dedicated 2-channel system for CD and SACD playback, replacing an NAD M5. For CD playback, I will use the coax out going into a PS Audio NuWave DAC and for SACD playback I'll be using the player's dedicated 2-channel outs. I was just wishing to "pick your brains" a little as to how I might want to set up the player for optimum audio playback for both CD and SACD, and yes, I have read the manual on this, but I just wanted to hear your suggestions as to which menu options will work the best. Thanks!

William R. Moore
post #5805 of 5806 Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whoops! I almost forgot! Will the 83SE, thru the USB port play back any of the newer HiRez music files such as FLAC and some of the others. And then the manual says that a thumb drive containing such files must be formatted using the "FAT 32" file system. Is this common and compatible with Windows 7? I'm really in the dark when it comes to downloading or playing back files stored on a thumb drive. Can you "clue me in?" thanks again!

William R. Moore
post #5806 of 5806 Old 02-13-2014, 03:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Whoops! I almost forgot! Will the 83SE, thru the USB port play back any of the newer HiRez music files such as FLAC and some of the others. And then the manual says that a thumb drive containing such files must be formatted using the "FAT 32" file system. Is this common and compatible with Windows 7? I'm really in the dark when it comes to downloading or playing back files stored on a thumb drive. Can you "clue me in?" thanks again!

The -83 is limited in the types of files it will play from USB. It does not support FLAC or other hidef audio formats. Later players added more.

For more info, see the FAQ sections:

FAT is very common on USB sticks and is one of the original Windows filesystems.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page