Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #5821 of 5824 Old 12-12-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Never had a problem with my 83SE but some people have had either loader problems or laser problems that lead to the unknown disc message. The loader problems are often fixed for free. I think fixing an SE for $79 is well worth the investment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5824 Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
That's weird. Never had a problem with any DVD on my SE. Mine has a region-free mod though. Can you cite some examples of problem discs?
I grabbed a handful of DVDs off the shelf, looking for things that you might have, omitting things like DVDs of trains and science programs.

Would not load:
Black Hawk Down
Laura (film noir from 1944)
Flags of Our Fathers
Letters from Iwo Jima
Lawrence of Arabia

Refused once, then loaded on re-try:
Finding Nemo

Loaded with no problem:
Wall Street
Ghost and the Darkness
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

As to the other question -- I don't remember being aware of the problem in the spring of 2014. But by then I'd bought an additional player (Panasonic) to play 3D Blu-Rays. Anything the Oppo refuses to load works fine on the Panasonic. But the Panasonic doesn't play SACDs.
post #5823 of 5824 Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypte View Post
I grabbed a handful of DVDs off the shelf, looking for things that you might have, omitting things like DVDs of trains and science programs.

Would not load:
Black Hawk Down
Laura (film noir from 1944)
Flags of Our Fathers
Letters from Iwo Jima
Lawrence of Arabia

Refused once, then loaded on re-try:
Finding Nemo

Loaded with no problem:
Wall Street
Ghost and the Darkness
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

As to the other question -- I don't remember being aware of the problem in the spring of 2014. But by then I'd bought an additional player (Panasonic) to play 3D Blu-Rays. Anything the Oppo refuses to load works fine on the Panasonic. But the Panasonic doesn't play SACDs.
I have several of the discs you have that wouldn't load or loaded with problems and they work fine for me. These are Finding Nemo, Laura and Lawrence of Arabia. It is possible that your player just needs to have its DVD laser assembly cleaned. Give Oppo a call or send them an email and they will walk you through a procedure, if you want to try it for yourself. You could also send it in for repair and they will fix everything for $79. An 83SE is well worth fixing, especially at that price. Like I said, contact Oppo first and they'll advise you how to proceed.

BTW, I have a lot of train, plane and science DVDs too and they have never presented any problems either. My 83SE is mostly my secondary player now and was moved to the bedroom system when I bought a 105 a few years ago but it still gets occasional use.

post #5824 of 5824 Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same here, got the 83 SE with Region Mod and Finding Nemo and Black Hawk Down worked without any problems...

... have a nice day ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page