Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There does seem to be a correlation between price and the achievement of world class audio, in some circles. So if you buy a used $4500 Denon for $1000, does it no longer have world class audio?

That would be a "steal" of a world-class player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonski View Post

Just a quick comparison:

Model
List Price Range
Main/Added value
Notes
Oppo BDP-83 $499 World class BD player
Oppo BDP-83SE $899 Improved 2 CH analog $798 List Price w/upgrade
Oppo BDP-83SE/NF $1295 More improved 2 CH analog opamps
ModWright/RS mods $1500-$2000 World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog Discrete analog circuits
Denon $2000 World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog
High End Brands based on Oppo 83 (Lexicon etc) $3000+ World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog
Denon, MacIntosh, Marantz etc $4500+ World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog

Oh please, don't put up a table with wrong information!
83SE and SE/NF both offer better 7.1 analog output. Your 83SE upgrade price is wrong.
post #723 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuforce-jason View Post

83SE and SE/NF both offer better 7.1 analog output. Your 83SE upgrade price is wrong.

OK. Sorry. I have revised my original post to include 7.1 ch.

The upgrade price listed is the total cost of 83SE = $499 + $299 = $798, for proper comparison with the rest.
post #724 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the table should be held for review until someone actually does that between the SE, the NE, and the "world class" units. It's probably premature to just label the NE version as "more improved". Considering that we haven't read a thing about the Lexicon "Oppo clone", why should it be given that status...as SoM stated, price alone???
post #725 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:

How about if you're a "multi-channel music" person? Would you then recommend the NE, or still say to stick with the SE?

Stick with the SE but if extra $400 is pocket change to you, get the NE.

Quote:

Jason, please what are your thoughts on whether there are any serious benefits CD listening wise by purchasing the SE or even Nuforce over the standard BDP-83, when it's 'only' being connected to a AV receiver with both analogue stereo and HDMI?

As one (may be more) of the members have just posted quick review of the 83SE (upgraded unit), the improvement in 2 channel listening in huge. Well, SE also offers big improvement in 7.1 analog output!!
The SE+NE in 2 channel will compete well with many high-end CD players out there. As I said in my previous email, we were aiming for the performance level of the famous Marantz SA-7 ($7000). The SE+NE is not the same level as the purist SA-7, but it will compete well with many other world class CD player out there at a few X its price. Our CDP-8 is meant to compete with SA-7 . SE+NE come close to the CDP-8.

Modifying the SE board is not a simple task. In our case, we feel that it has to be done in a production setting due to many changes that we made. Typically a production line has well documented steps and each technician only perform a specific area (one person doing all of the changes would definitely make mistake). Players have to be tested again. So charging extra $400 is not a lot of money. We have access to information so our mod is not a reverse engineering work.
post #726 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

I think the table should be held for review until someone actually does that between the SE, the NE, and the "world class" units. It's probably premature to just label the NE version as "more improved". Considering that we haven't read a thing about the Lexicon "Oppo clone", why should it be given that status...as SoM stated, price alone???

Actually, it should be 7.1 for the SE and everything beyond! (Don't know how I missed that the first time around.)
It is only a chart as to what the modder or factory claims has been improved.
The chart is not there to say which is better, only what is available and what part of the player is effected.

We can try and rank them later, and I doubt that will be universally agreed on...
post #727 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

People, RELAX!!!

It's just a table I did quickly to put available information in perspective. As I said before, just my opinion. Let's not make a Federal case out of it.

If it's useful for anyone, OK, otherwise ignore it. For all I know, after actual testing, the reviews may shed more light on the perception of the performance of these units. Great. I look forward to that.
post #728 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

actually, it should be 7.1 for the se and everything beyond! (don't know how i missed that the first time around.)
it is only a chart as to what the modder or factory claims has been improved.
The chart is not there to say which is better, only what is available and what part of the player is effected.

We can try and rank them later, and i doubt that will be universally agreed on...

Thank you!
post #729 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you!

Thank you!
I for one appreciate the chart, and hope you take the suggestions as only that.
As we know only too well, a lot can change in a day.
post #730 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjork View Post

The first person who does a properly level matched comparison (and not by ear, either -- with an SPL meter) gets a kewpie doll.

That's what I did, as stated in my review (good ol Rat Shack calibrated SPL meter, with XLO break-in cd test tones). It's the only way to get within a decent gain level. Please send my kewpie doll to :

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #731 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM

How about this (removed references to "world class" and made the comparisons more neutral):

Model
List Price Range
Main/Added value
Notes
Oppo BDP-83 $499 "base" for comparison (Cirrus Logic DACs)
Oppo BDP-83SE $899 Improved 2/7.1 CH analog (new audio board with ESS Sabre DACs) Upgrade $299 from BDP-83 (limited time offer)
Oppo BDP-83SE/NF $1295 Further improved analog audio Better voltage regulation
ModWright/RS mods $1500-$2000 Potentially further improved audio Specific changes to BDP-83SE design unknown
Denon $2000 High quality analog audio (compared with BDP-83) Quality with respect to BDP-83SE unknown
High End Brands based on Oppo 83 (Lexicon etc) $3000+ Potentially further improved audio Specific changes to BDP-83(SE) design unknown
Denon, MacIntosh, Marantz etc $4500+ High quality analog audio Quality with respect to BDP-83(SE/NF/+) unknown
post #732 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Just a quick comparison:

Model
List Price Range
Main/Added value
Notes
Oppo BDP-83 $499 World class BD player
Oppo BDP-83SE $899 Improved 2/7.1 CH analog $798 List Price w/upgrade
Oppo BDP-83SE/NF $1295 More improved 2/7.1 CH analog opamps
ModWright/RS mods $1500-$2000 World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog Discrete analog circuits
Denon $2000 World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog
High End Brands based on Oppo 83 (Lexicon etc) $3000+ World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog
Denon, MacIntosh, Marantz etc $4500+ World class 2 Ch, 7 MCH analog

Have the $2000 Denon and the Lexicon units actually hit the streets yet? I've seen some reports of the Denon being available in limited quantities in its thread, but no reviews yet. I haven't heard anything about the Lexicon shipping yet - it seems a bit premature to claim that it has world class 2 analog performance. I also don't believe the Denon is really expected to have world class 2 channel performance - that's what the A1 is supposed to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

BTW, I do not think the SE upgrade is $798.

I think he meant that an original BDP-83 plus the SE upgrade would bring the total to $798.
post #733 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Tham View Post

How about this (removed references to "world class" and made the comparisons more neutral):

Wow, that' s tough.. do I want High Quality, Added Value, Improved, Further improved, Potentially further improved, etc.? I feel like I am standing in Baskin Robbins! At least the prices keep it all real!
post #734 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

I am a novice but need to replace my current DVD and was in the process of ordering Oppo BDP-83 when I saw the SE version. I have a Denon AVR-2805 which of course does not have HDMI connections so I was going to connect audio via 8 channel analog. I have a simple 7.1 set up not theather
quality. I was not intending to up grade my Denon. In this more consumer and nonaudiophile setup would there be significant differences that would warrant the additional expense of the SE. Should I be upgrading the Denon instead (which I really don't want to spend the $ as it appears to work fine)
We mainly will use for movies although a significant number will be concert. Thanks for helping a rookie out.
post #735 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Kal,

Do you advocate test CDs for burn-in on cd/blu-ray transports. If yes, do have a recommendation.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #736 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw2009 View Post

I am a novice but need to replace my current DVD and was in the process of ordering Oppo BDP-83 when I saw the SE version. I have a Denon AVR-2805 which of course does not have HDMI connections so I was going to connect audio via 8 channel analog. I have a simple 7.1 set up not theather
quality. I was not intending to up grade my Denon. In this more consumer and nonaudiophile setup would there be significant differences that would warrant the additional expense of the SE. Should I be upgrading the Denon (which I really don't want to spend the $ as it appears to work fine)
We mainly will use for movies although a significant number will be concert. Thanks for helping a rookie out.

I would chose the BDP-83 and pass on the SE. You could save $400.00 to put towards a future receiver upgrade when the time comes.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #737 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Kal,

Do you advocate test CDs for burn-in on cd/blu-ray transports. If yes, do have a recommendation.

Respectfully,
Willie

No and no.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #738 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuforce-jason View Post

Harsh.

I agree with you on "wrong information!", but "Oh please"

Don't forget you have changed your "Shipping" information date for the 3rd time now on your web page, for the BDP-83SE NE. Now your web page shows, "Shipping November 24". The same wording applied two your first and second shipping dates.

Also if you are going to make a correction to a post, can you then also comment on the Opamps for the BDP-83SE NE, that is also shown in the post you corrected. Is that part right are you changing the Opamps in your Neforce edition?

ss
post #739 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibber View Post

Very interesting SoundofMind, I had not seen these posts. So your thoughts are that I would have more benefit from HDMI to the A/V reciever with Audyssey roomcorrection than with SE's analogue stereo and pure direct on the reciever? This makes sense since my listening space is a standard livingroom. Seems like I could save 600USD, which the pricedifference is here in Europe, without any major loss in CD sound. Cheers!

Yes, I guarantee you will be very happy with HDMI for all sources from the 83. If you want to compare that SQ to the Oppo dedicated stereo outs for redbook CDs and HDCD only, I recommend avoiding the Denon EXT IN pure analog route. I have seen nothing on this thread that suggests the SE upgrade would be worth it for me and I doubt it would be for you.

BTW, do you have the Audyssey DynEQ Firmware upgrade for your 4308? If not, that's the best $100 you'll ever spend in audio.

I never use Direct/Pure Direct as it disables bass management and I love how my Polk sub blends with my Polk towers set to small, xover =80. I listen to stereo in Stereo mode.

I think you should not be concerned with Killer Banana's results (no offense, Killer). My God man, he has a 1803! That is years older and several levels down from your unit, with no Audyssey Room EQ. Apples and oranges.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #740 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Harsh.

I agree with you on "wrong information!", but "Oh please"

ss

Mamma always said you should say please when making a request.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #741 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

So I resumed my SE/83 comparison tonight. The SE now has 24 additional hours of repeat play (mostly DSD). The result is that lasty night's 2-5% 83-to-SE DSD improvement became a bit larger of a gap, maybe a few more percent, nothing major or noticeable without significant a/b'ing. But now, the cumulative improvements make it easier to single out the improved aspects of the SEs DSD sound: better control of LF, leading edge transients (i.e attack coming out of the darkness) are better defined and yet less brittle or harsh. For example, the incredible recording of a piano in the Mirror Canon SACD sounds more like it is in the room, with a certain crack or bite to the key strokes, not just musical notes. Also, the air around each set of notes is more like real air, not just recorded fade outs. In the incredibly dynamic Whites Off Earth Now (Cowboy Junkies 1986 album recorded with a single Ambisonic microphone) the air just sizzles like Marshall amps sitting in the room. The intended hyper-real sound is truly hyper-real with the SE in DSD mode.

So what happens when you switch to DSD->PCM mode? Well, in the 83 it's a drop off that takes the music back several (albeit small) steps. Still sounds good, but not "wow, and this costs less than $1K" good. The transients and harmonics, the air, all flattened and warmed over. In some bright systems it's likely quite fine, but doing an a/b (and c/d in this example) with what we just heard was brutally insufficient.

We moved to the SE, went in and changed the setup menu to SACD mode PCM and tried again. Hmmmm, not much of a drop off at all, maybe slightly rounded off, sounding more like a couple percent warmer and rolled off than the 83's own wonderful DSD, maybe even the same (too much of a hassle to change the 83 back to DSD...I wish there was a remote code that would do this...anybody?). But suffice it to say that the DSD -to-PCM conversion in the SE is something akin to a slight cable change, nothing that I couldn't live with if I hadn't heard native DSD. Makes sense, cuz I believe the Sabre32 DACS just LOVE PCM, it is their sweetspot, and to go from DSD to PCM (don't even know the sample rate, etc.) is a very small caveat indeed. The sizzle/liveliness remains, but not harsh or bright. The soundstage depth doesn't collapse like it does when converting in the standard 83. The microdetail remains, albeit slightly out of focus when a/b'd within 30 seconds or so. Those folks who claim SACDs and DSD give them listener fatigue due to the HF filtering might even like forced PCM better, who knows. Not me...I'm staying with each formats native strength (SACD in DSD, DVD-A and BluRay in PCM...although not like PCM is a choice for DVD-A ).

I'll report more tomorrow cuz one thing I haven't tested is 2 channel BluRay audio (I don't own Neil Young Archives but will a/b things like Divertimenti). I'm betting this PCM-based format will shine in the SE too.

This is my summary for now: the SE and the standard 83 do DSD very well, with a nod to the SE for a touch more liveliness and air. The SE clearly bests the 83 in PCM mode, whether it be DVD-Audio, (likely BluRay audio) or converted SACD. Is the $400 worth it for me?? Absolutely!

One issue worth noting: my SE unit has tended to freeze more than once. I've put it through a few too many setups, etc and a power cycle or just reinserting a disc has solved the problem each time. No such freeze ups with the 83 though. ?

post #742 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Ted_B, thanks so much for taking the lead on the BD-83SE.

Also to be fair with Jason, he told me about the hours of run time before the BD-83SE NE reaches its full potential . All be it in more general terms.

ss
post #743 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

One issue worth noting: my SE unit has tended to freeze more than once. I've put it through a few too many setups, etc and a power cycle or just reinserting a disc has solved the problem each time. No such freeze ups with the 83 though. ?

Can you expand on this a little? Does it freeze in the middle of playback, or upon powering on the player?
When exactly in the physical process of playing a disc does it freeze?

Does it freeze more with any particular setting, or random?

Is there a possibility you may be smothering the player, not giving enough room to breath and as such the freezes are heat associated?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #744 of 5806 Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Ted_B, any details you can provide would be helpful. Other then what smarty is asking, is there any situation where it is repeatable?

Oppo Beta Group
post #745 of 5806 Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Kal,

Respectfully,
Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

No and no.

Kal,

Follow-up question. Do you recommend a burn-in period? If so, what's the best source?

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #746 of 5806 Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM

Received my SE upgrade Tuesday. Watched "UP" last night. Sound was amazing. Very open, with enhanced dynamics. I'm running 2 channel thru a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp, with a pair of 804's (B & W) speakers. I did an A/B test between my Marantz DV-4001 and The OPPP with a CD and there was no comparison. My $300 spent was well worth it!
post #747 of 5806 Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuster View Post

It's too bad Oppo/NuForce/etc aren't making these upgrades/mods available as a DIY kit as well, for those of us with electronic and soldering skills.

More than agreed especially for those not in the US.

The SE board connectors look to be at similar location as the original board. I don't think you need to solder anything for this upgrade apart from plugging in the new boards. But I could be wrong.
post #748 of 5806 Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The one SE freeze up I encountered happened while I was unplugging HDMI (I have a slight low level buzz in my system if HDMI is connected and I'm not using it though HT Bypass with the Denon on, so I unplug it) after a setup was done. Also, twice it happened when I was changing audio from mch to 2 channel. As I said, a simple eject/insert fixed the latter problem. Only once did I find the machine non-responsive (i.e eject wouldn't work, etc) and so I pulled the pc from the IEC.

No, the machine is by no means smothered. My equipment does not sit in enclosed racks. It sits on top of the 83, but is open to the air with nothing above it or beside it. Both 83 and SE sit on the top shelf of a Sistrum SP-2 open rack.

post #749 of 5806 Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 AM

I currently have a Denon 2910 and 1930Cl for SACD/DVDA. Run them into a Lexicon MC8B, so I'm basically analog for SACD and DVDA. The 83 didn't seem to get great marks for analog, so I was pleased to see some effort go into the SE, NuForce, etc. on that point alone.

My choices for BluRay (this Xmas?) are one of the upgraded models or just a BluRay with analog outs and the HD audio decoders, continuing to use the Denons for SACD/DVDA.

With the SE, I was hoping the analog improvement would justify getting that model and moving the other machines elsewhere. Basically, I just want to know if the analog improvement on the SE is that significant.

Thanks...Dave
post #750 of 5806 Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Yes, I guarantee you will be very happy with HDMI for all sources from the 83. If you want to compare that SQ to the Oppo dedicated stereo outs for redbook CDs and HDCD only, I recommend avoiding the Denon EXT IN pure analog route. I have seen nothing on this thread that suggests the SE upgrade would be worth it for me and I doubt it would be for you.

BTW, do you have the Audyssey DynEQ Firmware upgrade for your 4308? If not, that's the best $100 you'll ever spend in audio.

I never use Direct/Pure Direct as it disables bass management and I love how my Polk sub blends with my Polk towers set to small, xover =80. I listen to stereo in Stereo mode.

I think you should not be concerned with Killer Banana's results (no offense, Killer). My God man, he has a 1803! That is years older and several levels down from your unit, with no Audyssey Room EQ. Apples and oranges.

The OPPO-83 I pre-ordered for almost 1 year ago finally arrived, so I hopefully can get to test HDMI/Analogue in the weekend and see if one should make use of the 14 day return/exchange for the SE arriving early December in DK.

Appreciate the information about not using Direct, since I also use my sub together with my tower speakers, System Audio 1750, made in Denmark

Also only a week ago I ordered the "A" upgrade for my 4308, so I should soon be set to go.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page