Hiteker Blu-Ray player? Any info? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Saw it listed in an ad at my local Shop-Rite (NJ) market. Never heard of the Hiteker name at all. They also have a standard DVD player available.

The ads says 7.1 channel, but doesn't mention if that analog or HDMI. No idea what BD Profile it supports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any idea if these are the 1026 players available in Europe that can (apparently) play both DVDs and Blu Ray discs from other regions? Would love to get my hands on one of those...
post #3 of 43 Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

I can confirm that the manual for the 1026 is almost identical to the Curtis 1102 which is available in Canada. I'll see if I can get one hooked up tomorrow and test the code on it....
post #4 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

I couldn't get any Zellers employee to hook one up. It's buy it and return it if you don't like it only. If anyone else is in Canada, please see if you can get someone at Zellers to hook one up and check the codes. There is one more store in my area that I will try later in the week. I'm not holding my breath though. The price point on these very basic players is bad though. Zellers wants $170CAD for one when much better players are available for less money. Keep watching the sales fliers though, they may drop the price on these units if they don't sell (and for this much money I can't see that they will)....
post #5 of 43 Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Confirmed by a poster at videohelp that the player accepts the region change code for DVDs. He has no Region B Blu Ray discs but will have some soon to confirm the "out of region" Blu Ray playback if it works. I may try to pick one up myself, especially if the prices come down. Might be useful....
post #6 of 43 Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have you seen one in person? I'm interested does it have 5.1 or 7.1 RCA plug analog outs, or just stereo 2 outs?
post #7 of 43 Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

You can download the manual here:

http://www.curtisint.com/web/search-...asp?action=1st

They won't hook one up or let me pull it out of the box to look, so I can't help much at the present time....
post #8 of 43 Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi

I own this player and I bought it in Begium for 99 euro. You can make it region free with a remote code;it's a momitsu 799 clone and has a 2channel analog output.

Just ask if you want to know someyhing about this player!
post #9 of 43 Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

It has been confirmed that the Curtis 1102 sold by Zellers Canada and possibly others can indeed play back other region Blu Ray discs. Confirmed by a poster at videohelp. I think it's still a bit pricey but for what it does, it could be worth it for some people. I'll keep checking the ads and if it goes on sale, I'll let you know.

To Kurtos: we knew that the European version of the player would play both SD DVD and Blu Ray out of region discs but we were uncertain if the North American one would. Can you tell us if the player will play MKVs over 2GB in size? Many players here won't even touch them, while some have this 2 GB size limit for files. Also, will it play AVCHDs burned onto double layer discs? Again, many players won't play those. Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to give us....
post #10 of 43 Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi

I tested an mkv file of 4.3 GB and it worked fine. I also tried an AVCHD but it didn't work! I will try another one and will post if it worked with this one!

greetz
post #11 of 43 Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Just to let everyone know, Zellers will be selling the Curtis 1102 starting today (Jan. 29th) through Thursday Feb. 4th for $100CAD, down from $170CAD. Time to get my first new toy for the new year.....
post #12 of 43 Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtos View Post

Hi

I tested an mkv file of 4.3 GB and it worked fine. I also tried an AVCHD but it didn't work! I will try another one and will post if it worked with this one!

greetz

Were you able to play the file right through? The Insignia and other players have a problem and will stop the file playback at the 2GB mark even if the file is larger. Also, were you able to play subtitles in MKV files? For the life of me, I can't get the Curtis to do it....
post #13 of 43 Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Found the solution to not being able to play MKV subs to be to put the MKV and the subs (ripped with MKVmerge or other ripper) and put them into the same folder, much as you would play an avi file and it's subs. Now it works great!
post #14 of 43 Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Player doesn't like some kinds of Divx files. Tried a 5.03b Divx file and it wouldn't even see it. Also has the 2GB file size limitation on MKVs. This player definitely needs a firmware upgrade but I doubt that Curtis (as a company) is listening....
post #15 of 43 Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM

Purchased one today. Great VALUE. Plays mp3 and jpg files from USB. Plays some DiVX.....Nice video and audio quality.....Hope it lasts!
post #16 of 43 Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This unit is not the same as the 1026 sold in Europe. The model in the Shop Rite near me was TLBD02. I don't think it can be made region free. Don't know how good or bad it is but for $69 it might be worth a try for someone looking for an ultra budget Blu-Ray 2.0 unit.
post #17 of 43 Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

This unit is not the same as the 1026 sold in Europe. The model in the Shop Rite near me was TLBD02. I don't think it can be made region free. Don't know how good or bad it is but for $69 it might be worth a try for someone looking for an ultra budget Blu-Ray 2.0 unit.

I saw this for $69 when I was shopping and meant to post it. Was hoping someone took a flyer on it and could post some comments.
I would have myself but I already have a budget BD player and don't need another if it's not much better then my memorex.
post #18 of 43 Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Bought this unit (model # TLBD-02)..So far very impressed..Nice display. Profile 2.0 Believe supports 7.1 audio..Plays most Divx files..Usb plays .mpe and .jpg flawlessley (nice folders)....Great upconversion of standard DVD's...Only concern is no INFO..No warranty info...No US tech support...If it fies you ar SOL....
post #19 of 43 Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techowiz View Post

Bought this unit (model # TLBD-02)..So far very impressed..Nice display. Profile 2.0 Believe supports 7.1 audio..Plays most Divx files..Usb plays .mpe and .jpg flawlessley (nice folders)....Great upconversion of standard DVD's...Only concern is no INFO..No warranty info...No US tech support...If it fies you ar SOL....

Since the unit has an ethernet connection, perhaps it gets upgrades online? Does the menu have any homepage or other help info?
post #20 of 43 Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Definately capable of online updates (BD Live support)...No evidence of homepage info..Only homepage is European based....
post #21 of 43 Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Another nice feature. USB plays audio, photo AND video files! Incredible feature set for $69.99
post #22 of 43 Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Found a web site for them.

http://hitekerusa.com/index.html

Doesn't have the BD player listed as a product. Actually the products it shows are all clear products for use by inmates in prison. Logo is the same.

Does have a contact page though. Strange but the title bar when on the contact page shows as "Walkenhorst's". Very low rent site.
post #23 of 43 Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the players may be produced by the company that made Apex in the past. Doing a google search both names come up together. If this is true it is probably a very low end unit.
The menu system looks the the Momitsu, so it is probably made in the same factory. I am guessing that they are using a Mediatek chipset since there is no fan in the unit. I looked at one at my local Shop-Rite supermarket out of curiosity.
post #24 of 43 Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM

the Hitekerusa website is for a different company. Already inquired with them..They don't make DVD players...
post #25 of 43 Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I think the players may be produced by the company that made Apex in the past. Doing a google search both names come up together. If this is true it is probably a very low end unit.
The menu system looks the the Momitsu, so it is probably made in the same factory. I am guessing that they are using a Mediatek chipset since there is no fan in the unit. I looked at one at my local Shop-Rite supermarket out of curiosity.

Has anyone tried making it DVD region free?
post #26 of 43 Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM

www.Hiteker.eu I think is what you want.

Doing a whois of them reveals this as the registrant email address: info@ambiancetechnology.com/

Looks like they might be connected.
post #27 of 43 Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The EU version is a different model similar to the Momitsu.
post #28 of 43 Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM

This company appears to have no US presence or support for that matter....Virtually NO info on US model TLBD-02. No US phone number etc....
post #29 of 43 Old 02-19-2010, 04:26 AM

Here is the response I received from Amiancetechnology/Hiteker Europe:I’m sorry but the unit you bought is NOT an Hiteker Europe product !!

So we don’t know what type the player is, only that is not an Hiteker !!

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards

PCU Service

AT-Mobile / Ambiance Technology / Hiteker Repair Center

Dorskamp 51

3773 BP Barneveld

Tel 0342-712039
post #30 of 43 Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

This is getting very interesting. A friend of mine who wanted the lowest cost player possible bought one. (I tried to talk him into an Oppo by failed.) I checked it out and it seems to have the same menu as the Momitsu or Hiteker from Europe. It probably came from the same OEM manufacturer. You might want to call Shop Rite about the warranty and let them know that no information was in the box. The mystery continues. I tried to put in the Momitsu region free codes but it did not work. I don't know anything about the quality of the unit since I did not have much time to look at my friends player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Curtis

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page