Can you use wireless network adapters on Bluray players? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to pick up a Bluray player for my mother and I also want to hook her up with Netflix. If I grab a network adapter for it as well, should that work with the player for the online features? I know she wouldn't be interested in running cables around her living room so this would be the only way she could access these features.

I was looking at maybe getting the LG BD370 for her. Is there any way to tell if an adapter would work? What should I look for?
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Not really. Each player has its own drivers/formatting. You could get a wireless bridge/game adapter or just get a player with wifi LG390, Samsung 3600, Sony 560, etc.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router off of ebay for ~$30. Installed DD-WRT on it and it works great as a wireless bridge. I have my satco STB, BD player and Popcorn Hour plugged into it. Works great.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Not really. Each player has its own drivers/formatting. You could get a wireless bridge/game adapter or just get a player with wifi LG390, Samsung 3600, Sony 560, etc.

S~

Wha? First you say 'not really' and then suggest getting an adapter.
So it will work?

I can get a great deal on the LG370 that's why I was looking at that model, but thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The cheap USB wireless network adapters will not work.

However, the more expensive wireless game adapter / wireless bridge will work fine. (these are standalone devices with a network port you can plug any networked device into)

i.e. buy this one, it will do the job and is probably the best one out now:
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WGA600N

Its current $71 on amazon. That is about the norm for the type of device you'd need.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Cote View Post

Wha? First you say 'not really' and then suggest getting an adapter.
So it will work?

I can get a great deal on the LG370 that's why I was looking at that model, but thanks for the suggestions.

There's a difference between a game adapter and a plug-in network adapter. Game adapter is another name for a bridge.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

So, this item would work as well, correct?

Maybe I'm just unclear as to what adapters are or used for.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, this item would work as well, correct?

Yes, but that's a really high price, because it is a discontinued model.

Quote:

Maybe I'm just unclear as to what adapters are or used for.

The USB adapters that are being talked about are USB network cards for PCs. Blu-ray players don't have Windows and drivers, etc. to make them work.

What everyone is linking to is what is called a "bridge" (also called a "gaming adapter" since they're often used with Xbox'es and the like). They take the wired Ethernet and convert it to a Wi-Fi connection. You need one of these more advanced converters for any stand alone device like a game console, Blu-ray player, etc.

You can find wireless access points that can be set to bridge mode for pretty cheap. For example this $42 ASUS model can be set that way (ASUS calls it Ethernet Adapter mode).

If that seems a bit too advanced for you, then get the Linksys WGA600N that Ruined mentioned, it will "just work" out of the box.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Those USB adapters slipped my mind so I was having a hard time comprehending it. haha.

I remembered I actually have that Linksys device kicking around here somewhere, so I don't even need to purchase a new one. Thanks so much for all the help with this.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Linksys WET54G wireless bridge is another suitable choice. I've used one with Panasonic BD35.
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WET54G

Or, Linksys WET610N...
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WET610N

You can also use a Linksys WAP54g in bridge mode.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have had very good success with rock solid stability with a D-Link DAP-1522 wireless bridge paired with a DIR-825 router. These are dual band units that can keep a full bandwidth channel going betwen the router and bridge without other wireless traffic stealing bandwidth or causing the link to gear down to the lowest speed device connectd.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 AM

I'm in the same situation where I don't have a LAN drop in my living room, just received my Sony BDP-N460 and I want to hook it up to the internet for NF the only option is for a wireless internet connectivity...I currently use a Netgear Router WNR-3500 for my home network - can the NETGEAR 5-GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge (WNHDE111) be use instead of the Linksys WET610N? do you need two units? please explain on how to set it up (I'm lost on this one), additionallly I have a DISH duoDVR 722 receiver right beside my Blu-ray player that I would like to connect too and the Netgear AP/Bridge had an extra port to plug into it. Appreciate your help.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:42 AM

What about LAN powerline adapaters? Would they be faster than wifi?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

please explain on how to set it up

It depends on the specific unit you buy. I have a Linksys WET11, the unit prior to the two devices WaldorfSalad recommends. I connected it to any computer, a laptop in my case, and ran the included software. It sets up the device and connects to your existing wireless network after you supply any encryption details, WEP, WPA, Klingon, etc. Then you connect it to the BD player and go into its setup pages and ask it to connect to the internet, if it has not already. Enjoy.

As in all things networking, you want the fastest device you can afford. My WET11 is limited to 11 Mb/s which is just fine for firmware updates but is probably too slow for streaming, etc.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Jeez you "geniuses" have a way of over-complicating everything simple. This ain't complicated and let me paraphrase the suggested solution in an easier way:

- BUY A FRICKIN WIFI BRIDGE!

That's it. A wifi bridge is a device where one end plugs into the ethernet port of the blu ray player, the other end is an antenna that connects it to your wifi network. Its a small box. Buy atleast a 802.11G bridge, if not an N bridge if you have an N wifi network.

Yes its fast enough for Netflix, no you don't need Powerline networking (which is bogus anyway). 802.11n is faster than the SOURCE of your streaming input, your broadband internet. Your broadband is what? At most 7-10 Mbps? 802.11n does 5 times that standing on its head.

Buy a bridge, plug it in.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 PM

I used a Netgear WGPS606 to connect my BluRay and XBR9 TV to my home wireless network. I like it better than the Sony-recommended WET610N bridge because with the Netgear you can connect 4 devices, where the Linksys can only connect 1 device.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Thank you so much for the info, I was reading all of the posts and was about to go crazy over some of them. Thank you for clearing it up so easily.

Tami666
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Okay so I have a Vizio Bluray Player VBR133 and I had to get a Adapter so I got a Netgear WNCe2001...Can NOT get it to respond...Is it not strong enough?? So Frustrated..Help!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM

My grandmother bought a Philips wireless DVD player from radio shack . brought it home i tried to hook it up built guess what of course it did'nt have the wireless adapter with it . so i run all over town turns out cant get one that works and they don't sell them you have to order them . frigen rip offs man I am sick of this . anyway i went and bought her a Powerline network adapter from best buy and it worked like a charm . recently she had unplugged everything to redecorate and now the dang thing will not connect to the internet ? Ive tried all the common sense trouble shooting yes ive checked all settings and typed in the I.P. address manually nothing works ? wth is the issue now does anyone know ?

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd P3600 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player