LG BD270 owners thread. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just talked to LG support, they are working on a firmware fix for these players as of 4-25-10 and will take your information and mail the revision to you. They are aware of the non-play problem of these players and the playback of the movie Avatar.
Let the waiting begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Started about 50% through. Finally froze competely a number of minutes later and I couldn't get anything to respond without turning unplugging the player. So I went to LGs website and got the latest ROM update. That's all they list, no older versions. Apparently the new updates have the proper name convention so all you have to load them onto your usb drive. Updated, but I still have freezing. Go figure. I'll watch for the update. But its sure hard to tell when there website doesn't list release dates.
post #33 of 60 Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 PM

Well, I'm watching Avatar right now after it somehow loaded. It did come up with a message saying that the disc was manufactured with the latest Blu-ray code, etc. and that my machine probably needed a firmware update. But after that, Avatar did load and is playing. Haven't noticed any obvious problems yet, but we'll see. The BD-270 was bought around November/December (Frys sale) and generally seems to be ok although we had problems playing a couple of Barbie DVDs for my daughters. Other than that it seems ok. And it's had no updates whatsoever. But since the Barbie wreck and seeing these Avatar issues, I've been considering doing it.

Now, LG firmware updates still seem kinda problematic. From what I glean from the thread the trick is to download from the LG drivers/software page :

1) LG_BD_350.zip which extracts into 2 files :
a) LG_BD_350BA.ROM dated 10/20/2009 sized 35,730 kb
b) LG_BD_350BB.ROM dated 10/20/2009 sized 48,067 kb

2) LG_BD_350BB_ROM_v808024_AsCKRs_production.zip (this used to be the v808021 versions apparently, which I have from a previous download). The v808024 zip file extracts into :
a) LG_BD_350BB.ROM dated 04/07/2010 sized 48,071 kb
which is used to replace the
LG_BD_350BB.ROM dated 10/20/2009 sized 48,067 kb

3) Burn the 2 files :
a) LG_BD_350BA.ROM dated 10/20/2009 sized 35,730 kb
b) LG_BD_350BB.ROM dated 04/07/2010 sized 48,071 kb
to USB drive or CD/DVD to root.

4) Turn on unit, wait until Home Menu appears, load the disc, and
let the update process continue.

Does this make sense to everyone? And why doesn't the Software Upgrade Instruction sheet include any of this? There's no mention whatsoever or BA or BB ROM files or mounting an updated version of either.

Update : about 1 hr. after this was first posted :

Ok, the unit just hung after going half-way through Avatar; it's really hot underneath. Don't know if it's a heat problem or firmware.
post #34 of 60 Old 05-01-2010, 10:34 PM

BTW, for any manufacturer rep trolling these threads, the occasional problems we've had with playing Blu-ray discs really annoys my wife. She mutters, "why can't we just go back to regular DVD, what's wrong with that format, it plays everywhere, doesn't it?"

Now, I'm a techie, I build my own computer systems and have maintained mid-range systems in financial shops so I have the ability to rationalize away these problems. But really, she's not in my zone. I can explain how Blu-ray is better as a technical format and how it looks better and can play better but she can't accept that it's got bugs and needs updates. There's quite a few people out there who are in the same boat as her but don't have a live-in bit twiddler to help them out. They're not AVS forum regulars so they don't know stereo from DTS or whatever. They just want their unit to work properly and if something needs fixing and they can do it, to have a simple and easy way to do it. But what LG has on their website is not the way to provide customer support. Not only are the instructions insufficient but the files are not named in a user-friendly way. How the heck are you going to get enthusiastic buyers of your brand when they're going to hear from their friends about how hard it is to get their machines to run correctly? Now I also have a Samsung BDP-1500, it's not the latest or greatest but it does have a built in utility to let me update via web interface. Yes, the BD-270 doesn't have this and cost half as much but you can't tell me a 100mb TCPIP interface costs $100; you can buy nice cards for $10-20 retail and the software for TCPIP can be ripped directly from open-source. There's really no excuse for not having a cheap IP connection.

Ok, the unit just hung after going half-way through Avatar; it's really hot underneath. Don't know if it's a heat problem or firmware.
post #35 of 60 Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM

OK, updated the machine as I outlined in my first post which ran successfully from 8.08.17 to 8.08.24. Restarted the machine and restarted Avatar. Noticed that it was still slow and seem to stutter occasionally. The machine had been much cooler before I updated. According to my wife when it hung, the bottom of the machine was very hot and the top was very warm. So I raised the machine up by putting 2 old VHS tapes underneath; then I directed a small 6" fan blowing across the bottom to provide some airflow. This seemed to help as I noticed very warm air coming up from the small vents in the top. There's really only 1 small square opening at the bottom; it's maybe 1/8"-3/16" square so there's not much pressure going in but it's better than nothing. We managed to get through Avatar without it hanging after that. Now I need to look for a small hose and a fan unit to pump cooling air in....

Why can't designers/engineers figure out how to mount cooling blocks direct onto case covers/bottoms? It's not like this is some kind of new technology problem. Computer CPUs have had powered and unpowered cooling interfaces for decades; I've had to jury rig old DVD players with the same chip issue (no or very poor cooling systems) with cooling blocks that cost $5-15 retail in the store or even just hacked up my own from old CPU blocks and Arctic Silver. It's just amazing the lack of foresight some people have.

BTW, if anyone is interested Enzotech makes a number of nice little MOSFET sized copper cooling blocks. Very affordable and useful.
post #36 of 60 Old 05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work on that firmware update procedure!

I haven't played Avatar but noticed the heat issue the first time I played a disc. I may have had the unit beneath it on at the same time.

I placed the LG on 2 strips of closed cell foam (~1/2" height) to let some air beneath.

I downloaded the latest firmware but haven't installed it yet.
post #37 of 60 Old 05-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tessier View Post

Having problems playing Avatar Blu-Ray release with this BD270. Called LG and they checked my rev. Apperently not the latest and said they will mail me the update. I asked if I could download via the web and he said no. So apperently there is a newer update not being made available online.

UPDATE: I recieved two disks from LG. There is one labeled BD.8.16.059.A and another labeled HL06P. No instuctions so I put in the first one and sure enough, it was a higher rev than the on I downloaded from the LG site. The disk updated the player "SW Version" from BD.8.08.021 to BD.8.08.24B. I let it update then put in the second disk. It updated the player "Driver Version" from BD61540 to BD61560. The unit works much better now.

Edit: I posted the above before reading all of the posts made since my previous post. I wanted to explain what problems I was having before the update. Playing Avatar was hit and miss. It sometimes would not play and had to eject it and restart it over and over before it would play. Also, the analog audio out was flaky. That is, if there was a low volume portion on a moovie, the audio would shut off and when the audio level would go up, it would make a loud popping noise when it recovered. This would also happen when coming out of a pause if It was left in pause for more than 5 seconds. In addition to that, when playing avatar and inserting the disk there was a screen that would pop up asking if I wanted to resume playing where I left off but the function didn't work and would have to wait 5 minutes before it would time out and start playing.

With the latest updates of both the SW Version and the Driver Version, all of these problems are gone. My copy of Avatar will play every time inserted and when asked if I want to resume, I can select Yes or No and it will respond to that. As far as start time with the movie Avatar, it takes a longer to load than older Blu-ray disks but takes about the same amount of time to load Avatar in my Sony Blu-ray player and it has updated code in it.

As far as lock-ups after the Blu-ray disks would start playing, my player never had that issue. My player gets hot, much hotter than my Sony player but that doesn't seem to be causing any trouble as I don't have my player in an enclosed area and is on top so gets air via the vent holes. If I had it in an enclosed area, I would bet adding a little fan to the top vents would solve the problem. I know you shouldn't have to do that and it's irritating that these problems exist, it's just a suggestion. It's obvious LG didn't do any DVT testing on this unit design and it speaks volumes about thier lack of attention to reliability.

For the unofficial Samsung LNTxx71F FAQ, click here.
post #38 of 60 Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Just received my 2 disk update package from LG Electronics that I requested April 25th and applied both to player and all seems well.....for now.
post #39 of 60 Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 PM

The LG website does not have the driver update BD61560 on their support page for the BD270. Only the firmware update is listed. Is there any way for someone on the AVS forum to make an image of the driver disk for the BD270 available to download?

post #40 of 60 Old 05-17-2010, 03:53 PM

To lushiousfur and/or Tom Tessier:

Could you please upload somewhere the latest update that you received from LG?

In the bedroom I have a LG BD350 (the Latin American version of the US BD270), with the latest update: BD.8.16.059.A. And recently noted problems viewing Up (the pop-up menu pops-up randomly during playback), and Sherlock Holmes (the image freezes at very specific points during playback).

I tested both discs with my Panasonic DMP-BD60 and both movies played without problems.

The LG support website only has the firmware version BD.8.16.059.A (in a file named LG_BD_350BA.ROM, dated 10/20/2009), and since I'm in Mexico, it would be very difficult for me to receive an update disc by mail.

Thanks
post #41 of 60 Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM

Folks, I just got off the phone with support. The firmware they are putting on the CD is the same as the firmware posted here:

[cannot post link, it's listed under the BD350]

It's just listed under the BD350 for whatever reason.

If you put a disc in and the unit does nothing, (supposedly) it is already up to date.

I just hope this fixes the skipping/freezing/out-of-sync audio-video issues that I have been plagued with.

Update: 5/27/2010:
Skipping problems persist. This sucks!
post #42 of 60 Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

I just downloaded from LG the latest firmware version for my BD350 (the Latin American version of the BD270).

The firmware is dated July-2-2010 and updated my BD player from version BD.8.16.059.A to BD.8.16.064.A.

After the update I tested the BD of Harry Poter and the Half Blood Prince, that has problems of skipping/freezing in chapter 28, and sadly the problems persist!

The same disc plays perfectly fine on my Panasonic DMP-BD60.

When will LG release a good working firmware for this player?
post #43 of 60 Old 08-21-2010, 09:29 PM

hey i left the cd rack open wit a cd for about an hour and the took the dvd out and tried to close it but it would not come back on i played wit the plug and tried everything and it would not come back on any suggestions on what to do ?
heyandrew1@aol.com plz plz
post #44 of 60 Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Well, my BD-270 took a dump after about 10 mins of Clash of the Titans. Has anyone else seen this movie on the 270? It was working fine up to about the 10 minute mark and then hung with a blank screen. The panel display showed the movie as still playing and the clock timer was advancing as normal but no display activity whatsoever. Gettin tired of the problems of this unit; I suspect that I will get a PS3 for multimedia and BD playback as well as occasional gaming but really....suppose I should try the latest firmware/software updates.
post #45 of 60 Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM

My BD 270 Will not play newer Blu Ray disks. Old Blu Rays and DVDs play fine. My estimation is that the problem is with the newer encryption standards. They sent me two updates which had an older version than the label stated. unfortunately the don't have a clue how to put the latest version on their support site (REALLY BAD SUPPORT IN MY OPINION). After two months they finally got me a disk with the latest code on it. Unfortunately that does not help. After many hours with support they said that they would see if the could get an exception to their 90-day labor warranty if i could provide them with a receipt.

LG has a lemon. Keep calling until they fix their defect. Don't give up with them and let them know that this is a common problem.
post #46 of 60 Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Like many of you I have had many problems with this blu ray player. I have updated to the latest firmware and still had trouble with the player accepting blu ray titles such as avatar. So I started experimenting with the player and found that having an empty memory stick in the usb port somehow made the player accept the blu ray disc. The usb memory stick I'm using is a SanDisk cruzer 1GB formatted to fat32. So from now on I am just leaving memory stick in the player. Maybe someone else replicate my experience. Good Luck!

post #47 of 60 Old 12-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Had this player for a year now, and had my first freeze up about a week ago during A Christmas Carol. Just restarted the player and it worked fine the second time.

Now, a new problem has surfaced. The player won't play 7.1 HD audio tracks. It sounds like some horrible plane crash is coming through my speakers instead. It's happened on Toy Story 3 and Fantasia. Anyone else experience the same problem?
post #48 of 60 Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Just had the same problem with my Season 8 of "24" discs, which were released in Dec 2010. Just got off the phone with LG. They apparently have a brand new firmware update that was released in Dec, but they have not posted it on their support site yet. They will snail mail it to you if you call their support line. Also, they provided the same option of inserting a blank flash drive into the player to help. Just tried it, and 24 is up and running! Finally, they also suggested to change the audio settings to 5.1 if the above does not work.
post #49 of 60 Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM

Friday night tried watching Predators, disc started showed all other movie previews, then got to actual movie. Screen said I needed latest firmware up date, wich I put in last month. So I tried the empty thumb drive technique and it worked played movie. Then watched Inception yesterday, movie did have few spots were it paused for a second or two then started playing. I was at BestBuy saturday asking about newe players, salesman said they all have issues about playing blu ray disc, no matter what brand or type.
post #50 of 60 Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 PM

Today LG uploaded a new firmware for this player. It's version 8.16.073.A and I just updated my BD350 (Latin American model of the BD270) with it.

It looks like this version fixes the problem that I had with many Fox (Alien Anthology, The A-Team) and Disney (Up, Cars, Toy Story 3) titles, where the scene marker appears ramdomly in the screen during the movie. Just yesterday I had to stop watching The A-Team because this problem. Today, after updating the player, the movie is playing fine and the scene marker just appears when I pause the movie.

Tomorrow I will test Iron Man 2. That's another BD that caused problems with this player. In particular, when trying to watch the extras, the player would just lock up and shut off by itself!
post #51 of 60 Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

Today LG uploaded a new firmware for this player. It's version 8.16.073.A and I just updated my BD350 (Latin American model of the BD270) with it.

It looks like this version fixes the problem that I had with many Fox (Alien Anthology, The A-Team) and Disney (Up, Cars, Toy Story 3) titles, where the scene marker appears ramdomly in the screen during the movie. Just yesterday I had to stop watching The A-Team because this problem. Today, after updating the player, the movie is playing fine and the scene marker just appears when I pause the movie.

Tomorrow I will test Iron Man 2. That's another BD that caused problems with this player. In particular, when trying to watch the extras, the player would just lock up and shut off by itself!

This is good to read. The 370/390 players got fixed a couple of weeks ago. Now the 270s got fixed. Hopefully the 570s get fixes shortly.
post #52 of 60 Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM

WeaponX Alpha,

It is exciting to hear that they have finally fixed this problem. You say they have uploaded it. Can you give us a link to it? You know as well as anyone who has read this thread that it is all but impossible to find the newest version / dates for any of their updates listed at the two links below.

[ can't post URLs because I haven't amassed 3 posts ]

Can you give us a direct link to the miracle cure?
post #53 of 60 Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio3deez View Post

WeaponX Alpha,

It is exciting to hear that they have finally fixed this problem. You say they have uploaded it. Can you give us a link to it? You know as well as anyone who has read this thread that it is all but impossible to find the newest version / dates for any of their updates listed at the two links below.

[ can't post URLs because I haven't amassed 3 posts ]

Can you give us a direct link to the miracle cure?

I will gladly post them tomorrow. I'm reading your post on my iPod and don't have the bookmark to the file right now.
post #54 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM

The Samsung site won't allow a direct link to the file. Here's the link to the support page for the BD270/BD350 and from there I can tell you where to look for the updated firmware:

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...oduct-profile#

From the page linked above, navigate to the "Drivers & Software" tab, when the tab opens, the updated firmware is labeled "Firmware update for BD350/ BD270 (Ver :BD.8.16.073.A / Date : 2011.2.8)" and there you can find the link to the file named "LG_BD_350.zip", with a 84,102K size.

I hope this helps.
post #55 of 60 Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Has anyone experienced any problems with playing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on the 270? For me, I put in a brand-new BD disc fresh out of the box and it 'error' messages out. Did the same with a BD version of Shark vs. Octopus. However, it will play standard dvd fine and it appears now as the BD function of the player is out of action. Everytime I put a BD disc (even one that was fine before) it rattles when it tries to read it and then, either hangs or 'error' messages out. Sometimes it will say check disc, even if the disc is brand new or is clean. I'm just about to give up on this piece of junk. I know this model is kind of low-end but it's just pointless for me to keep on loading f/w upgrades which don't have much in the way of effectiveness.
post #56 of 60 Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM

Well I followed the instructions but the firmware upgrade did not fix the problem. Blu-ray movies no longer play on my blu-ray player.

post #57 of 60 Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 AM

I've played less than 20 Blu-Rays on my BD270 and it now won't play discs that it used to play fine before. I've updated the firmware to (BD.8.16.074 July 11, 2011) tonight and problem still exists. I had both files on a USB drive but the update screen did not show the driver version to be updated. It only showed the SW version on the option for update.

I was watching BReaking Bad season 2 Blu-Ray Disc 1 and it played fine. Next day I tried to watch the same disc and it wont read watsoever. It just goes thru the start up motions but wont read disc and powers off on its own. I thought the unit crapped out on me after extremely minimal use but threw in a DVD & it worked. I then tried a completely different Blu-Ray disc and it started up and played fine. So I optimisticly popped in the Breaking Bad disc again and it still can't get started. What gives?!! It played fine before? The disc is pristine so it's not the surface being unreadable. Tried about 8 times! I remember I was having the same issue on the last Blu-Ray disc of Battlestar Galactica final season but it eventually played.

I don't know if I properly flashed the firmware or am lacking the driver update. After seeing all the 60 or so negative reviews on Amazon for the LG BD270 I think that LG has a lemon on its hands and won't take resonsibility or simply help BD270 consumers in good faith. I'm not sending it in and giving LG more of my money because it's not fair and I no longer have confidence in LG. So NO MORE LG products FOR ME!!
post #58 of 60 Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is the best place to submit this post; I'm new to this forum so forgive me if bumping an old thread if there's somewhere more applicable to ask this:

I've just been given the Star Wars: The Complete Saga blu-ray as a gift and started watching from EP1 - TPM. It played for about an hour, then froze and would not play at all (even from the start). After some serious searching around I came to the conclusion that it was related to newer DRM on the discs and my player required a firmware update. So, I visited the LG support site and downloaded the latest firmware:
Firmware update for BD270/BD350 (Ver:BD.8.08.031.B/Date:2011.09.05)

This appeared to solve my problem and EP's I-II-III played perfectly fine.
However, when I try to play EP IV it freezes after about 5 minutes.

I am assuming that the version of DRM on the original trilogy is probably different from the prequel trilogy. I would like to know if someone can confirm that they have been having similar issues trying to watch the Star Wars blu-ray's on LG's BD270/350 machines?

Does anyone have any knowledge of a pending firmware update from LG to solve this issue? Is it time I bought a new blu-ray player??

If there are other threads on this forum related to LG BD270/350 firmware issues and/or Star Wars blu-ray playback issues, then please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
post #59 of 60 Old 12-27-2011, 04:28 AM

I don't suppose its any help to you but I'm having the exact same problem with my BD 350.

It froze at the start of the pod racing scene - I upgraded the software and after some fiddling about and restarting it continued to the end. Episode II & II palyed concurrently with no problem so I went to bed at 04:00.

Just got up and put in Episode IV and it froze in the opening scene after only a few minutes play !

Back to the drawing board - or better still - bin the LG and buy something which will work.

Anyone have any suggestions on a "trouble free" brand which plays everything ?
post #60 of 60 Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM

I finally gave up on this hunk of junk this past Christmas, swapping it out for a nice Samsung BD-C5500C player with built in wifi so I don't have to worry about updating (though I did have to purchase a separate wifi antenna for the back of the unit). I could never get to customer support at LG. All phones led me to dead ends, I couldn't use their e-mail system because it is broken internally. It was more frustration than it was worth. As it is now, I love my Samsung BD-C5500C player and wouldn't trade it for the world. I won't be purchasing any more LG products in the future.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd270 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd270 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page