Insignia NS-WBRDVD: owner's master discussion thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up the Insignia NS-WBRDVD player from BB last night. I got it for the built-in wi-fi, but I have two problems so far:

1. Won't handshake through an HDMI switcher. I'm using the monoprice 1.3a 4x1 switcher with 3' monoprice going in all inputs and a 25' going out. Other sources (xbox 360 and dish network DVR) both work fine in this config, but not the insignia. Just using the 25' cable direct, the player works fine. Is it total length? the switcher?, the player? Do I go out and buy another 25 footer for a dedicated home run?

2. Fail Blacker than Black (BTB) test using a DVD Thx test disc (star wars ep II). Fails over HDMI and Component. This could be a show-stopper.

I would appreciate if anyone else has encountered these issues on this player sharing their experiences.

Thanks,
Rick

Bimmerboy750

The Theorem theorem: If if, Then then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM

I picked up this player yesterday also. I'm running it through a Psyclone HDMI switcher and it seems to work just fine. I have had issues a couple of times with my WDTV HD not working with it but I find that if I power cycle the switch it comes back. I figure its like anything that is slightly complex, like the handshaking. It will get dropped at times. A power cycle brings it back every time though. Haven't had the Blue Ray player long enough to know if it will do the same thing. (I have my Dish Network VIP-622 and the Insignia Blue Ray and the WDTV HD going through 3 of the 4 ports on the Psyclone.

So far I really like its performance. I signed up for a Netflix streaming account and am pleased with its performance too.

Good luck.

Mike
post #3 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

mike1002: how long's your total cable run (in+out)?

Bimmerboy750

post #4 of 70 Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 AM

I had the same problem with a monoprice 1X4 HDMI switcher that separates audio out. Insignia wouldn't sinc audio or video with the switcher. Had it switched with a HDDVD which worked without issue. My solution was to switch the HD with my HDDVR and hook the Insignia up direct. Worked no problem. Apparently BD and switchers is hit and miss. Hope this helps.

Dave
post #5 of 70 Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Bimmerboy:

Sorry for the delay in answering. Work has been busy recently.

Anyway, the total run is 22 feet. I have an 8 ft hdmi cable from the switch to the Blue-Ray and a 6 ft run from the switch to my Denon AVR. The run from the Denon to the TV is another 8 ft.

Hope this is a worthwhile datapoint.

Mike
post #6 of 70 Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 2' 24 AWG cable (replacing a 4' 28 AWG) and another 25' home run on order. At least going direct will work.

Bimmerboy750

post #7 of 70 Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM

I have read differing things, does the insignia do this? Thanks
post #8 of 70 Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derreckla View Post

I have read differing things, does the insignia do this? Thanks

From what I have read the wireless version does.

Dave
post #9 of 70 Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

This player lost audio sync when watching Terminator Salvation. I found that by toggling thru the video settings while paused would re-sync the audio. happened twice during the movie. I'm still thinking about returning this.

Bimmerboy750

post #10 of 70 Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Are you still using the switcher? If so that might be your problem. I have been using this player without the switcher for over a month now with not a single issue. OTOH it might just be a defective unit.

Dave
post #11 of 70 Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not running it through the switcher. i ran a 2nd cable to another hdmi input on the display.

Bimmerboy750

post #12 of 70 Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 AM

Might want to exchange or try a different brand. Does it do it without the switcher in the chain?

Dave
post #13 of 70 Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

The switcher cannot be in the chain at all. no signal at all with the switcher in place. The run goes straight from player to display.

Bimmerboy750

post #14 of 70 Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 AM

has anyone had any problems playing a bd while using the movie IQ feature as found on sony discs,

I recently watched angels and Demons and wanted to check out the movie IQ feature. this features utilizes BDLive and my unit connected to bdlive, downloaded the file to use and i would even get the glowing light, that when that shibes you hit enter and the feature displays. Though when i hit enter nothing would happen, in fact i couldnt even select anything with the pop up menu and couldnt even save a book mark. But when i play the movie without the movie IQ feature the popup menu works and i can make bookmarks.

My player is hooked up to my linksys router vie ethernet cable, not wireless, i have a 2gb usb drive plugged in, bd live works on most other discs without problem.

Has anyone been able to get this feature to wokr
post #15 of 70 Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 AM

This seems to be the official thread for this player now so I'll ask this here. Last night watching Public Enemies BD the player lost network connection and flashed a warning on the screen during the movie and then a few seconds later flashed a connected warning. This happened a couple of times. Is there a way to keep the player from warning you during a movie?

Also I tried to check for firmware update and the player wouldn't highlight the check. Is it required to have a usb drive connected to do this? Is there a new firmware update out since Nov 09? Anyone using it?

Dave
post #16 of 70 Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

There is a new firmware update dated 02/15/10. My player wouldn't let me download it so I downloaded it to a thumbdrive and installed it through USB. My player is connected but it also says there is a problem with the connection. It shows all zeros for the ip addresses. I connected by pressing the button on my Netgear wireless router so it says connected, but so far can't do anything. Don't have Netflix so there probably isn't much to do.

Dave
post #17 of 70 Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

The latest firmware update may have cured my sync issue. I played Terminator twice since all the way through and the audio was perfectly in sync.

Bimmerboy750

post #18 of 70 Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Good to hear.

Dave
post #19 of 70 Old 04-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Pick this up at BB a few days ago for only $99.99! Ok, it was on open-box item, but nothing was missing, the chassis looked brand new, and it was only one hundred frickin' dollars!!! Not bad for a bd player w/built-in wifi (I saw another open-box at another BB for $130).

Setup was a breeze and I was up and running with Netflix streaming no problem. So far, I tested it out with only one blu-ray movie (X-Files: Fight the Future) and everything worked great and looked great.

At this point I'm just ecstatic I was able to find a bd player for $100, let alone one with built-in wifi!
post #20 of 70 Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Welcome aboard. We are really happy with ours.

Dave
post #21 of 70 Old 04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've been thinking of buying this for streaming Netflix. Does it work well doing this wirelessly? How often does this player go on sale? Thanks.
post #22 of 70 Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Ive had mine for about six months for use in the bedroom and it works just fine....wireless too. It isnt the fastest in terms of load time, but I wouldnt say that slow either.
post #23 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM

I was wondering if the NS-WBRDVD can stream moives from PC or not? Thanks in advance
post #24 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

I have owned and enjoyed my NS-WBRDVD for a few months.everything worked great.netflix worked terrific.must have watched 100 movies without any problems..I downloaded the new firmware that was notified on the insignia first screen on start up..it came out 5/14/10..now my player flickers and the audio is on and off.mostly off.customer service,although friendly offered no help..I bought this unit as a refurb on overstock.com auction site..due to that,I can't return it to BB..no sales receipt..do not download new firmware..it adds Pandora to the player for free,which sounded good,but,now I need to buy a new one.Anyone with a solution,please let me know...thanks Bugsyc
post #25 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
First check your settings. The new firmware resets everything to defaults. So if you had certain audio and display settings, you'll have to fix those. The flicker sounds like a resolution or 24fps incompatibility. Audio problems could be due to the wrong PCM rate.

If that doesn't do it, and you can find the previous firmware, you can reload it via USB or disc. I've saved every version for the BRDVD3, but not the WBRDVD. I bet someone else has though. I've upgraded/downgraded several times without issue.
post #26 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibanrhino View Post

I was wondering if the NS-WBRDVD can stream moives from PC or not? Thanks in advance

No, but some LG's do. Aside from netflix and discs, Insignia can only stream movie files from flash drives / hard drives via USB, not over your network.
post #27 of 70 Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 AM

Anyone know what the latest firmware version is? One of my two players took a firmware update yesterday. I thought it was up to date, but the downstairs player is not taking one. Version 29 I believe. Is it possible the upstairs player missed this update earlier?

Dave
post #28 of 70 Old 06-05-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently encountered a problem with playing Saving Private Ryan and War of the Worlds, both Paramount/Dreamworks movies.
They load to the disc menu but when you press play the movies play for a certain amount of time and then skip to the end of the disc and show the Dreamworks/Amblin logos. The skip is always at the same time and has occured on several of the same discs that have been exchanged. I can go to scenes-select chapter 2 and "rewind" to near the skip ahead time and the disc plays fine to the end.
Other Paramount/Dreamworks discs play fine.
SPR played fine on the player prior to the firmware upgrade. Too bad it had the sync issue.
Reported to Insignia yesterday but of course they said they had no reports of this issue and did not recommend rolling back the firmware. The problem is being submitted to technical.
post #29 of 70 Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsyc View Post

I have owned and enjoyed my NS-WBRDVD for a few months.everything worked great.netflix worked terrific.must have watched 100 movies without any problems..I downloaded the new firmware that was notified on the insignia first screen on start up..it came out 5/14/10..now my player flickers and the audio is on and off.mostly off.customer service,although friendly offered no help..I bought this unit as a refurb on overstock.com auction site..due to that,I can't return it to BB..no sales receipt..do not download new firmware..it adds Pandora to the player for free,which sounded good,but,now I need to buy a new one.Anyone with a solution,please let me know...thanks Bugsyc

to update on this, I gave up on insignia..because I bought it on Overstock auction site I could not receive free service..I bought a new sony n460 for $138 at 6th ave electronics and it is far better..netflix plus about 10 other streaming apps..utube,slacker,soccer and a bunch of others....to you insignia fans..good luck..Best Buy is doo doo
post #30 of 70 Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Anyone else get a reboot while using this player? I have been streaming quite a bit and overall I'm impressed with the Netflix image (compared to a few other players) however once the player began playing one episode of The Tudors... video froze, audio keep going for a few seconds and then it rebooted itself finally returning to the main menu.

Earlier (different session) I saw where it lost connection to the stream (for one reason or another) and gracefully reconnected. It reported such on the screen and even if the stream is dropped it shouldn't reboot the device. So far it has only happened once...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Insignia Ns Wbrdvd Connected Blu Ray Player 1080p
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page