Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

would you know if Oppo is releasing a newer version any time soon ?

i know this has been out for less then a year i think - but would hate to buy this one now and then a newer version comes out -

Someone in the -83 thread claimed OPPO told him a 3D player will appear 6 to 12 months from now.

I wouldn't wait. These things always take longer than you expect.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Someone in the -83 thread claimed OPPO told him a 3D player will appear 6 to 12 months from now.

I wouldn't wait. These things always take longer than you expect.

-Bill

i am not too worried about having 3D - i have a KRP 500M - and theres no way i am getting rid of that for any 3D tv now - i think 3D is pretty cool - and if i needed a TV today - i would be looking at them - and it would be the Panny 3D -

so having a 3D player would do nothing for me - i would have to upgrade my whole setup - with a new TV - new AVR - new player -etc. - thats too much

if it were only the player and AVR - maybe since i had mines for 3 years - but sounds excellent - cant complain --

ok thanks for the information - i am going to order it direct from Oppo
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM

ok i finally decided on the bd 80 -- i just ordered it from Oppo -

i post back once i get it going and test it - i needed a new toy to play with

thanks for the help - info to decide -
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

ok i finally decided on the bd 80 -- i just ordered it from Oppo -

i post back once i get it going and test it - i needed a new toy to play with

thanks for the help - info to decide -

good choice! you'll be pleased.

BTW I have a Marantz 7002 as well(with firmware upgrade) and I let it do the processing. it sounds good but I admit I've never tried letting the Oppo do the decode work.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

For the records, my AVR is a Denon 2809CI and I always prefer the Oppo to do the decoding; it's always better to my ears (and the blue HD light in the AVR never turns on, but I still have 100% lossless HD audio though)

Avliner,

So you prefer the analog in the Oppo as opposed to the DACs in your Denon as calibrated by Audyssey MultiEQ XT?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Avliner,

So you prefer the analog in the Oppo as opposed to the DACs in your Denon as calibrated by Audyssey MultiEQ XT?

Does his AVR not process incoming multichannel LPCM?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Bakerwi,

I don't use analog at all, its HDMI all the way thru and I prefer having the Oppo doing the decoding rather than sending the bitstream to the 2809.
It's clearly better to me

I do the same with the 983, but with the 981 I get better results sending bitstream to the AVR and that means the audio hardware implementation is not on par with the 983 & the -80, though

HD,

if I were you, I'd try out a listen with the Oppo internally decoding... You may experience something better to your ears though

RD,

it certainly does!

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

good choice! you'll be pleased.

BTW I have a Marantz 7002 as well(with firmware upgrade) and I let it do the processing. it sounds good but I admit I've never tried letting the Oppo do the decode work.

let me ask you - when you watch blu rays with DTS MA or TRUE HD - at night with low volume - letting your 7002 do the decoding -

do you hear the center dialogue clear ? i find it hard to make out what they are saying - sometimes they whisper and cant make it out at all -

do you notice that at all ? i am going to see if i let the bd 80 decode and send it to my AVR so i can use the EQ settings - that helps - but having the AVR decode - cant use the EQ -

if you get a chance next time - post back if you are ok and hear clear or have the same issue

thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:

let me ask you - when you watch blu rays with DTS MA or TRUE HD - at night with low volume - letting your 7002 do the decoding -

do you hear the center dialogue clear ? i find it hard to make out what they are saying - sometimes they whisper and cant make it out at all

Have you tried using Dynamic Range Compression?

Let the BDP-80 decode, and turn on Dynamic Range Compression (remember to turn it back off when you're watching a film at normal or high volume).
Old 08-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Since I got the BDP-80 a few months ago it had failed to play only one BD, a Korean movie called Tidal Wave. I saw on another forum that's the fault of the disk itself. Last night, though, it choked on Transporter 3, a much more mainstream release. Got pixillated and unplayable about 15 minutes in. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post

Since I got the BDP-80 a few months ago it had failed to play only one BD, a Korean movie called Tidal Wave. I saw on another forum that's the fault of the disk itself. Last night, though, it choked on Transporter 3, a much more mainstream release. Got pixillated and unplayable about 15 minutes in. Has anyone else had this problem?

You can edit post titles by doing "go advanced" during editing.

I have not heard of those symptoms; it actually sounds like a flawed disc. This is the recommended fixup procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

If that does not help I would again suspect the disc. Can you try it on a different player?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvestergaard View Post

Have you tried using Dynamic Range Compression?

Let the BDP-80 decode, and turn on Dynamic Range Compression (remember to turn it back off when you're watching a film at normal or high volume).

yes i have with my current player - its set to on - now my current player does not decode - it sends it out to my AVR to decode - not sure if DRC works because of that - i would think it should or else why add in the player settings if the player donst decode ?

my unit is set to arrive next week on Thursday - i will get it hooked up over the weekend for sure and hope i have a blu ray to test it on - i figure it can only be better than what i have now - plus i have SACD in one unit - and if it helps with the dialogue - that would be great - i am not holding my breath over that - and i love my AVR so i dont want to replace that -
Old 08-14-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Expresso,

regarding to the center channel issue, what you can do is to raise some dB's on the center channel and you'll be fine.

Regards, Chuck
Old 08-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Expresso,

regarding to the center channel issue, what you can do is to raise some dB's on the center channel and you'll be fine.

i have tried that in the past - it wasnt enough to make it clear at low volume night time movie watching -

i have re run the Setup again - and the settings are different - speaker levels etc. - this time - it put the center at +1db -- which i though was low - so i raised it to i think +6db to be safe -

i havnt yet tried a blu ray since then - i think the next blu ray i get from netflix would be sometime next week - i wont even bother with playing it till i get the bd 80 installed - and then see how it sounds letting my AVR do the decode at first - and then switch to the bd 80 doing the decode etc.

i guess i have to play around and see which is best - i can still raise the center levels up to +12 db - but if listening to music from all speakers - the center will sound much louder -

i will do it if thats the only way around it - then i would have to lower the center whenever i listen to music from it - i dont normally - so it shouldnt be a huge issue - still its a pain - but thats my last resort - i am hoping the bd 80 and a few adjustments will do it -
Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Bakerwi,
I don't use analog at all, its HDMI all the way thru and I prefer having the Oppo doing the decoding rather than sending the bitstream to the 2809.
It's clearly better to me ...

Hi av. BTW, both Denon and Oppo recommend bitstreaming to a capable AVR such as yours. I also have the Denon 2809, paired to a BDP-83. I have done comparisons of bitstream vs PCM on HiDef Codecs and I hear no difference whatsoever. This is consistent with what has been reported by many folks with various combos of BRP's and AVR's. I cannot account for why you hear such a significant audible difference if you are careful to level match the A/B.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I have not heard of those symptoms; it actually sounds like a flawed disc. This is the recommended fixup procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

If that does not help I would again suspect the disc. Can you try it on a different player?

Well, color me chagrined. The BD was from Netflix and it was filthy. Cleaned it and it appears to work fine.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Som,

yeah, I hear your comments though, but have done several comparisons and having the decoding done in the player always sounds better to me...
BTW, it's not a huge difference though, but audible indeed.

As to why they both recommend bitstreaming, I have no idea at all; maybe due to the fact that the new AVR's also decode the HD codecs though.

Oh, and my system is level matched, BTW.

There are 2 BD concerts that I clearly note the difference between LPCM and DTS/Dolby HD:

* Celine Dion - A New Day and
* Roy Orbison - A Black & White Night.

On DVD I can mention Eagles - Farewell Tour I - Live in Melbourne

Regards, Chuck
Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

Hi Som,

yeah, I hear your comments though, but have done several comparisons and having the decoding done in the player always sounds better to me...
BTW, it's not a huge difference though, but audible indeed.

As to why they both recommend bitstreaming, I have no idea at all; maybe due to the fact that the new AVR's also decode the HD codecs though.

Oh, and my system is level matched, BTW.

There are 2 BD concerts that I clearly note the difference between LPCM and DTS/Dolby HD:

* Roy Orbison - A Black & White Night.

On DVD I can mention Eagles - Farewell Tour I - Live in Melbourne

I think it needs to be said that this is pretty erroneous. There's no "decoding" going on, it a simple unpacking process that does not involve any steps which could influence quality at all. If you hear a difference it's due to 2 things: levels and differences in the way your AVR handles LPCM vs bitstream. Pretty much all AVRs will output slightly different master levels on LPCM vs bitstream. Almost everyone will perceive slightly "better" sound with very small increases in level. AVRs also are known to handle LPCM differently with respect to processing. For example, some cannot apply Audyssey to 5.1 LPCM with sample rates over 48K. So while you may very well perceive a difference between decoding in player vs AVR, it has nothing to do with any inherent difference in audio quality of one vs the other. Changing out your AVR may well produce the opposite perception.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Rgrimes,

think it's just a matter of wording between decoding and unpacking, though.
Considering that I don't have another AVR to cross-check things out, I'll be letting the Oppo doing the "unpacking", which, to my ears, it's always better than sending the bitstream to the AVR.

Maybe there's gotta be something else I need to check though.

As I said before, I also have a 981HD player and with this player it's the other way'round; there is, the AVR does a better unpacking job... go figure.

Regards, Chuck
Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 267
The reference to "unpacking" was relevant only to HD audio on BD discs. The process is the same wherever it's done and the results are identical LPCM. Bit-for-bit identical. The same may not be true for decoding lossy codecs, but evidence is slim that it's not.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM

I've read a lot of the thread but couldn't really find an answer. What is the best DIY kit to get my BDP-80 region free, there are so many out there.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic42 View Post

I've read a lot of the thread but couldn't really find an answer. What is the best DIY kit to get my BDP-80 region free, there are so many out there.

Thanks for your help

People speak well of this site: http://www.bluraychip.dk/

-Bill

Old 08-15-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

...Oh, and my system is level matched, BTW.
* Roy Orbison - A Black & White Night...

Great choice, I love that Orbison disc. So, I popped it in and had another listen, at about -25dB MV with Audyssey on & DEQ on, then Audyssey on & DEQ off. I compared bitstream vs PCM by switching in the Oppo tools menu after setting a 10sec familiar passage to repeat. PCM does indeed sound slightly but distinctly better, even when DEQ is on.

But by my measurements, PCM is about 1.5dB louder. Now, if there is a way in the Oppo or the Denon to level match those 2 types formats over a single HDMI cable into a single input I am not aware of it. So this does not facilitate a fair, level-matched A/B test as I have to tap the remote vol control a few times with each switch to adjust the MV. Anyway, to me, both sound equally fantastic once level-matched. YMMV.

rd, I do not think there is an Audyssey processing issue in play here in regards to PCM vs bitstream. B&W Nights is a 48kHz disc, but I also tested a 96kHz with the same results and the Denon 2809 has no problem with maintaining full Audyssey processing with either disc in either case.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi SoM,

glad you had the very same impressions as mine, though.
Believe it isn't just a matter of higher SPL on LPCM mode though, but the sound itself is better, or "cleaner".

I also have Audyssey & DEQ on all the time, but even with both off, LPCM sounds better to my, perhaps, uneducated ears .
Oh, BTW, yesterday evening I popped in B&W NIghts and Eagles - FT I, with very same results though (LPCM being better...).

Bottom line: my vote goes to... LPCM mode

Regards, Chuck
Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM

A quick question, I'm looking at the Oppo mainly for the subtitle shift and fast load features. I'm going 2.35:1 using zoom on my PJ, and I think the Oppo will do a much better job than my Sony 350. Since my PJ has the Reon-VX processor I'm thinking the BDP-80 set to source direct will do everything I need, right? No need to go for the more expensive BDP-83, or am I missing something?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

A quick question, I'm looking at the Oppo mainly for the subtitle shift and fast load features. I'm going 2.35:1 using zoom on my PJ, and I think the Oppo will do a much better job than my Sony 350. Since my PJ has the Reon-VX processor I'm thinking the BDP-80 set to source direct will do everything I need, right? No need to go for the more expensive BDP-83, or am I missing something?

The BDP-80 and BDP-83 will have the same video performance when using Source Direct.

The -83 will zoom BR java titles which the -80 will not, but that is not a factor when using Source Direct -- no zoom by definition. If zooming at the projector you can of course do what you want.

The -83 has upgraded analog audio; the two players should be the same for digital audio.

-Bill

Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree, if you're going to use it primarely for a transport and are not into analog audio, the BDP-80 is all you need, a great player, better than average in total performance (IMO).
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic42 View Post

I agree, if you're going to use it primarely for a transport and are not into analog audio, the BDP-80 is all you need, a great player, better than average in total performance (IMO).

What about the performance when using the multichannel analog outputs to an old receiver without HDMI?

I'm asking because I have a PS3 connected in SPDIF to my Denon AVR-3803, of course I can't listen to the lossless tracks.

I was questionning myself if it would be a nice upgrade to get the Oppo and use it with the analog outputs, this way I would be able to listen to the lossless tracks.

With SPDIF, I only get 640kbps for True HD tracks. For DTS, it's 1.5mbps which is a great improvement over True HD.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle View Post

What about the performance when using the multichannel analog outputs to an old receiver without HDMI?

I'm asking because I have a PS3 connected in SPDIF to my Denon AVR-3803, of course I can't listen to the lossless tracks.

I was questionning myself if it would be a nice upgrade to get the Oppo and use it with the analog outputs, this way I would be able to listen to the lossless tracks.

With SPDIF, I only get 640kbps for True HD tracks. For DTS, it's 1.5mbps which is a great improvement over True HD.

It's hard to say how much of an improvement you might hear, if any. Those high-bitrate lossy tracks sound a lot better than standard DVDs. And while you'd be getting lossless audio from the Oppo, you'd be giving up whatever digital processing your Denon is contributing to the sound of your system, and trading it for the rather rudimentary versions of bass management and speeaker timing offered by the Oppo.

On my system, for example, it's important that I be able to set a different crossover frequency for the center channel than for the mains and surrounds, and yet a different one for the rear surrounds. The Oppo only offers one freq for all speakers. Also on my system I have Audyssey room correction, which contributes signivicantly, but would be bypassed using analog inputs.

There are other factors to consider, such as whether you might hear a difference between the DACs in each device, and how revealing your speakers are of very subtle characteristics in the sound.

Personally, I'd save my money towards an AVR upgrade if I already had a BD player. Modern AVRs with HDMI and room correction really can make a bigger difference than the subtle one between lossless/analog and high-bitrate lossy in many situations.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

It's hard to say how much of an improvement you might hear, if any. Those high-bitrate lossy tracks sound a lot better than standard DVDs. And while you'd be getting lossless audio from the Oppo, you'd be giving up whatever digital processing your Denon is contributing to the sound of your system, and trading it for the rather rudimentary versions of bass management and speeaker timing offered by the Oppo.

On my system, for example, it's important that I be able to set a different crossover frequency for the center channel than for the mains and surrounds, and yet a different one for the rear surrounds. The Oppo only offers one freq for all speakers. Also on my system I have Audyssey room correction, which contributes signivicantly, but would be bypassed using analog inputs.

There are other factors to consider, such as whether you might hear a difference between the DACs in each device, and how revealing your speakers are of very subtle characteristics in the sound.

Personally, I'd save my money towards an AVR upgrade if I already had a BD player. Modern AVRs with HDMI and room correction really can make a bigger difference than the subtle one between lossless/analog and high-bitrate lossy in many situations.

thanks for the explanation, and this is exactly what I thought.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player