Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3937 Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, hopefully this will be a quick question.

Right now I have a great 2.0 sound system that utilizes an amp (NAD 325BEE) that is only capable of utilizing speaker wire for output and analog for input.

So obviously I don't have an HDMI in or out of the thing. That's making me greatly worry that I have to spend another couple hundred on getting a receiver just for its HDMI capabilities.

But I'm wondering; is there a way to have the BDP-80's HDMI output only video (straight to the TV), and then have the sound go through the analog audio outputs to the NAD amp and then out from the speakers?

Many thanks for those who know what the answer is.

EDIT: According to this guide (http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#audio), and assuming this works with the BDP-80 as well, all I have to do is this?

Quote:

Setup Menu Options / Audio Format Setup / Recommended Audio Format Options / Stereo Analog Audio to Receiver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3937 Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 PM

I don't have one yet, but the manual has directions for connecting the video to the TV and connecting the analog audio to a stereo receiver and down mixing it to stereo.

David
post #3093 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySaab View Post

I don't have one yet, but the manual has directions for connecting the video to the TV and connecting the analog audio to a stereo receiver and down mixing it to stereo.

Ah! Geez, in my panic I totally forgot that their manual was online.

It does look like on page 11 you can connect it that way (it does show HDMI to DVI connector, but same difference), and on page 51, there's the option to turn HDMI audio off. Yes, and on the bottom of page 54 it looks like it can juggle HDMI video and analog audio!

Many thanks, FlySaab, for pointing me in the right direction.
post #3094 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Did you try this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill

Bill, thanks for the link in your reply as I could not get "The Prophet" movie disk to play in my -80. I updated the latest firmware disk received from Oppo in June (had been procrastinating) and followed the suggestions given in the link (i.e. reset factory defaults, cleared persistent storage, turned bd-live off, etc)...re-entered a few of my default settings...all of which took about 7 minutes....reserted the disc and it ran perfectly....
post #3095 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertg7 View Post

Bill, thanks for the link in your reply as I could not get "The Prophet" movie disk to play in my -80. I updated the latest firmware disk received from Oppo in June (had been procrastinating) and followed the suggestions given in the link (i.e. reset factory defaults, cleared persistent storage, turned bd-live off, etc)...re-entered a few of my default settings...all of which took about 7 minutes....reserted the disc and it ran perfectly....

Another good example of how an "auto-clear-persistent-storage-on-shutdown-if-BDLIVE-disabled" feature would be useful. It just plain works. I seem to be the only one who has suggested such a feature to Oppo. If more people who actually USE the technique to get discs working wanted to relay their stories to Oppo, it might move the feature list out of the "future considerations" pile...

BTW-- glad you got it going again!

cheers,
..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #3096 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

Another good example of how an "auto-clear-persistent-storage-on-shutdown-if-BDLIVE-disabled" feature would be useful. It just plain works. I seem to be the only one who has suggested such a feature to Oppo. If more people who actually USE the technique to get discs working wanted to relay their stories to Oppo, it might move the feature list out of the "future considerations" pile...

Wouldn't that be a problem for people who turn BD Live on for specific discs, but off for everything else?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #3097 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Wouldn't that be a problem for people who turn BD Live on for specific discs, but off for everything else?

didn't know people did that.. yes, it would. another good reason to have the feature default to OFF as I originally suggested to Oppo.

I guess I think of it this way -- there could very well be a good size population with bluray players who don't know about clearing persistent storage when there is a problem.. Are we to just leave them in the cold? Or is there a way to implement a feature ("smart" or "dumb" feature) to help them out, especially when they don't know they need help? Might just be wishful thinking though...

oh well..

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #3098 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi Timmy,

initially, welcome to the forum!

In your case, don't think twice and go -80.
In other hand, I'd suggest you to grab the -83 backlit remote, along with the S&M calibration disc though (these are standards on the -83).

Bottom line: you won't be disappointed at all

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #3099 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

i like your review of the bd 80 -- making me feel good about my purchase -
it was suppose to arrive today - but Fedex is a bit slow - its going to arrive tomorrow - i will add it to my system and play around over the weekend -

let me ask you something - in the settings on the BD 80 -- do you adjust any of them or leave them flat and just use the settings on your TV etc.

i have a 500M and usually leave it on PURE mode - looks excellent - really all the modes look great - i did copy the calibrated settings for my TV -

i wonder if i can improve even more with the BD 80 picture settings -

thanks for the good words.

to answer your ? I left the Oppo's video settings alone. I calibrated my display's(JVC LcOS) video settings with the DVE Blu-Ray & I just go with that for everything. I also disable all of the JVC's enhancement features(Dynamic Gamma, et al.). never have made the effort to have a full pro-level calibration tho.

if your Oppo arrived today by all means have a great wknd worth of fun with it & get back to us with the details.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #3100 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

thanks for the good words.

to answer your ? I left the Oppo's video settings alone. I calibrated my display's(JVC LcOS) video settings with the DVE Blu-Ray & I just go with that for everything. I also disable all of the JVC's enhancement features(Dynamic Gamma, et al.). never have made the effort to have a full pro-level calibration tho.

if your Oppo arrived today by all means have a great wknd worth of fun with it & get back to us with the details.

well just found out that ****ing Fedex says they tried to deliver it but no one was home - which is ******** - i just filed a complaint - they always do this **** - i hate fedex - now if they bring it tomorrow - who knows - but i will follow up on my complaint - and if i dont get it tomorrow - they can go **** themselves - i will cancel it and order from someone else who ships UPS -
post #3101 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM

will the oppo 80 play 44/24 music files through its usb ports? I am thinking specifically of the beatles 44/24 usb collection.
post #3102 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycloud View Post

will the oppo 80 play 44/24 music files through its usb ports? I am thinking specifically of the beatles 44/24 usb collection.

Any file format that is supported can be delivered through USB as long as the device is seen as a "mass storage device". WAV files are not supported.
post #3103 of 3937 Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
We watch a lot of subtitled MKV files from overseas (Japan, mostly).

When subtitled MKV files are burned onto a USB stick and plugged into the Oppo, the video renders just beautifully. The Oppo does a MUCH better job of handling the video than our PC's do.

The big problem is the subtitles.

The subtitles are in fonts and font colors which are intended to be readable (the intended subtitling can be seen on a PC display of the subtitles). The subtitles are also laid out to be attractive and readable.

When the Oppo decodes a subtitled MKV file, we always see a font color that blends with the background, and makes the subtitles darn near non-readable.

The subtitles are also not properly decoded and rendered. For example, a line which should look like this:

I love you, and will give up my life
to protect you from the warlord.

Is rendered by the Oppo like this:

I love you, and will give up my life\

Is there any way to change the subtitle colors, and/or the subtitle parsing on the Oppo, to make watching subtitled MKV files tolerable?
post #3104 of 3937 Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Any file format that is supported can be delivered through USB as long as the device is seen as a "mass storage device". WAV files are not supported.

And assuming that the device is not NTFS formatted.
post #3105 of 3937 Old 08-21-2010, 06:16 PM

ok i finally got my BD 80 today -- the fedex guy was new and went to the wrong apt. yesterday - how he did that - i dont know - it clearly states the apt. number -

ok - anyway - first impressions -- i didnt use it yet - i just got it in my system and checked that it turned on - it does and i opened and closed the tray - thats it -- i will watch a Reg. DVD shortly and see how good it does compared to my old player -

first - the feel it great - it has a nice heavy feel to it - clean rear with gold plated inputs etc. - seems very well built - i have the 981 and this is built - feels better - even though the front is plastic - you cant tell - feels good -
and the backlit remote is great - glad i got that upgrade - for only 10 dollars - cant pass that up -

ok - one thing i noticed - the tray opens fast - and closes fast - its not as quiet as i expected - its a bit thicker than my 981 tray which is thinner - but i think it is quieter then this one -

would anyone know if there is a option to slow the tray down when opening and closing it ?

on my computer - i have a plextor drive and i am able to adjust the speed of the tray which is cool - make it open slower and quieter that way -

so far thats all i can say -
post #3106 of 3937 Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

ok i finally got my BD 80 today -- the fedex guy was new and went to the wrong apt. yesterday - how he did that - i dont know - it clearly states the apt. number -

ok - anyway - first impressions -- i didnt use it yet - i just got it in my system and checked that it turned on - it does and i opened and closed the tray - thats it -- i will watch a Reg. DVD shortly and see how good it does compared to my old player -

first - the feel it great - it has a nice heavy feel to it - clean rear with gold plated inputs etc. - seems very well built - i have the 981 and this is built - feels better - even though the front is plastic - you cant tell - feels good -
and the backlit remote is great - glad i got that upgrade - for only 10 dollars - cant pass that up -

ok - one thing i noticed - the tray opens fast - and closes fast - its not as quiet as i expected - its a bit thicker than my 981 tray which is thinner - but i think it is quieter then this one -

would anyone know if there is a option to slow the tray down when opening and closing it ?

on my computer - i have a plextor drive and i am able to adjust the speed of the tray which is cool - make it open slower and quieter that way -

so far thats all i can say -

expresso712,

If after experiencing this player and the only nitpick you have is the tray then all is good. Think of it this way you get to watch the movie quicker.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #3107 of 3937 Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Liked: 13
[quote=expresso712;19082847]ok i finally got my BD 80 today -- the fedex guy was new and went to the wrong apt. yesterday - how he did that - i dont know - it clearly states the apt. number -

Your problem with FedEx was they had to redeliver your shipment. My problem with UPS was they left an audio rack I ordered at my front door when no one was there. 45 minutes later when someone came home it had been stolen and I am now out over $200. I will never use UPS again. I know others have also had this "dumping at the door" problem with them.
post #3108 of 3937 Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

expresso712,

If after experiencing this player and the only nitpick you have is the tray then all is good. Think of it this way you get to watch the movie quicker.

Willie

your right - it is fast - and actually its not as bad it sounded - i just watched a DVD -- and the tray is ok - i dont know but maybe i was expecting it to be much quieter - but its really ok - not that much noise as i made it sound to be before in my earlier post -

now back to what i think so far - first - i think i need to update my firmware which really should have been done already before i got it since it was issued in JUNE ?? its now almost Sept. -

i know its not a big deal - but i wonder why its not updated - it didnt tell me that i needed to update it when i went to the settings - it was blanked out actually - that could be because i dont have a network cable connected to it - maybe if i did - it would check and tell me to update ? i dont know -

it is set to check for updates etc. - but thats most likely because its not connected to the internet etc. -

ok moving on - i been watching that series - BURN NOTICE - its ok - something different to watch - i watched it on my old player which was a Mag. with the Panasonic chip in there - unifier chip - i think its called -

i just watched the last dvd from BURN NOTICE - and i didnt see a huge difference -- maybe the Mag. did a better job - hard to say - because the whole series seemed a bit grainy - background noise in the picture etc. -

this one seemed just the same or worse with the grainy picture at times -
i cant say its Oppo just yet - it may have been the Dvd itself - i cant play it on my old player because its not connected any longer -

i really was expecting it to do a little bit better at least -- i have to watch other DVD's to make a better review sort of speak of how i see things -

the audio was great - and it sounded great bitstreaming -- with DVD's its ok with the dialogue -

just so i understand - when i bitstream - my AVR is doing the decoding - and if i set it to LCPM - then the BD 80 is doing it ? is that correct ?

i do like how you can make changes with out stopping the disk - backlit remote is good -

then i tried Direct to see how it shows and to my surprise - i never done that before - my TV does a Great job - i would say at the very least - just as good -- so now i am a bit confused - maybe oppo is right about saying not for large screen TV's -- i dont have a huge TV - its 50 inch - but i do sit close - about 6 feet -

dont get me wrong - it was ok - i dont expect blu ray quality from DVD's - i guess i had my hopes too high -

i wonder how my 981 would have shown - too bad i cant do a direct comparison - would have been interesting --

i have to watch some blu rays - hopefully next week - and i will try some DVD's i have which i remember watching in the past and showed very good - they are burnt copies i made a while back -

has anyone watched BURN NOTICE ? maybe you can tell me if it showed grainy to you also ?

the player has some settings - but i left them alone for now - dosnt matter what i changed because after i update it tomorrow - i will do a factory reset and start over anyway -

so yes i like the player - the build quality - etc. - but so far - not sure about how great the upscaler is for DVD's - i know its not going to be like the BD 83 - i dont know if its worth the extra 200 for me - since i am using everything HDMI - so my audio is not affected either way -

was just one dvd so far and cant say how it would have shown on my older player - but i have to say - the older Mag. really wasnt that bad at all after all
post #3109 of 3937 Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 PM

[quote=lorjam;19082920]
Quote:

Your problem with FedEx was they had to redeliver your shipment. My problem with UPS was they left an audio rack I ordered at my front door when no one was there. 45 minutes later when someone came home it had been stolen and I am now out over $200. I will never use UPS again. I know others have also had this "dumping at the door" problem with them.

that sucks - and you know - UPS here does the same thing - only one or two UPS guys i know - dont leave it - but lately they do that here also - and they dont even ring the bell or knock - i just open the door to go out and find a package there - i would rather they hand it to me in person -

but you should not be liable if you didnt sign for it etc. - you have to file a complaint and an insurance claim i guess with them - and also if you used AMEX card - they can help for sure - i just cancel the charge - and let AMEX get involved - they are pretty good with buyer protection etc. -

one good thing at least is my building it pretty much safe - i never had a problem with missing things - but never know - can happen at anytime -
post #3110 of 3937 Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Good morning all,I was hoping I could get some advice. I have a panasonic dmp-bd30 bluray player and so far it has operated well,a little slow to load discs but I am a patient man.I have the onkyo 607 receiver so i also get all the new audio formats passed thru hdmi to the receiver,so I am not missing out on optimum audio.My question is would I notice any difference in pic or audio quality if I was to upgrade to the oppo bdp-80 bluray player? I cant find any information on a side by side comparison.Thanks in advance.
post #3111 of 3937 Old 08-22-2010, 06:40 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post

Good morning all,I was hoping I could get some advice. I have a panasonic dmp-bd30 bluray player and so far it has operated well,a little slow to load discs but I am a patient man.I have the onkyo 607 receiver so i also get all the new audio formats passed thru hdmi to the receiver,so I am not missing out on optimum audio.My question is would I notice any difference in pic or audio quality if I was to upgrade to the oppo bdp-80 bluray player? I cant find any information on a side by side comparison.Thanks in advance.

The general forum consensus is that all BR players produce very similar images from BR discs. For more see the FAQ: Is the Blu-ray picture quality of this player amazingly better than any other player?

DVD performance is more variable, but results depend on many factors including your viewing conditions and preferences. We usually have a look at the DVD column in Winston's table as a starting point, but I do not see your Panasonic listed there: http://winstonsreviews.com/?page_id=63.

Digital audio will be the same. Analog audio may be different.

-Bill
post #3112 of 3937 Old 08-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Hi Timmy,

initially, welcome to the forum!

In your case, don't think twice and go -80.
In other hand, I'd suggest you to grab the -83 backlit remote, along with the S&M calibration disc though (these are standards on the -83).

Bottom line: you won't be disappointed at all

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'm probably going to go with fancy universal remote but I'll take a peak at the difference in the stock remotes of the two and see if it's worth upgrading.

Thanks again!
post #3113 of 3937 Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTimmy View Post

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'm probably going to go with fancy universal remote but I'll take a peak at the difference in the stock remotes of the two and see if it's worth upgrading.

Thanks again!

i got the remote when i ordered it - its the same remote for both players
one is backlit - the BD 80 is not - but you can order it - for only $10 !!!

i posted earlier how i felt about the upscaler - well i need to change that semi review - i am watching a movie - portrait of Amelia airbus -
and it looks very good considering its a older movie - its a copy i made and it was compressed to a 4 gig disc - given all that - it shows very very good -

it must have been the dvd disc i was watching which was Burn Notice - i realized it before on the other disks from burn notice -it wasnt that great in PQ - but this last disk i saw was the worst and go figure - it was the first dvd i tried on my new bd 80 - haha

i was almost thinking of exchanging this for the 83 - but i dont think so - if the next few weeks of dvds and blu rays are as good as this one i am watching - its a keeper for sure - i did upgrade to the new firmware and reset everything to default -

i am starting to feel very good about this player - and the audio is excellent even though its a step down from the 83 - i notice that compared to my previous player - it just sounds better so far with movies - i havnt tried audio music yet - or SACD - i have to purchase some now -

also another thing i did notice even on the bad dvd i watched first - was it does a better job when the picture moves sideways left to right - etc. - i think its called pan and scan - that i noticed even on the bad looking dvd i watched first - now i cant wait for a blu ray to come in
post #3114 of 3937 Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I don't believe FLAC files are supported either (at least, that's what Oppo told me when I emailed them and I trusted them enough not to bother trying myself). It seems like their music support on USB devices is pretty much limited to lossy formats like MP3, which kills some of the advantage of playing the Beatles USB collection through that input. Since I don't have a PC connect to my home theater, I had to resort to finding a DVD-Audio somebody had made from the higher-resolution FLAC files on the Beatles USB collection to be able to listen to them at better-than-CD resolution. I wish Oppo would add support for lossless file formats (including WAV, FLAC and maybe APE) to their USB inputs. But then, I'd like to have them bring back the audio spectrograph to have something to watch when I listen to CDs as my use of the HDMI connection forced me to have the TV on.
post #3115 of 3937 Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSUB View Post

Anyone having troubles playing the movie Kick Ass on their BDP-80? I had to use my PS3 to play the movie.

Just watched Kick Ass and it played fine for me. No issues at all (other than it didn't edit out Nick Cage )
post #3116 of 3937 Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohling View Post

Just watched Kick Ass and it played fine for me. No issues at all (other than it didn't edit out Nick Cage )

There's an option for that in the player's setup.
post #3117 of 3937 Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Thank you Mr. Elbow. I wasn't able to get my 96/24 flac version of raising sand to play through a usb stick. Now I know why.
post #3118 of 3937 Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

When subtitled MKV files are burned onto a USB stick and plugged into the Oppo, the video renders just beautifully. The Oppo does a MUCH better job of handling the video than our PC's do. < snip >

Wish I had an answer to your subtitle issue, but unfortunately I don't, yet at least. I'm having another problem with an MKV file, I can't seem to get any sound from at least one I have, which is a condensed 720P file. It looks like the audio file is DD 5.1, and the audio plays when fed from my CPU via HDMI to my Onkyo TS-SR805 receiver... in fact it sounds great there, but the video is much better playing through the Oppo. I've made a conventional DVD using the file and it plays both audio and video fine using the Oppo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wipster

"Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?"
post #3119 of 3937 Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

When subtitled MKV files are burned onto a USB stick and plugged into the Oppo, the video renders just beautifully. The Oppo does a MUCH better job of handling the video than our PC's do.

The big problem is the subtitles.

The subtitles are in fonts and font colors which are intended to be readable (the intended subtitling can be seen on a PC display of the subtitles). The subtitles are also laid out to be attractive and readable.

When the Oppo decodes a subtitled MKV file, we always see a font color that blends with the background, and makes the subtitles darn near non-readable.

The subtitles are also not properly decoded and rendered. For example, a line which should look like this:

I love you, and will give up my life

Is rendered by the Oppo like this:

I love you, and will give up my life\

Is there any way to change the subtitle colors, and/or the subtitle parsing on the Oppo, to make watching subtitled MKV files tolerable?

I had the same problem. Plus there won't be any audio output if the .mkv has flac audio or some other lossless format.

Oppos are pretty much useless for many types of mkv files, they might fix some of the issues but I doubt it's a big priority for them. A Popcorn Hour or other media player would probably satisfy your needs.
post #3120 of 3937 Old 08-24-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Easy solution if your PC can handle it and you are far too lazy to connect the computer to your television/home theater system:

Use Tversity and have it set to always Transcode into MPEG-2.

Stream over DLNA. TVersity will decode all audio and video formats (and mux any subtitles that may be in the stream) and send it to the BDP-80 over the network.

The downside: Your PC needs to be relatively good in order to do real time transcoding from a high definition video source.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page