post #3811 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

i am thinking about trying to add a hard drive to the BD 80 -- and see if that works - i know you need to have an external power supply - and it has to be formatted to Fat 32 -- from reading the manual - it sounds as if this can be done -

has anyone tried to use a hard drive for music ? not a Thumb drive - but a 500 gig external hard drive usb with external power -

if so - can you tell me which drive you used etc.. if it worked -

i been searching for a 2.5 drive - but most i find have only usb powered - normally i would like that but in this case - i need the external power supply -
i cant seem to find one this way - unless i move up to the larger hard drives -
i wanted to keep a small one attached to the front of the BD 80 - then i can rip alot of music there -- high resolution etc.

any ideas ?

thanks -

I did not try it on the -80, but on the -93 the popup toaster docks are very handy and will take both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. They are externally powered.

With a dock at each end you just move bare drives between the player and your PC.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
A small 2.5" portable HDD should work with the BDP-80. It's rated to provide up to 500mV from its USB port and should be compatible. Look for a 2.5" 5400 RPM drive which should have lower power requirements.

Note that the BDP-80 does not support WAV or FLAC, so "high resolution" audio may not be an option on HDD.
post #3813 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneniamat View Post

Moving external USB drives around the house from ripper(PC) to player is old school. For $50 more (pogoplug) you can network that drive and stream your MP3s from the NETWORK menu in your Oppo.

There's lots of people still streaming straight from their computers too. But I.M.O. even that's 'backwards'.

thanks - i will check that out also - but with a network setup - i have to run a wire to the oppo - i can do that - but i am assuming you have to keep your computer on ? when listening ?

if thats the case - i dont want to keep the computer on just to listen to music -
post #3814 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A small 2.5" portable HDD should work with the BDP-80. It's rated to provide up to 500mV from its USB port and should be compatible. Look for a 2.5" 5400 RPM drive which should have lower power requirements.

Note that the BDP-80 does not support WAV or FLAC, so "high resolution" audio may not be an option on HDD.

thanks - thats good to know - if i can find a hard drive that works with the power of the oppo - would be even better -

ok i see the oppo can play those - i was going to try some of those type of files - so basically the best it can play would be a MP3 at 320 ?

i know all the debates about high resolution etc. - and really - everything i play sounds very very good on my system - at least to my ears - yes i can hear some differences between different resolutions when theres a big gap between them - lets say a very low file compared to the highest - since my marantz dosnt play high resolution - i been using MP3 at 320 when i rip to a CD mix - and it does a fine job - but i do get it -

maybe when a music server comes down in price - i just add one in my rack - thats my goal - just add it in my rack and hook it up to my AVR etc. like everything else -

so in the meantime - i just figure i play around with this -

does the current oppo - 93 etc. play back the higher resolution files ? i know at some point i will be getting a new oppo -
post #3815 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

does the current oppo - 93 etc. play back the higher resolution files ? i know at some point i will be getting a new oppo -

The FAQs listed in my signature show the supported file types for each player. The BDP-80 is the same as the BDP-83 in this regard.

-Bill
post #3816 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

thanks - i will check that out also - but with a network setup - i have to run a wire to the oppo - i can do that - but i am assuming you have to keep your computer on ? when listening ?

if thats the case - i dont want to keep the computer on just to listen to music -

Me neither.

For another $100 get a wireless bridge if you absolutely cannot run an ethernet cable.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/ada...VVviewprod.htm

The Bridge will plug into the ethernet port on the Oppo and catch wireless signals from the home router and Pogo(which needs no computer). Youll be draggin and dropping your ripped music from computer to networked External Usb drive and reading back from the same drive through your Oppo network menu.

No more excuses.

"Oh Lord, grant me the serenity to understand the things I cannot change ... and enough ammunition for the things that I can."
wayneniamat.com
post #3817 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Moving external USB drives around the house from ripper(PC) to player is old school. For $50 more (pogoplug) you can network that drive and stream your MP3s from the NETWORK menu in your Oppo.

There's lots of people still streaming straight from their computers too. But I.M.O. even that's 'backwards'.

i am sure there is alot for me to learn - i never jumped into the network thing - i like to keep things simple - i use pandora alot - which is great just hanging around - cooking and while i eat etc. -

what excatly can i do with that network feature on the oppo ? i though i have to connect the cable - which i do - and then connect it to my computer router etc. ? and play off the computer ? since i dont want to keep the computer on and set it up etc. - i never looked into it -

i end up with issues when i play around with networking etc.
post #3818 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ok i see the oppo can play those - i was going to try some of those type of files - so basically the best it can play would be a MP3 at 320 ?

You can stream higher resolution audio to the BDP-80 via network (DNLA). This requires transcoding in the DNLA server. Check the FAQs that Bill mentioned for other supported file types that you can play from USB.
post #3819 of 3941 Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:

You can stream higher resolution audio to the BDP-80 via network (DNLA). This requires transcoding in the DNLA server. Check the FAQs that Bill mentioned for other supported file types that you can play from USB.

thanks - i think about that for the future - i just never started that network setup thing and - hate to crash my network and then no internet !!!

so i try to leave things alone when they work
post #3820 of 3941 Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Me neither.

For another $100 get a wireless bridge if you absolutely cannot run an ethernet cable.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/ada...VVviewprod.htm

The Bridge will plug into the ethernet port on the Oppo and catch wireless signals from the home router and Pogo(which needs no computer). Youll be draggin and dropping your ripped music from computer to networked External Usb drive and reading back from the same drive through your Oppo network menu.

No more excuses.

i do have a cable going to my Roku box - so i really just need a splitter to send one cable to the Roku and another to the Oppo - then i would be connected -

now - once thats done - i am not very good with this networking thing -

if my music is on my external drive which is connected to my PC - the drive turns on and off with the computer - so if my computer is OFF - the drive would be also -

if thats the case - how would this work for me ?

was thinking of trying to play movies also - would it play dvd movie folders ripped from my orignal dvd ?
post #3821 of 3941 Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:

looking into the hardrive option and finding out that i would have to format it in FAT32 - which maybe i can do with a 500gig - but not sure how windows would see it - would i be able to use it on my computer to put the music on the drive - ?

has anyone done this using a small mini hard drive around 500 gig ?
post #3822 of 3941 Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having a MAJOR meltdown of my Oppo since updating the FW to 1104. briefly, here's what's happening to my --80:

plays BDs fine. transport controls work normally-BUT-

player display doesn't work-just flashes some of the graphics(i.e. indicators for DTS, HDMI,et.al. flash at the same time-usually when sending commands from the remote).

press SETUP on remote & you get a screen from the PICTURE tab-after many repeated presses of SETUP eventually it displays the main setup menu.

scrolling up or down ONCE in the menu tabs triggers constant rapid scrolling up & down the tabs. won't stop until you press ENTER.

if you're quick or lucky enough to stop on a tab you want & move the R cursor button you can select a function & it will enable it(like changing resolution or display type).

in short the problems are the non-functional front panel display & crazy remote command responses in the setup menu.

going to contact Oppo tech support but wanted to give you guys a headsup.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #3823 of 3941 Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^
Start by adding nice fresh batteries to the remote.
post #3824 of 3941 Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 174
You can use the front panel buttons to navigate the UI of the player. With no disc in the tray press the PLAY/ENTER button on the front panel of the player.

Go to Device Setup by pressing the STOP button several times. Press the PLAY/ENTER button on the front panel.

Press the PAUSE button until you see Reset Factory Defaults. Press the PLAY/ENTER button.

Press the SKIP BACK button and highlight "OK". Press the PLAY/ENTER button.

Your player has now reset itself to factory defaults.

Does the remote control work properly and the front panel is displaying EASY SETUP continuously?
post #3825 of 3941 Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

just off the phone with Oppo tech support. they don't think it's a FW issue-want me to send the player back to them to look at the problem.

Neuromancer I'll try what you've suggested. the remote seems to work OK. the front panel displays nothing-just flashes random graphics.

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #3826 of 3941 Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Neuromancer thanx 4 the suggestions but no dice.

I did find out that the front panel controls don't work either. nothing on the front panel works except the tray button.

I WAS able to reset to factory default settings using the remote(took patience, timing, & a bit of luck).

the reset didn't help.

so Oppo sent the promised e-mail with an RMA#. player's going back to them.

at least I have a back-up player.

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #3827 of 3941 Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Has anybody had any problems playing the rental version of the Blu-Ray for "Contagion" on their BDP-80? I got a copy from NetFlix and tried to play it last night. It got as far as showing all zeros on the display and a black screen on the TV and just locked up, time after time. The player would not respond to the Stop, Play, Eject or any other commands from the remote except powering it off.

Since I have a media player in my rig (a NetGear NeoTV 550), I figured I'd rip the movie using either AnyDVD HD or DvdFab. Both complained about some new BD+ copy protection, so maybe there's something weird about this disc that Oppo hasn't updated their firmware yet to handle. By the way, I DO have the latest firmware version installed on the player.

I eventually pulled my old Sony Blu-Ray player from the loft, plugged it into the main home theater and was able to watch it. That's a first for me, the old Sony being able to play something that the normally unbeatable Oppo couldn't handle.

Oppo, can you look into whatever copy protection is used by the rental version of this movie and update your firmware to handle it? I'm afraid other movies I'll be renting may start using it and I do NOT want to drag the Sony about to be able to watch them!
post #3828 of 3941 Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post

Has anybody had any problems playing the rental version of the Blu-Ray for "Contagion" on their BDP-80? I got a copy from NetFlix and tried to play it last night. It got as far as showing all zeros on the display and a black screen on the TV and just locked up, time after time. The player would not respond to the Stop, Play, Eject or any other commands from the remote except powering it off.

This is a known issue on that movie. the other players have received an update that fixes it. You may want to check with Oppo to see when they will have the update for the BDP-80.

In the mean time you can try the FAQ steps.
post #3829 of 3941 Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

This is a known issue on that movie. the other players have received an update that fixes it. You may want to check with Oppo to see when they will have the update for the BDP-80.

I did check with Oppo and they wrote back suggesting that I download a different firmware version. However, the link for that version made it look like it was meant for the BDP-83, not the BDP-80, so I'm waiting for clarification from them before applying it.
post #3830 of 3941 Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did check with Oppo and they wrote back suggesting that I download a different firmware version. However, the link for that version made it look like it was meant for the BDP-83, not the BDP-80, so I'm waiting for clarification from them before applying it.

The player will refuse to flash an incorrect firmware. But you may get results just by erasing persistent storage and toggling BD-Live on or off.
post #3831 of 3941 Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Contagion will not work until the BD-JAVA library has been upgraded as it did with the BDP-83 and the BDP-95. I would expect the BDP-80 to receive a new firmware once the Beta Firmware for the BDP-83 is finalized. They share similar code and architecture.
post #3832 of 3941 Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Contagion will not work until the BD-JAVA library has been upgraded as it did with the BDP-83 and the BDP-95. I would expect the BDP-80 to receive a new firmware once the Beta Firmware for the BDP-83 is finalized. They share similar code and architecture.

Oppo sent me the follow, which shows you are right.
Quote:

The BDP-80 will receive a firmware upgrade in the coming weeks which will contain the same firmware fixes as the BDP-83.

post #3833 of 3941 Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually, you can get this title to work with the BDP-80. As always, delete the Persistent Storage and disable BD-LIVE. Try also removing the network cable if one is already plugged into the player.

When the screen is completely black, and the front panel displays all zeroes (0) on the front panel, pressing the POPUP button on the remote will allow you to select "Return to last time played" or "Start at beginning of disc".

This is the same workaround that affects television series like Fringe, Dexter, and so forth which was resolved in the current Beta Firmware for the BDP-83 and BDP-9x series of players.
post #3834 of 3941 Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 AM

Anybody have experience w/ audiophile type pre-amps w/ no processing? I have a question about the analog outs of the -80 or any other blu-ray player and the 10db LFE boost:

If I have a volume control pre-amp w/ no processing similar to the 2 I have linked below -

Copland CVA 306 PREAMPLIFIER - http://www.divertech.com/coplandcva306.html

Parsound P7 Preamplifier - http://www.parasound.com/halo/p7.php

- I think I still have to some how raise the LFE output by 10db's, whether it be at the subwoofer itself or trim the LFE output of the -80, so that my LFE channel measures 10db's higher than the other main channels. Does this sound right?

Thanks in Advance...
post #3835 of 3941 Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Yes. Do it using the volume knob on your sub. Check levels with a good calibration disc -- such as the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray -- and an SPL meter. To check SACD levels, uses tracks 43-48 of "Stay in Tune with Pentatone", SACD.

The idea is that LFE is recorded low so that it can carry *LOUD* bass without risk of clipping the input at the other end of that cable. Thus the correct place to provide the necessary boost is external to the player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3836 of 3941 Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Just got Contagion in the mail from Blockbuster and it will not play. I've tried all the tricks listed above (I' always leave BD-Live disable, never seen a single thing of interest on BD-Live) and still can't get it to play.

I know it is not Oppo's fault but man this is frustrating. I'm sick of this happening with disc, studios need to leave the code alone, stop screwing your customers like this. Blu-Ray should be beyond this by now, all the kinks should be worked out but no, studios like Fox have to keep throwing a wrench into everything.

Just sucks because the BDP80 is on the bottom of the pecking order for Oppo, or it seems that way at times, which means this issue could be around for awhile. I love my 80 and I'll most definitely by another Oppo one day but, with the short shelf life that the BDP 80 had I feel like I've been short changed at times because of the seemingly slow firmware upadates.

Oh well, back to BB goes Contagion, I'll try you again someday.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #3837 of 3941 Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Hi - would any one know - on the BD80 using the USB for music - is there a way to change to the next folder ?

for example - i have lets say 8 folders with music in each folder - i get it to play all Music - and it plays each song from each folder - i can skip a song just like on a DVD - skipping a chapter -

but if i wanted to skip to the next Folder - is there a way to do that ?
Can it be done - i am using a logitech remote 700 i think - i love this remote - works great - but i dont see a screen for skipping a folder -- its not the Oppo remote ether that i can see -

is it possible - if not - is there a work around ?

thanks
post #3838 of 3941 Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Release date: March 06, 2012.
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP80-25-0301
Loader Version: BT0500
Sub Version: MCU80-06-0118

1. Resolved the random image freezing issue observed on several Warner Brothers Blu-ray movies. The problem happens when "BD-Live Network Access" is set to "ON" in the player's setup menu. Sample titles include "Sex and the City 2 (BD, 2011)" and "Inception (BD, 2011)". This issue has been resolved in this release.

2. Resolved the loading failure issue observed on several recently-released Blu-ray series, including "Fringe" (Season 3, 2011), "Chuck" (Season 4, 2011), "Dexter" (Season 5, 2011), "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings". Normally, these movies can be played with no problems when initially loaded. However, if disc playback has been stopped or the disc ejected, the disc would fail to load again the next it is played. The TV would get a black screen and the front panel display would remain at 00:00:00. The cause of this error is related to the discs' resume function implemented in BD-Java. This firmware properly handles the resume function.

3. Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming releases. Sample titles include "Contagion (BD, 2012)" and "Mildred Pierce (BD, 2012)".
post #3839 of 3941 Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

3. Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming releases. Sample titles include "Contagion (BD, 2012)" and "Mildred Pierce (BD, 2012)".

Could've used this upgrade last night. Just returned Contagion to Netflix this morning because it wouldn't play. Guess I'll report as a playback problem and try another disc post FW upgrade.

Really sad that Blu-ray technology still has these problems years after it's introduction. These kinds of issues will continue to drive people to streaming alternatives. The better picture/sound quality just isn't worth the hassle of dealing with discs that may or may not play in a given player.
post #3840 of 3941 Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

BD-Java is a joke.

Former USSB uplink operator.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player