Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 3941 Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A bit off-topic, but I'm just pasting down what I wrote couple days ago over at the 983H DVD Thread, which seems to me kinda weird behaviour though and maybe applies to the BDP-80 player as well:

Hey Guys,

just for the records, a couple weeks ago I decided to use the CAPTURE option on my 983 just for kicks, which replaced the default Oppo logo, though.

Having done that, after some days the video quality of DVD's became just plain horrible, sometimes blurred, sometimes kinda "garbled", with too much ghosting, colors totally undefined and so on. Audio quality was fine all the time, as a matter of fact.

Well, the first thing that came to mind was a faulty cable and I replaced the original HDMI cable for another one and I did it twice, without success.

Afterwards I started to think that the culprit was the 983 video processor, as it just started to fail out of a sudden though...

To make a long story short, yesterday evening I thought: why not returning to the DEFAULT mode ( Oppo logo ), rather than keeping the CAPTURED image?? Voila, everything came back to normal and my 983 is playing flawlessly the same way it did since day one; go figure...

Question though: what's the explanation for such an issue??

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3941 Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Question though: what's the explanation for such an issue??

I don't recall that ever being reported before, so I doubt if we have an explanation. It's bizarre.

-Bill
post #3873 of 3941 Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Agree with you Bill, totally bizarre indeed!

That's why I've also posted here, just to "spread the news"...
Maybe I'll try out the same on my BDP-80, just to see what happens though.

Regards, Chuck
post #3874 of 3941 Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

As the title says, I recently got a gift from my son who just came from UK and brought me the Cleopatra BD (region-free) and to my surprise it refuses to play on my BD-80 though, no matter what...

Weird thing is that it does play perfectly on my old Panny BD-30...
Maybe it's time for a new FW update, though.

AFAIK, new releases only are affected by this nonsense, specially from FOX.

Regards, Chuck
post #3875 of 3941 Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

As the title says, I recently got a gift from my son who just came from UK and brought me the Cleopatra BD (region-free) and to my surprise it refuses to play on my BD-80 though, no matter what...

Weird thing is that it does play perfectly on my old Panny BD-30...
Maybe it's time for a new FW update, though.

AFAIK, new releases only are affected by this nonsense, specially from FOX.

You've erased Persistent Storage and rebooted?

If still no good, be sure to report this to OPPO. You may be the first to try the import.

-Bill
post #3876 of 3941 Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
^^ Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. The Main firmware should end "0301". If not, you need to update. (That firmware came out March 6, and does include disc compatibility updates.)

Check the disc surface for dirt.

Erase Persistent Storage, power cycle the player, and try again.

If none of the above cures the problem, email OPPO tech support with the disc details, including the bar code number from the disc packaging. They may have history on this disc, or OPPO UK may have some for them.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3877 of 3941 Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks a bunch guys!

Will x-check everything tonight and will return with comments

Regards, Chuck
post #3878 of 3941 Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

as promised, I performed the new FW upgrade and put in the Cleopatra BD and... after a long while (more than expected)... voilÃ*, the BD-80 did play normally. Anyway, a bit longer than expected, though, specially for such an old classic like this.

I'm attaching the Cleo UK version I got, if someone needs the bar code though.

One last thing though: every time I upgrade to a new FW, I also have to spin the Super Disk CD I have, otherwise it won't unlock the region-free chip

Regards, Chuck
post #3879 of 3941 Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Cool! Glad you got it working. I wonder what the hold up is getting that title released in the US?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3880 of 3941 Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool indeed Bob!

BTW, I've been reading the new FW from Oppo and it doesn't mention anything about Cleo, but we might as well consider it, right?

Let's see what happens when the US version is released and you're right again; don't know why it hasn't been released yet in the US, go figure...

One last question Bob, which have been discussed here already:

just don't understand WHY do I need to spin the Super Disk Patch CD everytime I perform a new FW update... AFAIK, there's nothing in common between both procedures, no?

Regards, Chuck
post #3881 of 3941 Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Cool indeed Bob!

BTW, I've been reading the new FW from Oppo and it doesn't mention anything about Cleo, but we might as well consider it, right?

Let's see what happens when the US version is released and you're right again; don't know why it hasn't been realeased yet in the US, go figure...

On last question Bob, which have been discussed here already:

just don't understand WHY do I need to spin the Super Disk Patch CD everytime I perform a new FW update... AFAIK, there's nothing in common between both procedures, no?

I don't think anyone has figured out just what makes it necessary to reapply the Super Disk after a firmware update or not.

The expectation is that you *DO* have to reapply it after a firmware install. But evidently there are some cases where that is not necessary.

One of the fixes in this firmware release addresses issues with EU versions of FOX titles, that were apparently authored using a different version of BD-Java than was being used for US releases. I presume Cleopatra falls into that category.
--Bob

post #3882 of 3941 Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Most definetely Bob!

If the new FW addresses issues with EU versions of FOX films, no doubt that Cleo falls indeed into that category.

Thanks again for your enlightment, Master

Regards, Chuck
post #3883 of 3941 Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

IThe expectation is that you *DO* have to reapply it after a firmware install. But evidently there are some cases where that is not necessary.

What's this Super Disk about? I've got a modified BDP-80 and I've never had to apply anything when updating the firmware. I just recently upgraded to the March one, and the modification works as good as ever.
post #3884 of 3941 Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _crs_ View Post

What's this Super Disk about? I've got a modified BDP-80 and I've never had to apply anything when updating the firmware. I just recently upgraded to the March one, and the modification works as good as ever.

Super Disk is a free, unofficial software patch to make the player region-free for DVD. It does not change Blu-ray region coding.

http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

This version works on all the OPPO BR players.

-Bill
post #3885 of 3941 Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 AM

Curious, what is a good price for a used BDP-80? And why are there so few of these that pop up on ebay (none right now)? Anyway, there is one on my local craigslist asking $200. What would be a reasonable offer to make him for it?
post #3886 of 3941 Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 AM

post #3887 of 3941 Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Curious, what is a good price for a used BDP-80? And why are there so few of these that pop up on ebay (none right now)? Anyway, there is one on my local craigslist asking $200. What would be a reasonable offer to make him for it?

In good condition with all original packing and extras, that's a fair price. Check the completed listings on eBay.
post #3888 of 3941 Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Has anyone heard of this problem with a BDP-80. CD's, SACD's, and DVD's all report "No Disk" when inserted. Blu-Rays work fine. The problem did not occur instantly but happened in a matter of 10 or 15 minutes. I put in a SACD and it was playing normally then the audio started dropping out for a second every 20 or 30 seconds. As I experimented with different media and rebooting things got progressively worse. Now it will only see and play Blu-Rays. I have forced a FW upgrade... no change.

Thanks,
Steve
post #3889 of 3941 Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldor View Post

Has anyone heard of this problem with a BDP-80. CD's, SACD's, and DVD's all report "No Disk" when inserted. Blu-Rays work fine. The problem did not occur instantly but happened in a matter of 10 or 15 minutes. I put in a SACD and it was playing normally then the audio started dropping out for a second every 20 or 30 seconds. As I experimented with different media and rebooting things got progressively worse. Now it will only see and play Blu-Rays. I have forced a FW upgrade... no change.

Thanks,
Steve

You can try cleaning the laser with a Q-tip and alcohol. Otherwise contact Oppo for a repair, they'll fix it up in a hurry.
post #3890 of 3941 Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM

I often burn to DVD+RW dics and watch content that way (wireless is too unreliable in my house). After about 15 months my BDP-80 started having problems with my DVD+RW discs, but was fine with regular DVDs and Blu-rays. The player would freeze on videos part way through. When I stopped playback it no longer recognized any content on the disc and so could not show the menu with content. Ejecting the disc and reloading brought the disc error or unrecognized disc messages.

Initially I thought I had bad DVD+RW discs, so I bought a new batch. Then I thought it may be overheating, as the player does get quite hot.

After attempting to address these potential issues and finding nothing I did resolved the problem, I contacted Oppo. They required me to send in a DVD+RW which exhibited problems on my player. They could not reproduce, so they created an RMA and I returned my player for repair.

Oppo replaced the loader and now everything works fine again. They replaced the loader for free, which was completely unexpected by me. Kudos to them for their fantastic customer service.

It sounds like your problem may be similar to mine. I suggest contacting Oppo for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldor View Post

Thanks,
Steve

post #3891 of 3941 Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Liked: 12
I have a rather unique issue that just started today, just curious if any one has had the same. my oppo bdp-80 seems to freeze no matter what i play it takes a couple minutes for it to do it but it seems whether i play blus or dvds it freezes up it also freezes up if im in the setup menu, ive tried factory default but still same thing. My first thought was laser needs cleaning but once i realized im freezing in the setup menus i dont think thats the case. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

post #3892 of 3941 Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post

I have a rather unique issue that just started today, just curious if any one has had the same. my oppo bdp-80 seems to freeze no matter what i play it takes a couple minutes for it to do it but it seems whether i play blus or dvds it freezes up it also freezes up if im in the setup menu, ive tried factory default but still same thing. My first thought was laser needs cleaning but once i realized im freezing in the setup menus i dont think thats the case. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Oppo support will take care of you. Sounds like it needs a trip to the doctor. But first, replace the remote batteries.
post #3893 of 3941 Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post

Oppo support will take care of you. Sounds like it needs a trip to the doctor. But first, replace the remote batteries.

Just what i figured, was kinda hoping it was a simple fix.

Sent from my Evo3D using tapatalk

post #3894 of 3941 Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevntrace View Post

I often burn to DVD+RW dics and watch content that way (wireless is too unreliable in my house). After about 15 months my BDP-80 started having problems with my DVD+RW discs, but was fine with regular DVDs and Blu-rays. The player would freeze on videos part way through. When I stopped playback it no longer recognized any content on the disc and so could not show the menu with content. Ejecting the disc and reloading brought the disc error or unrecognized disc messages.

Apparently there is some issue with wear on the laser head unit on the Oppo BDP-80 and -83 drives. I have the same problem on my own player. I haven't contacted Oppo support on it yet, since sending the player off from the Netherlands for repair is more expensive than conducting the repair myself.

Fortunately, the BDP-80 pretty much has a bog standard BD-ROM player as a transport, so it's easy to replace. I have already tested it with a Serial ATA DVD-ROM I pulled from my server, and it played back CD's and DVD's happily. I have not been able to test it with another BD-ROM drive yet since I don't have a spare on hand.

Replacement is pretty much drop-in, the biggest challenge is matching the standard 5,25" PC form factor drive into the chassis and making it all line up.
post #3895 of 3941 Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM

It sucks, i only use my player for blus and dvd. I bought it because i originally was using ps3 (original) for movies and gaming and i game quite a bit, thinking that would put less wear on ps3, but looks like my oppo tapped out first:(

post #3896 of 3941 Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevntrace View Post

This is very typical with DVD+RW discs, they burn with horrible quality and are often very difficult to read in some drives. Try different discs before leaping to any conclusions about the BDP-80's drive. The 8x rated DVD+RW are the worst, suggest trying Verbatim 4x or a DVD-RW disc.
post #3897 of 3941 Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM

So i unplugged everything last night and behold i come home plug it back up and now its working just fine:confused:

post #3898 of 3941 Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Hello fellow BDP-80 owners.
I've got a problem with loading .mkv off of a USB stick

I've got the latest firmware. And a fast, new 64gb USB3 compatible (but of course also compatible with USB2 etc) USB stick carefully formatted in FAT32. All files are below the 4gb limit of the format. I tried with a bunch of files on there and as soon as I click movie, it just does that circle thing forever.

Then I reformatted the drive again, cutting it into a bunch of 8gb partitions and put files on those. Same deal. Then just one file.

The same file works on 4gb stick, and I've used 32gb sticks before with no issue.

What could be the problem? I was keen to load it up with videos, its FAT32, is there some kind of stick speed or total drive cap? I was sure it was just a question of 4gb file limits and other than that FAT32 compliance is fine?

j
post #3899 of 3941 Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I suspect the problem is that your USB3 stick is not *REALLY* as USB2 compatible as it is supposed to be, but let's see what the media file mavens here come up with as other things to try.
--Bob

post #3900 of 3941 Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 175
The drive may not be compatible with the player. I know with the BDP-8x series of players OPPO was recommending using 8GB or smaller flashdrives. One of the problems with larger flashdrives is that they often will split the memory onto several modules. It is possible that the hub which is used to bridge the modules is not supported by the player, so it sees an incomplete file.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page