Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 133 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #3961 of 3971 Old 03-14-2015, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up Hunger Games Mockingjay: Part 1 FIXED

Thank you Bob Pariseau and Rich86 -- the LPCM solution worked and is a fit for me. I do prefer having my receiver manage the speaker calibration so that it's uniform across all sources but I'm much more interested in playback not suffering from audio dropouts.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 3971 Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ With HDMI LPCM output, it is still your AVR that controls/adjusts the speaker configuration.

The OPPO just does the decode from Digital Bitstream to Digital LPCM. Like unZipping a Zip file on your computer.
--Bob
post #3963 of 3971 Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The only time I caught a difference between LPCM and bitstream was with Jurassic Park on Blu-ray. The opening percussion distorted with my BDP-80 set to LPCM, When I switched to bitstream there was no distortion. Switched back to LPCM and the distortion was present again. I prefer LPCM output though, and I don't watch JP often.

Neil
post #3964 of 3971 Old 03-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ On the 80, with a DTS-HD MA 7.1 track use Bitstream. With a TrueHD 7.1 track (including Atmos tracks) use LPCM.
--Bob
post #3965 of 3971 Old 03-21-2015, 05:25 PM

Liked: 12
Just a Little Dusty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post
With the latest firmware my "A Private Little War" paused 8 times throughout the episode.

Rewinding slightly and pressing play did not pause again where it did previously; it continued playing for about 5-10 minutes where the same thing happened again.

So, it may be firmware, it may be the mastering on all the Season 2 TOS blu-rays, it may be I just got bad disks.

Oppo support has requested I send in a disk, so I'll send in "A Private Little War" and see what happens.
Oppo couldn't reproduce the pauses when I sent in the disk, so they requested I send my player, too.

I got the player and disk back in less than a week from when I sent it, and their repair notes said that they cleaned the loader and the laser lens to correct the problem.

Today I've verified that the pauses are gone; yay!

So it was never a firmware issue.

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #3966 of 3971 Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post
Oppo couldn't reproduce the pauses when I sent in the disk, so they requested I send my player, too.

I got the player and disk back in less than a week from when I sent it, and their repair notes said that they cleaned the loader and the laser lens to correct the problem.

Today I've verified that the pauses are gone; yay!

So it was never a firmware issue.
Do they recommend a particular cleaning method / product? Or how often such a cleaning is recommended? Or maybe at least a range of methods/products to avoid? I wonder how many other issues could be tracked down to such a simple thing as a dirty lens...

..dane
post #3967 of 3971 Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Do they recommend a particular cleaning method / product? Or how often such a cleaning is recommended? Or maybe at least a range of methods/products to avoid? I wonder how many other issues could be tracked down to such a simple thing as a dirty lens...

..dane
The OPU (laser assembly) rides on a pair of rails that need to be clean and lubed. Other than the laser lenses, those rails are the only thing that ever needs cleaning.
post #3968 of 3971 Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^^ Keep in mind that most of the time, a disc player never really needs any kind cleaning.
It is usually an extenuating circumstance that warrants it.

Sometimes certain environmental conditions can also cause the need to clean a lens,
like if your home is really dusty or from cigarette/cigar smoke, or other similar things.
Over time smoke can cause build up on the lens and require it to be cleaned to function properly.
Sometimes debris from rental discs can fall onto the laser lens and require a procedure to remove it.

The slide rails have lithium grease applied to them to make them slide nice and smooth,
and normally lasts for MANY years before it would ever start to dry out of break down.
It is extremely rare for debris to get on the rails and cause issues with the laser sliding back and forth.
Most times, when there is an issue, it's usually with something stuck on the top of the lens.
(That is, assuming there isn't a failing hardware issue that would warrant an actual replacement of parts.)

I've never heard of any manufacturer actually recommending the cleaning of the lens or rails as preventive maintenance.
It is never 'recommended' for the average consumer to go poking around inside of any kind of electronics.
If you aren't extremely careful or know what you are doing, you could easily cause serious damage to the unit by touching the wrong thing,
or by giving it a static shock that could hurt the parts inside, thus rendering it useless, and in need of repair that could be costly.
I think it's good for people to learn certain things about how to fix issues, but just make sure you are doing it the proper way,
and that you aren't getting carried away with doing things that are unnecessary,
and if you aren't comfortable doing such things, then leave it to the professionals.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #3969 of 3971 Old 03-22-2015, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The OPU (laser assembly) rides on a pair of rails that need to be clean and lubed. Other than the laser lenses, those rails are the only thing that ever needs cleaning.
The other part that might need cleaning at times is the small inner disc that the BD media rides on. I had a malfunctioning Panasonic player that came back to life perfectly after opening up the player and disc drive assembly case and:
1. cleaning the laser lenses (carefully - using denatured alcohol & a q-tip)
2. cleaning and lubricating both laser assembly rails (I used a small amount of white lithium grease)
3. cleaning the small round platter the center of the disc rides on.

I would not advocate this unless you are having a problem, the player is out of warranty, you are comfortable working with electronics & the cost to have the player serviced by the manufacturer is more than the player is worth.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 03-22-2015 at 03:43 AM.
post #3970 of 3971 Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ Yes, good point. I forgot about the disc spindle. That can sometimes get debris on it too, usually from rental discs and
the awful stickers they put on their discs. Just getting a spec of something stuck on there can cause another disc
to be raised or cockeyed ever so slightly, but possibly enough to throw off proper reading of the disc by the laser,
and thus playback issues ensue.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #3971 of 3971 Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Yes, good point. I forgot about the disc spindle. That can sometimes get debris on it too, usually from rental discs and
the awful stickers they put on their discs. Just getting a spec of something stuck on there can cause another disc
to be raised or cockeyed ever so slightly, but possibly enough to throw off proper reading of the disc by the laser,
and thus playback issues ensue.
I was surprised that the lens & loader needed cleaning; the player is tucked away in a cabinet (open at the back, though) in my little theater, in a smoke-less home.

Though I'm pretty comfortable fixing things (as a former EE), I prefer a professional repair when appropriate.

Very pleased to have my player fixed so quickly. I enjoyed a mini-marathon of ST:TOS as a celebration.
Neil S. Bulk likes this.

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page