Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #3991 of 4009 Old 04-05-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Howdy guys,

I've opened the player and cleaned up both laser lens with alcohol/q-tips, as suggested and the BD is running fine now, but no way at all to play DVD's though... it shows the very same message all the time... no disc, which leads me to believe that it's a hardware issue, as Bill said before, but you know, I'll take Dave's advice now and will re-open the player, in order to make a second cleaning on the red laser lens though... who knows??

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4009 Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lightbulb Pictures of the Oppo BDP-80's lasers

Getting access to the transport's lasers is trivially simple: just unscrew the lid, lift the tape off the drive and remove 2 screws from the drive. Lift the cover off the drive, and there are the lasers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1361298   Click image for larger version

Name:	CloseSmall.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1361306   Click image for larger version

Name:	CloserSmall.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1361314  
post #3993 of 4009 Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 AM

The reason *I* opened my BDP-80 is the same as yours: my blurays play fine, but often my DVDs from Netflix just stop playing back. Several movie nights have been thus ruined.

I'm considering selling my BDP-80 and using a cheapo Sony BDP-S570 (which plays SACDs and has component outputs at 1080i) I'll try to buy on eBay.

[Edit: I'd bought a Sony BDP-S580, and found to my disappointment that component output was restricted to 480i even for Blurays. Argh!]

Last edited by JimProuty; 04-09-2016 at 07:27 PM.
post #3994 of 4009 Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM

Question Repair or sell?

I've had my BDP-80 in for service once to Oppo for skipping of Bluray playback, and apparently cleaning the loader + lens(es) "fixed" the player.

Since then, the player has skipped at random places during both Bluray and DVD playback to the point where I can't trust the player to not ruin the movie experience. I've opened it up to see if the loader was dirty again; it wasn't as far as I could tell (pictures in a slightly earlier post).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Oppo over the years I've owned it, but I need to either get this fixed or move on.

The difficulty with "moving on" is that my little theater uses mostly Component Video (because the DVI connection on my elderly RPTV has always been flaky), and any Bluray player newer than 2011 doesn't have full-resolution component output.

Q: Should I try to repair the Oppo myself by replacing the Bluray drive? Or just settle for the cheapo Sony BDP-S570 I bought off of eBay?

(Yes, someday I'll replace the RPTV with a fancy new OLED 70" display, but that day is not today.)

I'm interested in what you might suggest.

Thanks!

--Jim
post #3995 of 4009 Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post
If it needs repair, send it to Oppo.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #3996 of 4009 Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I've had my BDP-80 in for service once to Oppo for skipping of Bluray playback, and apparently cleaning the loader + lens(es) "fixed" the player.

Since then, the player has skipped at random places during both Bluray and DVD playback to the point where I can't trust the player to not ruin the movie experience. I've opened it up to see if the loader was dirty again; it wasn't as far as I could tell (pictures in a slightly earlier post).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Oppo over the years I've owned it, but I need to either get this fixed or move on.

The difficulty with "moving on" is that my little theater uses mostly Component Video (because the DVI connection on my elderly RPTV has always been flaky), and any Bluray player newer than 2011 doesn't have full-resolution component output.

Q: Should I try to repair the Oppo myself by replacing the Bluray drive? Or just settle for the cheapo Sony BDP-S570 I bought off of eBay?

(Yes, someday I'll replace the RPTV with a fancy new OLED 70" display, but that day is not today.)

Thanks!

--Jim
Sent you a PM. I have a BDP-80 to sell.
post #3997 of 4009 Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post
Howdy guys,

I've opened the player and cleaned up both laser lens with alcohol/q-tips, as suggested and the BD is running fine now, but no way at all to play DVD's though... it shows the very same message all the time... no disc, which leads me to believe that it's a hardware issue, as Bill said before, but you know, I'll take Dave's advice now and will re-open the player, in order to make a second cleaning on the red laser lens though... who knows??

Hey avliner, any updates on this?

My BDP-80 magically has started doing the same thing.. BD's play fine, DVD's don't even register ("no disc"). When I close the tray, the bluray laser blinks a few times, the DVD laser never seems to come on.. Opened it up and tried the q-tip cleaning, no luck. Oppo says I need to send it in...

Not sure if I want to spend $100 ($65 repair, plus shipping), or try to find another Oppo BDP-xxx for around the same price.. ???

cheers,
..dane
post #3998 of 4009 Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Not sure if I want to spend $100 ($65 repair, plus shipping), or try to find another Oppo BDP-xxx for around the same price.. ???

cheers,
..dane
If you can find a working Oppo BDP for $100, buy 10 of them.
post #3999 of 4009 Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey Audiodane,

well, a re-opened the player and q-tipped once again the red laser with alcohol, to no avail and that means it's clearly a hardware issue though.

IOH, I still believe that's worth paying $100 for an ovehauling and basically get a new player back from Oppo

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #4000 of 4009 Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post
Hey Audiodane,

well, a re-opened the player and q-tipped once again the red laser with alcohol, to no avail and that means it's clearly a hardware issue though.

IOH, I still believe that's worth paying $100 for an ovehauling and basically get a new player back from Oppo

Yup, me too -- swabbing did no good.. I just mailed mine off for service today. Looking around ebay even the 80's are still going for twice the repair cost (at least)..

..dane
post #4001 of 4009 Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM

Lightbulb Not an Oppo problem, ONKYO HDMI problem.

At Oppo's instructions, I disconnected the HDMI output from the BDP-80 from the Onkyo TX NR-905 receiver, and the playback pauses ceased. I now connect the BDP-80 to the receiver using the multi-channel audio outputs and playback is perfectly fine.

That receiver is known to have "issues" with the HDMI input board. I was surprised that the audio connection would affect video playback, but HDCP is a mysterious thing.

Quote:

Thanks!

--Jim
post #4002 of 4009 Old 07-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Yup, me too -- swabbing did no good.. I just mailed mine off for service today. Looking around ebay even the 80's are still going for twice the repair cost (at least)..

Thought I would update, player was received quickly, repaired quickly, returned quickly, and has been working great ever since! ... laser was replaced, if I recall correctly from the paperwork.. I guess that just happens sometimes..

post #4003 of 4009 Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My BDP80 all of a sudden displayed the pink screen. Went through all Oppo's suggestions and sent it in for repair. They confirmed the pink screen and found its a problem with the new HDCP2.2 protocol. They developed a firmware for my player. The engineer asked if my Samsung SUHD had any recent updates which I said yes. Took them 3 days to repair. Works like a new player now.
So ya'll may see a new firmware update from Oppo so their players will continue to work with the new 4k sets.
post #4004 of 4009 Old 08-17-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post
My BDP80 all of a sudden displayed the pink screen. Went through all Oppo's suggestions and sent it in for repair. They confirmed the pink screen and found its a problem with the new HDCP2.2 protocol. They developed a firmware for my player. The engineer asked if my Samsung SUHD had any recent updates which I said yes. Took them 3 days to repair. Works like a new player now.
So ya'll may see a new firmware update from Oppo so their players will continue to work with the new 4k sets.
That was a color space error that may be unique to your particular TV. But it'll likely effect the BDP-83 players too.
post #4005 of 4009 Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post
Just amazing that they go that far supporting an older player. I've got an 83, bought my parents an 80, then doubled down and bought a 103D for my main area (83 went to the bedroom for music). Plan on getting the UHD player when it comes out.

Your story is one of the reasons I just smile when people ask me why spend the money for an Oppo. Thanks.
post #4006 of 4009 Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
That was a color space error that may be unique to your particular TV. But it'll likely effect the BDP-83 players too.
The player had no audio and a bluray was nothing but pink & yellow.
post #4007 of 4009 Old Today, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The power supply board in my BDP-80 went bad somehow. I'm way out of warranty obviously so I opened it up to take a look and it's very obvious that one of the components on the power supply board sort of exploded. It's the big black cylinder near the yellow thing. Sorry, don't know the names of these things.

Looks like it would be ridiculously easy to remove the whole board and replace it with a fresh one though. Anyone know how to get a replacement?
post #4008 of 4009 Old Today, 07:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by methnen View Post
The power supply board in my BDP-80 went bad somehow. I'm way out of warranty obviously so I opened it up to take a look and it's very obvious that one of the components on the power supply board sort of exploded. It's the big black cylinder near the yellow thing. Sorry, don't know the names of these things.

Looks like it would be ridiculously easy to remove the whole board and replace it with a fresh one though. Anyone know how to get a replacement?
Welcome to AVSForum.

Contact OPPO and see if they can help you.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #4009 of 4009 Old Today, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by methnen View Post

Yes, Oppo will fix it for a flat rate that makes it pretty much pointless to self-repair. If you go mucking about inside and make it worse, they may not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player