Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post

Ok, I guess the brain trust of AVS came to the same conclusion I was afraid of... BDP-80 is great as a pure digital transport, but if you really want the best 7.1 audio, just fork over the money for the 83SE... simply put, suck it up. :-)

Thanks for your help everyone!

Not trying to upset anyone, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between the 83 SE and 80 as far as sound quality is concerned, so you could save yourself some serious coin here by opting for the 80.

Just a thought

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player
Shaw Motorola HD 3400 PVR
Toshiba Regza 52RV535U 52" LCD HDTV
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post

One (little) disappointment is that the player does not come with the killer calibration discs that its big brother does.

It's an extra cost option.
post #453 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The big advantage of the Oppo player over other brands is the support that Oppo gives its customers.

Absolutely agree. However, that hasn't been an issue for me. My Panny35 and JVC have yet to have a problem with a single disc I've thrown at them. Heck, even my Sherwood BD player that I bought 6 months ago for $59, hasn't had an issue yet.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #454 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post

Not trying to upset anyone, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between the 83 SE and 80 as far as sound quality is concerned, so you could save yourself some serious coin here by opting for the 80.

Just a thought

You better get your flame suit on!

The 83 and 83SE will/should sound better if you are using the analog outs. Of course a lot of that depends on the quality of the rest of your equipment. There are many people here who are using very high end processors that don't have HDMI. They have to use the 7.1 analog outputs of the player and that is were the 83 and 83SE will top the performance of the 80.

If you are referring to people using HDMI for audio then your post would be correct.
post #455 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a thought

There's no evidence to support your thought as fact. Everyone who has purchased the BDP-83 and upgraded has noticed a difference between the 83 and 83SE, so yes there will be a noticeable difference between the 83SE and the BDP-80. You can always trick yourself into believing anything to justify a purchase!

Regards,
Techlord.
post #456 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

...I guess the question for me becomes what bugs are present that would bother me. I'll continue to monitor this thread to see what's revealed.

...I've already been on one firmware adventure with my Pio 51 and I do not want another.

I think you have little to worry about. The 80 is awesome, and FW adventures with OPPO have traditionally been something to look forward to with great excitement!

Gary
post #457 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

How about some of these reference BDs for AQ and the lossless track for both movies and concerts? Did the audio playback impress or at least hold its own with this player versus others in your experience?

Absolutely. The lossless audio is superb! Unless you have a high-end listening room, with equipment to match, you would be hard-pressed to hear the difference.

Of course, if you are using an HDMI connection for the lossless audio, there will be no perceptible difference at all.

Gary
post #458 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM

My Samsung BD-P2500 died the other day after only 8 months. It had been a disappointment since day one. Due to the slow load times, audio drop outs, and handshake issues I wont be paying the absurd $85 to have it refurbished after such a short time. So time for a new player.
I do love Blu Ray but after this experience I am feeling a bit jaded, and I want to make sure I get a good quality player that will work properly and last.
So generally speaking how is the reliability of the OPPO players? From what I am reading they sound solid, and dont have issues like my samsung did. I guess I am just looking to hear any negative experiences anyone may have had with the OPPO players, just to know what to possibly expect.
Thanks,
Joe
post #459 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oppo has a super reliability reputation in my book

and to top it off I have had Oppo help with stuff even outside of warranty

-Gary
post #460 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

There's no evidence to support your thought as fact. Everyone who has purchased the BDP-83 and upgraded has noticed a difference between the 83 and 83SE, so yes there will be a noticeable difference between the 83SE and the BDP-80. You can always trick yourself into believing anything to justify a purchase!

Regards,
Techlord.

I'm almost afraid to ask you why you think these devices will sound different ...

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #461 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm almost afraid to ask you why you think these devices will sound different ...

You do understand that we are talking about the 7.1 ANALOG outputs, right???

They would sound different because they use higher quality DACs. (Digital to Analog Converters)
post #462 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a thought

If you are referring to HDMI output, I will agree with you. The discussion which you quoted was related to someone with a surround processor (a very good quality one, by the way) that does not support HDMI at all. Thus, the issue at hand was solely limited to the analog output. I haven't heard the BDP-83SE's analog output, but I have heard the BDP-83 and BDP-80 analog outputs. I'd love to tell the guy that there's no difference, but I'd have to lie to him to do that. The conversion from digital to analog is one that is most definitely influenced by hardware, and the three players in question (BDP-80, BDP-83, and BDP-83SE) all use different hardware to achieve that task. The difference in cost between the three players is due in part to those specific parts.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #463 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

If you are referring to HDMI output, I will agree with you. The discussion which you quoted was related to someone with a surround processor (a very good quality one, by the way) that does not support HDMI at all. Thus, the issue at hand was solely limited to the analog output. I haven't heard the BDP-83SE's analog output, but I have heard the BDP-83 and BDP-80 analog outputs. I'd love to tell the guy that there's no difference, but I'd have to lie to him to do that. The conversion from digital to analog is one that is most definitely influenced by hardware, and the three players in question (BDP-80, BDP-83, and BDP-83SE) all use different hardware to achieve that task. The difference in cost between the three players is due in part to those specific parts.

There isn't any "noise" you would be likely to hear from a different DAC in the analog circuit. That was solved many moons ago, like back in the 1980s.

You can definitely pay more for a different DAC, but you are almost certainly not going to hear it because the signal to noise ratio is so low already. And the frequency response is pretty much flat as a board, also.

Now then, surround processors are a possible area of differentiation in sound but that seems pretty unlikely these days, too.

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #464 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
So, those of you who have bought one already, have you been buying either of the extended warranty options? Would you recommend it?

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #465 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post

"Universal" has a much different meaning than it did when Oppo started thanks to mandatory region lock. I think there are several people like me who bought an Oppo DVD player because it would play any DVD produced anywhere on earth but wasn't made of cheapo hacked together hardware. I understand the realities of Blu Ray licensing tied their hands and I'm not saying they should have hidden any features like that because the BDA represents BIG businesses. It just makes both of Oppo's Blu-ray models irrelevant to me personally.

I guess you missed post # 18 in this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=18

A $69 upgrade takes care of the nasty BDA meanies.
post #466 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

So, those of you who have bought one already, have you been buying either of the extended warranty options? Would you recommend it?

The thing about OPPO warranties...
They can be purchased anytime during the original warranty period.
Since OPPO players have a full 1 yr warranty, you'd actually have 355 days to think about it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #467 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Used price of Oppo players are unpredictable. I recently sold my 970 for about $70. At one time they were selling at or above list price (due to the upconversio over component I think).
post #468 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshmrb View Post

My Samsung BD-P2500 died the other day after only 8 months. It had been a disappointment since day one. Due to the slow load times, audio drop outs, and handshake issues I wont be paying the absurd $85 to have it refurbished after such a short time. So time for a new player.
I do love Blu Ray but after this experience I am feeling a bit jaded, and I want to make sure I get a good quality player that will work properly and last.
So generally speaking how is the reliability of the OPPO players? From what I am reading they sound solid, and dont have issues like my samsung did. I guess I am just looking to hear any negative experiences anyone may have had with the OPPO players, just to know what to possibly expect.
Thanks,
Joe

Reliability of OPPO players is well above average compared to other OEMs.
OPPO takes great care in trying to use parts that are both quality and allows the player to be affordable to the buyer, thus creating a real value to their customers.

Their players also come standard with a full 1 yr warranty, and if anything should happen during that period, you are covered by their warranty... and for the most part, those who do need service usually report a very fast turn around time from OPPO.
Just as well, the history of OPPO service and support has revealed that they even offer VERY affordable repair service for players that are no longer under warranty.

No matter how you slice it, the overall experience of owning an OPPO product is much less stressful than from other OEMs like Samsung and the like. ESPECIALLY Samsung! Been there, done that, never going back.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #469 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Used price of Oppo players are unpredictable. I recently sold my 970 for about $70. At one time they were selling at or above list price (due to the upconversio over component I think).

Yes, but at this time component connections for modern home theater electronics is all but dead.
In it's time, the 970 was definitely a sweet player. I owned one and loved it. However, it's old enough now that it's resale value is pretty much gone since newer players offer more value for better prices.

You just can't hold on to stuff forever.
I've got older gear sitting in boxes that I will have to practically give away in order to be rid of it. Some stuff holds value better than others, but eventually most of it becomes almost worthless if you hold on to it TOO long.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #470 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post

"Universal" has a much different meaning than it did when Oppo started thanks to mandatory region lock. I think there are several people like me who bought an Oppo DVD player because it would play any DVD produced anywhere on earth but wasn't made of cheapo hacked together hardware. I understand the realities of Blu Ray licensing tied their hands and I'm not saying they should have hidden any features like that because the BDA represents BIG businesses. It just makes both of Oppo's Blu-ray models irrelevant to me personally.

Unless you have SACD and/or DVD-Audio collections I don't see any real advantages to this player over the multitude of major brand models available at a lower price.

A $70 DIY mod kit from bluraychip.dk, a screwdriver, a stiff Bourbon and a brisk 10-15 minutes and you'll have a 'universal' blu ray player in the meaning that you have in mind.

If you not comfortable with DIY, just google 'region free blu ray player+oppo' and you'll come across a number of sites where you can get an 83 modded from a third party company. I got my region free modded 83 last October from 220-electronics.com for $600 - see here
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/O..._code_free.htm

Heck if I'd known about bluraychip.dk back then, I'd have done the DIY thing myself and saved $20 for a drink

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #471 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Reliability of OPPO players is well above average compared to other OEMs.
OPPO takes great care in trying to use parts that are both quality and allows the player to be affordable to the buyer, thus creating a real value to their customers.

Their players also come standard with a full 1 yr warranty, and if anything should happen during that period, you are covered by their warranty... and for the most part, those who do need service usually report a very fast turn around time from OPPO.
Just as well, the history of OPPO service and support has revealed that they even offer VERY affordable repair service for players that are no longer under warranty.

No matter how you slice it, the overall experience of owning an OPPO product is much less stressful than from other OEMs like Samsung and the like. ESPECIALLY Samsung! Been there, done that, never going back.

This is what I like to hear. Looks like I'll be getting an OPPO. Now what the hell do I do with this bunk Samsung unit????
post #472 of 3937 Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is what I like to hear. Looks like I'll be getting an OPPO. Now what the hell do I do with this bunk Samsung unit????

I know that there must be dog owners with pitbull's in your area! Through them a bone!
post #473 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you tie it to the back of your car and drag it down the road, all the while videotaping the whole process, I will send you $10.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #474 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:

You just can't hold on to stuff forever.
I've got older gear sitting in boxes that I will have to practically give away in order to be rid of it. Some stuff holds value better than others, but eventually most of it becomes almost worthless if you hold on to it TOO long.

Yeah, same here. Speakers and amps will plateau (or I guess that would be 'valley'?), but sources and processors are more subject to the analogy of Moore's Law.
post #475 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:

So would you recommmend putting the extra $ in wire and cable instead?
post #476 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 03:42 AM

What is meant exactly by "region locked?" The 80 won't play movies that are filmed in Europe & Asia?
post #477 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 AM

Don't think I've seen it addressed here, or if it can be at this point, but any idea how soon Logitech/Oppo get together and have this device listed and available for download? Any recollection how long it took to get the BDP-83 up on their site after its introduction?
post #478 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

What is meant exactly by "region locked?" The 80 won't play movies that are filmed in Europe & Asia?

It will only play DVDs from region 1 and Blu-rays from region A. Same as the the BDP-83.

-Bill
post #479 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post

Don't think I've seen it addressed here, or if it can be at this point, but any idea how soon Logitech/Oppo get together and have this device listed and available for download? Any recollection how long it took to get the BDP-83 up on their site after its introduction?

The -80 and -83 use the same remote codes. Can you use the -83 entry in the database?

-Bill
post #480 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 AM

Good ... I was hoping that was the answer. Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page