post #541 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Kemiza, I don't think anyone could see any difference in Blu-Ray quality on either the BDP83 or BDP80. The difference as has been stated in on upscailing standard disks. This is where the BDP83 shines with the Abit processor. I have been using the BDP80 for several months and I also own a BDP83. I see no difference in Blu-Ray quality.

BDP80 Beta Tester.

I understand there should be no difference with 1080p/24 BR discs. What about 1080i/60 BR discs? Did you notice any difference between the 83 and 80 on those discs? I know there aren't a lot of 1080i/60 BR discs but I do have a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

My error. Yep either thread is fine.

NP, the SE was thrown into the mix as an even greater difference from the BDP-80 and the BDP83, I can't wait until there are review of all four Oppo players!

The BDP-80, BDP-83, BDP-83SE and BDP-83SE NuForce Edition, that would make for a long review taking up the whole magazine!

Techlord.
post #543 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

How big a difference is there between them in SD conversion? I have a large library of SD DVDs and upscalling is important. Is the BDP80 a huge drop off from the BDP83? Or does it do a good job? Can your describe the difference?

And I emailed oppo about netflix. This was their (very quick) reply:

We are looking into NetFlix and other streaming services, but we do not know when, or if, we will be able to add additional content to the BDP-80 or BDP-83/SE through a simple firmware upgrade.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Kemiza, I don't think anyone could see any difference in Blu-Ray quality on either the BDP83 or BDP80. The difference as has been stated in on upscailing standard disks. This is where the BDP83 shines with the Abit processor. I have been using the BDP80 for several months and I also own a BDP83. I see no difference in Blu-Ray quality.

BDP80 Beta Tester.

post #544 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

How big a difference is there between them in SD conversion? I have a large library of SD DVDs and upscalling is important. Is the BDP80 a huge drop off from the BDP83? Or does it do a good job? Can your describe the difference?

Mindwarper, check out the first page - there are some reviews and numerous discussion of the picture quality of dvds upconverted between the two. Gonk wrote a very informative review with photos. Synthetic test results are included via my signature and my quick review is also linked on the first page.
post #545 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh View Post

does it makes sense to wait for 3d player or just get a oppo? pls suggest

amitsingh

Only if 3D is important to you. Also, my understanding is that the PS3 will be upgradeable to 3D via firmware.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #546 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGadget View Post

I suspect the BDP80 will sound just fine for those of us who don't rely on a Blu-ray player as a piece of audiophile equipment.

When I want to listen to music sources at an audiophile level, I have a separate Music Fidelity system utilizing external power amps, feeding floor-standing B&W speakers through pure silver wires. The sound is amazing.

My home theater setup also sounds sweet, but I don't need it to compete with the Music Fidelity stuff. When I want to watch a Blu-ray movie or listen to an SACD disk, I just want to be immersed in the experience. My AV Amp is an old Denon model with 7.1 analog inputs. It has its own set of B&W speakers to play with.

I used to have a Pioneer Elite DV-45A CD/DVD/SACD player connected to the analog inputs and it sounded great to me. I then replaced it with the Panasonic DMP-BD80. It also sounded great. Tomorrow, the BDP80 will connect to those analog inputs. I have no doubt it will sound equally as great.

Great post. I love your attitude.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #547 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM

WRT some discussion on the previous page about subwoofer crossover selection, the directionality of the bass frequencies below 80-100 Hz is one valid reason for crossing there. Also, these are not brickwall 24+db/octave rolloffs, so starting the crossover an octave above the -3db point of your speakers is a good idea. And if you do have multiple speakers outputting bass frequencies would you not get into more issues of cumulative nodes/modes and potentially make it harder to even out the room response compared to a single bass source?
post #548 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post

Not trying to upset anyone, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between the 83 SE and 80 as far as sound quality is concerned, so you could save yourself some serious coin here by opting for the 80.

Just a thought

post #549 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I suspect the BDP80 will sound just fine for those of us who don't rely on a Blu-ray player as a piece of audiophile equipment.

When I want to listen to music sources at an audiophile level, I have a separate Music Fidelity system utilizing external power amps, feeding floor-standing B&W speakers through pure silver wires. The sound is amazing.

Yeah, I too have and have had separate 2-channel setups - crap, I still own 3 turntables - but the quality of the audio gear is at least 2nd down the list of most important factors influencing quality sound behind the room (and arguably 3rd behind the recording). Being able to take bitstream into a receiver or prepro with Audyssey for room correction probably yields more sonic benefit for most people than does expensive gear and cables (and I have had both, and have friends with even more).

If you invest the effort and expense into a very well-treated room (or have standalone Lyngdorf or Audyssey or TacT room correction) then I will retract the above - but few people own the latter, and probably fewer still have the technical chops for really good DIY or have retained that expertise - or even have a room without such serious geometrical or WAF compromises as to make the exercise meaningful.

I have heard modest equipment in a great room sound great, and I have heard great gear in an awful room sound awful (ever been to CES/THE/RMAF?)
post #550 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post

So would you recommmend putting the extra $ in wire and cable instead?

No, avoid the Monster Cables of the world like the plague--unless you have a lot of money and not much sense

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player
Shaw Motorola HD 3400 PVR
Toshiba Regza 52RV535U 52" LCD HDTV
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #551 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae View Post

Expected more of a backlash, but I, for one, applaud you, Sitting Bull. This is the AV SCIENCE Forum. I believe there is no discernable difference between DACs these days and am still waiting for an ABX test that proves otherwise. If there is one, great, I'll be the first to eat crowe. But, that many have heard discernable differences outside the parameters of a true double blind test, means nothing to me.
Now, this doesn't mean that I feel the 83SE is an unjustifiable purchase/upgrade. It is overbuilt with a beefier power supply, for example. That can increase a person's pride in ownership. And, for many, knowing that something else is available that is even possibly better is too much to stand. If that's what stands between you and enjoying the sound, then nothing anyone says is going to change it. If you can afford the SE, and buying it doesn't short money you would otherwise spend on speakers, might as well go for it!

Ahh, an eminently sensible man

Yes, the true scientifically conducted double blind test. The bane of the Stereopile and Obsolete Sound magazines of the world. Alas, they were last seen still holding their hands over their ears and screaming in horror as they ran in the opposite direction of the study produced by the esteemed Audio Engineering Society back in 1991, which concluded the following:

"Experience from many years of double-blind listening tests of audio equipment is summarized. The results are generally consistent with threshold estimates from psychoacoustic literature, that is, listeners often fail to prove they can hear a difference after non-controlled listening suggested that there was one. However, the fantasy of audible differences continues despite the fact of audibility thresholds."

The report is available here for the cost of $20: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=5549

It is $20 very well spent for all those on this forum who still believe there are audible differences in these sorts of devices, or are being conned into buying Monster Cable and other contraptions of that ilk.

However, sadly enough, there are still those who insist the earth is flat and smoking won't harm you.

Although I will say this; if a studio were to buy one of the Oppo offerings they would likely choose the Oppo 83 SE simply because it has balanced outputs. This will keep all their connections kosher, if you will, and not allow one of their competitors to claim their equipment isn't as good. Essentially pride of ownership, as you say. AKA vanity.

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #552 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM

I have the 83 arriving on Saturday.

I waited until the specs on the new lower end model came out.

I have a Marantz VP 11S2 that has a great up converter BUT I think I would have seconded guessed myself until I bought another BR player 2-3 years from now.

I asked over at the Marantz thread if it would help or harm the up convert if I have both the OPPO and Marantz up converting.

Greg
post #553 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB
So would you recommmend putting the extra $ in wire and cable instead?

No, avoid the Monster Cables of the world like the plague--unless you have a lot of money and not much sense

My sense displayed here was 'of humor' not 'common' ... never mind

Quote:

Ahh, an eminently sensible man

Won't delve into a DBT, parts are parts discussion, as anyone who has been around knows the camps are polarized and not likely to be persuaded by the other.

I would but ask if you might defer to one of your own esteemed men of science - Albert Einstein - who said "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." This has proven to be true in many fields, including audio.

Otherwise I would say that the person who hears the difference should be glad, and enjoy the increased pleasure it may bring. And the person who doesn't hear the difference should also rejoice, and go spend the money on more music to enjoy.

We now return this thread to its originally scheduled programming
post #554 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

amitsingh

Only if 3D is important to you. Also, my understanding is that the PS3 will be upgradeable to 3D via firmware.

Respectfully,
Willie

thanks willie
its not important but its just one of the latest and greatest sort of thing
post #555 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Now available for pre-order on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-80-Bl...4661407&sr=1-2

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #556 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post

My sense displayed here was 'of humor' not 'common' ... never mind

Humour is spelled with a u, as I just showed you. Henceforth you shall spell it correctly. However, what can I expect from a mere colonial who neither spells nor speaks the Queen's English

Yes, the debate will continue between the rational and the not so ...

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #557 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Yes, the debate will continue between the rational and the not so ...

Please take the "debate" somewhere else.
This is not a theory thread.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #558 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Can someone explain what advantages there are regarding analog connections. Is there an advantage for future 3D systems.
post #559 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Now available for pre-order on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-80-Bl...4661407&sr=1-2

I really like the cool blue display on the front, it's amazing that for $289 you get SACD and DVD-Audio via either the 7.1 analog outputs and/or HDMI 1.3 while being able to send DSD to receivers capable of processing it, 12 months ago this would have been unheard of!
post #560 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Please take the "debate" somewhere else.
This is not a theory thread.

How did you post an avatar? I've been looking all over and can't figure out how to do it!

(By the way, you are quite right about the debate. It really isn't fair of us to be so correct, is it?)

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #561 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

How did you post an avatar? I've been looking all over and can't figure out how to do it!

I think you have to be a Club Member.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #562 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I think you have to be a Club Member.

Ah, I see that filthy lucre is involved.

Alas, my purse is rather empty at the moment, as I just spent $350 having an Oppo 80 delivered to my home here in Calgary, just east of the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #563 of 3937 Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post

Can someone explain what advantages there are regarding analog connections. Is there an advantage for future 3D systems.

The main advatages are for those that don't have HDMI 1.3 inputs on our receivers or preamp processors, the 7.1 multi-channel analog output is our only way to decode SACDs, DVD-A, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. We also get to take advatage of the ESS Technology's Sabre DACs which are equal to some recently released AV receivers, some have hinted that the sound is similar to the Denon AVR-4810CI DACs, that's a $2000+ dollar unit! There are some that prefer the dedicated 2ch stereo outputs of the 83SE versus 2ch stereo over HDMI, so if you lack HDMI 1.3 input or just want killer sound for your receiver that's only a few years old, this is the ticket!

Regards,
Techlord.
post #564 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 AM

I am debating on which unit to buy (83, or 80). I had a couple of questions, which I emailed directly, regarding scaling and large screen reference. I returned an LG BDP-390 for some issues and have been using my PS3 as my BR player, hence the PS3 reference in the response. Here is what I got in the reply.

De-interlacing and scaling on the BDP-83 will be superior to the BDP-80. However, the performance differences between these two players can be very small depending on the quality of your source material. For the most part the BDP-80 will offer comparable de-interlacing and scaling to the PS3.

BluTV and DLNA streaming may become a part of the BDP-80, but we do not know when this may occur.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #565 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 AM

Was going to post a question as to whether to order the Spears & Munsil disc (that comes with the 83) or not, but aftr doing some digging, only had to get thru the first page of this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131344 thread to answer that with a resounding 'Yes' ... this looks like (no pun) an amazing test disc!
post #566 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

I really like the cool blue display on the front, it's amazing that for $289 you get SACD and DVD-Audio via either the 7.1 analog outputs and/or HDMI 1.3 while being able to send DSD to receivers capable of processing it, 12 months ago this would have been unheard of!

In so far as no other "universal" player matches that price. BUT if it wasn't included I really don't think the price of the player would drop by anything drastic.

I think someone mentioned Sony will be throwing SACD into their new players. Not sure why they waited this long. I just don't think it costs all that much to do to tell the truth. It may just be because they didn't have to worry because a competitor didn't do it either or there would not be all that much interest in it.

And I mentioned elsewhere that I have one of their SD DVD players from back when that included it both for multi and 2 channel and paid $129 for it.
post #567 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

And I'm sure some folks are waiting for if this player is worth it on larger displays.

Unfortunately I will not be able to help with that as I have a smallish Samsung LCD. I plan to do comparisons versus the PS3, LG BD390 and Panny BD30 with NO picture setting adjustments within the player.

Cannot wait to get mine today. It is going to be a long day at work!
post #568 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 AM

I just placed my order and received confirmation on my BDP-80.
I need those analogue outs, as my Denon AVR does not have HDMI. Plus, I have a few SACD and DVD-A discs. It will be good to listen to them again. Hope this is just the ticket to go with my new Toshiba Local Dimming LED.
post #569 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post

If you have a receiver that can accept multichannel PCM decoded by the player, I wouldn't touch the analog connections. And it doesn't have to be an HDMI 1.3 receiver as previously stated, any version of HDMI can pass 8 channel LPCM.
post #570 of 3937 Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Hi,

is anyone using the BDP80 with a scaler from Lumagen or DVDO?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page