Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
blacklion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

any one remember which mediatek chip the jvc xv bp1 uses?

Are you insinuating this is a re-badged JVC in an Oppo box?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
blacklion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
hikinokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

too bad

It looks like they dropped abt

They should have dropped analog, component, etc and made an 83 with a single hdmi connection.

+1
hikinokie is offline  
post #33 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Are you insinuating this is a re-badged JVC in an Oppo box?

They are not. Own both. Just curious what chip the jvc uses.
winston9332 is offline  
post #34 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
blacklion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

They are not. Own both. Just curious what chip the jvc uses.

Just kidding. I know OPPO are not low down sneaky @#$%^^&*( like LexiCon

I'm definitely going to get one of these bad boys when hardware modded region free versions are out.

You couldn't by any chance speed up that review? Monday feels like a decade away, I'm so excited!

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
blacklion is offline  
post #35 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EWL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post


... sigh ...
I WAS only needing to sort my thoughts between the 83 and SE, now this ...

For right now, I am only downconverting to 720p, but it will be on a very large screen. Not sure that the VRS will be of much consequence?

For 2ch audio, is there reason to think there will be much/any difference between this and the base 83 (over either digital or analog)?

As you probably figured out by comparing the specs, the BDP80 loses the dedicated analog stereo outputs as well as DSD-direct DAC's.

For what it's worth, I own the BDP83 and it scales a lot better to 720p onto my 92" projection screen vs the Denon 3800 which has the HQV Realta. If you are in a similar situation, I highly suggest getting the BDP83 instead as I don't expect the Mediatek chip to do the job adequately on its own on a "large" screen.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
EWL5 is offline  
post #36 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 AM
 
CCONKLIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oswego IL 60543
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW. 2 page "owners thread" and no one even owns one yet! This should be a good one. I plan on ordering one on monday as well.
be interesting to hook it up downstairs and feed source direct to my onkyo 3007 and compare scaling with the 83 in my system.
Chris
CCONKLIN1 is offline  
post #37 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it is safe to assume Oppo won't offer streaming on any of there players?

The BD-80 looks like a perfect player for my setup but I would really like Netflix and other streaming options.

I also assume the BD-80 will output 480i over HDMI with SD DVDs. Will it output 1080i over component and 1080p/24fps over HDMI at the same time?
beekermartin is offline  
post #38 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

As you probably figured out by comparing the specs, the BDP80 loses the dedicated analog stereo outputs as well as DSD-direct DAC's.

For what it's worth, I own the BDP83 and it scales a lot better to 720p onto my 92" projection screen vs the Denon 3800 which has the HQV Realta. If you are in a similar situation, I highly suggest getting the BDP83 instead as I don't expect the Mediatek chip to do the job adequately on its own on a "large" screen.

What is DSD-direct DAC's? Does this matter if you want to send DSD directly to the processor via HDMI?

Edit: I think I understand. The 83 will output DSD direct over the analog and HDMI outputs. The 80 will convert it to PCM over the analog ouput. It appears they both will output DSD over HDMI.
beekermartin is offline  
post #39 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

What is DSD-direct DAC's? Does this matter if you want to send DSD directly to the processor via HDMI?

"DSD-direct DAC's" are DACs that can convert a DSD bitstream to analog without having to have the bitstream converted to PCM first. It relates solely to the analog output, so there's no need to worry about this if you are using the HDMI output for audio.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
post #40 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Huge value in this thing. I may get a few of these around the holidays to put under some trees.
vancouver is offline  
post #41 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Member
 
THE DU3C3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The BDP-80 seems like the perfect OPPO player for those of us that don't have very many DVDs anymore. I think I would have to retire my LG 390 if this player had streaming capabilities.
THE DU3C3 is offline  
post #42 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

Is it is safe to assume Oppo won't offer streaming on any of there players?

The BD-80 looks like a perfect player for my setup but I would really like Netflix and other streaming options.

I also assume the BD-80 will output 480i over HDMI with SD DVDs. Will it output 1080i over component and 1080p/24fps over HDMI at the same time?

The features and functions are pretty well detailed by Oppo, and the manual is also available:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/
rdgrimes is online now  
post #43 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The features and functions are pretty well detailed by Oppo, and the manual is also available:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/

I read all the specs and I am printing the manual now. It does say it does "source direct" so I assume that means 480i over HDMI with sd dvds. I will read the manual to verify.
beekermartin is offline  
post #44 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Too bad

It looks like they dropped ABT

They should have dropped analog, component, etc and made an 83 with a single HDMI connection.

That's what I was hoping for. A pure digital transport with ABT and HDMI output only. DVD upscaling is what usually sets Oppo apart from the crowd.

Instead we get average upscaling and a plastic face plate. For almost $300, they could have at least kept the aluminum faceplate. No plastic faceplates go in my system.
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #45 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Ant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why did they add S-Video when the bdp-83 does not have it?
Ant99 is offline  
post #46 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Member
 
mr335tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

Is it is safe to assume Oppo won't offer streaming on any of there players?

The BD-80 looks like a perfect player for my setup but I would really like Netflix and other streaming options.

I also assume the BD-80 will output 480i over HDMI with SD DVDs. Will it output 1080i over component and 1080p/24fps over HDMI at the same time?

I notice that the BD-80 has BD-Live and 1G storage. Doesn't this provide streaming capability?
mr335tr is offline  
post #47 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
img eL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant99 View Post

Why did they add S-Video when the bdp-83 does not have it?

Would u seriously use s-video? I think oppo had alot of s-video parts let over & dump it on the 80
img eL is offline  
post #48 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
uni_panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say this player hits absolutely perfect for me. I went through a major upgrade in Fall of 08 and bought the DV983. It wasn't that much longer the BDP-83 came out for not a whole lot more than what I paid for my 983. It is one of the few things I have had bad timing on so I didn't want to jump right back in on the BDP-83. I have just been using my PS3 in the meantime.

Now with this though this couldn't of worked out better and seems like a great deal. Since I have plenty of space and hookups I will just keep my DV983 hooked up anyway and use that for DVD playing and just use the 80 for blu-ray. Great news hearing about this new Oppo.
uni_panther is offline  
post #49 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Blacklac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do people still not get that this is a 980 with Bluray?! This is not a cheaper 83...
Blacklac is offline  
post #50 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Member
 
THE DU3C3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr335tr View Post

I notice that the BD-80 has BD-Live and 1G storage. Doesn't this provide streaming capability?

The streaming capabilities we're speaking of are DLNA streaming on a home network, and streaming services such as, Netflix, Vudu, and the like. BD-Live is a different animal.
THE DU3C3 is offline  
post #51 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

That's what I was hoping for. A pure digital transport with ABT and HDMI output only. DVD upscaling is what usually sets Oppo apart from the crowd.

This is comparable to the 983H/980H relationship. The 980H seems to have been a very successful player for OPPO. Since they're too small to afford to build every desirable permutation, they have to settle on the ones that are likely to be the best overall fits for their market. They have not got three player options:
  • BDP-80: entry-level player (SoC handles video processing, basic analog output)
  • BDP-83: upgraded video processing, upgraded analog output, fancier faceplate
  • BDP-83SE: further upgraded analog output and upgraded power supply

You could add several more options to this list (such as entry-level transport with no analog outputs or upgraded video processing with no analog output), but they don't do enough volume of business to justify that level of fragmentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Instead we get average upscaling and a plastic face plate. For almost $300, they could have at least kept the aluminum faceplate. No plastic faceplates go in my system.

Find another Blu-ray player priced under $300 that has an aluminum face - I can't think of one. Manufacturing aluminum faceplates costs money.

If you need an aluminum faceplate and ABT video processor, they have the BDP-83 in stock and ready to sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr335tr View Post

I notice that the BD-80 has BD-Live and 1G storage. Doesn't this provide streaming capability?

No. BD-Live doesn't guarantee streaming, it just means the player can support discs that have BD-Live content.

OPPO has been investigating options for streaming on the BDP-83 (as seen by the recent addition of DLNA support and BluTV), so at some point there may be a firmware update that adds some streaming capabilities. No guarantees, though.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
post #52 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

Is it is safe to assume Oppo won't offer streaming on any of there players?

The BD-80 looks like a perfect player for my setup but I would really like Netflix and other streaming options.

I also assume the BD-80 will output 480i over HDMI with SD DVDs. Will it output 1080i over component and 1080p/24fps over HDMI at the same time?


Page 12 of the manual states in bold letters that it will NOT output over component when it is playing a 1080p/24fps BR disc with source direct selected.

The remote has a resolution button. So changing it to 1080i when I want to use my RP CRT via component will be easy enough to do.
beekermartin is offline  
post #53 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
robertc88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 3,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

WOW. 2 page "owners thread" and no one even owns one yet! This should be a good one. I plan on ordering one on monday as well.
be interesting to hook it up downstairs and feed source direct to my onkyo 3007 and compare scaling with the 83 in my system.
Chris

Maybe for at least a week I'll be able to keep up.

I'm in on Monday as well. I was considering some other players but not now!
robertc88 is offline  
post #54 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Spackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another great player from Oppo. Nice work guys!!!

Bet this player will be awesome

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
Jon Spackman is offline  
post #55 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Its a interesting amalgamation of enhancements over the DV-980.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #56 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Spackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

Page 12 of the manual states in bold letters that it will NOT output over component when it is playing a 1080p/24fps BR disc with source direct selected.

The remote has a resolution button. So changing it to 1080i when I want to use my RP CRT via component will be easy enough to do.

Verified, picture via component drops when 1080p24 is playing with DIRECT mode on. With Auto its fine.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
Jon Spackman is offline  
post #57 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

Verified, picture via component drops when 1080p24 is playing with DIRECT mode on. With Auto its fine.

So if it is set to Auto it will ouput 1080p/24 over HDMI and 1080i over component at the same time???
beekermartin is offline  
post #58 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

This is comparable to the 983H/980H relationship. The 980H seems to have been a very successful player for OPPO. Since they're too small to afford to build every desirable permutation, they have to settle on the ones that are likely to be the best overall fits for their market.

True, but the 980 was one of the best video players available for the price when it was released, I don't think the same is true for the 80. I don't see where there will be much difference in video quality between the 80 and BD players currently available for as little as $100. They may not have SACD or DVD-A playback, but your average consumer has no use for that anyways.

Quote:


Find another Blu-ray player priced under $300 that has an aluminum face - I can't think of one. Manufacturing aluminum faceplates costs money.

I can't think of any either. It's disappointing because it would probably add less than $10 to the cost, all the SD DVD players I have owned had them, most were under $200, some under $100.
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #59 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

True, but the 980 was one of the best video players available for the price when it was released, I don't think the same is true for the 80. I don't see where there will be much difference in video quality between the 80 and BD players currently available for as little as $100. They may not have SACD or DVD-A playback, but your average consumer has no use for that anyways.

Average consumer? That not the target market for OPPO, is it?

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #60 of 3937 Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Member
 
simpucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the Oppo BDP-80 has a new video section, I wonder if the zoom functionality of the Oppo BDP-83 has been retained.

I read on these boards that the BDP-83 has a special zoom mode that is perfect for letterboxed fullscreen DVDs (the ones with black bars to the left, right and to the top and bottom).

If somebody who got their hands on the BDP-80 could test this, that would be great. BTW, by design, the zoom modes are not supposed to be functioning in Source Direct mode.

Thank you.
simpucker is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off