Official OPPO BDP-80 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rubbin' my paws together. Delivery is shown for Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 AM

Have Oppo removed the DTS re-encode option on the BDP-80?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk128 View Post

Re-encode?

-Bill
Old 01-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppurpleman View Post

Mine made it. I got it installed and hooked up. Pretty easy to setup. Listening to CDs right now. I will watch some Blu-rays over the weekend. So far so good. This unit is replacing a Panasonic BD-35.

Do you notice a 2-second audio dropout at the beginning of CD's? My -80 has that problem. Oppo managed to fix this with the -83. I had hoped it would no happen with the -80.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason978 View Post

how do you think the bd80 compares to the bd35 in terms of speed and dvd upconversion?

Haven't played any videos or movies yet just music.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkan View Post

Do you notice a 2-second audio dropout at the beginning of CD's? My -80 has that problem. Oppo managed to fix this with the -83. I had hoped it would no happen with the -80.

I didn't really notice but I wasn't paying that much attention to it. I'll check it out tonight.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Turn off "Auto Play" in your setup menu. This won't affect the play of DVDs and BDs though, just the CDs and SACDs.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1;18024357
I know buddy. We're just messing with ya. Why all this worrying about the 7.1 analog output for the BDP-80? I'll betcha it sounds just as good as any BD player for [s
View Post

boomoos[/s] Blu-ray movies like Gamer (2009) on a typical system. Not unless you have one of those high$peed amps and speakers pushing multichannel analog audio, I'll just sit back and enjoy the movie... awndno?

the Oppo 80 will be on the buy list when our CDN dealer has it...

I run a multi channel analogue pre-amp system and 7.1 is important to me as it's my only option.

I have an archaic Panny BD10a so the Oppo will definitely win on every count (load speeds/dts-ma). as long as the sound on the 7.1 out isn't offensive (bright, harsh and muddy - the panny wasn't), it'll be a great upgrade for all the right reason.

the 83 or 83se were over kill for what I wanted. a modern fast BD player (I don't want a CD player). I knew from day one, most Blu-ray playback at 1080p60 or 1080p24 were good enough. I don't playback DVD's anymore and if I do, I'm already happy with the upconvert. I actually have a decent Key Digital video processor, so it can easily handle 480i or 1080i60 source direct.

in the end, get the technical side out of the way (slow load speeds, unplayable disk, incomplete audio support) and let me watch a good movie.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiehead View Post

the Oppo 80 will be on the buy list when our CDN dealer has it...

I run a multi channel analogue pre-amp system and 7.1 is important to me as it's my only option.

I have an archaic Panny BD10a so the Oppo will definitely win on every count (load speeds/dts-ma). as long as the sound on the 7.1 out isn't offensive (bright, harsh and muddy - the panny wasn't), it'll be a great upgrade for all the right reason.

the 83 or 83se were over kill for what I wanted. a modern fast BD player (I don't want a CD player). I knew from day one, most Blu-ray playback at 1080p60 or 1080p24 were good enough. I don't playback DVD's anymore and if I do, I'm already happy with the upconvert. I actually have a decent Key Digital video processor, so it can easily handle 480i or 1080i60 source direct.

in the end, get the technical side out of the way (slow load speeds, unplayable disk, incomplete audio support) and let me watch a good movie.

Couldn't agree with you more buddy. Stop worrying about the small things and enjoy the show. The BDP-80 is not a POS nor a slouch when it comes to performance. I am looking forward to how it's gonna clobber these Samsungs, Sonys, Panasonics, Pioneers, and LGs in a national shootout publication. It's gonna beat them like OPPO owns them!

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how do you think the bd80 compares to the bd35 in terms of speed and dvd upconversion?

I've done several BD reviews and the BDP-80 is consistently faster than BD-35 in terms of loading. Its biggest competition is the PS3. These two units seems to be head to head and very close beating each other out on every other disc.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Re-encode?

-Bill

No. When Secondary Audio is set to On and the BD contains secondary audio track or the annoying menu clicking sound, legacy and lossless audio codecs are re-encoded to DTS. I think this is the normal behavior of the BDP-83 as well as some Samsung BD players.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Re-encode?

-Bill

I think what he may be referring to is the reencode of "core audio".
Like when lossless is sent to a non compatible device and the core audio is played, and whether or not the original audio would be Dolby THD or DTS HD-MA, the core is reencoded as DTS no matter what.
I'm not sure what the BDP-80 does with regard to that scenario though.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Turn off "Auto Play" in your setup menu. This won't affect the play of DVDs and BDs though, just the CDs and SACDs.

What is this supposed to help?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:

In my opinion, the BDP-80 looks a bit more natural than the BD35. The BD-35 is very good, but just looks a little more processed. The BDP-80 does an excellent job and on a couple of good looking film-based DVDs I compared, it looked extremely close to the BDP-83 on my 60" lcos display. As far as speed, the Oppo blows it away.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

No success. The -80 drops the first couple of seconds of some CD's. This happens only on certain CD's, not all. I even notice this on the Beatles Love DVD disc. I can watch the display count the first two seconds then the sound comes in abruptly.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Did you listen to multi-channel or 2ch stereo? I'm waiting for my Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon along with Brothers in Arms Dire - Straits, also I noticed after I bought it it said import, does that mean I will be able to play it being in the US?

Regards,
Techlord.

CD's SACD's and DVD-A's are region free.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Just signed for mine from the FedEx guy. Now an agonizing afternoon at work (and possibly longer as the wife wants to go out tonight, so I'm gonna have to wait till after that)!

Got my HDMI cable run through the basement and into the family room last night though, so setup should be quick (unplug DV-980H or Denon DVM-745, plug in BDP80 and connect to network).

rp
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkan View Post

No success. The -80 drops the first couple of seconds of some CD's. This happens only on certain CD's, not all. I even notice this on the Beatles Love DVD disc. I can watch the display count the first two seconds then the sound comes in abruptly.

It's an HDMI handshake. On some systems it will be longer than others. Use of analog output avoids the issue. SPDIF may also avoid it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Long shot but if by any chance anyone here has a Yamaha DVD-S2300 they use for SACD & DVD-A and happen to get this player, I'd love to here your thoughts on the sound comparisons via the MCH outputs. The more I think about upgrading my pre/pro the more I don't see a reason to do so. I already love the way my setup sounds, my TV has plenty of HDMI inputs and if I get one of the Oppo BD players I will get the new sound formats and be able to retire the Yamaha universal player. I currently use a Panasonic BD35 or I can use my PS3 for BD playback in my main system.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I think what he may be referring to is the reencode of "core audio".
Like when lossless is sent to a non compatible device and the core audio is played, and whether or not the original audio would be Dolby THD or DTS HD-MA, the core is reencoded as DTS no matter what.
I'm not sure what the BDP-80 does with regard to that scenario though.

Primary audio, no matter what codec (DD, DD+, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA) is decoded first, then mixed with secondary audio and annoying menu clicking sound, then lastly re-encoded to DTS bitstream for final output. The above scenario is irrelevant when Secondary Audio is set to OFF.

Wished OPPO would have came up with "Auto" for secondary audio. But I'll take the subtitle and OSD shifts as a fair tradeoff. Maybe one of these days, the elusive, highly sought after, Barney's BDP-80 Audio Output Chart will appear in this thread, buddy?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

Primary audio, no matter what codec (DD, DD+, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA) is decoded first, then mixed with secondary audio and annoying menu clicking sound, then lastly re-encoded to DTS bitstream for final output. The above scenario is irrelevant when Secondary Audio is set to OFF.

Wished OPPO would have came up with "Auto" for secondary audio. But I'll take the subtitle and OSD shifts as a fair tradeoff.

Ya, I'm not what you'd call well versed with the mixing and matching of SA and core audio and all that, since I rarely ever use it.

Quote:

Maybe one of these days, the elusive, highly sought after, Barney's BDP-80 Audio Output Chart will appear in this thread, buddy?

Better late than never I suppose.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Better late than never I suppose.

Hey, I'm having more fun watching boomoos with the OPPO BDP-80 than a one legged man at an ars-kicking contest at the State Fair these days. MJ's: This Is It was rocking the house for the past couple days! Eventually the chart will be completed.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

There seems to be quite a lot of hand-wringing over the issue of whether this player is good for large displays. Perhaps a couple of otherwise obvious things need to be pointed out....

For Blu-ray disc playback, the BDP-80 is equal to the BDP-83. This is even stated by Oppo.

For SD DVD playback, one would do well to keep in mind that nearly all major brand Blu-ray players released in the past year and a half or so use SoC solutions (system on a chip), many of those inferior to the Mediatek solution used in the BDP-80.

So, unless one is in the market for a player of the caliber of the BDP-83, or if streaming low res video is a deal-breaker, anyone considering spending $200 to $300 on a major brand BD player would be foolish to not consider the BDP-80. The worst you will get with the BDP-80 is one of the best BD/DVD players on the market.

Now, with that off my chest, I wanted to say I am mightily impressed with the build of this new player and the packaging Oppo uses. I had the player delivered to work so I have only had a chance to open the box and fondle, er, I mean, examine the contents. The packaging is the best I have seen of any retail product I have sold. I'm a dealer for Sony, Pioneer Elite, LG, among others, and the build of this player is equivalent to something that would say "Sony ES" on the front. It is certainly a cut above the players currently being sold by Sony (standard), LG, Pioneer, Samsung, and just about every other player I have seen.

And this is the cheap one!?

I can't wait to plug it in.

Well I remember reading why you didn't go for the 83 per se and for much of the same reasons I didn't want to as well.

Well folks, just let me say first these last 3 days of waiting for it was as hard as the waiting months for a new release I ever wanted.

I didn't have lots of quality time with the audio last night because the player arrived later than I expected and I got engrossed in something else beforehand I had to do and put off so figured I should get it out of the way.

With volume low and wanting to really set my attention to the PQ first off anyway, the initial impression began. I wasn't planning to do comparisons for a week or so besides with my other players.

The more BDs I tried, I have a smallish Samsung LCD, the more I felt this player was very good for the price. I have three others (PS3, LG BD390, and Panny BD30) and I paid more for each of those and we all know only the PS3 included SACD for which I have many discs. I have a separate music system but I'll eventually try some discs with my Onkyo SR605 for kicks.

The player is rather thin and I set its feet on hockey pucks to give it a bigger sense of presence in my rack. It isn't a looker per se but I would not call it ugly by any stretch.

The remote is very nicely laid out. I very much like the bigger buttons and the directional buttons actually pointing appropriately. It gives me a feel for them besides just memorization. Each button is fairly well spaced so no hitting more than one and also by accident hitting top menu, pop up, etc like some remotes are designed right along side the directional ones.

Time will tell and I have lots more to watch and listen to besides doing comparisons for evaluation purposes.

Load times? Pretty fast and probably better than 90% of the players out there so really nothing to complain about.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Couldn't agree with you more buddy. Stop worrying about the small things and enjoy the show. The BDP-80 is not a POS nor a slouch when it comes to performance. I am looking forward to how it's gonna clobber these Samsungs, Sonys, Panasonics, Pioneers, and LGs in a national shootout publication. It's gonna beat them like OPPO owns them!

woo hoo...the canadian store that brings in Oppo stuff, just posted the 80 for local pick up next week. Order placed!!

it's actually cheaper than the Pioneer320 (non sale prices) I was about to buy before the Oppo 80 was announced.

although I've gotten used to the slow load times and DTS-HD on my Panny bdp-10a, I fully expect this Oppo to settle all my nagging issues with Blu-ray playback. and it will finally be a treat to use.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Wished OPPO would have came up with "Auto" for secondary audio. But I'll take the subtitle and OSD shifts as a fair tradeoff. Maybe one of these days, the elusive, highly sought after, Barney's BDP-80 Audio Output Chart will appear in this thread, buddy?

Secondary audio is important to me, so I thought about this before ordering my -80. The PS3 still has no equal in its handling of this feature, AFAIK; alone among BD players it can mix secondary audio with lossless primary and send it out as LPCM with complete transparency to the user. Even if you are bitstreaming on a Slim, if you enable a secondary audio feature the player will switch to LPCM to maintain lossless primary audio. You never have to enter a player menu.

For the moment I am keeping my PS3 in my system for DLNA and gaming, so I will continue to have the option of using it for titles like "Band of Brothers" with its compelling PIP commentary. If/when DLNA is enabled on the -80 I'll have to re-evaluate.

But I agree that this should be automatic; even if the player can't maintain lossless from the primary track, a player should be able to deliver all of the features available on the disc menu without requiring a setup change.

To the Beta testers: Was this issue ever addressed by Oppo, regarding either the -80 or the -83?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

But I agree that this should be automatic; even if the player can't maintain lossless from the primary track, a player should be able to deliver all of the features available on the disc menu without requiring a setup change.

To the Beta testers: Was this issue ever addressed by Oppo, regarding either the -80 or the -83?

There was some discussion about switching Secondary Audio on and off manually, which might make an auto setting feasible. See Can I toggle Secondary Audio on and off without using the setup menu?

My opinion is that a semi-muted high def audio background to a yak track is not that important. The core audio is sufficient.

-Bill
Old 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I've done several BD reviews and the BDP-80 is consistently faster than BD-35 in terms of loading. Its biggest competition is the PS3. These two units seems to be head to head and very close beating each other out on every other disc.

Any difference in PQ between the BD-35 and the BDP-80 when playing blu-rays? Or is it like everyone pretty much says -- all blu-rays players are pretty much the same for basic 1080p playback?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Are HDMI audio out and digital coax audio out available simultaneously?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Yes.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiehead View Post

woo hoo...the canadian store that brings in Oppo stuff, just posted the 80 for local pick up next week. Order placed!!

What Canadian store are you referring to? I'm in Ontario and can't wait to get my hands on the new Oppo. Been checking SolutionsAV site daily but no BDP-80 listed yet.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player