Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Huh! I wasn't aware they used any of the better Faroudja chips in any of their processors. I thought it was either the crappy outdated Faroudja, or the HQV.

EDIT: Yes, I see now looking at their 7 series, that they did change the game a bit. Lower tier Onyo gets Faroudja Edge (not to be confused with DVDO Edge), then it goes to Faroudja Cinema for the middle of the series, then onto HQV for the high end of the series.
I'm not familiar with the Cinema chip, so I've no idea how it compares to the chip in the BDP-80.

OK, I sat down and watched my DVD of REO Speedwagon's "Live in the Heartland" concert, which was broadcast on PBS last year. On track 9 (called "Back on the Road Again"), near the end, there is a lengthy musical climax where the light show goes crazy with strobing lights and colour changes. This is a torture test for any DVD player or upscaling chip, and I don't know if there is a player on earth that can display it properly. It may be that the DVD format itself is unable to hold sufficient information to render it properly. In any event, I could not really tell any difference between the Oppo 80's chip or the Onkyo 180's Faroudja Cinema chip. If pressed I would have to give the Cinema chip the edge, but it would be very slight indeed!

And that's the best I can do, short of a test disc.

If anyone else out there has the REO Speedwagon DVD maybe they can try out the same song and see how it displays for them on their system. Please let us know.

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player
Shaw Motorola HD 3400 PVR
Toshiba Regza 52RV535U 52" LCD HDTV
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 AM

I have a question about a couple video files I downloaded but cannot get to play on my Oppo 80. They are from HD Nation and can be downloaded here:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect....r--hd.h264.mp4

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect....20p30.h264.mp4

Perhaps there is something about them that is incompatible with any Oppo, I don't know. They also have two smaller high definition files that I haven't tried yet. I'll see when I have time.

But any insight will be helpful to me.

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #723 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post

I have a question about a couple video files I downloaded but cannot get to play on my Oppo 80. They are from HD Nation and can be downloaded here:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect....r--hd.h264.mp4

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect....20p30.h264.mp4

Perhaps there is something about them that is incompatible with any Oppo, I don't know. They also have two smaller high definition files that I haven't tried yet. I'll see when I have time.

But any insight will be helpful to me.

.mp4 files are not supported. Media file support on the BDP-80 is the same as the BDP-83. See: What are the supported media file types?

-Bill
post #724 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

.mp4 files are not supported. Media file support on the BDP-80 is the same as the BDP-83. See: What are the supported media file types?

-Bill

OK, that answers that question. The Oppo just couldn't see them on my thumb drive at all.

Is there a free program that will transcode the mp4 files to something like HD .mkv?

The .mkv files should work, no?

Onkyo HT-RC 180 AVR
Magnepan MMG speakers
JBL surround speakers
Soundstage 8" subwoofer
post #725 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

OK, that answers that question. The Oppo just couldn't see them on my thumb drive at all.

Is there a free program that will transcode the mp4 files to something like HD .mkv?

The .mkv files should work, no?

MKV is a supported container type. The audio and video codecs inside the container would have to be supported also.

Free programs: I think there are a bunch, but I haven't collected links. It's a bit off topic here. Try the HTPC forum, or videohelp.com for specific conversions.

-Bill
post #726 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

You can also buy the backlit remote directly from OPPO, if you should decide later that you want one after you've already purchased the player. Course it will cost a few bucks more, plus shipping too.
For $9.50, it's a no brainer if you ask me.

Any idea how much that remote is if bought seperately? I did not find the option on oppodigital.com

I might just buy the BDP-80 w/ standard remote from a European reseller and order the upgraded remote from California.
post #727 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkan View Post

Sorry. I didn't look. Getting a new Oppo is a bit like having an opportunity for sex. You don't waste time asking lots of questions. You just dive under the covers and hit the play button!

yea, you should treat your OPPO like your fine lady friend(s) , with a lot of TLC. Here are some rules to live by with the OPPO BDP-80 and its remote:
  1. Limit the number of times AB REPLAY and REPEAT are used during playback.
  2. Consider the LIGHT button in the dark only as a last resort during playback. Get familiar with the layout and kinda get a "feel" of where everything is located. To some women, light's on is an indication it's all over with.
  3. Try a different ANGLE when presented with this option.
  4. When FFW or REV during playback, vary the speed to your advantage. Remember it's about getting the quality out of it, not quantity.
  5. It is critical you know the difference between the GREEN and YELLOW bookmark buttons. You want to store some crucial moments and take breaks in between, but at the same time do not want to accidental recall old less desired memories, especially during the climax.
  6. If your POP-UP MENU is not displaying properly, you may have to change your TOP MENU position first, or vice versa.
  7. You may have to redo your SETUP to check handshaking and source direct issues. Also make sure your HDMI cable is plugged securely and tight behind the unit.
  8. Invoking the SAP button for secondary audio can be misleading and fake. Remember the "i" button is for your information only. You can not change things in there. Thus, does it the really matter?
  9. Lastly, it's not good news if she is considering ZOOM during playback...

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #728 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post

Just ordered this ... got my AVR-4310ci yesterday...

I don't know if you noticed the 4310's specs, but the video scaler in the Denon is the ABT 2010, the very same solution used in the BDP-83. Setting the 80's HDMI video output to "Source Direct" to the Denon 4310 gets you the same benefits of the BDP-83 for DVD playback.
post #729 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 AM

Yes, Robert, that is precisely why I went with the 80 rather than 83/SE ... I wanted to do source direct and let the AVR do all the processing. Also went with 4310 as first model to get MultiEQ-XT and DSX. Thought about keeping my older non-HDMI pre-pro and going 83, but in the end decided it was worth it to get room correction.
post #730 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpucker View Post

Any idea how much that remote is if bought seperately? I did not find the option on oppodigital.com

I might just buy the BDP-80 w/ standard remote from a European reseller and order the upgraded remote from California.

If you buy the BDP-80 from OPPO directly, you can pick the backlit remote when you check out. See this order page. If you order from elsewhere, I don't know how you would go about getting the backlit remote.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #731 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:

eRightSoft's SUPER should work.
post #732 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen enough in two days that I'm not running back or would be missing the PS3, Panny BD30, LG BD390 as far is I'm concerned at this point for BD playback quality. I'll do comparisions down the road but at least I know I'm pretty much good to go and more than likely it will be a wash more than anything else.

Now for a bit of a surprise. I tried a few SACDs with the analog outs and I felt the playback was was quite good. Not alot of people are going to buy the player specifically because it includes the format but it may give some folks a push who may be even remotedly interested in it especially if they never experienced it. I don't feel you would be disappointed based upon what I heard and I have the Onkyo SR605 for which most probably have better. I also feel players go through a break in period for audio so it may even get better. It was fairly open and detailed from the get go which is a plus. I don't/didn't expect it to compete with some real nice SACD/CD players I have but eventually I may hook it up to my music system after awhile for kicks.

The SACD format is mostly classical music per se but enough rock/pop and jazz titles are out there if you like those genres. A link for some good info on recordings if interested:

www.sa-cd.net

I'll try some DVD-A recordings this weekend to see how I fel about the playback of those. Also I want to see how SD DVD upconversion is. I'm using a Tosh A20 mostly for that but not all that much to tell the truth. I guess it is a bit of a been there and done that enough and want to spend my available time with BDs mostly.

So far so good. The player is quick and responsive to commands, I like the remote, BD quality is very good, and no freezing or pausing or any loading problems per se (and I didn't clean a single disc before I played them!)
post #733 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Hello,
Just got the 58" plasma yesterday and getting the Denon 1910 on Tuesday. We have a good DVD library so I really don't want to compromise on the quality. Will the 1910 upconvert well enough using the Oppo 80 or should I keep it simple and go with the 83?
post #734 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2udavid View Post

Hello,
Just got the 58" plasma yesterday and getting the Denon 1910 on Tuesday. We have a good DVD library so I really don't want to compromise on the quality. Will the 1910 upconvert well enough using the Oppo 80 or should I keep it simple and go with the 83?

The BDP-83 (using ABT2010) would best the video processing of the 1910 which uses the ABT1030 processor. You should have opted for the more expensive Denon 2310 as that uses a ABT2010, but you can always get the BDP-83 since you have a large DVD collection which will yield excellent SD upconversion results for you.

See Denon 1910 or 2310 thread

Oppo Beta Group
post #735 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkan View Post

Glad to hear it.

I have a Samsung player that does not have the audio dropout problem. I have three Oppo players that exhibit this behavior. Oppo has tweaked the -83 to where it plays my discs quite well. I found a BD this morning that has no sound at the start of the disc when played by the -83 and the -80.

Tenken,

What blu-ray disc(s) exhibited this behavior?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #736 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Now for a bit of a surprise. I tried a few SACDs with the analog outs and I felt the playback was was quite good.

I still have my SACD collection of a few dozen titles that has been pretty much collecting dust for quite a while. I have not had a decent SACD player in the rack for at least two years, and even the first run PS3 is had up till the release of the slim was not that great of a SACD player anyway.

Last night I sat down to do some evaluation of DVD playback and after a couple of hours of fiddling with various settings, got that dialed in. It then occurred to me the BDP-80 outputs DSD in native bitstream, the first player I have owned that has this capability, and the Denon 4310 of course does native DSD decoding. I checked the settings on both the player and receiver and sat down to check a few SACDs, despite the fact it was already getting on to bedtime. Three hours later (after 1 am), I'm looking for any new SACDs I can find for sale. At least for this sort of material, my audio system has never sounded so good. Even today, I've been diggin' on classic Elton John, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Pink Floyd (!), and Train.

All I can say is "wow". This player, in the right system, is probably the best bargain in consumer audio/video. Certainly it is for me.
post #737 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM

uote:
Originally Posted by hi2udavid View Post
Hello,

The BDP-83 (using ABT2010) would best the video processing of the 1910 which uses the ABT1030 processor. You should have opted for the more expensive Denon 2310 as that uses a ABT2010, but you can always get the BDP-83 since you have a large DVD collection which will yield excellent SD upconversion results for you.

I am in the same boat with a 60" Sony Bravia. I am happy with the Denon 1910, now that the BDP-80 is out it sounds more like the BDP-83 might be the best choice for my set up. I have exactly "0" BD movies and many SD-DVDs, time to start building a BD library.
post #738 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

All I can say is "wow". This player, in the right system, is probably the best bargain in consumer audio/video. Certainly it is for me.

Glad to see you like this player, it is on my short list to replace one of my BD players!

Do you plan on having an Obi moment and do a review of the OPPO BDP-80? Do you know if Kris Deering has put this player through its paces?

Just curious, do you remember how many Blu-ray players you have used/own/owned?
post #739 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by half moon View Post

I am in the same boat with a 60" Sony Bravia. I am happy with the Denon 1910, now that the BDP-80 is out it sounds more like the BDP-83 might be the best choice for my set up. I have exactly "0" BD movies and many SD-DVDs, time to start building a BD library.

Per Oppo via Twitter: "As a general rule we use "60 inches or greater, use the BDP-83". However, you may very well like the performance of the BDP-80."

I found that the BDP-80 offers a PQ improvement over the earlier DV-980 for example, but if you have a large SD-DVD collection, the ABT VST processing of the ABT2010 used in the earlier DV-983 and now the BDP-83, yields a slightly sharper output, while enhancing colors noticeably compared to the Mediatek video processing while viewing SD-DVD content. But like Oppo said the Mediatek yields a quite acceptable SD upconversion even on very large displays.

Oppo Beta Group
post #740 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The BDP-83 (using ABT2010) would best the video processing of the 1910 which uses the ABT1030 processor. ... get the BDP-83 since you have a large DVD collection which will yield excellent SD upconversion results for you.

See Denon 1910 or 2310 thread

Well, I ordered the 83 on Amazon today primarily because it should be best for my DVD collection. When I start buying blu-ray then I am confident that the Oppo will provide the best quality there too. I received an email from Oppo recommending the 83 too.
post #741 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Do you plan on having an Obi moment and do a review of the OPPO BDP-80? Do you know if Kris Deering has put this player through its paces?

I haven't talked to Kris in a little while, but I'd be very surprised if he has not already had a good look at the BDP-80. Hopefully, he will review the player for Home Theater mag.

I suppose I'll sit down and put together a few paragraphs on the new player. Not much I can say that hasn't been said already, but I guess I can say it again in my own words and from my perspective. It will be a little while, though. I would want some more quality time with the player as I'm finding more capabilities and performance features every time I get a few minutes to do more playing around with it.

Quote:

Just curious, do you remember how many Blu-ray players you have used/own/owned?

Haven't a clue really. Owned? More than a dozen. Probably 14 or 15, counting the two PS3s and the new BDP-80. Used/auditioned? At least another 8-10. That's really a guess, but not off by much.
post #742 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
This new player from OPPO is pretty intense. I was waiting to pull the trigger on the Panasonic BD85. I don't know...

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #743 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Last scanned by Fedex 26 hours ago, still 800 miles away, it's after 4PM and although it still says "on schedule" I don't think I'll be seeing my BDP-80 today.

And now it's snowing...

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #744 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

If it was flying and was going to pass anywhere near Memphis, it probably got delayed by the weather when the airport closed yesterday. I bet some other hubs had similar problems. That probably grounded a lot of their cargo.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #745 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Plugged in my new BDP-80, plugged in the ethernet cable which previously worked fine with my Samsung BDD-1400 (both green and yellow lights turn on), went to the Network setup and noticed wonky DHCP addresses

It didn't pick up my Linksys router's DHCP settings.

So I set up manual addresses (I use the 192.168.2.xxx range):

Manual IP: 192.168.2.50
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS1: 192.168.2.1
DNS2: 68.87.85.102

And clicked the Test Connection button.
After the player thinks for a while, it simply reports "Not Connected".

I've upgraded the firmware (via USB since the net didn't connect), reset to factory defaults, and re-entered the above settings without success.

And I downloaded that firmware on a computer connected to the same router. That Vista computer has this ipconfig:

>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::795f:22c6:d7a0:eea4%9
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

(The connections TCP/IP DNS is set to ONLY 192.168.2.1)

Do I just have a bum Blu-ray player?

Or are there some magic tricks related to Networking and this player?

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #746 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post

Or are there some magic tricks related to Networking and this player?

Set the player to auto DHCP, power cycle the player and leave it on, then reboot your router. If that fails, go into the router and assign the player an IP.
post #747 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Got mine yesterday. Switched it with my DV-980H last night, connected to my Denon AVR0888 via HDMI and analog stereo cables (it can only play "Zone 2" out in the backyard with an analog source) and connected the ethernet.

It powered on, told me it wanted to update firmware and did it's update, hassle free and quick (just a few minutes). Popped in The Dark Knight Blu-Ray and it looked great. Have my HDMI audio set to Auto (which doesn't seem to be covered in the manual????). Seems to do a good job of sending the bistream data that my AVR can handle (Dolby Digital, etc) and sending MultiChannel PCM when I switch to lossless audio.

The picture looks great. I didn't do any magic on one my worse looking DVDs (Live at the Quick: great sound, blotchy picture) but looks comparable to my Denon 745 and Oppo 980H. Better produced DVDs look great though, and BluRay looks amazing. Switched output between 720p and 1080p/24 into my AVR-888/Panny 50PX75U (a 768p plasma) and can't tell much/any difference yet.

So far so good. Looking forward to watching all of the Dark Knight tonight. It was hard to turn it off after just a few minutes last night.
post #748 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM

will the DVD up conversion of bdp 80 be better than the oppo 981HD and the ps3?
post #749 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh View Post

will the DVD up conversion of bdp 80 be better than the oppo 981HD and the ps3?

Compared to the 981 the BDP-80 will be sharper.

On some displays (mainly DLP) people would report enhanced macroblocking with 981 which does not occur on the later players.

Some people think the Faroudja chip used in the 981 enhanced green, which also does not occur in later players.

-Bill
post #750 of 3937 Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Tenken,

What blu-ray disc(s) exhibited this behavior?

Willie

Kansas - There's Know Place Like Home

The intro music should start on the 3rd beat of the measure. However, the sound from the BD starts at the 1st beat of the next measure. By pressing the "previous chapter" button, one can hear the music starrt on the 3rd beat of the measure.

Usually, I would not pay any attention to this. However, I was testing the new player to see if audio is truncated at the beginning of the disc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page