AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Yeah, I must jump the Oppo ship.

To me, this is retarded because it negates the purpose of having a lower cost bd player: so here is your inexpensive player, but it will perform best with a video processor. WTF??

So in a nutshell, what they are saying is: you either buy the 83 or you're going to spend more for the extra processor to get it right...

$300 is way too much for this... I am shopping for something else...

The BDP-80 is fine for average size (47"-55") screens, but for larger screens it's not recommended! How confusing is that? Or better yet why not just ask Oppo yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3937 Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

To me, this is retarded because it negates the purpose of having a lower cost bd player: so here is your inexpensive player, but it will perform best with a video processor. WTF??

So in a nutshell, what they are saying is: you either buy the 83 or you're going to spend more for the extra processor to get it right...

"Negates the purpose of an inexpensive player"?
So the purpose of a cheaper player is to give you the same performance level of player that cost thousands of dollars for EVEN LESS than the BDP-83?
Now that's retarded... if you don't mind me using your term.

You will not find another player on the market that has the same performance level of the BDP-83 for even close to what the BDP-83 sells for.
So by definition, when compared to what actually competes with the BDP-83, the -83 IS an inexpensive player.

So then, OPPO realizes than even as much of a bargain as the -83 is, not everyone can afford $500 for a player.
So they do a spanking great job at retaining the majority of the features of the -83, while still knocking more than 40% off the price of what the -83 costs.
The biggest reduction in performance, could be considered the lack of the ABT VRS processor.
Not to say that the solution in the BDP-80 is not good. It is very good in fact.
What OPPO is stressing, is that it is not "top shelf" performance with dvds as it is with the BDP-83.

Just last night, I literally watched the first half of a dvd on the BDP-80, and the second half on the BDP-83.
The -83 sure did look better on my 8.5 foot wide screen, but the -80 still looked decent.
If price was the deciding factor between the two, and I had a display less the 60", I wouldn't hesitate to get the BDP-80.
Of course I am completely spoiled by what the BDP-83, and the DV-983H before it can do with dvds.

FWIW, the BDP-80 still IS a UNIVERSAL player, and once again there is not a player on the market that can compete with it's feature set.
If you want to stricktly consider only dvd and BD, then the player is still wonderful, and ON PAR with what other players offer.
Just look at the features of what the middle end players on the market offer for their price point.
Sure there are BD players that can be had for $100-$150, but they will still not have as good of PQ with dvds as what the -80 has, and they sure as heck don't have the world renown customer service and support that OPPO offers.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #813 of 3937 Old 01-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

To me, this is retarded because it negates the purpose of having a lower cost bd player: so here is your inexpensive player, but it will perform best with a video processor... blah, blah, blah

Since the 80 provides the exact same video quality as the 83 for Blurays, I don't think you have much to complain about. The lack of the ABT scaler for DVD is a pretty small price to pay. We all own DVD players that we presumably like. We're buying this to play Blurays.
post #814 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Re-encode?

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

No. When Secondary Audio is set to On and the BD contains secondary audio track or the annoying menu clicking sound, legacy and lossless audio codecs are re-encoded to DTS. I think this is the normal behavior of the BDP-83 as well as some Samsung BD players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I think what he may be referring to is the reencode of "core audio".
Like when lossless is sent to a non compatible device and the core audio is played, and whether or not the original audio would be Dolby THD or DTS HD-MA, the core is reencoded as DTS no matter what.
I'm not sure what the BDP-80 does with regard to that scenario though.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to hear it is still in there.

As for what it is, for those of us with legacy receivers it re-encodes Dolby TrueHD (and LPCM I think) into a 1.5MBps DTS stream which (by all accounts, I haven't auditioned) sounds better than core DD. DTS MasterHD already has a decent 1.5MBps core.

Many Samsung players have had it for a while, some LGs, and the BDP-83.
post #815 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Just last night, I literally watched the first half of a dvd on the BDP-80, and the second half on the BDP-83.
The -83 sure did look better on my 8.5 foot wide screen, but the -80 still looked decent.

Hi,

could you specify in what respect did it look better? sharper? more details? better deinterlacing?

I am mostly concerned with deinterlacing errors since I have a lot of PAL DVDs. For example, my PAL Star trek next generation or Red Dwarf look horribly pixelated with my current Denon 2910 (Faroujda chip). I would expect the 83 to make less mistakes with deinterlacing; how is it with the 80?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
post #816 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I own the -83 and the -80. I spent the weekend watching the -80 connected to a 50" Pioneer Elite PRO111-FD. The PQ is really good and I have no complaints.

I have friends who want to get into Blu-ray but don't want to spend $499 for the -83. It seems $289 for the -80 is much easier for them to handle. Like me, they are using 50" TVs and will get good service from the -80.

Is the PQ of the -80 as good as the -83? I don't know as I don't spend time doing an A\\B test. I can say the -80 plays DVD and BD well enough I would recommend this player to my friends.
post #817 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The USD 289 goes towards paying for a player which offers SACD and DVD-A playback.

Plus Oppo's sterling firmware updates / service.

If all one needs is a BR player for BR discs, there are many cheaper options.
post #818 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Does anyone know what this is all about?

From Oppo's comparison chart, between the 80 and 83 models:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...0-Compare.aspx

For Home Theaters With Large Screens: Not Recommended

Does this mean that it only works best with less than say 40" screens?? Am I totally missing the point??

See Why does OPPO not recommend this player for home theaters with large screens?

-Bill
post #819 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
To me, it sounds like marketing speak. Like they're trying to upsell me. Not that there's anything wrong with it. Free market etc.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #820 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

And to me it sounds like a recommendation that you will be happier to upgrade the player if you have a larger screen. Marketing hype? No, but it is a good marketing approach to tell folks the truth!
post #821 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Those of you who have ordered the 80, what shipping meathod did you use? Just trying to decide if the extra $15 for 3 day shipping is worth it. If standard normally arrives in 4 then it may not be worth it.

rolltide1017,

I live in Georgia and it has never taken more than 4 business days unless there is inclement weather along the route. I ordered last Monday and received the player on Friday.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #822 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

WTF?? I missed the part where Oppo stated that it will perform best with a video processor.

Quote:

ddgtr,

Were you ever on the ship? Also, as my teenage nephews would say “pump your brakes”. You are reading waaayyy too much into their statement. The BDP-80 will work just fine with ANY size screen. However, if you want more of a performance boost; especially on the DVD side of things, then they are RECOMMENDING the BDP-83. This performance gain will probably be recognized more on larger screens. They are saying no more or no less. At least this is how I read it. I own both the BDP-80 and the BDP-83SE and in limited viewing there is a difference in DVD playback in favor of the BDP-83SE on my Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD, but not so much on my Pioneer Elite PRO-950HD (42”) and none on my Samsung LN32A450 (32”).

There is a pattern here. The larger the screen; the larger the difference. Some may notice it and some may not. I would have no problem watching blu-rays or DVDs on the BDP-80 with any of my televisions.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #823 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm really torn with which to buy. I have about 500 SD DVD titles and am viewing on a 58" from 8'. I have an HDMI receiver (Onkyo 805) and I don't have any SACDs or DVD-As.
The $200 is not that big of an issue, but it's still $200.
Your thoughts?

Mike

post #824 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

...The $200 is not that big of an issue, but it's still $200....

$200 not an issue, so go with the -83, the better of the two for your DVD library. I don't think you'd regret the purchase.
post #825 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm really torn with which to buy. I have about 500 SD DVD titles and am viewing on a 58" from 8'. I have an HDMI receiver (Onkyo 805) and I don't have any SACDs or DVD-As.
Your thoughts?

It's a tough call with your screen size. The -83 WILL be better for your dvds, but the -80 will look good too.
Being as how the price is not a deal killer, and that the -83 will be better, I would recommend the -83.
If you aren't too picky about having the best PQ, and you think the $200 saved is better spent elsewhere, then maybe the -80 is still a good choice.
Both will look good, but you will have to make the choice.
There are other differences between the players too that should be considered. You have to decide if those are applicable to your use of player too.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #826 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I would also recommend the BDP83 since you have about 500SD titles. The $200 difference, I feel will be worth it to you.

Beta Tester
post #827 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

$200 not an issue, so go with the -83, the better of the two for your DVD library. I don't think you'd regret the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I would also recommend the BDP83 since you have about 500SD titles. The $200 difference, I feel will be worth it to you.

Beta Tester

That's what I keep thinking.

Thanks

Mike

post #828 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 AM

First I want to thank you all for the time and efforts you've put into the threads on this forum. Although this is my first reply, I've used this site for several setups and to get questions answered in the past.

That said, I'm considering purchasing the Oppo BDP-80, and was looking for a little feedback from the pros.

My setup is a small one, in an apartment. I have a 55" Sony Bravia SXRD, and a recently purchased Denon AVR-790. I was looking at both the LG BD-390 and the Oppo BDP-80. I've read the forums, and done what homework I could. I think I want the Oppo for the slightly better video and sound quality.

I'm not too concerned with the upscaling abilities of the BDP-80, as all the DVDs I own are children's shows, and my kid won't notice the difference. For stuff like Netflix, Youtube, and the other features of the LG, I have my PC hooked up to my AVR through HDMI, and an Xbox 360 for Netflix streaming.

This will be my first experience with TrueHD/DTS-MA, and I'm hoping to upgrade the remaining components (speakers) soon to be able to really enjoy it. I currently use the Polk Audio RM6900 5.1 set, less the 2 fronts. I just replaced those last week with (2) Polk Audio TSI300s. (I got them at $70/ea at Best Buy as open items)

So here's my questions..
Am I looking at the right option for me?
If I purchase this, should I let the Oppo or the Denon upconvert DVDs?
Any additional advice for setting up these 2 items to get the best results?

Once again
Denon AVR-790
55" Sony Bravia SXRD
Oppo BDP-80 (?)
Polk Audio RM6900 5.1
Polk Audio TSI300s (As front L/R)

Thanks for all your time.
post #829 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Question for anyone?

I have a 58 inch plasma and only watch BD's. I use my ps3 now and it does a fanastic job. I own 100 BD and no DVD's. Is there any reason for me to own this new Oppo. Will it do any better than my ps3. I run everything to my elite sc-05. Thanks

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #830 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

Question for anyone?

I have a 58 inch plasma and only watch BD's. I use my ps3 now and it does a fanastic job. I own 100 BD and no DVD's. Is there any reason for me to own this new Oppo. Will it do any better than my ps3. I run everything to my elite sc-05. Thanks

My PS3 is a launch 60Gb and sounds like a hair dryer when watching movies. I'm looking at getting the Oppo.

Mike

post #831 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Question for anyone?

I would expect there to be no difference with Blu-ray, unless you have a noisy PS3.

I have a PS3 too (mine is eerily silent), and the only reason I'm buying a BDP-80 (if it would ever actually come!) is because I have a lot of SACDs and DVD-As and want a new HDMI universal player, which I will also use for DVD and Blu-ray for simplicity's sake. I will keep the PS3 in the system for now (for DLNA and games), but if/when DLNA is implemented on the BDP-80 I will probably move the PS3.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #832 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well as I continue on and have been impressed, I wanted to see what others thought. I asked some friends to drop by this weekend and it wasn't good for them but it ends up I got caught up doing other things with my GF anyone and she never witnessed it either.

Being considerate I was not just going to feed the player with all top notch titles for PQ but movies I know she has liked in the past while watching with me. I chose Air Force One, Seabiscuit, Perfect Storm and I, Robot. I explained it was to get her thoughts on it and we would be skipping around fearful beforehand she would want to just to continue to watch one that she was enjoying.

So we began and continued watching for about 90 minutes. She made comments that she was liking what she was watching and seemed to place more emphasis on Seabuscuit and I, Robot where she thought they looked very very good and I had to agree.

What I didn't say though which now has me concluded trying everything with this player and I didn't get around to the latter was that these were SD DVDs!

I'm not going to utilize the player that much for upconversion and frankly don't use the PS3, LG BD390 and Panny BD30 but the Tosh A20. I do so when a catalog title is being released that I'm iffy about actually wanting the BD because of lack of replay value and that is the extent of upconversion. It would be a nice BD to have but not necessarily essential and save for something else. What I listed above, I only own I, Robot on BD.

Maybe I'll try the LOTR movies for kicks cause we are getting closer to release and I'm buying them anyway but I'm getting antsy to watch them.

I know folks may be skeptic about a grand larceny conclusion I made beforehand but it is nice to actually get a player at this price that has shown me very good performance and quality. I mentioned I spend lots more on the others. No loading or playing problems and I never once cleaned any discs, music or video. Thanks Oppo, if I knew beforehand what I know now all told I would have paid more for the 80 but I personally don't need the 83!
post #833 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question for anyone?

Blu-ray will probably look basically the same on the BDP-80 as on the PS3. Speed will be similar, as well. The BDP-80 will be quieter (no fan) and has a good IR remote. If the IR remote, standalone player interface, and lack of fan are enough to justify the change, then I'd say "go for it." If those aren't enough to justify buying a new player, I'd stick with the PS3.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #834 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Thanks for the first hand account regarding analog performance of the 80. It was of particular interest to me.

While I didn't use anything more than budget equipment though it performs admirably, I did use what I deem audiophile recordings pretty much.

I really don't think anyone will have an issue with the analog performance but I'm not sure what they are accustomed to. I never owned an Oppo for which feedback on those have been very good. This may be even better but probably as good at least!
post #835 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My PS3 is a launch 60Gb and sounds like a hair dryer when watching movies. I'm looking at getting the Oppo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I would expect there to be no difference with Blu-ray, unless you have a noisy PS3.

I have a PS3 too (mine is eerily silent), and the only reason I'm buying a BDP-80 (if it would ever actually come!) is because I have a lot of SACDs and DVD-As and want a new HDMI universal player, which I will also use for DVD and Blu-ray for simplicity's sake. I will keep the PS3 in the system for now (for DLNA and games), but if/when DLNA is implemented on the BDP-80 I will probably move the PS3.

got ya.. yea i dont really care for SACDs or DVD-As too much. I love music, do not get me wrong but a regular CD sounds fine to me on my 2 channel set up. I guess i will stick with the ps3.

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #836 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

got ya.. yea i dont really care for SACDs or DVD-As too much. I love music, do not get me wrong but a regular CD sounds fine to me on my 2 channel set up. I guess i will stick with the ps3.

Don't the launch PS3s support SACD?

Mike

post #837 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Don't the launch PS3s support SACD?

Yes, I believe only the original 20GB and 60GB models play SACDs - that feature was removed in all subsequent models starting with the 40GB version. I own a 60GB PS3 and I know for a fact it plays SACDs. It doesn't play any of the high-res stuff on DVD-As though.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #838 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Your thoughts?

Get the BDP80. I have 600+ SD DVDs and I'm viewing on a 56" screen from 10'. I have no issues whatsoever with the DVD playback quality. It's just as good if not better than the Panasonic DMP-BD80 I had and better than any actual DVD player I've owned.

There will always be something better and more expensive out there but it's a fools game to throw money away when you don't need to. Let's just say I lust after expensive gadgets all the time but I'm perfectly happy with the BDP80. It's an incredibly player.
post #839 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGadget View Post

Get the BDP80. I have 600+ SD DVDs and I'm viewing on a 56" screen from 10'. I have no issues whatsoever with the DVD playback quality. It's just as good if not better than the Panasonic DMP-BD80 I had and better than any actual DVD player I've owned.

There will always be something better and more expensive out there but it's a fools game to throw money away when you don't need to. Let's just say I lust after expensive gadgets all the time but I'm perfectly happy with the BDP80. It's an incredibly player.

Thanks for the overall reinforcement. I don't want anyone to think I'm overstating my opinion of what I've witness so far and in only 4 days!!

I know it may be too early for some to draw a conclusion but this is easily money well spent!

Did you try playing any music? I'm having a hard time keeping up with the thread.
post #840 of 3937 Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGadget View Post

The BDP-80 may be a fantastic player, and the PQ for dvds is very good, and of course there is nothing wrong with using it for dvds, even on a large screen, it will still look very good.
However the BDP-83 is better, and most people don't consider it "throwing money away" when you are purchasing a product that has real world improvement over another.
Just as well, with the way a lot of "audiophile" and "videophile" products are priced these days, the $200 difference between the players could be considered trivial by some, and well worth the cost of the higher tier player. Just like all of the BDP-83SE owners feel it is a worthy investment for the price difference between the BDP-83 and the SE version.
There are different tiers of performance hardware, and I think OPPO has done well with hitting them with 3 very nice players.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page