Very nice. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. I transitioned away from standalone Blu-ray players to only using the PS3 about a year ago as I finally got fed up with the six month model cycles that have been the hallmark of the Blu-ray format for the last three years. I resisted the BDP-83 for several reasons, not the least of which were price (hard to justify five bills for BD and SACD with a PS3 sitting in the rack also), first gen product, and the fact that a good portion of the price of the 83 is for DVD features that mean absolutely nothing to me.
Also, there are a few desires I have that have kept me away from the "mainstream" brands such as PAL playback and multi-region hackability. So, looking at the list of features left out of the 80 vs. the 83...
Originally Posted by Techlord Thing missing from the BDP-80
1. Glow in the dark remote, No Back-lit
2. DVD 24p Conversion
3. IR In/Out Ports
4. RS-232 Remote Control
5. Analog Output: Shared with 7.1ch
6. Cheaper plastic faceplate
7. "System-on-Chip" with Custom Firmware ?
8. For home theaters with large screens - (Not Recommended)
1. I use a universal remote that lights up very nicely, and in color
2. I can count the number of DVDs I have watched in the past year on one hand and have fingers left over. Besides, I have a Toshiba HD-A35 HDDVD player which is quite a nice 24p DVD player when called upon.
3. IR port would have been a nice feature, but I have stick-on emitter in place already from the last BD player that was in the rack so no issue there.
4. Don't use RS-232.
5. Haven't used analog output on anything for a long time. Years. I tend to think my $2K Denon receiver likely has a rather better D-to-A section anyway.
6. Really hard to see the difference between plastic and aluminum faceplate in the dark
7. System-on-chip with custom firmware, which is actually referring to the lack of the ABT processor...see #2. Non-issue for Blu-ray.
8. Again, referring to DVD playback. See #2 again.
$289 to get a fast, high quality player with all the features I have wanted in a BD player? My credit card is sitting next to my keyboard waiting for the moment the "buy" link becomes active. Yesterday would not be soon enough for me