post #901 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiehead View Post

I have an older video processor. Key digital hdmi x 4.

It does not pass thru 1080p24. But will take the source direct 1080i60. Never had complaints on video with blu-Ray. My old panny did not output 1080p24 so I don't really know what I am missing. I do know the key digital is solid at the scaling from 1080i to p. As is the oppo unit itself. Should I even bother with video processor at this point?

I have a pioneer DVD that outputs 480i but I never even bothered to hook it up to the processor since I don't watch dvd's.

If it's only function at this point is to convert 1080i to 1080p then I wouldn't bother, at least for the player.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Just a note for future reference. When OPPO support (or anyone else) says something like:

Quote:

The larger the display, the easier it is to see the difference between good and great quality deinterlacing and scaling. Because we offer several solutions, we prefer recommending the BDP-83 for larger displays because the BDP-83 offers the best deinterlacing and scaling from our product line.

...understand that "deinterlacing and scaling" refers to DVD, not Blu-ray.

DVDs are recorded at 480i (NTSC) and must be deinterlaced to 480p and scaled to the final image size, most commonly 1920x1080 these days.

Blu-ray native video is (usually) already progressive and does not need to be deinterlaced, and is already 1920x1080 so it does not need to be scaled.

Which is why we have the common consensus that Blu-ray video performance is much more even across players than DVD performance. DVD video requires more manipulations and is actually harder to get right. Hence the price premium for the ABT solution the BDP-83 uses. For more on DVD deinterlacing, see the links in the BDP-83 FAQ: Is the DVD picture quality of this player amazingly better than any other player?

It gets a bit more complicated: some Blu-ray native video is 1080i and needs to be deinterlaced, and some people have displays less than 1920x1080, which requires scaling.

-Bill
post #903 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Here is the email I got from them:

Danny,
The larger the display, the easier it is to see the difference between good and great quality de-interlacing and scaling. Because we offer several solutions, we prefer recommending the BDP-83 for larger displays because the BDP-83 offers the best de-interlacing and scaling from our product line. The BDP-80 is a great player, and will look fantastic on all display devices, but we prefer the BDP-83 if you absolutely need the best picture performance.
Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

On the 83 thread most people said that there wasn't a visible difference between a good BD player and the 83 in terms of VQ. As per the above answer, there obviously IS a difference between the 80 and the 83 as you have also stated yourself.

My display is a 60" kuro and I plan to get a projector. Since I do not need all the audio bells and whistles the 83 has, I thought the 80 would be a good purchase since I like the Oppo line.

Please understand that this was a bit of a shocker since I expected all kinds of downgrades from the 83 except for VQ. I honestly think this was not much to ask since there are a lot of people out there who are all set up in terms of audio gear and would just like a good name BD player like Oppo.

Since it appears everyone here does not have a problem with this, I sincerely apologize for the temporary disturbance in the thread.

Regards

Danny,

Thanks for providing the email from Oppo. Their email talks specifically about "de-interlacing and scaling", which benefits DVDs. When I see the words "de-interlacing and scaling" I always think DVD. I think you have misunderstood their reply. I think not understanding "de-interlacing and scaling" has led you to the wrong conclusion about blu-ray PQ. However, I do understand your initial concern. If there was a difference in blu-ray PQ between this player and another we would have heard about it already.

It is universally accepted by most that all blu-ray players will yield the same results from a 1080p24 source.

If any of my posts seemed harsh please accept my apology. I think we've all learned from one another. Regardless of your player of choice blu-ray PQ will be the same.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #904 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

...As per the above answer, there obviously IS a difference between the 80 and the 83 as you have also stated yourself....

Sorry to attack the poster rather than the post, but you really need to not read anything into what you receive! They didn't state anywhere within that email response that Blu-ray is better on either player. You infer that! In fact, their response is actually quite vague as to what they are speaking of...DVD or BD. We can all infer that "deinterlacing and scaling" refers to DVD, but it could also refer to BD for those that have panels that won't accept 24fps.
post #905 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

More music, more BDs, and more SD DVDs pumped into the BDP80. Same results with the conclusion that this player continues to impress me and is excellent for the money. The closest I believe is the Pioneer BDP320 as I believe Winston also felt.

More folk will offer fedback as they actually receive the player and spend time with it. I still say grand larceny!
post #906 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Player finally arrived, just as I was leaving for work. Took a week (shipped Tuesday PM, arrived Tuesday AM) via FedEx standard to go coast-to-coast.

I plan to temporarily just connect it in place of my PS3 while I check it out. The bigger job of pulling the old Pio 563 and integrating the Oppo with both my primary digital HD system and my satellite analog composite system will have to wait for the weekend.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #907 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Is it a given that the BDP-80 is at least as good as a DV-980H in upscaling SD DVD's? If so, it's for me.
post #908 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Is it a given that the BDP-80 is at least as good as a DV-980H in upscaling SD DVD's? If so, it's for me.

Yes. Some say better.

-Bill
post #909 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Thanks. I guess I have to get one then.
post #910 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Dear Oppo,

Please forgive me. I dumped your sweet 981, with its wonderful support, like a tired old lover for the visual delights of a sexy new Pioneer BD player.

How was I to know that the constant studders and spits and sputters of my viewing pleasures was just a constant tease? Was I blind to the fact that my movie night game of "Russian Roulette" was playing havoc on my inner psyche?

Might you allow one or two slightly smudged discs from a past, ham-fisted lover, to play in my new BDP-80?

When I recieve my -80 on Friday, I promise that I will not look longingly at another BD player for the rest of my days.

Humbly,

D.B.
post #911 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Player finally arrived, just as I was leaving for work. Took a week (shipped Tuesday PM, arrived Tuesday AM) via FedEx standard to go coast-to-coast.

I plan to temporarily just connect it in place of my PS3 while I check it out. The bigger job of pulling the old Pio 563 and integrating the Oppo with both my primary digital HD system and my satellite analog composite system will have to wait for the weekend.

Mine came yesterday as well, exactly a week after ordering. Did a quick plumbing job just to get it going... just re-patching the HDMI and Ethernet cable from my Panny BD35 into the BD80. As soon as I powered it up, it jumped directly from the "Hello" message to the firmware update message. Very quickly and smoothly updated main and loader FW with nothing more than a few clicks (this was with D-Link DAP-1522 bridge connected to a D-Link DIR-825 on the 5GHz band).

Haven't yet checked DVD playback (which will be "Source Direct" through my Reon equipped Onkyo 876 AVR), but the BD playback looked superb on Troy, Spiderman 3 and 3:10 to Yuma, which is all I had time to sample last night. Menus operation was smooth and logical (major upgrade from the DV980), and startup/loading times were definitely much faster than I ever experienced on the BD35.

I didn't opt for the backlit remote because I will be using my Harmony One, but if you intend to use the Oppo remote I would definitely recommend the backlit option... the glow buttons just don't cut it on an otherwise nicely laid out remote.

That's all I have right now... will play some more this weekend and definitely will recalibrate my display with the BD80 as the source. Speaking of which... Am I correct in assuming that the player will not be doing do any color space conversion to SD sources when in "Source Direct"?

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #912 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohling View Post

BDLive on this player stinks, thus far. I'm using a wired connection. Took way long to load-up Public Enemies & Basterds (nothing good anyway), but PS3 no problem. But, to be fair, the LG had issues with Public Enemies. Sony BDLive (Julie and Julia, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs), took forever and then loaded to a BDLive screen, without any of the content. Just empty boxes (PS3 fine). Disney (Snow White, Monsters Inc., UP), would not load BDLive at all. I got a message that an error occurred. This error message is from Disney, not the player (I had it before, when the site was down. Not the case now, as PS3 again fine).

rbohling, were you able to resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem when trying to load Sony BDLive content, which is to say that I get the BDLive screen without any of the content (Universal content seemed to work well; those are the only two I've tried), except I have a BDP-83. MovieIQ didn't load properly on the Sony BDs I tried either.
post #913 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Techlord, Cooljazzcat and others...

Please take your debate about SD and HDM to the appropriate thread. I appreciate the knowledgable discussion and passion on both sides, but it's OT to the technical discussion on this player.

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #914 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The problem with Blu-Ray live is that the servers are often slow and this causes all kinds of issues. I have a high speed connection and I have noticed differences with many disks.
It is usually not the fault of the player.

BD80 Beta tester
post #915 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Liked: 11
according to my knowledge, a blu-ray disc is either 1080i60 or 1080p24 native resolution. There are no native 1080p60 disks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

that is why I personally ran my Key Digital video processor with my older panny BD10a (does not output 1080p24)

with the Oppo, I have a different option of running the video directly to the Sony LCD which is capable of 1080p24. I did notice a bit of juttering with the Panny blu-ray player but nothing horrible or distracting.

When chatting with the KD tech support, de-interlacing a 1080i60 to 1080p60 is done BETTER with their VP vs what's in the Panny. How ever small improvement that may gain. But with 1080p24 as an option now with my soon to arrive Oppo 80, I'm torn which way to connect things. Yes, I can try both, but I have a complete cable nightmare, I'd like to set it once and forget it.

I noticed much better de-interlacing and scaling of cable TV (SD, 720p and 1080i) with the KD processor than any inherant benefit of BR 1080i to 1080p with the VP vs the player (when I did test the Panny)

I never got around to testing a 480i DVD source direct feed to the VP as that DVD player is a bedroom player.

-------

update...I need to check if the KD can do a pass through of 1080p24 as that will solve everything
post #916 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM

When I purchased my 980H in 2008, it was recommended over the 981HD for DLP displays. I would assume that the BDP-80 would be at least as good for my 61" DLP(LED) rear projection set as the 980H and that there are no quirks regarding DLP like there were for the 981HD. Anyone with a set like mine care to comment?

I guess I have a couple of choices: 1) keep the 980H and buy a separate blue-ray player; 2) buy the BDP-80 and sell the 980H on eBay while it's still bringing a good price. Decisions, decisions.
post #917 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianxponent View Post

When I purchased my 980H in 2008, it was recommended over the 981HD for DLP displays. I would assume that the BDP-80 would be at least as good for my 61" DLP(LED) rear projection set as the 980H and that there are no quirks regarding DLP like there were for the 981HD. Anyone with a set like mine care to comment?

I don't, but the BDP-80 has the same virtue as the 980H for DLP: no risk of ehanaced macroblocking, which was a problem for the 971/981.

-Bill
post #918 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubalord View Post

rbohling, were you able to resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem when trying to load Sony BDLive content, which is to say that I get the BDLive screen without any of the content (Universal content seemed to work well; those are the only two I've tried), except I have a BDP-83. MovieIQ didn't load properly on the Sony BDs I tried either.

If you want to load Sony BD-Live content, plan on going out to dinner while you wait. Of course, once it loads it has nothing to do with the movie on the disc. I've yet to see any Sony content load in less than 5 min on either Oppo player, and I doubt it has much to do with the players.

But if you're really determined to see this useless stuff, just walk away and come back later - it'll be there eventually.
post #919 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

While I had thoughts to upgrade my Onkyo SR605 and use source direct as the option and perhaps get the Denon 2310CI, the performance I'm beginning to feel will be more the bigger benefit for the audio than the video.

Using a budget Samsung LCD, I really am quite satisfied with the PQ just in case some others are also anticipating making a similar move to upgrade their AVR. I will eventually do so down the road but it isn't urgent watching or listening with the 80. The SR605 serves its purpose fairly well but I feel it definitely needs to be replaced for an even better HT experience even if the sound is the bigger benefit. No, not until afterwards for a display upgrade but I know that eventually needs to go also.
post #920 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubalord View Post

Yesterday, with instructions from OPPO, I disconnected power (1 hour min.), held power button down (5 sec), reconnected power, installed downloaded firmware (on USB, rather than network), re-set to factory settings, disabled BDLive. This seems to have taken care of my lock-ups and sluggish loads (at least as I have seen, with very little play time since). Their instructions left me with the disable BDLive. Which is where I still stand. I was rather disheartened, it this was the solution and asked if this is how I was expected to have a functioning player. Below is the response I received from them, plus I had an earlier response that they intend on future firmware updates, to aleviate issues. Their below response is pretty much the same as a reply I received from SmartyPants. I will try some BDLive stuff, as time permits and if I can keep the wife off that damned Home and Garden Television. She is probably plotting new projects for me Anyway, I will update, but if you are having the same issues on the BDP-83, it definitely seems to be a firmware issue with OPPO.

Bob,

As a test we want you to disable BD-LIVE and see if this changes the performance of the player. You can re-engage BD-LIVE again and compare your results.

Disabling BD-LIVE is generally recommended unless you will be taking advantage of specific BD-LIVE features of a disc. BD-LIVE can slow the load times of discs (pre-caching) or corrupt the internal storage, which will lead to loading or other playback errors.

The BDP-83 and the BDP-80 share the same decoder and the core software library. The performance of these two players should be identical, but during product development, we have seen cases were one product suffers an error, while another does not.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #921 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you want to load Sony BD-Live content, plan on going out to dinner while you wait. Of course, once it loads it has nothing to do with the movie on the disc. I've yet to see any Sony content load in less than 5 min on either Oppo player, and I doubt it has much to do with the players.

But if you're really determined to see this useless stuff, just walk away and come back later - it'll be there eventually.

It isn't necessarily that someone is dying to see something, just checking out the workings/non-workings of a new player. When the same BDLive content loads and works on a LG BDP-390 and a PS3, but fails to on the OPPO...is it the fault of the studio? I can pop a Disney disc into the others and no issue. I get an error message on the OPPO that it failed to connect and to try again later. I would say it is a player issue, more than likely firmware that needs to be addressed.
post #922 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It isn't necessarily that someone is dying to see something, just checking out the workings/non-workings of a new player. When the same BDLive content loads and works on a LG BDP-390 and a PS3, but fails to on the OPPO...is it the fault of the studio? I can pop a Disney disc into the others and no issue. I get an error message on the OPPO that it failed to connect and to try again later. I would say it is a player issue, more than likely firmware that needs to be addressed.

...Or a disc or server issue. Again, my old fat PS3 worked pretty good with BDlive enabled loading and using the feature itself. My new slim doesn't. I highly doubt I have a defective slim as I use it on the PSN often and it works perfectly.

If you want to pin the quality of the player on a useless feature that might not have ANYTHING to do with the player do so, its a free country, but its also a minor nitpick at best and isn't 100% a hardware/defective player issue.

Could be, who knows but most people have mixed results at best with BD live player to player.
post #923 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Posts deleted and two members banned from posting in this thread. Please remember to use the report post function instead of responding to problem posts. If you do respond in a like manner, the same action maybe taken against you and the problem poster.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #924 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post

Perhaps I'm expecting too much, what with a recent product launch, but an email sent to service@oppodigital.com around 10AM this morning is unanswered at 6PM. Is that normal?

You are seriously upset about a less than 24 hour response time... *mattaku* Where is Jean Luc Picard and his facepalm of justice?
post #925 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

You can say anything you like. But it's also true that just because another player loaded the same content at some other time, that it would do the same today. Now, if you have both players online at the same time and one is failing where the other isn't, then you have a legitimate gripe.

At BEST, BD-Live is troublesome and unreliable. I see BD-Live stuff loading quickly from some discs/studios and poorly from others. I do not look for the fault in the player.
post #926 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Poor results with BDLive are hardly exclusive to Oppo, and I believe most owners of most players across the board end up leaving this feature disabled. I do on my PS3, and will on my BDP-80. It's not like you can't still access it if you choose to; it's just that it doesn't happen automatically whenever you insert a disc (or at least that's the way it works on a PS3).

Remember what happened with "Iron Man," with tens of thousands of people all hitting the servers at once on release day, with players that were still defaulted to "auto" for BDLive? Everybody thought their players were broken because the disc wouldn't load.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #927 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You can say anything you like. But it's also true that just because another player loaded the same content at some other time, that it would do the same today. Now, if you have both players online at the same time and one is failing where the other isn't, then you have a legitimate gripe.

At BEST, BD-Live is troublesome and unreliable. I see BD-Live stuff loading quickly from some discs/studios and poorly from others. I do not look for the fault in the player.

That is my gripe. As I noted in previous posts, I went to the other player and put the same discs in, without issue. I even cleared the cache on the other player, to make sure it was on the same starting ground as the OPPO to test the issue. I know all players have issues and the LG BDP-390 had struggles and sometimes would not load Public Enemies BDLive content. But OPPO seems to have problems with Universal, Sony and Disney, either not loading, locking up, or partial loads. Warner is the only ones I have had load correctly, thus far. If I can take a disc from one player, to the other, on the same connection and one can and one can't...well that is like two people given the same project and asked to come up with a given result. One does, one doesn't. The problem must lie with the one who didn't. Either he has not have been taught properly (firmware), may not have capabilities / glitch somewhere, just doesn't put forth the effort (quality **I know this is not the issue** before I am attacked), etc. I think the test of the player against the other was more than reasonable. I am not going to get a second copy of each disc and load them at the exact same time. I think ejecting from one and going to the other is a reasonable test of function. Thus far, my new BDP-80 fails BDLive. That is all I am saying, content being worthless crap (as some has said, is not the point). If I buy a BluRay copy of Motel Hell and it won't play and I, or someone says it doesn't work. The point isn't that it is a crappy movie and a waste of time (in my opinion), the point is it doesn't work on the player.
post #928 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

That is my gripe. As I noted in previous posts, I went to the other player and put the same discs in, without issue. I even cleared the cache on the other player, to make sure it was on the same starting ground as the OPPO to test the issue. I know all players have issues and the LG BDP-390 had struggles and sometimes would not load Public Enemies BDLive content. But OPPO seems to have problems with Universal, Sony and Disney, either not loading, locking up, or partial loads. Warner is the only ones I have had load correctly, thus far. If I can take a disc from one player, to the other, on the same connection and one can and one can't...well that is like two people given the same project and asked to come up with a given result. One does, one doesn't. The problem must lie with the one who didn't. Either he has not have been taught properly (firmware), may not have capabilities / glitch somewhere, just doesn't put forth the effort (quality **I know this is not the issue** before I am attacked), etc. I think the test of the player against the other was more than reasonable. I am not going to get a second copy of each disc and load them at the exact same time. I think ejecting from one and going to the other is a reasonable test of function. Thus far, my new BDP-80 fails BDLive. That is all I am saying, content being worthless crap (as some has said, is not the point). If I buy a BluRay copy of Motel Hell and it won't play and I, or someone says it doesn't work. The point isn't that it is a crappy movie and a waste of time (in my opinion), the point is it doesn't work on the player.

If there is a problem with the player design in this regard it is unlikely to be fixed within your 30 day return period.

If that's a deal killer for you then you should return it.

I don't think anyone can make BD-Live work consistently smoothly, but neither have I done any testing.

-Bill
post #929 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Patience, people, patience please We are here to learn - at least I am
Folks should feel free on AVS to point out what they perceive as (a) shortcoming(s) of an Oppo machine without being jumped upon and told to like it or lump it. There is no perfect machine or human.

Why can't we just get along? (apologies Rodney King)

BTW, I own two (2) 83s which I am very happy with - before I am jumped upon And I first heard about Oppo right here on AVS. I've no regrets for following knowledge and advice shared here by members which inspired me to go Oppo!

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #930 of 3937 Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Patience, people, patience please We are here to learn - at least I am
Folks should feel free on AVS to point out what they perceive as (a) shortcoming(s) of an Oppo machine without being jumped upon and told to like it or lump it. There is no perfect machine or human.

Why can't we just get along? (apologies Rodney King)

BTW, I own two (2) 83s which I am very happy with - before I am jumped upon

Thanks, if this was directed towards my chain, though it could be others as well. I was only listing issues that I was having, which I thought was the point of the forum. I am far from having negative feelings about the player, or the company. I realize things need to be worked out
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page