post #991 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Get the -83. You won't regret it.

The -83 comes with the correct batteries for the lighted remote!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon View Post

You can easily use a Mac, just choose the FAT32 option instead of the Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

No I can't!
As you can see in my previous post I did choose the FAT32 option and this is what apparently doesn't work with the Oppo!
FAT32 (Mac) seems to be different from FAT32 (Windows) when it comes to compatiblility.
post #993 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 AM

I have the 80 on order & it will be my 1st bdp. With the 980, I used
the digital toslink output for DD & DTS sound to my AVR for DVD
playback, however with Bluray will I have to change the output
to analog & have the 80 decode the HD audio formats?

Will I need to change the any menu options when playing
DVD vs Blu-ray? or will this be automatic?

I have an older denon avr w/o hdmi, but it has coaxial & toslink
post #994 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Panasonic BD60 and was looking at the Oppo BDP80 or BDP83. My newbie question is will I benefit in any way going from the Panny to the Oppo? Another words is it worth the upgrade?
post #995 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by robie1 View Post

I have the 80 on order & it will be my 1st bdp. With the 980, I used
the digital toslink output for DD & DTS sound to my AVR for DVD
playback, however with Bluray will I have to change the output
to analog & have the 80 decode the HD audio formats?

Will I need to change the any menu options when playing
DVD vs Blu-ray? or will this be automatic?

I have an older denon avr w/o hdmi, but it has coaxial & toslink

Coax and toslink do not carry the HD audio formats; you need HDMI or analog for that.

The player will automatically give you the "core" subset of HD audio tracks for coax and optical; these are better than the DVD versions of the same codecs.

You might have a look at the BDP-80 online manual for tips on setting up the audio: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...anual%20v6.pdf

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #996 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

I have a Panasonic BD60 and was looking at the Oppo BDP80 or BDP83. My newbie question is will I benefit in any way going from the Panny to the Oppo? Another words is it worth the upgrade?

Are you looking for any specific features?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #997 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you looking for any specific features?

-Bill

I think the biggest thing is would I gain any picture quality stepping up to an Oppo over the Panny?
post #998 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I think the biggest thing is would I gain any picture quality stepping up to an Oppo over the Panny?

The general consensus is that Blu-ray picture quality is very similar across all players.

For DVD, see Winton's table: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1156535

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #999 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:

I am also looking into the new Panasonic players and wondering whether I should wait or get the oppo player now. I like the SD card slot of the pan.

LAS VEGAS--Panasonic fell a little behind in the Blu-ray features wars last year, with the company's players lacking Wi-Fi, Netflix streaming, and onboard storage, which were available on competing players. At CES 2010, Panasonic introduced three new mainstream Blu-ray players, the DMP-BD45, DMP-BD65 and DMP-BD85, that address some of these criticisms, although with some caveats.

Key features of the Panasonic DMP-BD45:

•PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus video processor
•SD card slot
•Lower power consumption--14 watts in usage, 0.1 watts in standby
•14 second boot up time
•Limited to 5.1 audio decoding
•Available spring of 2010; no pricing announced

Key step-up features of the Panasonic DMP-BD65:

•Wi-Fi ready, requires USB Wi-Fi dongle (sold separately)
•Supports Panasonic's VieraCast streaming content portal, which will feature content from Amazon Video on Demand, YouTube, Picasa, Netflix, Pandora, and Twitter
•Onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
•Supports full 7.1 audio decoding
•USB port

Key step-up features of the Panasonic DMP-BD85:

•Includes USB Wi-Fi dongle
•7.1 analog audio outputs
•Digital Tube Sound Simulator mode "to produce the warm, realistic sounds associated with a tube amplifier"
post #1000 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

on spec, you won't gain any features except source direct for 480i or 1080i60 for BD

in performance
- a bit better on the analogue 7.1 audio
- faster load times
- from early reports, slightly better up convert of DVD's
- no real gain in BD playback

I'm coming from the BD10a so I also gain BD2.0 specs and DTS-MA along with the above benefits.
post #1001 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Don't forget the most important advantage - superior customer service. I own 2 Panny players and the 83 - Oppo wins in that department hands down. Plus there is the universal feature of the 80, I never expected to develop another addiction - damn SACDs and DVDAs. Winston, with my 80 scheduled to be delivered today I am trying hard to catch up to you - 5 players and growing

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #1002 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Don't forget the most important advantage - superior customer service. I own 2 Panny players and the 83 - Oppo wins in that department hands down. Plus there is the universal feature of the 80, I never expected to develop another addiction - damn SACDs and DVDAs. Winston, with my 80 scheduled to be delivered today I am trying hard to catch up to you - 5 players and growing

May I ask the reason why you are getting this player if you already have the 83 AND other players? Just curious.
post #1003 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurrender View Post

...FAT32 (Mac) seems to be different from FAT32 (Windows) when it comes to compatiblility.

Not on my Mac! I simply format using the Disk Utility, and select the MS-DOS FAT in the pop down menu. I've had no problem doing this, using a USB thumb drive for firmware updates.
post #1004 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Will FAT ever go away? I'm just surprised how long this file system has stuck around, it is so outdated and should be history by now.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1005 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

I would give a very slight edge to the Oppo for BD and DVD, but don't expect anything significant.

post #1006 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Over the last two nights I have been doing some comparative testing of the deinterlacing capabilities of the "lowly" Mediatek processor in the BDP-80 vs. the "well-regarded" Reon solution in my Onkyo TX-SR876 AVR (and, just for giggles, vs. the deinterlacing of my Samsung A550 LCD TV). Source material was the Spears & Munsil HD benchmark BD.

On the Edge Adaptive clips, the Mediatek was virtually indistinguishable from the Reon. The Reon was very slightly cleaner in Jaggies test in the area of the alternating lines, but not by much (the TV was miserable in that area). The other clips were virtually indistiguishable between the Oppo and the Reon (again, both were notably superior to the TV, which blurred the bridge cables and ship rigging very badly). All three solutions did well on the mixed film/video clips, with no noticable combing.

On the Source Adaptive wedge tests, the Mediatek was again essentially indistinguishable from the Reon, with moire only near the tips for either solution (once again, the TV was noticeably inferior on this test).

The real surprise came on the Racecar clips... the Oppo clearly outperformed the Reon in regard to moire artifacts in the stands for virtually every cadence. There was virtually no noticeable moire when the Mediatek was deinterlacing, but the Reon produced noticeable (though not as severe as the TV) moire on all of the cadences. This both surprised and disappointed me (relative to the expectations I had for the Reon).

My overall point is... Much has been discussed here regarding the relative performance of the BDP-80 vs BDP-83. While I have no doubt that the 83 is even better than the 80, nobody should even remotely think of the BDP-80 as being "bad". In my informal testing of its deinterlacing capabilities, its internal processing performed quite well vs. one the "premium" external processors many will consider feeding with a BDP-80 as a source direct transport device.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #1007 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Over the last two nights I have been doing some comparative testing of the deinterlacing capabilities of the "lowly" Mediatek processor in the BDP-80 vs. the "well-regarded" Reon solution in my Onkyo TX-SR876 AVR (and, just for giggles, vs. the deinterlacing of my Samsung A550 LCD TV). Source material was the Spears & Munsil HD benchmark BD.

On the Edge Adaptive clips, the Mediatek was virtually indistinguishable from the Reon. The Reon was very slightly cleaner in Jaggies test in the area of the alternating lines, but not by much (the TV was miserable in that area). The other clips were virtually indistiguishable between the Oppo and the Reon (again, both were notably superior to the TV, which blurred the bridge cables and ship rigging very badly). All three solutions did well on the mixed film/video clips, with no noticable combing.

On the Source Adaptive wedge tests, the Mediatek was again essentially indistinguishable from the Reon, with moire only near the tips for either solution (once again, the TV was noticeably inferior on this test).

The real surprise came on the Racecar clips... the Oppo clearly outperformed the Reon in regard to moire artifacts in the stands for virtually every cadence. There was virtually no noticeable moire when the Mediatek was deinterlacing, but the Reon produced noticeable (though not as severe as the TV) moire on all of the cadences. This both surprised and disappointed me (relative to the expectations I had for the Reon).

My overall point is... Much has been discussed here regarding the relative performance of the BDP-80 vs BDP-83. While I have no doubt that the 83 is even better than the 80, nobody should even remotely think of the BDP-80 as being "bad". In my informal testing of its deinterlacing capabilities, its internal processing performed quite well vs. one the "premium" external processors many will consider feeding with a BDP-80 as a source direct transport device.

Thanks you for posting this, and taking the time to do it. As we see more reviews and user reports, I think the BDP-80 will establish itself as being equal to or better than most other scaling options found in any but the most expensive AVRs and TVs. I don't expect to see even more expensive players besting it. Aside from the BDP-83, you'll have to go some distance up the food chain to get better DVD scaling.
post #1008 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

"Lowly" Mediatek processor?
A custom version of the MediaTek SoC MT8520 is utilized in the BDP-80 to provide all the video decoding, scaling, and other processing. The BDP-83 also uses the same custom version of the MT8520 for video decoding along with the Anchor Bay ABT2010 to handle scaling and other functions.

Also thanks for posting your comparison also!

Oppo Beta Group
post #1009 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I started a few weeks back in this thread. I decided on the oppo 80. It was little more than I wanted to spend, but the upscaling, build quality, and reputation helped the decision. Plus a few amazon reviews that said they wished they had bought a oppo. I ordered it (with backlite remote) on Tuesday and it just arrived (thurs). I've run the set up wizard and run the firmware update. It's ready to go. I have a few questions.

I have 5.1 amp connected by optical. Is bitstream or lpcm better?

Turn off dynamic range control ?

I'm off to the calibration area to see if I can calibrate it.

Thanks for any suggestions and input.
post #1010 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

"Lowly" Mediatek processor?

Hence the quotation marks!

Commercial AV Design Engineer,

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #1011 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

With optical, I think you need bitstream to get Dolby Digital or DTS - otherwise you'll just get 2 channel. No HDMI on your receiver? Too bad, if you had HDMI, even if your receiver can't decode the new HD codecs the player can, then you could chose LPCM.

Quote:

I would unless you decide you need it.
post #1012 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Liked: 11
you may be happier using the analogue out on the Oppo and the anolgue inputs for your amp. This way you get full TrueHD and DTS-MA for your Blu-ray playback.

Quote:

I started a few weeks back in this thread. I decided on the oppo 80. It was little more than I wanted to spend, but the upscaling, build quality, and reputation helped the decision. Plus a few amazon reviews that said they wished they had bought a oppo. I ordered it (with backlite remote) on Tuesday and it just arrived (thurs). I've run the set up wizard and run the firmware update. It's ready to go. I have a few questions.

I'm off to the calibration area to see if I can calibrate it.

Thanks for any suggestions and input.

post #1013 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

keep it going and definitely post your relative thoughts!
post #1014 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiehead View Post

you may be happier using the analogue out on the Oppo and the anolgue inputs for your amp. This way you get full TrueHD and DTS-MA for your Blu-ray playback.

Could you (or anyone else) elaborate on that statement?

How do you get 5.1 surround through the analog outs?

Isn't analog 2 channel only??

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #1015 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post

Look closely here and you will see 7.1 analog outs

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #1016 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Note this text concerning the BDP-80:

For audio, the BDP-80 supports internal decoding and bitstream output of the latest sound formats including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio. The BDP-80 also features a configurable 7.1-channel analog output that can be set as 7.1-channel, 5.1-channel, or stereo. When playing SACD, the BDP-80 can output DSD (Direct Stream Digital) over HDMI in its native format or convert it into high-resolution PCM.

For legacy audio gear that only has analog inputs, the internal decoding of lossless audio such as DTS-HD-MA for example, will go out through the configurable 7.1 channel outputs.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1017 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most current receivers have 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs for use with 7.1 multi-channel outputs, the Oppo has a 2 channel and 7.1 channel analog outputs. For those that have receivers without HDMI 1.3 inputs can only hear the new HD codecs Dolby True HD and DTS HA Master Audio through the multi-channel analog inputs. You will need six RCA interconnects to go from the Oppo to the receiver, hope this helps.

Regards,
Techlord.

post #1018 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

the Oppo has a 2 channel and 7.1 channel analog outputs.

The BDP-80 doesn't have dedicated 2 channel (stereo) output, it only uses a configurable 7.1 channel output.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1019 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

No FAT will not go away any time soon. Why, because there's no licensing for FAT. While for NTFS there's licensing fee. Off course they could use other OS mean like Linux but you wipe 90% of you're OS base doing that..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #1020 of 3937 Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Will FAT ever go away? I'm just surprised how long this file system has stuck around, it is so outdated and should be history by now.

We could say the same about 32 bit Windows operating systems also.

The Oppo BD players currently only support FAT-16, FAT-32 because it is pretty universal as being supported across all OS's. However this means you're stuck with a ~4gb file limit via USB. No playing big MKV files via USB.

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page