post #1081 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlight View Post

I currently am running a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player. I am interested in being able to play more audio and video formats and faster load times. Also, if possible, better picture, but as I read it here there is little difference in Blu-Ray playback regardless.

I listen to music about half the time and when watching movies I watch about 80% Blu-Ray and about 20% DVD. I will start watching some .MKV formats and perhaps others after getting the Oppo.

My current setup has the Panasonic BD30 connected to an Onkyo 906 driving a Pioneer PDP 5020FD purely through the HDMI cables. I plan on upgrading my sound system (configured as 5.1) to SongTowers shortly.

Is the decoding done in my receiver the way I have it hooked up now? Is there a different way I should be connecting this to get better performance? And is there any advantage to having the BDP-83 over the BDP-80 with the equipment I have in any configuration?

Your receiver can decode all formats from either Oppo via HDMI, and that will be optimal for everything, including DVD-A and SACD and all codecs from DVD and Blu-ray. The only possible exception is redbook CD; the -83 has a dedicated stereo DAC which would have to be compared to the DACs in the Onkyo.

The only other material difference is the superior DVD upconversion of the -83, which may or may not matter to you depending on your display.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

If a DTS disc has the DVD-Audio logo, but provides no lossless audio option, in my opinion they're using the DVD-Audio logo incorrectly. A disc like that doesn't qualify as a true DVD-Audio disc, IMO.

I looked at some of the other titles of my DTS brand discs, such as Doobie Bros Captain and Me.

Others do spell out that they play in, "Advanced resolution surround, Advanced resolution stereo,
DVD-Video compatible 5.1 DD surround and 5.1 DTS surround.

So the way that I prefer to play a DVD Audio disc isn't going to affect my decision when shopping for a Blu-ray player.
For others it may.
post #1083 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

I looked at some of the other titles of DTS brand discs, such as Doobie Bros Captain and Me.

Others do spell out that they play in, "Advanced resolution surround, Advanced resolution stereo,

So the way that I prefer to play a DVD Audio disc isn't going to affect my decision when shopping for a Blu-ray player.
For others it may.

If you've never listened to lossless DVD-Audio (or SACD, for that matter) in 5.1 on a good sound system, your preference is based on ignorance or, at best, indifference. If you care about lossless audio on BD, but not on music discs, there is a disconnect in your thinking.

I say this because you suggest that music is important to you, but (unless I'm misreading your post) that you're content with the lossy sound on your DVD-A discs. You have that right, of course, but I'm wondering if it's because you haven't experienced the difference, which is much like the difference between the DD on a standard DVD and the TrueHD on a Blu-ray.

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding your position.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1084 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
FWIW, and this is an off-topic discussion in this thread:

"DTS discs" are not DVDs at all, (much less DVD-A), but are CDs.
post #1085 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Why since you have DVD-A discs? Buying them without a DVD-A capable player doesn't given anything more on those discs than a SD DVD player does playing standard concert discs, they play the DD or DTS tracks, so does a BD player but neither the advanced resolution tracks on the DVD-A discs.

I prefer the multi-channel surround sound.

And the 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS tracks that I have are mostly from studio albums, not concerts. No comparison.
The 5.1 DVD Audio track mixes blow away any concert DVD, trust me.
post #1086 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

If you've never listened to lossless DVD-Audio (or SACD, for that matter) in 5.1 on a good sound system, your preference is based on ignorance or, at best, indifference. If you care about lossless audio on BD, but not on music discs, there is a disconnect in your thinking.

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding your position.

I never stated that I cared about lossless audio on BD either.
You must have misunderstood my indifference in both regards. I don't have an AVR that plays TrueHD.

Sorry lowly me asked a basic question here.
post #1087 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I looked at some of the other titles of my DTS brand discs, such as Doobie Bros Captain and Me.

For others it may.

Unless you have a DVD-Audio player, you will NOT be able to hear the "Advanced Resolution Surround" on the disc you mention. If your regular DVD player allows you to select that option, then the player is probably defaulting to a lossy track.

As others have mentioned, with a DVD-Audio player, you are not getting the best sound by a long shot (even if all you care about is multichannel, since many DVD-audios include lossless multichannel).

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #1088 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

FWIW, and this is an off-topic discussion in this thread:

Very much on topic, since Oppo is one of the few BD players that tout being able to play DVD Audio, and SACD.

Is -80 players function of playing SACD off topic also?
post #1089 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very much on topic, since Oppo is one of the few BD players that tout being able to play DVD Audio, and SACD.

But DTS CDs are not the same as DVD-Audio discs, which is what that poster was trying to say.

Don't be so defensive. You brought up the question as to why all blu-ray players don't work with DVD-Audios, and we're trying to tell you. I, for one, would want to know if I thought I was hearing the best sound from my discs, but actually wasn't.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #1090 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I just looked up the specs for the Doobie Brothers disc you mention:

Sound Selections.
- Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit) - DVD Audio Players
- Advanced Resolution Stereo (192kHz/24-bit) - DVD Audio Players
- Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 Surround Sound - DVD Video Players
- Photo Gallery- All DVD Players
- Lyrics - All DVD Players

Note that you would need a DVD-Audio compatible player (like the BDP-80) to hear the first two audio selections...and I'm quite sure you would notice a difference between the Adv Res Surround and the DD/DTS.

post #1091 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I prefer the multi-channel surround sound.

And the 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS tracks that I have are mostly from studio albums, not concerts. No comparison.
The 5.1 DVD Audio track mixes blow away any concert DVD, trust me.

What DVD audio track, DD and DTS on those discs? You aren't listening to anything more than what a regular concert music SD DVD offers if you don't have a DVD-A player.

I don't know how many DVD-As you own but the BDP80 gets you the advanced resolution tracks so keep that under consideration. You get access to SACD also and believe me since it is included, you'll want to listen to what I consider some truly mind blogging recordings.
post #1092 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

The discussion or comparison of various audio formats is not on topic here. Suffice it to say that whatever sort of disc you are holding, the BDP-80 will play it and nothing more really needs to be said. There's an entire forum available for discussing surround music discs.

Quote:

For others it may.

There are lots of reasons to look at the BDP-80, playing or not playing DVD-A discs is just one of them.
post #1093 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I frankly am tired of hearing about Oppo's fine customer service. The only players I ever owned that needed customer support were Oppos. One was a 970h, it skipped on lots of audio cds that every other player I owned played just fine. The other was a 971 that macroblocked like crazy on my plasmas and DLPs. I finally gave it to a brother who had an LCD.

Oppo had no solution through their customer service for problems that were strictly Oppo problems.. They just suggested I return units. I have Best Buy Rewards Silver and get 45 days to return items. I just don't get all the hoopla here. A lot of people have drank a lot of kool aid from what I see.

The DMP-BD35 I have came from Costco cheap and it had a 90 day return window with a 2 year warranty through Costco. No support needed there. I am not saying I would not be interested in a player with a Source Direct Mode, but this a 100 player with a couple of bells and whistles added and a whole of lot hype selling for nearly $300.

The cheapo Panny BD player has just worked perfectly for me without any drama. Source Direct would be nice as I have a DVDO Edge but that is just a software switch in the players firmware, probably was just a few hours coding time if wasn't just a option flag in the SOC development kit. The BD80sounds like a hundred dollar player with a 300 dollar price tag for support. If most of the price difference is about customer service, then just exactly how much customer service does this new Oppo require?

Well I have owned the Oppo-BDP-83 since October and upgraded to the SE in early December and have never had a single issue with my Oppo player, remember the Oppo BDP-83 has a head start on improved firmware maturity!

Quote:

I frankly am tired of hearing about Oppo's fine customer service. The only players I ever owned that needed customer support were Oppos. One was a 970h, it skipped on lots of audio cds that every other player I owned played just fine. The BD80sounds like a hundred dollar player with a 300 dollar price tag for support.

Frankly I don't know what you are doing in this thread if you feel the way that you do, except to complain! If you've had better luck with other brands than I suggest you go with what you know, take your own advice and keep your Panny BD player.

Regards,
Techlord.
post #1094 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The discussion or comparison of various audio formats is not on topic here. Suffice it to say that whatever sort of disc you are holding, the BDP-80 will play it and nothing more really needs to be said. There's an entire forum available for discussing surround music discs.

There are lots of reasons to look at the BDP-80, playing or not playing DVD-A discs is just one of them.

Exactly. That's why I am here asking questions.
My OP simply stated that I was shopping for a BR player, and asked one relevant question.

I actually have two main reasons that I am considering the Oppo -80.
Collection of SD DVDs. (No questions there)
Collection of DVD Audio, (not DTS CDs)

Being able to play DVD Audio discs in full resolution is something I can't currently do,
and that capability of the Oppo -80 may result in my purchase of that player, so I can enjoy that.

I didn't expect to get put down, because I can't currently listen to digital music or movies in high-resolution,
or for asking a relevant question to help me make a purchasing decision.

I still listen to LPs on a turntable. Is that high enough resolution to be in the Hi Res club?
post #1095 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't expect to get put down, because I can't currently listen to digital music or movies in high-resolution, or for asking a relevant question to help me make a purchasing decision.

Nobody's putting you down, Beeper. You asked for an explanation of why all BD players don't play DVD-A, revealing in the process that you didn't really understand what the format was.

Now that's all cleared up. We can establish that the BDP-80 is actually the lowest-cost solution available for someone with your requirements; it will deliver the full audio benefits of DVD-A, SACD (which should also interest you, as it offers equivalent hi-rez multichannel music to DVD-A), and lossless Blu-ray audio to anyone with a receiver/processor that supports either multichannel analog audio or HDMI.

But not optical/coax. I don't recall if you specified your AVR/processor, but you'll need HDMI or MCH analog to benefit from this audio support.

So, lowest cost solution, plus a well-built, well-supported player with excellent all-around performance. Easy to recommend, and I do.

[not a beta tester, just a happy owner]

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1096 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Wait, the Lord Of The Rings Complete Recordings DVDs are actually DVD-A disc? I thought they were just DVD-V disc with a 5.1 version of the score on them. Now I own some DVD-A to try out when my 80 arrives, cool!

Just got a shipping notice from Oppo as well!

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1097 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Wait, the Lord Of The Rings Complete Recordings DVDs are actually DVD-A disc? I thought they were just DVD-V disc with a 5.1 version of the score on them. Now I own some DVD-A to try out when my 80 arrives, cool!

Just got a shipping notice from Oppo as well!

Yeah, the fourth disc in each set is a DVD-Audio too, with advanced resolution audio choices...I really need to sit down for like 6-8 hours and really listen to them sometime.

post #1098 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Speaking of DVD-A, I picked-up a new (released in Sept.) DVD-A disc today, which (I think) makes a great sound demo disc on BDP-80. The Beatles - "LOVE". The sound is amazing and enveloping. It's 1:20:37 of non-stop Beatles re-mixed. Very familiar, yet very different.
post #1099 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohling View Post

Speaking of DVD-A, I picked-up a new (released in Sept.) DVD-A disc today, which (I think) makes a great sound demo disc on BDP-80. The Beatles - "LOVE". The sound is amazing and enveloping. It's 1:20:37 of non-stop Beatles re-mixed. Very familiar, yet very different.

There is an AVS forum <<a href="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=112" target="_blank">here> that discusses Surround music, including DVD-A, which include several threads about this title, all of which are old threads because the title was released in November 2006.

We should probably not go further OT by discussing it here.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1100 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

We should probably not go further OT by discussing it here.

Thank you.
post #1101 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
Just picked up mine tonight. This is awesome that I didn't have to ship it fromthe US. He even through in a disc to match the price of the competition.

Will hook it up the morning ( 7.1 analogue) and run it threw it's paces.
post #1102 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

I frankly am tired of hearing about Oppo's fine customer service. The only players I ever owned that needed customer support were Oppos. One was a 970h, it skipped on lots of audio cds that every other player I owned played just fine. The other was a 971 that macroblocked like crazy on my plasmas and DLPs. I finally gave it to a brother who had an LCD.

Oppo had no solution through their customer service for problems that were strictly Oppo problems.. They just suggested I return units. I have Best Buy Rewards Silver and get 45 days to return items. I just don't get all the hoopla here. A lot of people have drank a lot of kool aid from what I see.

The DMP-BD35 I have came from Costco cheap and it had a 90 day return window with a 2 year warranty through Costco. No support needed there. I am not saying I would not be interested in a player with a Source Direct Mode, but this a 100 player with a couple of bells and whistles added and a whole of lot hype selling for nearly $300.

The cheapo Panny BD player has just worked perfectly for me without any drama. Source Direct would be nice as I have a DVDO Edge but that is just a software switch in the players firmware, probably was just a few hours coding time if wasn't just a option flag in the SOC development kit. The BD80sounds like a hundred dollar player with a 300 dollar price tag for support. If most of the price difference is about customer service, then just exactly how much customer service does this new Oppo require?

If what you're saying is true, what more do you want? They offered for you to return the players since they weren't working for you. I'm sure you could have exchanged the 970 for another and if you would have just done a little homework, you would have realized in advance the macroblocking was a problem on ALL brand players which used that Faroudja chipset - particularly on DLPs. I also own the Panasonic BD35 and it is a fine player; however, the BDP-80 is superior in virtually every way aside from Oppo having better customer service than Panasonic - not that Panasonic's customer service is poor, it's not. However, evidently you weren't around with their BD30 which had low LFE issues on PCM tracks, dropouts on TrueHD tracks, and occasionally lip sync issues. When I initially spoke with someone at Panasonic about the LFE issue, he basically told me and the rest of the forum was full of it and mistaken - although they finally came around. You're not going to get kind of that attitude with Oppo.

post #1103 of 3937 Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No. You can get 1080p24 for BR and 1080p60 for DVD. Or 480i for DVD when using Source Direct.

I know some people like 1080i from DVDs (especially CRT owners) but it is an odd transformation that has always made me suspicious. It goes 480i -> 480p -> 1080p ->1080i and then back to 1080p in the display. Too many steps?

EDIT: to clarify, you can get 1080i for both DVD and BR, but there is no single setting that gives 1080i for DVD and 24hz for BR.

-Bill

Thanks Bill,
Since my tv is a 120Hz (A650), supposedly, it can properly deinterlace a signal properly for 5:5 pulldown. If I were to get this player, would I get best results in source direct using the TVs scaler/deinterlacer, or output at 1080p60 for DVDs and live with 3:2 pulldown?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1104 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 AM

Hi all, thanks for your enthusiasm in the BDP-80. I have a slight dilemma regarding 80 vs 83, needing some feedback.

I've read that the 80 is not "recommended" for larger screens. I have a Samsung 67" DLP and Onkyo TR876 with a Reon chip. In your opinion, would the BDP-80 be "good" enough for my setup?
post #1105 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

Hi all, thanks for your enthusiasm in the BDP-80. I have a slight dilemma regarding 80 vs 83, needing some feedback.

I've read that the 80 is not "recommended" for larger screens. I have a Samsung 67" DLP and Onkyo TR876 with a Reon chip. In your opinion, would the BDP-80 be "good" enough for my setup?

The recommendation implies that if you are watching SD-DVD using the MT8520 to upscale (BDP-80), that it would benefit you to use the BDP-83 with the additional ABT 2010 processing based on the fact that you have 60" or greater display.

Now since you have a TR876, you also have the option of just using a BDP-80, and let the AVR with a Reon chip upscale to 1080P.

The BDP-83 also allows some fancy picture and zoom adjustments that the BDP-80 doesn't offer.

See this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18068491

Oppo Beta Group
post #1106 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 03:36 AM

The BDP-80 arrived yesterday. As a first time Oppo owner, so far I am impressed with their level of customer service. Just the little things .. like good initial confirmation communication, sending along a live hyperlink to the FedEx tracking system, delivery a little earlier than initially promised, and receiving a box whose solidity and weight is way out of the norm for this kind of a lightweight player. Obviously, all that fades if the product fails to satisfy, but these guys really get it.
post #1107 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

New owners, enjoy your purchase. You will come to know and it will not take long to realize what you have!

It is basically a snow out in NJ today. I know what I have to do later, but before that it will be just spending more time with this player. It has been a bit more than a week now and with the quality time logged with this player already, "getting my money's worth" is simply an understatement.
post #1108 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 05:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Thanks Bill,
Since my tv is a 120Hz (A650), supposedly, it can properly deinterlace a signal properly for 5:5 pulldown. If I were to get this player, would I get best results in source direct using the TVs scaler/deinterlacer, or output at 1080p60 for DVDs and live with 3:2 pulldown?

I believe the 5:5 feature of displays applies only to a 24hz signal, which is not available for DVDs on the BDP-80.

I don't know for certain whether Source Direct (480i) or 1080p60 would be best in your case, but I would guess the latter. When displays are tested they often show very poor deinterlacing. Which makes economic sense: good deinterlacing is not what sells TVs, so why spend any money on it?

-Bill
post #1109 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Frankly I don't know what you are doing in this thread if you feel the way that you do, except to complain! If you've had better luck with other brands than I suggest you go with what you know, take your own advice and keep your Panny BD player.

Regards,
Techlord.

So are you saying that if I go to an owner's thread for a product then I should only expect to encounter positive comments about it? I disagree and I don't think that's necessarily good for the forum either.

It also breaks up the monotony of the lovefest.
post #1110 of 3937 Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

So are you saying that if I go to an owner's thread for a product then I should only expect to encounter positive comments about it? I disagree and I don't think that's necessarily good for the forum either.

It also breaks up the monotony of the lovefest.

One more attempt to reach you - its Saturday so what the heck. I have Silver status so we spend thousands of dollars at BB and they are nice enough to extend are return window by a whopping 15 days. The point you're missing with OPPO is that if you have an issue like the one you complained about they would likely let you return the player during the first year, pay for shipping both ways and replace it promptly. Try getting that out of BB. Enjoy your $100 Panny, but as I'm sure you know they don't make a player that can compare to even the 80 when looking at all the features offered. What's wrong with a thread full of positive comments? Go visit the SC-05/SC-07 thread and you will find another example of satisfied helpful owners helping those with questions/issues/etc - while being nice/polite at the same time. That type of interaction on this forum is lacking on most threads on I find it refreshing on the OPPO threads as well as the SC thread. Enjoy your weekend.

P.S. Satisfied owners = quality product (we all understand the difficulty in grasping that equation in today's electronic market where most companies have cut QA from their budgets).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 80 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page