post #271 of 1241 Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post

Hey everyone I have a PS3 in which to get streaming Netflix, I have to put a stupid disc in since Netflix isn't integrated in the XMB.

Does the 6900 allow Netflix to truly stream without a "Netflix branded disc" in the tray?

Before I had the BD C6900, I was using the disc in my PS3. It wasn't bad at all. Using the 6900 and watching about 5 movies, I only had a couple of reloads and a time when an HD animated movie went below HD for a while and then back. I watched the two part "Son of the Morning Star" with no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1241 Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After lots of Google searches to try and find an answer to my problem, I finally found this site. I bought the 55" Samsung 3D TV package from Best Buy that came with the Samsung BDC6900 Blu Ray 3D player and glasses. I set the TV up, hooked up all connections including the 1.4 HDMI cable thats required...turned on the TV, went through the set up with no issues. Then clicked the source button to go to the Blu Ray player, it turns on the unit after being selected. The player first came up on a menu for set up, then after completion...I put in a disc to check it out, and it says "checking connection" then immediately says "no connection found, check your connections, power, and source selections." First question...what the heck does that mean? If any of those 3 were wrong it seems to me that the unit wouldn't have turned on as soon as the source was selected...I have checked the connection on the players end, and on the TV's end many times and its always a nice and snug connection. What am I doing wrong? Im sorry if this is a repost but there are too many pages on this thread lol.
post #273 of 1241 Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7857 View Post

After lots of Google searches to try and find an answer to my problem, I finally found this site. I bought the 55" Samsung 3D TV package from Best Buy that came with the Samsung BDC6900 Blu Ray 3D player and glasses. I set the TV up, hooked up all connections including the 1.4 HDMI cable thats required...turned on the TV, went through the set up with no issues. Then clicked the source button to go to the Blu Ray player, it turns on the unit after being selected. The player first came up on a menu for set up, then after completion...I put in a disc to check it out, and it says "checking connection" then immediately says "no connection found, check your connections, power, and source selections." First question...what the heck does that mean? If any of those 3 were wrong it seems to me that the unit wouldn't have turned on as soon as the source was selected...I have checked the connection on the players end, and on the TV's end many times and its always a nice and snug connection. What am I doing wrong? Im sorry if this is a repost but there are too many pages on this thread lol.

The Blu Ray connection is quite convoluted, because it will actually show up twice in the sources. Once as a normal input (HDMI1 or whatever input its in) and again as the anynet+ device. To eliminate some of the complexity, try turning off anynet (from the tv menu) and also plugging the HDMI cable into HDMI input 2 (HDMI1 has some special options for PC which might be causing issues). Once that is all set, try it again and if you get the same behavior, verify that the source input did not somehow change (ie make sure the tv is still on hdmi2 input). This would happen, as an example, if you had the Blu Ray input selected and you turned off the blu ray - The TV would switch to the TV (antenna) input.... If the behavior is only exhibited when you start playback of a disk, it might be an HDCP (copy protection) anomaly.
post #274 of 1241 Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnalli View Post

The Blu Ray connection is quite convoluted, because it will actually show up twice in the sources. Once as a normal input (HDMI1 or whatever input its in) and again as the anynet+ device. To eliminate some of the complexity, try turning off anynet (from the tv menu) and also plugging the HDMI cable into HDMI input 2 (HDMI1 has some special options for PC which might be causing issues). Once that is all set, try it again and if you get the same behavior, verify that the source input did not somehow change (ie make sure the tv is still on hdmi2 input). This would happen, as an example, if you had the Blu Ray input selected and you turned off the blu ray - The TV would switch to the TV (antenna) input.... If the behavior is only exhibited when you start playback of a disk, it might be an HDCP (copy protection) anomaly.

Thanks for the help! I will try that out as soon as I get back to the house. And about your last sentence, it doesn't even show the disc menu, the numbers start rolling on the display, and the disc turns....but the screen just says that no connection message I reported earlier. I almost feel like it was my mess up somewhere in the beginning because after the tv set up was finished, when the blu ray came on it also started its set up menu. Well, when it got to the internet part, I hit the skip button because a tech from best buy is supposed to come out and set that up as part of the package I bought...all was well after that until I put the disc in, then it started the connection error. So is it an internet thing? Does it HAVE to be connected to the net to play? I will try your advice first, as that makes more sense.
post #275 of 1241 Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:

I think it's checking for an internet connection, it say's "checking for connection" on mine before it brings up the Apps page.

post #276 of 1241 Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londawg View Post

I think it's checking for an internet connection, it say's "checking for connection" on mine before it brings up the Apps page.

Does it require being connected to the net before playing a movie on a disc?
post #277 of 1241 Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Does it require being connected to the net before playing a movie on a disc?

No. Your error is probably the TV not finding a signal. It could be that your blu-ray player is trying to output using analog instead of HDMI when the disc loads then the TV loses that HDMI connection.
post #278 of 1241 Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Hi i have been experiencing pixelization or ghosting on the edges of characters on my movies,i dont notice it on animation movies just film..My TV is a Samsung PNC7000 and it has the latest firmware installed as does my BD6900. I have tried BDWISE off and on. Could it be 1080/24? I have a direct connection to my TV and audio is optical as Harman Kardan hasnt released their 1.4 update yet. So it isnt the video processing of my AVR. I am just wondering if anyone has experinced this and has found a fix? It is hard to explain what i am seeing without actually seeing it for yourself but it resembles digital TV or Satellite squares on water also known as pixelization..
post #279 of 1241 Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Also i would like to know if anyone uses BDWISE and if its worth using? And i converted my set to C8000 and turned off motion judder and it seems to have fixed the problem i was having..so far...
post #280 of 1241 Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier_Kris View Post

Also i would like to know if anyone uses BDWISE and if its worth using? And i converted my set to C8000 and turned off motion judder and it seems to have fixed the problem i was having..so far...

I do use the BD-WIse setting.

It just seems to make the colour pop and create the wow factor.

Apart from that I use Mantis settings for tv and dvd watching.
post #281 of 1241 Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 AM

I use BD Wise for Blu Ray but not for standard DVDs. I turn BD Wise off for standard DVDs so that the player will upconvert them.

Dave
post #282 of 1241 Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was hoping the latest firmware update fixed a problem I'm having but it didn't. I get video/audio drop outs at the beginning of start up screens and also when I skip or FF I get audio drop outs for a about 5 seconds or so. In other words the start up from loading to playing a disc is not smooth at all but a series of sound and video ins and outs. It's becoming a little agravating. When the PS3 receives the update in September I'll be using that for 3D movies unless this problem gets fixed. I'm on the horn with Samsung as I type this to get this on record.
post #283 of 1241 Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM

I also use mantis settings as I have tried a few others and his seem to be the absolute best IMO. I am using the settings he provided for 1.19 though and I'm running the latest firmware. Has he provided any updated settings? If so could someone provide the page link? And thanks dkegel for answering my question on BdWise.
post #284 of 1241 Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there anyway someone that owns this player could check and see if when you select rgb for colorspace if the player outputs pc or video levels or gives the option to chose between the two? It is not clear in the owners manual and I need a player that supports rgb pc levels. Thanks in advance.
post #285 of 1241 Old 07-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

From what I've learned it appears to be only certain samsung servers. People have run traces and say that it dies when it hits servers in Korea (or Malaysia, don't remember which). So, depending on what part of the country you're in your internet@ signal gets routed to a different server.

I am in Florida (Palm Harbor). From my home I the BD-C6900 and my Samsung TV will not connect to the Internet@TV features. I cannot connect to the firmware download site either. I VPN'ed into my machine @ work only 15 miles away and was able to connect to the firmware download site without issue.

I'm using OpenDNS @ home. I've tried wireless, wired, static, and with my IP in the router DMZ. Nothing works. I'm thinking it's time to dump Verizon and get another ISP. As of now I'm on hold over 20 minutes waiting for Verizon support. They *really* suck out loud.
post #286 of 1241 Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Can some tell me if the C6900 has a 2.4 Ghz N wireless card or a 5 GHz N wireless card built into it?

I have the Linksys E3000 Router at home and wanted to put this player on the 5GHz N network.

Thank you.
post #287 of 1241 Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

major problem when upgrading firmware

i had a message on my player saying firmware upgrade available - i did the usual and selected yes (its connected wirelessly). the system powered down then came back on and now the player says "update" but the screen on my tv says checking software and thats it, its been like that for the last 30 mins - nothing seems to be working - is this normal when upgrading.

how big is the firmware update.

would i damage my machine by knocking the power off
post #288 of 1241 Old 07-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post

major problem when upgrading firmware

i had a message on my player saying firmware upgrade available - i did the usual and selected yes (its connected wirelessly). the system powered down then came back on and now the player says "update" but the screen on my tv says checking software and thats it, its been like that for the last 30 mins - nothing seems to be working - is this normal when upgrading.

how big is the firmware update.

would i damage my machine by knocking the power off

Mine wouldn't connect to the Samsung servers so I did my firmware update via USB thumbdrive and it was a fairly quick process.
post #289 of 1241 Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM

WTF is wrong with this piece of garbage? The player won't let you enter an apostrophe character when typing in the password. My internet password has an apostrophe in it, and all my wireless devices are synced to that password. It's 2010, there's no excuse for this.
post #290 of 1241 Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor View Post

Mine wouldn't connect to the Samsung servers so I did my firmware update via USB thumbdrive and it was a fairly quick process.

I got the update notification this week and I thought the upgrade went through. However, the BD player won't connect to the internet anymore. It says there was a change with my access point 802.11 setting. I didn't make any changes and I can connect the TV to the internet just fine (c8000). anyone else having an issue connecting to the internet after this last firmware attempt?
post #291 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 AM

I ended up having to knock the power off - luckily it came back on - no harm done.

one other question i have is whether the USB ports will power an external 2.5 USB drive. I am thinking of buying a usb powered drive and dont know whether the player will power the drive
post #292 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM

I just bought the 6900 player along with the UN55c7000 TV. My issue is that the network connection on the player keeps on dropping. I was not able to upgrade firmware through internet, but I was able to do that through the USB. So I now have the latest firmware, but still my network connection keeps dropping....I have 128bit WEP enabled, so I have to enter it every time (which is a huge pain). Is there any setting I need to tweak so that the connection does not drop every 15 minutes or so.

On another note, I have an issue with the YouTube. I have not been able to open it. Everytime I do that, it says an upgrade has taken place and need to turn off TV and start again. Not sure why it would say TV, but I did turn it off but still the same issue. Have turned off player also and tried that, but still the same issue....anyone else having that problem?
post #293 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imforumuser View Post

I just bought the 6900 player along with the UN55c7000 TV. My issue is that the network connection on the player keeps on dropping. I was not able to upgrade firmware through internet, but I was able to do that through the USB. So I now have the latest firmware, but still my network connection keeps dropping....I have 128bit WEP enabled, so I have to enter it every time (which is a huge pain). Is there any setting I need to tweak so that the connection does not drop every 15 minutes or so.

If you haven't already, can you give it a static IP? If that doesn't help, try toying with the encryption a little - change it to WPA, remove it entirely, etc... Also, if you're not broadcasting your SSID, do so. It's been my experience that BD players don't play well with non-broadcast SSIDs. Reboot the player after each change so it can "refresh."
post #294 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM

I have the same issue. Mine disconnects everytime I shut it off and won't reconnect on it's own. Too much of a pain for me to mes with the encryption types as I have a ton of other devices I'd also have to change so I gave up trying to figure it out. Although I may try the static IP idea

Dave
post #295 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Does anyone else notice the weird effect when playing Starz Play videos on Instant Netflix? Is this ghosting? It's just with Starz Play, the other videos look fine.
post #296 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

Does anyone else notice the weird effect when playing Starz Play videos on Instant Netflix? Is this ghosting? It's just with Starz Play, the other videos look fine.

Generally speaking, the Starz Play titles blow when it comes to quality. I do my best to avoid them, which can be pretty difficult since they have some great choices.
post #297 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM

If you gave up, what solution do you use to connect to internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post

I have the same issue. Mine disconnects everytime I shut it off and won't reconnect on it's own. Too much of a pain for me to mes with the encryption types as I have a ton of other devices I'd also have to change so I gave up trying to figure it out. Although I may try the static IP idea

Dave

post #298 of 1241 Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 PM

Hi guys, can anyone confirm if this player can convert blu ray movies with black bars into full screen picture as samsung claims? i want to buy one of these just for that reason but some people say it only works with dvd's some other say the picture quality gets bad etc.

Thanks in advance!
post #299 of 1241 Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriquillo View Post

Hi guys, can anyone confirm if this player can convert blu ray movies with black bars into full screen picture as samsung claims? i want to buy one of these just for that reason but some people say it only works with dvd's some other say the picture quality gets bad etc.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it does that. I tried once with a 3D blu-ray disc and it didn't let me but with a regular blu-ray it works fine and the black bars can go away. Keep in mind that also crops some from the side as it's nothing but a zoom to get the black bars out of the screen.
post #300 of 1241 Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imforumuser View Post

If you gave up, what solution do you use to connect to internet?

I don't really use the internet stuff.

Dave
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung Bd C6900 3d Blu Ray Player Refurbished , Samsung , Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C5500 B
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page