Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post
How do you keep the original aspect ratio of a 2:35:1 DVD? Whenever I use USB or LAN, it zooms it to somewhere between 2:35 and 1:85.
The same issue for both Samsung TV(LN40C610) and BD6900.
Isn't there a screen fit button that you can disable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 03:37 PM

I'll check again tomorrow when I get home, but if I remember correctly, the BD remote has a full screen button that can be toggled, or the tools button has a submenu for screen mode. The tv has p.size button to toggle zoom/screen, or the same results through menu under display.
When I play the same videos via wdtv gen1 hdmi, which does play m2ts, the AR is displayed correctly, and is actually better quality than sata/dock usb or LAN via tv ports or BD ports.

So are you able to display original 2.35:1 AR via USB or LAN?
post #723 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I'll check again tomorrow when I get home, but if I remember correctly, the BD remote has a full screen button that can be toggled, or the tools button has a submenu for screen mode. The tv has p.size button to toggle zoom/screen, or the same results through menu under display.
When I play the same videos via wdtv gen1 hdmi, which does play m2ts, the AR is displayed correctly, and is actually better quality than sata/dock usb or LAN via tv ports or BD ports.

So are you able to display original 2.35:1 AR via USB or LAN?
I'll check when I got home. I got to slave away 6 days a week to afford all this stuff.
post #724 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Heston,
I think I can get past the garbled audio on my TV on MKV files with DTS sound if I mess around with the audio out setting via HDMI. All this bitstream and PCM via HDMI is a bit confusing. I am used to the old school DD and DTS via bitstream thru the Toslink. Now I am finding about about all this lossless stuff via HDMI thru the newer receiver. In the old days, I have no problem plunking down $1000 for a good receiver. This days, I don't blast the subwoofer enough to upgrade the receiver just to get True Dolby or DTS HD, or whatever the newer term are for lossless multichanel sound.
post #725 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post

I'll check when I got home. I got to slave away 6 days a week to afford all this stuff.

LOL - I hear ya, hunkered down in a bunker with no radio, have to catch NU vs OK via internet updates.
post #726 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:

LOL - I hear ya, hunkered down in a bunker with no radio, have to catch NU vs OK via internet updates.

It played fine in 2:35:1 AR from the BDP USB port. There is a full screen button on the BDP remote to zoom it in.
post #727 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Can someone verify that any 2.5" external hard drive connected thru the c6800's USB port needs to have ac adapter connected to the hard drive? It seems the c6800's USB port can't provide enough power for bus-powered 2.5" external hard drive. Thanks.
post #728 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Sorry if this topic has already been addressed (although I looked and couldn't find anything similar).

I initially ordered a BD-C5900 with my Samsung HDTV and also ordered a Linkstick WiFi adapter since neither the TV or the C5900 have built in wireless. The Linkstick shipped, but I was at the last minute able to replace the C5900 with the C6900 before it shipped. Now I have the C6900 and the Linkstick, while the TV (PN50C8000) is due next week.

Now that I have a DVD player with built-in Wifi, I am planning to return the unopened Linkstick. Is there any reason not to? In other words, is there any benefit to having both TV and DVD player hooked up to my Wifi? Is it worth the $62 I paid for the Linkstick? I figured that both player and TV (TV isn't here yet) have the same apps and having Wifi connections on both would be redundant. Am I correct? Thanks !!!
post #729 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgoer View Post

Can someone verify that any 2.5" external hard drive connected thru the c6800's USB port needs to have ac adapter connected to the hard drive? It seems the c6800's USB port can't provide enough power for bus-powered 2.5" external hard drive. Thanks.

It sees my Seagate freeagent 500 GB USB powered HD but it won't see my 250 Western Digital USB powered HD.
post #730 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manara View Post

Sorry if this topic has already been addressed (although I looked and couldn't find anything similar).

I initially ordered a BD-C5900 with my Samsung HDTV and also ordered a Linkstick WiFi adapter since neither the TV or the C5900 have built in wireless. The Linkstick shipped, but I was at the last minute able to replace the C5900 with the C6900 before it shipped. Now I have the C6900 and the Linkstick, while the TV (PN50C8000) is due next week.

Now that I have a DVD player with built-in Wifi, I am planning to return the unopened Linkstick. Is there any reason not to? In other words, is there any benefit to having both TV and DVD player hooked up to my Wifi? Is it worth the $62 I paid for the Linkstick? I figured that both player and TV (TV isn't here yet) have the same apps and having Wifi connections on both would be redundant. Am I correct? Thanks !!!

It would be redundant if your Samsung TV already has the Internet@TV option.
post #731 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Is it worth the $62 I paid for the Linkstick? I figured that both player and TV (TV isn't here yet) have the same apps and having Wifi connections on both would be redundant. Am I correct? Thanks !!!

Quote:

It would be redundant if your Samsung TV already has the Internet@TV option.

^Yep just wifi the TV, it has more apps.
Here is the apps compatibility list.
post #732 of 1243 Old 12-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:

It played fine in 2:35:1 AR from the BDP USB port. There is a full screen button on the BDP remote to zoom it in.

Thanks, I'll try to figure mine out tomorrow.
post #733 of 1243 Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks for your responses - and that list was really useful. I may not have been clear originally: Basically I now have the BD-C6900, a DVD player which has built-in Wifi (no adapter needed). I'm not trying to decide between linking up the blu-ray player OR the TV, since the player already has built-in Wifi. I'm just asking if it would be overkill to use a Wifi adapter ($62) for the PN50C8000 TV since my C6900 player already is connected. Is there a benefit to having BOTH the TV and Blu-ray player linked separately to the internet, or is just the Blu-ray player (which, again, already has built-in Wifi) enough? I realize that if I had to choose which of the two to connect to the internet, the TV would be the better choice. But I don't have a choice with the Blu-ray player, it's already connected. Thanks!!
post #734 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Heston, by "uncompressed" I meant a blue ray rip of the main movie into an MKV container without applying any compression to make it smaller. The bit rate remains unchanged from the original blue ray disk, meaning it averages about 20+ Mbps.

I figured out the stuttering problem. It wasn't stuttering, the DTS audio is garbled. First of all, I am using a 500GB Seagate Free agent hard drive connected to the one and only front USB port of the 6800. For MKV files with both DTS and AC3 track, the DTS audio coming out of the TV speakers via HDMI input is garbled. If I switch the audio to the AC3 track, I can hear the sound just fine. The AC3 track is also sent via the optical out to my receiver. I don't have DTS on my old receiver but you can probably confirm that when selected, the DTS track is also sent via the optical out.

If I connected the hard drive(NTFS) directly to the back of the Samsung UN55C6400 TV and use it's Media Play feature, I can hear the DTS track just fine. The TV decodes it, and also sends the DTS or AC3 out via it's own optical out to the receiver. The TV also plays VOB file and I found out I have to rename the .vob to .mpg in order for the 6800 to see it.

Do you have a Samsung LED TV with Media Play feature? I was amazed that it upscales 720x480 ripped .vob files as well if not better than the upconversion provided by the 6800 when playing the same DVD. I can not tell the difference between the ripped .vob files as played by the TV vs the original DVD that was upscaled by the 6800 and sent to the TV at 1920x1080. If I turn on BD wise, the 6800 refuse to upscale the DVD and sends it thru the TV as 720x480. The TV then blows it up 1920x1080. My near vision is perfect since I can still read micro print and standing 2 feet from my 55 inch Samsung TV, I can not tell the difference between the 4 different ways of viewing the same movie, whether it is upscaled or upconverted.

Overall, I am very happy with the way that the 6800 upscale normal DVD since I was very suprised how well the LOTR extended edition looked on my 55 inch Samsung LED. I don't have the 6900 to compare so I can't say if it used the same chip.

Ah you mean remuxed bluray. I have several such mkv files that are in the area of 30+ Mbps and they manage to play with only a few video frame stutters. But to be honest, I'm usually playing them through USB/mediaplay on a Samsung plasma screen (PN58C8000) and just grab stereo out for audio.

The next time I watch some high-bitrate mkv's (remuxed blurays) I'll use bd-c6900 with DTS track selected and see if it stutters.

On the one hand mediaplay through the bd-c6900 has more features, like easier audio-track selection, etc. On the other hand, PN58C8000's mediaplay interface seems newer and I don't have to power the blu-ray player to use it.

edit: on bd-c6900 (firmware 1018.1) tested the highest bit-rate section of a remux'd bd movie with flying alien birds, waterfall and military helicopter scene, and DTS enabled. playback was smooth, no video or audio hiccups. I can suggest one more thing to try; an externally powered USB drive (which is what I use).
post #735 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 AM

After looking at your tv, it appears only to be wifi ready, so you would need the mentioned adapter to connect it to a wifi network. Adapters always tend to be stronger receiving the signals, when compared to built in wifi receivers. Since both products are Samsung, and both have the same Internet Apps, there is no point to having them both hooked up to the Internet. Also, I am not sure if this set has HDMI 1.4 spec. If so, then you would only need to connect the 6900 BR player to the wifi Internet connection, and purchase a connecting HDMI cable that is Ethernet capable. Then, the 6900 will provide the TV with any needed Ethernet connection, due to a feature of the HDMI 1.4 spec.

Good luck!

Quote:

Thanks for your responses - and that list was really useful. I may not have been clear originally: Basically I now have the BD-C6900, a DVD player which has built-in Wifi (no adapter needed). I'm not trying to decide between linking up the blu-ray player OR the TV, since the player already has built-in Wifi. I'm just asking if it would be overkill to use a Wifi adapter ($62) for the PN50C8000 TV since my C6900 player already is connected. Is there a benefit to having BOTH the TV and Blu-ray player linked separately to the internet, or is just the Blu-ray player (which, again, already has built-in Wifi) enough? I realize that if I had to choose which of the two to connect to the internet, the TV would be the better choice. But I don't have a choice with the Blu-ray player, it's already connected. Thanks!!

post #736 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Also, I am not sure if this set has HDMI 1.4 spec. If so, then you would only need to connect the 6900 BR player to the wifi Internet connection, and purchase a connecting HDMI cable that is Ethernet capable. Then, the 6900 will provide the TV with any needed Ethernet connection, due to a feature of the HDMI 1.4 spec.

Actually both TV and player use 1.4 HDMI. Nevertheless, the TV User's Manual which I saw online clearly states that this TV does not support Ethernet over HDMI (only 3D). Go figure, I couldn't understand that either!! That's why I posted my query, since if I wanted to use Apps on the TV, I would need a separate adapter despite the fact that it's HDMI 1.4 and should be able to use the player's connection!! Thanks for your response! I'll see how good (or bad) the player's built in Wifi is before I decide on the adapter for the TV. I still haven't received the TV....
post #737 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heston View Post

edit: on bd-c6900 (firmware 1018.1) tested the highest bit-rate section of a remux'd bd movie with flying alien birds, waterfall and military helicopter scene, and DTS enabled. playback was smooth, no video or audio hiccups. I can suggest one more thing to try; an externally powered USB drive (which is what I use).

It played the high bitrate MKV fine. It just won't decode the DTS track, even with a compressed 8Mbps MKV file. If I switched over to the AC-3 track, everything is fine. I am planning to use the bd-c6800 upstair with an older LCD TV for light duty with no AV receiver and surround sound. It's main use will be Netflix and some blue ray playback. The main room downstair already has the PS3. I moved it downstair and test it to see if the analog output with DTS track is decoded correctly. Nope. It will decode DTS blue ray disk just fine and the audio via HDMI input directly to the TV is not garbled. But DTS remux MKV files from the USB hard drive is not decoded correctly. Garbled sound when I use just the TV and the analog audio out is also garbled.

Now I doubt if the bitstream DTS output is handled correctly. I have not upgraded my old receiver which only handles AC-3.

Overall, the TV media play feature is more robust and handles more codecs(no need to rename .vob to .mpg). The TV also fast forward and rewinds better. Trying to fast forward and rewind using the BD-6800 will stop the file from playing. But you are right, subtitle and audio can be selected with one button on the BD-6800 remote. I was able to output 5.1 sound using both the TV optical out and the BD-6800 optical out so there is no issue there. Both unit also display subtitle just fine.

I can't return the unit to Costco and exchange it since they are sold out at that low price. I will check the 6800 thread and see if other people have problem decoding the DTS track on MKV file. Either way, it is a minor irritation. I just expected it to work the same way as the media play feature on the Samsung TV. Maybe the next update will fix it.
post #738 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Actually both TV and player use 1.4 HDMI. Nevertheless, the TV User's Manual which I saw online clearly states that this TV does not support Ethernet over HDMI (only 3D). Go figure, I couldn't understand that either!! That's why I posted my query, since if I wanted to use Apps on the TV, I would need a separate adapter despite the fact that it's HDMI 1.4 and should be able to use the player's connection!! Thanks for your response! I'll see how good (or bad) the player's built in Wifi is before I decide on the adapter for the TV. I still haven't received the TV....

It's just one more thing to turn on to use the Internet@TV feature. It is identical since the BD-C6900 also has Hulu Plus. I have the 6800 and using a lowly wireless B upstair away from the router which is down stair and I am getting 2.8 Mbps which handled Netflix HD without a problem. I wouldn't attemp to do Vudu HDX without a hard wired connection.
post #739 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks - I have a G upstairs and the TV will be downstairs. My Wii (downstairs) generally has no problems. Thanks again!
post #740 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Three benefits I can think of are (1) You can update the TV firmware over the internet easily. Otherwise you need to use a USB drive. (2) The TV supports different Apps than the player, specifically the streaming Explore 3D app. There's only 3 trailers on it now, but more is expected. (3) You won't have access to the Yahoo widgets.

I realize that these aren't the greatest of benefits, but nonetheless they exist.
post #741 of 1243 Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

I realize that these aren't the greatest of benefits, but nonetheless they exist.

Good points though. Thanks!
post #742 of 1243 Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
I wouldn't attemp to do Vudu HDX without a hard wired connection.
I view HDX all the time and it works perfectly over wireless N. The connection test of the Samsung is misleading at best.

post #743 of 1243 Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
The connection test of the Samsung is misleading at best.
Yes, as it tests to South Korea

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #744 of 1243 Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM

I have a Linksys e3000 router and have media share enabled and I'm trying Mezzmo to see if I can share some additional content better.

I also have a un65c8000 hooked up. I can see both the Linksys and Mezzmo from the tv media player but I can't get either to show up on the blue ray player ???

I click on device but it just shows no disk.

I have verified network connectivity and internet functions work fine.

Any thoughts?
post #745 of 1243 Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I just hooked up the Samsung BD-C6900. All is well, but the wireless aspect. Sorry if I missed this in the forums, but I cannot connect this to my network...

I cannot figure out how to configure the wireless set-up for this blue-ray player. I have a wireless N router (Dlink DIR-655) with WPA/WPA2 encryption for six computers and several other devices on my network. The Samsung blue ray will not allow me to hook up to my encrypted network as it is now.

I noticed a note on Page 29 of the user manual: "If Pure High-throughput (Greenfield) 802.11n mode is selected and the encryption type is set to WEP, TKIP or TKIP-AES (WPS2Mixed) for your AP, this player will not support a connection in compliance with new Wi-Fi certification specification". Am I out of luck?

So, how do you set this up without changing encryption keys on all my other devices? Am I missing something? Please help! Any specific advice on how others have set this up on an encrypted network would be helpful and appreciated.
post #746 of 1243 Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbtaylor View Post

I just hooked up the Samsung BD-C6900. All is well, but the wireless aspect. Sorry if I missed this in the forums, but I cannot connect this to my network...

I cannot figure out how to configure the wireless set-up for this blue-ray player. I have a wireless N router (Dlink DIR-655) with WPA/WPA2 encryption for six computers and several other devices on my network. The Samsung blue ray will not allow me to hook up to my encrypted network as it is now.

I noticed a note on Page 29 of the user manual: "If Pure High-throughput (Greenfield) 802.11n mode is selected and the encryption type is set to WEP, TKIP or TKIP-AES (WPS2Mixed) for your AP, this player will not support a connection in compliance with new Wi-Fi certification specification". Am I out of luck?

So, how do you set this up without changing encryption keys on all my other devices? Am I missing something? Please help! Any specific advice on how others have set this up on an encrypted network would be helpful and appreciated.

I had to go into the router online and add the player to allowed devices for the router. Just get the info from the player and plug it in for the router.
post #747 of 1243 Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
I had to go into the router online and add the player to allowed devices for the router. Just get the info from the player and plug it in for the router.
Thanks, but this seems to be an encryption issue and not a "add a device" issue. Allowing the MAC address of the device on the router won't change the acceptance of the encryption over 802.11n, correct?
post #748 of 1243 Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks, but this seems to be an encryption issue and not a "add a device" issue. Allowing the MAC address of the device on the router won't change the acceptance of the encryption over 802.11n, correct?
Sorry, I am not using "n" and do not know the answer to that.
post #749 of 1243 Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I had the same problem until I realized that the password entry is all uppercase while my password is mostly lower case. Once i figured out how to switch to lower case (button A or B I think), it worked!
post #750 of 1243 Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM

I was thinking of picking up one of these bluray players but i have a receiver that is only 1.3 HDMI. If i dont plan on watching 3d movies, would i still be able to use my receiver for HD audio? Or do I need a receiver that has 1.4 HDMI?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung Bd C6900 3d Blu Ray Player Refurbished , Samsung , Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C5500 B
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page