Official Samsung BD-C6900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this player have a screen saver? Does it blank the screen when at the menu or paused movie? Is it plasma friendly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

Does this player have a screen saver? Does it blank the screen when at the menu or paused movie? Is it plasma friendly?

Yes, screen goes black and Samsung logo keeps moving around (for 10 minutes or so, then it will shutdown).
Old 03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Coming from an LG BD 390 that got the dreaded "disc read error" after 1-year of use, I then purchased the Samsung c6900.

I must say the Samsung's c6900's scaling abilities seem to be mediocre compared to the LG BD 390, and the settings adjustment in the Samsung's menu's are sorely lacking. For instance, there is no brightness adjustment in the main settings menu, its hidden in the picture settings when watching a movie. Not uncommon though to see these sub-standard user-interface designs in the devices of today. I almost wonder if people that design user interfaces these days have IQ's lower than my cat.

Sorry, but the LG BD 390 has a much better image in Netflix when scaling non-HD content to 720p, or even scaling 720p to 1080p.

Netflix is not a problem with the c6900 on my Internet connection, there is no re-assesment of the connection speed like some report, this will happen on nearly every BD player with Netflix when you have marginal Internet speeds (5Mbps-8Mbps is marginal for Netflix HD Stream), some BD players are slightly worse than others and will do a bit better at connection management due to buffering techniques.

It is also not a proper test to assume that a laptop or PC using Netflix that does not have the same issue of "connection speed re-testing" is a cause to assume that the player itself is not working optimally, because the type of communication that occurs is slightly different between Netflix on a PC and Netflix on an BluRay type device. There is also issues with cheap routers that come with ISP's, these routers often do not correctly split connection bandwidth between multiple devices (known as QOS), see even routers that have no QOS still have to assess and divide multiple Internet connections in a generic manner, and some routers are just screwy and mess up one connection even if another PC is just barely active on the Internet.

If your connection is 10Mbps+ you should be fine, although I haven't tried the wireless mode since I run a direct cable. My connection is around 15-20Mbps.

That said, the Samsung is just OK IMO, a bit over-rated. I will probably keep it since it does the job, plays the BD's that I need, but the image quality is definitely not an improvement over the LG when testing scaling. I cannot compare regular Blurays between the 2 devices since the LG no-longer can read a disc (it's broken), but from my memory the LG looked a tad bit better for Blurays as well, and the LG definitely looks better for Netflix streaming and scaling (which I did compare since my LG's netflix still works).

I am using a 106" screen with a projector, so I can likely see the differences of the image quality much more than you would see on a typical TV. The contrast and color reproduction for scaled images is not as good as the LG BD390 was. I would have ordered another LG, but heard too many people with the dreaded "disc error", and since I already have one LG coaster (now only useable as a Netflix device), then I didn't want to take another chance on having another LG break on me.

The interface is annoying, but not necessarily horrible, it is very LAGGY to respond to the remote commands. The netflix interface is not bad since it at least has a search function, but it is useless to me because they did not include the "HD" as one of the Genres in the NetFlix list, which means I still have to use my home computer to add things to the instant queue.

All-in-all it is just an ok blu-ray player, but the only thing I have to compare it to is the LG BD390. Personally if I had to do it over, I would get a different player, and I am even considering a return, but will likely not return it because I ordered it from a fairly unknown vendor that might not be the easiest to handle an RMA. However, I don't really care about the scaler since I cannot stand to watch NON-HD content on a 106" screen anyways (720p is as low as you want to go for this large a screen).

The one benefit it does have over my older LG is a slightly wider selction of streaming service support (Hulu Plus, Pandora, etc...), but the new LG's likely have added all this by now.

I don't know why or how people are comparing upscaling on small TV's, any differences you would see are very minimal to the eye, you need a huge screen like a projector to really see the differences of what an upscaling device can do, unless you just sit abnormally close to your plasma or TV, but even then it's still easier to see these details on a projector.

I'm not saying you can't tell the difference between 480p and 720p on a big TV, I know you can, what I am saying is trying to see the difference of what a scaler does from 480p to 720p is VERY hard on anything smaller than an 80" screen unless you are standing near point-blank to the device. Remember, the scaler differences are somewhat minimal until you get to really big screens.

The build quality also seems cheap, but honestly it's just a guess, because you cannot tell build quality unless I opened up the device and looked at the individual parts they used (are they using cheapo capacitors that are producing too much heat for instance?). So build quality is a big question mark as with most electronics, the device looks fine from a aesthetic standpoint, but the slimness of the DEVICE does scare me, as I have too much experience with slim devices retaining too much heat and over-heating as the electronics in them get older.

The Samsung c6900 gets 3 stars from me.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I love my 6900. I have a Panasonic BD30 which is OK but this one is sfar better on all counts. It certainly boots faster. The upscaling is superb when watching DVD's certainly as good as my previous standard for upgrading, the A-35 HDDVD.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I searched this thread and I don't see that anyone else posted a hum/hiss coming from their speakers w/this model. Either I didn't notice it before or it just started happening but my C6900 is connected to a 4x2 switch splitter via HDMI for video and to my Denon 3808 via component 7.1 audio cables. I've ruled out the audio cables or the AVR as the cause or a bad HDMI cable. It's using the HDMI from the C6900 that's causing the hum/hiss in my speakers. If I unplug the HDMI from either the unit itself or the splitter/switch the hum/hiss goes away. The other direct connect into the splitter/switch (a PS3) does not create any hum/hiss so it's just this player.
Anyone else connecting their C6900 this way and getting a hum/hiss?

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a floating ground somewhere or a ground loop. If you connect the 6900 directly, does it work better? HDMI switchers ar notorious for producing your type of issue.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help!
I was glad to recieve this BD-C6900,I backed all my Blu-ray to mkv ,they play great on my PC no errors.
Playing them with PCShareManager a problem all regular wmv files are fine - until mkv studder video and audio?.
Netflix dropout video goes black in n out at times ?

Network problem or this is noted ?

Linksys E1000 Router
Linksys AE1000 Wireless Adapter
Onkyo Tx-SR608 using HDMI 1.4

Thanks if any INFO.

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Hi, am thinking about purchasing the Samsung BD-C6900 or BD-C7900 to replace my old Samsung BD-UP5000 which plays HD-DVD & Blu-ray discs
Am looking toward the future if i decide to buy 3D TV
Since i primary use the BD5000 now for all blu-ray discs the load time & the poor performance is finally getting to me
Was told by Samsung 2nd level tech guy that either of these two players were good choices because of it's fast load speed & excellent performance
Does anyone know the load time for these machines, heard 15 seconds or less from disc in to FBI warning Logo ?
Advantage to 7900 because of 2 hdmi connections, but costs a little more
Would the BD-C7900 be compatible with my Onkyo 805 receiver using 1.3 HDMI cable & of the two HDMI ports can i use 1.3 HDMI cable to my Onkyo 805 receiver
Was wondering if the upscaling for regular dvd’s on the BD-C6900 or BD-C57900 is as good as BD-UP50000
My equipment is as follows
Sony Bravia 52 "
Onkyo 805 receiver
was told i wouldn't have to change from 1.3 HDMI to 1.4 HDMI until i purchased 3D TV
Am retired and really am not into WiFi & internet stuff, just want excellent player that loads fast & plays just about all discs without problems
Will still use my BD-UP50000 for playing my HD DVD discs
Would greatly appreciate advice from someone who actually owns the BD-C6900
Marty
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler View Post

I am using the latest firmware on all devices including the 6900.

Of course, Samsung recommends to simply reset the 6900 as usual.

I posted a thread regarding the 6900 24p error I am having from time to time.
Shown here

Does anyone experience their 24p menu setting on the 6900 switch from "On" to "Off" even though you did not change the setting? I have everything set up correctly down stream from the 6900. I am using An Onkyo TX-NR3008 and Samsung PN58C8000 with the following video settings:

C8000: Film Mode - Cinema Smooth
NR3008: Resolution - Source. Picture mode - Through.

Those settings allow the 6900 to send either 60hz or 24hz video pending the source material (i.e. DVD VS BD), however, sometimes the 24p menu setting on the 6900 mysteriously reverts to "Off" with no logic as to why that I can figure.

Anyone else running in to this?

I own 2 of these players. One switches 24 off, the other doesn't. What's the deal?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post

I own 2 of these players. One switches 24 off, the other doesn't. What's the deal?

I should qualify my response: the one that switches off is connected to Yamaha RX-V 667, the other directly to TV.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM

@Peter Johnson: My 24fps stays on and my 6900 is connected thru a Yamaha HTR4063 AVR. I've heard the sometimes the "source" HDMI device (bluray player, cable box, etc) can get confused based on the order in which you turn devices on/off. My cable box forgets native mode unless I always turn ON the AVR LAST and turn OFF the AVR FIRST. Also, see if your AVR has any firmware updates.

@tino11215: I am happy with my 6900 connect thru my Yamaha HTR4063 to my non-3D Samsung TV. My yammy is HDMI 1.3, but it seems to work OK as I am not using 3D yet. Also, my yammy had a firmware update for 3D-passthru, so it should work if I buy a 3D TV in the future. I haven't measured the loadtime of 6900, but it seems pretty good to me. The PQ on my 1080p TV seems very good. We were watching Avatar DVDs (not bluray) and some of our viewers thought it WAS bluray - the DVD upscaler PQ is quite good. If you get a 6900, try to get it connected to the internet for firmware updates and BD+ content.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC View Post

Help!
I was glad to recieve this BD-C6900,I backed all my Blu-ray to mkv ,they play great on my PC no errors.
Playing them with PCShareManager a problem all regular wmv files are fine - until mkv studder video and audio?.
Netflix dropout video goes black in n out at times ?

Network problem or this is noted ?

Linksys E1000 Router
Linksys AE1000 Wireless Adapter
Onkyo Tx-SR608 using HDMI 1.4

Thanks if any INFO.

getting back to my post my router is close to my bluray player i hard wired it now everything is fine,strange does these have a bad wifi in them?

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Old 03-12-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So has anyone done local streaming of MKV files?

I have a bunch of blurays that I ripped to my harddrive. They are a straight rips(no reencoding) using MakeMKV(most are VC-1). They play perfectly on my Boxee box and the 4 that actually show up on my GoogleTV unit's media player play perfectly as well.

When I play them on the BD-C6900, they play, but stutter. Every few seconds the video stops then picks up again. This is using a wired connection from a networked drive. I am sure it has nothing to do with the drive itself because it works perfectly elsewhere.

Is it that the 6900 just can't handle the processing fast enough? I dunno but I was hoping they would work.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 PM

I use twonky and play 720p and 1080i mkv's fine when I changed the profiles for twonky to samsung player (as opposed to generic dlna).
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

So has anyone done local streaming of MKV files?

I have a bunch of blurays that I ripped to my harddrive. They are a straight rips(no reencoding) using MakeMKV(most are VC-1). They play perfectly on my Boxee box and the 4 that actually show up on my GoogleTV unit's media player play perfectly as well.

When I play them on the BD-C6900, they play, but stutter. Every few seconds the video stops then picks up again. This is using a wired connection from a networked drive. I am sure it has nothing to do with the drive itself because it works perfectly elsewhere.

Is it that the 6900 just can't handle the processing fast enough? I dunno but I was hoping they would work.

my post up , same here i thought wireless was the problem,then agian hardwired now problem came back stutter like mad .mkv files

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:

my post up , same here i thought wireless was the problem,then agian hardwired now problem came back stutter like mad .mkv files

I tried an mkv on my 6900, but I think it was on a USB stick, not via network - try that just to see if that helps (rule out networking). I didn't have issues but either I didn't play my mkv file long enough or it's encoded differently.

Also, check the output setting in the 6900 (can't remember its name exactly). I think there was a setting that either forced the output of the 6900 to a certain res (720p, 1080p, etc) or you could set it to auto - which means the 6900 will push the native res of the video out the HDMI port without resampling. My guess is that if the 6900 has to resample the mkv file, it might be a bit overloaded so it might be better that it didn't have to do any work.

I also noticed my Samsung TV (LN46C530) does a better job of videos-on-USB. The TV supports more formats and also supports a USB harddrive with different partitions (FAT, NTFS, EXT3); the 6900 doesn't like the harddrive at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I've had the Samsung c6900 for about six months. The c6900 freezes once or twice during every playback of a blu-ray disk. None of the buttons on the remote will work except the power button. The only solution is to power the c6900 off and then back on, then tediously forward back to the point of the freeze.

In addition, there are at least a half a dozen times during playback of every blu-ray disk when the audio drops out for about two seconds.

Neither problem is related to the disks. Even the most pristine disk exhibits these freeze up / audio drop out issues. Replaying the disk at the same location always fails to duplicate the freeze up / audio drop out. In other words, the timing is random and is not related to the disk.

I had assumed that the problem would be worked out in due course by a firmware update. However, I've installed the latest firmware (my third) with no improvement.

Without having to plow through all 1,000+ messages on this thread, is there any real solution to these issues? Or is blu-ray just a bag of hurt, in the words of Steve Jobs?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM

countless times calling samsung,there open 24/7 service so you know what they tell you from there book in front of them i really doubt there technicians.
they said best we can do is send someone to service your bluray until giving my serial no go it is out of labor warranty i did purchase this brand new from ebay just did'nt think it was that back dated.it is what it is ,maybe we pray firmware will correct are issues.

1. wifi does'nt work good
2 .mkv files stutter & audio drop outs
3. any bluray disc with dts audio will stutter also
4. netflix picture will drop in n out ocassionally

lets all see what happens when starwars comes in bluray ,that'll be exciting

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:

until giving my serial no go it is out of labor warranty i did purchase this brand new from ebay just did'nt think it was that back dated.

1. wifi does'nt work good .... 4. netflix picture will drop in n out ocassionally

Eagle PC,

My situation is similar to yours. I bought my c6900 on Ebay. It was new in terms of "unopened," but not so new in terms of "recently manufactured."

I suspect that your problems with wifi and netflix are interrelated. I had a terrible time getting wifi to work well -- see my post # 639 in this thread. I got that worked out eventually on my own.

The explanation would be lengthy to post. So first let me know if your situation is exactly the same as mine: (1) You have two boxes to configure. (2) One box was supplied by your telco or cable provider, and it contains a modem, a firewall, and a router. (3) The second box was purchased separately by you, and it contains a router, a firewall, and a wireless access point.

If this sounds exactly like you, post back and I'll type out the whole song and dance.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Steve, I have the exact setup you just described, and I have resigned to using wireless on my TV and wired on the Blu-Ray due to continuous drops. I'm curious to your solution, please share!

Burned by Toshiba DLP...
Samsung LED FTW!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 AM

Is anyone using the internal audio decoding for DTS-HD / Dolby True HD, etc.? How does it stack up to most AV receivers' decoding of the audio formats via HDMI? My Rotel RSX-1057 doesn't do audio via HDMI, and therefore I would need to use the 7.1 ch. analog audio outputs (5.1 in my case). How do these two methods generally compare?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 AM

I have an old processor so I use the analog outs from the bluray player. So the blu ray does the decoding works great the bluray HD sound is definately better than the old DD5.1. I can compare directly because I also have the digital out hooked up so my old processor can decode the old DD5.1. Although there is really no point in having this any more
hope this helps
Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 AM

when I first hooked up my player I have to use the analog outs to my old processor. The only cables I had around were 6 of the very cheap rca cables. It sounds great but I want to upgrade my cables.

Has anyone done this and if so was there an improvement? I am thinking of two sets of kimber kable pbj's (about $200 total) for the center, sub, front right front left and just leaving the cheap cables for the rear. One reason for kimber is I already have some in my system
thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM

We have a Samsung BD-C6900 also. Had it for several months now. Bought new from amazon.com. We are getting the frequent freezes during playback. The discs are clean. Sometimes we have entire regions of a disc that just aren't playable (e.g., several minutes). The player freezes when you encounter them and you need to figure out a way to skip over it - usually a power cycle. To add insult to injury the "memorize" function seems to only rarely work. If you hit "stop" then the next time you play that disc the player is supposed to offer resuming where you left off. Useful for watching a disc over two or more sessions - but it rarely works. Do these features generally work for everyone meaning we somehow ended up with a defective unit?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlternative View Post

Steve, I have the exact setup you just described, and I have resigned to using wireless on my TV and wired on the Blu-Ray due to continuous drops. I'm curious to your solution, please share!

Sorry, just checked back. I'll post on Friday evening or Saturday at the latest.

In the meantime, your situation may not be improved by my wireless setup. My problem was that I couldn't connect wirelessly to the Samsung c6900 at all, while your problem is drop outs.

The single most likely cause of drop outs (assuming adequate signal strength on the c6900's bar graph) is interference from your neighbors' wireless networks. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you install the absolutely excellent, freeware utility WirelessNetView from www.nirsoft.net. Nirsoft.NET is a real gem, but avoid nirsoft[dot]COM like the plague; it's a malicious phishing site.

WirelessNetView only works when installed on a laptop with an internal wireless adapter. You'll find that there are far more wireless networks in your neighborhood than you ever dreamed possible. The wireless utility built into Windows only shows the tip of the iceberg. Essentially, you're sharing bandwidth with neighbors on the same channel.

The Samsung won't work on the new 5GHz band. There are only three real channels on the old 2.4GHz band: 1, 6 and 11. The usual advice is to use channel 11, but I found that everyone was using either 6 or 11 in my neighborhood, with only three competing wireless networks on channel 1. So don't make any assumptions without checking first.

The other bad advice that's commonly offered is to use 40MHz bandwidth, sometimes called channel bonding or by a some similar name. Channel bonding sounds great in theory because you get to use two channels to double your bandwidth. But remember, there are only three channels to share on the 2.4GHz band. Channel bonding is a great feature on the 5GHz band because there are lots of unique channels that go unused. However, it's only useful on the 2.4GHz band if you happen to live in a very rural neighborhood with no competing networks. The practical result in the burbs is to make interference worse and cause drop outs.

Try setting bandwidth to "20MHz only" on your wireless access point, as well as making sure you're on the least used of channels 1, 6 or 11.

BTW, be sure to check for competing networks at several different times and on different days. My neighborhood can have as few as 3 or as many as 14 depending on when I check.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Small warning...

My player is having problems with Tron Legacy 3D and Tangeled 3D. The picture 'stutters' everytime the frame changes. Anyone else out there happen to have these early and can give it a shot?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Small warning...

My player is having problems with Tron Legacy 3D and Tangeled 3D. The picture 'stutters' everytime the frame changes. Anyone else out there happen to have these early and can give it a shot?

I have ordered Tron Legacy 3D, but I haven't received it yet, I'll give it a try as soon as I get my disc. Don't you have any other players like PS3 to test it on?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by avie View Post

We have a Samsung BD-C6900 also.

The player is buggy, plain and simple.
Don't even get me started on the Fast Forward then image noise appears problem.
Sometimes if you use 6x FF, after you stop, there is image noise in the picture for a couple minutes, then it magically clears up.
It happens on some discs and not others it seems.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 PM

Hello. I just bought this player today and have the hdmi connected to my panasonic tc-p50gt25 and have the 7.1 output connected to my pioneer vsx-d812 also have the toslink connected as well. One more tidbit, I am currently using only the 5.1 but will be going to 7.1. How do I set up the player to use the decoders internally? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonman View Post
I have ordered Tron Legacy 3D, but I haven't received it yet, I'll give it a try as soon as I get my disc. Don't you have any other players like PS3 to test it on?
Nope, just the SAMSUNG 6900. Let me know what happens when you play it.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd C6900 3d Blu Ray Player Refurbished , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C5500 B