Official Samsung BD-C6900 3-D Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1241 Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to see the bluray player on the network? i got it connected wirelessly without a problem.

I'm trying to use the "play to" functionality of windows 7. My samsung tv in another room shows up in the menu but the bluray player does not?? I thought with DLNA, it shouldnt be a problem??!

any help/input/experiences appreciated. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1241 Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviesLover View Post

I posted the above problem 3 months ago and got no responses. Am i really the only one that has this?!?!?!

Nope. I have both.
post #1083 of 1241 Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM

I try to use Netflix on Samsung Blue-Ray player BD-C6900 connected via HDMI to Samsung AV receiver HW-C770S. Blue-Ray player is connected to home network via wi-fi. BR player audio output setting is PCM and I see that the receiver accepts the incoming audio as DOLBY (the display lights up accordingly with all 7 channels on and the Dolby logo on).

Home network was upgraded with a long range WIFI server. Bandwidth not the problem.

Now to the issue at hand: BR player goes to Netflix within a few seconds and buffers any movie in a matter of 10 seconds or so. Video plays beautifully with no interruption. Audio cuts out every 5-10 seconds for 5-10 seconds.

When I look at the receiver, I see that the audio input vanishes: the Dolby logo goes off and only the HDMI input light stays on. After a few seconds, the Dolby light goes back on and sound is totally fine (and high quality too) until it cuts off again.

When I go to Pandora where there is presumably no or very limited video, the diagnostic is the same: the audio cuts off in the same way at about the same frequency...The AV display goes blank when the sound goes off.

In other words, how can I troubleshoot this? There are so many parameters I am not sure where to start. I know that I can plug my IPad into Receiver using the new HDMI output cable but is that a good idea? Is the BR player defective? Firmware into the receiver? How could I tell?

Note that I tried in the morning and at night, thinking that the issue may be related to "global" bandwidth. Saw a difference on "Mr. Bean" but not on "2012" so not a robust option + it needs to work at night.
post #1084 of 1241 Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Hi,

I just joined up and read through a number of pages on this thread and now my eyes are sore and my brain is near it's LEL (lower explosive limit). Lot's of information here!!

Here's my situation: A week ago I had an old CRT TV and just a regular DVD player and an old AV receiver and a crude 5.1 surround sound system. I just bit the bullet and bought myself a Samsung 3D plasma PN50C8000 TV and an Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver and a Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-Ray player (of course you knew that). I got the Samsung items on sale because they were 2010 products.

Here's a page with the specs on the Onkyo if you're interested:

www. whathifi.com/review/onkyo-tx-nr609/specs

Take the space out of the URL after www. to make it work)

I also recently purchased a D-Link DNS-323 NAS device with a couple 2 TB drives in it. It is hardwired into my G-spec wireless router.

My goal is to use the NAS drive as a media center and be able to stream Blu-Ray and 3D Blu-Ray (and regular DVD quality) media and other video files and view them on my TV. Occasionally I will play Blu ray or 3-D blu ray disks on the player.

Now every component that I've mentioned has ethernet (N spec) but only the BD-C6900 has wireless capability unless I purchase a wireless dongle for the Onkyo AV Receiver. They all are HDMI 1.4 compatible too.

There's no way to run ethernet cable to my AV equipment in the basement so the only way to connect to the NAS drive is through wireless.

Now that you have all the background info, I have a few questions:

1. From what I can determine on this thread and other on-line sources it appears that the BD-C6900 is capable of doing everything I want it to? Am I correct in coming to that conclusion?

2. I paid about $240 CAD (I live in Canada) for the BD-C6900 and can still take it back to the store if I want. Did I make a good choice in buying the BD-C6900 or is there another 3D Blu-Ray player out there that would've been a better choice? (Bear in mind I don't want to spend a lot more on the 3D BR player than I spent on the BD-C6900 but I might go up to around $300 if there's a compelling reason to spend the extra money on a different player.)

3. Is my G spec wireless network going to be fast enough to stream Blu-Ray and 3D Blu-ray from the NAS drive or am I likely going to have to upgrade the wireless router to N spec?

Thanks in advance.
post #1085 of 1241 Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The DLink NAS should be able to stream video to the Samsung player, but I don't think it's DLNA certified, and DLNA compatibility is always kind of hit and miss anyway. Maybe someone who has that specific NAS can confirm the compatibility. Or you can just test it yourself.

Wireless G may be too slow to stream hi-def reliably, depending on how good your connection is. Try it first. If your wireless connection is not good enough, an alternative would be Powerline Ethernet (kits offered for as little as $50/pair by sources like Dell.ca).
post #1086 of 1241 Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 377
The 6900 will detect NAS on the network according to DLNA specs and it will show up in the menu just as a USB drive does.

It will not play any file formats that are outside of the DLNA specs.

post #1087 of 1241 Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The 6900 will detect NAS on the network according to DLNA specs and it will show up in the menu just as a USB drive does.

It will not play any file formats that are outside of the DLNA specs.

Do I need to install Allshare on on the NAS or some other media server software?

As far as the file formats within the DNLA specs goes, would these be the only supported file formats (with very specific codecs) or are there more?

Avi, mp4, mpg, vob, vro.

I was pretty sure that I read somewhere that people were able to stream and play .mkv files on the 6900. Is that correct?

With a minimum amount of tweaking I can install TwonkyServer on the D-Link NAS. Would that be worthwhile?

I've read that their latest version(s) work(s) very well with streaming mkvs.

And again, given this scenario, would I be better off with a different 3D Blu-Ray player ? If so, which one(s) should I look at?

Thanks again.
post #1088 of 1241 Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM

It sayeth that there is new software available, turn off player to download new software...Argh...

YouTube runs okay, but NetFlix or the player itself thinks there is new software...HELP..!!!

In Settings, I check and the player has the latest software...
post #1089 of 1241 Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 PM

I apologize if this topic has been covered already, but this thread is a bit long to read every post.
I just bought my dad his first blu ray player, the c6900. His tv only has a component connection and the blu ray manual reads as if this player will only pass a 480i/480p signal through the component connection with dvd disc.
Will this player not up convert better than 480i/480p with a component connection?

Glenn
post #1090 of 1241 Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennds View Post

Will this player not up convert better than 480i/480p with a component connection?

The 6900 will output all native resolutions to 1080i over component but it will only upconvert over HDMI. That's the case with most Blu-ray players.

post #1091 of 1241 Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the confirmation.
post #1092 of 1241 Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM

I have a BD-C6900 and was trying to play video on my Samsung PN57c800 3-D TV through my Pioneer receiver VSX-1021 that should be able to transmit the video, but it doesn't. Can anybody help?
post #1093 of 1241 Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

While actively watching material (movie/TV show/whatever) on Netflix I sometimes see a black screen that seems to last for a frame or two, it seems to come and go but it's definitely some kind of artifact. Sometimes it occurs with high frequency (every five to ten seconds or so), and sometimes it might not show itself for some time.

Is anyone else seeing something similar?

I am.

I am attached to the router via cable, so it isn't a speed issue. And my son has a Sony Blu-Ray player that is connected via WiFi and he isn't having ANY problems with Netflix, which is where i am seeing this behavior.

(I was unable to get the WiFi to work with my Samsung BD-C6900, even though I have probably attached at least a dozen WiFi devices to my router without a single problem until now... so Samsung has clearly screwed up this rather basic implementation... worse, the error messages make no sense (can't ping the Gateway when using DHCP, Network Interference when assigning an IP rather than use DHcP, etc.).

The black-frame blinking problem really bugs me knowing that my son is not having this problem with his Sony blu-ray. Wish Samsung would take this issue seriously and FIX it as it seems to be rather common.
post #1094 of 1241 Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 PM

posted this in different area/thread, but got no reply...will try in this thread.

does anyone here use mlb.tv with their samsung tv or blu-ray players? i have the pn59d8000 and bd-c6900, both connected via ethernet, and have been having issues with the mlb.tv app with both devices (the whole time i've owned them). basically, the game will start streaming, and after a while (can be a few minutes to several minutes), the game will freeze up, and more often than not, will not resume. either it will kick back to the main menu (with the list of the day's games), pop up a message saying "cannot connect to server", or worst of all (if using the tv) will reboot the tv. this doesn't happen when watching on the computer. anyone else experience such things, or have any suggestions? i guess i'll try contacting samsung or mlb.tv if this keeps up. thanks!
post #1095 of 1241 Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Is anyone else having trouble linking your Vimeo account to your app?
post #1096 of 1241 Old 07-05-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billym2010 View Post

I am.

I am attached to the router via cable, so it isn't a speed issue. And my son has a Sony Blu-Ray player that is connected via WiFi and he isn't having ANY problems with Netflix, which is where i am seeing this behavior.

(I was unable to get the WiFi to work with my Samsung BD-C6900, even though I have probably attached at least a dozen WiFi devices to my router without a single problem until now... so Samsung has clearly screwed up this rather basic implementation... worse, the error messages make no sense (can't ping the Gateway when using DHCP, Network Interference when assigning an IP rather than use DHcP, etc.).

The black-frame blinking problem really bugs me knowing that my son is not having this problem with his Sony blu-ray. Wish Samsung would take this issue seriously and FIX it as it seems to be rather common.

I believe that happens when Netflix switches resolutions, which it monitors constantly to change with variations in bandwidth speeds. I agree it should not happen, but I see it too and always notice a change in picture quality at the same time. My guess is that it is a bug in the app for Samsung devices.
post #1097 of 1241 Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet01 View Post
posted this in different area/thread, but got no reply...will try in this thread.

does anyone here use mlb.tv with their samsung tv or blu-ray players? i have the pn59d8000 and bd-c6900, both connected via ethernet, and have been having issues with the mlb.tv app with both devices (the whole time i've owned them). basically, the game will start streaming, and after a while (can be a few minutes to several minutes), the game will freeze up, and more often than not, will not resume. either it will kick back to the main menu (with the list of the day's games), pop up a message saying "cannot connect to server", or worst of all (if using the tv) will reboot the tv. this doesn't happen when watching on the computer. anyone else experience such things, or have any suggestions? i guess i'll try contacting samsung or mlb.tv if this keeps up. thanks!
I've never tried MLB.TV since I believe you have to pay for it (just replying to your post to help bump it).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1098 of 1241 Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billym2010 View Post

I was unable to get the WiFi to work with my Samsung BD-C6900, even though I have probably attached at least a dozen WiFi devices to my router without a single problem until now... so Samsung has clearly screwed up this rather basic implementation... worse, the error messages make no sense (can't ping the Gateway when using DHCP, Network Interference when assigning an IP rather than use DHcP, etc.

I had a similar problem that plagued me for months. You can find a couple of my old posts in this thread where I asked for help that never came. Eventually, I got the wireless in my BD-c6900 working on my own. Here's what worked for me:

My wireless consists of a DSL modem/router supplied by Verizon and a Belkin router/wireless access point that I purchased separately.

The default IP address of the Verizon modem/router (on the LAN side) is in the 192.168.0.x range. For the Belkin router/wireless access point, the default IP address is in the 192.168.2.y range.

I configured the Verizon modem/router in fairly conventional manner. The WAN side is configured as per Verizon. Its router function is turned on, with a static LAN IP address set to 192.168.0.1. DCHP server is turned off. DNS passthrough is turned on.

The Belkin's router is also turned on, and is configured to "static" mode. Its WAN port is plugged into a LAN port on the Verizon modem/router. On the WAN side, the Belkin router is configured to have a static IP address of 192.168.0.2, with the default gateway and DNS address both set to 192.168.0.1.

On its LAN side, the Belkin router/wireless access point is configured to have a static IP address of 192.168.2.1. DHCP server is turned off. Wireless is set to N mode only. Encryption is set to WPA2 only with a simple preshared key of all lower case letters chosen (it's hard to "type" the preshared key into the Samsung). Channel set to channel one. Bandwidth set to 20 MHz only.

With the wireless set up this way, my Samsung BD-c6900 had no problem recognizing my wireless network. The Samsung was then set up manually with a fixed IP address of 192.168.2.7, default gateway and DNS address of 192.168.2.1, and the preshared key was "typed" in.

My connection has been flawless and fast ever since I set it up this way. Wireless aficionados will recognize that this is a double NAT setup, which is generally considered to be a no-no. However, I found that this is the only configuration that will get my BD-c6900 working, and there is absolutely NO downside as long as it is properly configured. I suggest that you write down all of your proposed settings for all devices before touching anything. Triple check your list for errors, and then work carefully.
post #1099 of 1241 Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 AM

There is a new firmware (at least for region 2 players) number 1021.2. Anyone tried it? (You can find it on the UK site)
post #1100 of 1241 Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eross View Post

There is a new firmware (at least for region 2 players) number 1021.2. Anyone tried it? (You can find it on the UK site)

There is also an update for brazilian BD-C6900 (BD Region 1 and DVD Region 4), but it is only available (until now) for USB update.

I did not update yet. Waiting for network update message...

[]'s
post #1101 of 1241 Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 PM

Is there anyway to create a Playlist for media play from a connected USB drive?

I have downloaded the latest AllShare software by Samsung, it allows me to create playlists, but it's flaky and requires me to stream over the network. This also requires me to run the playlist from my computer. I would rather have my media files on a USB drive and just control the playback from my Samsung remotes.

I have BD6900 and C8000

Thanks..
post #1102 of 1241 Old 08-03-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I downloaded the latest software for my 6900 tonight. I cannot play "Predator". It stops and will not play the movie at all. Anyone else?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #1103 of 1241 Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I down loaded that update and also just purchased Predators but have not had a chance to watch it. I'll put it in this evening to see if there is a problem.
post #1104 of 1241 Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 PM

My issue is when I'm playing a disc and want to advance it either fwd or rev - there seems to be a 1-3 second delay or lag time from when I press the remote's key. The player is in line-of-sight and not more than 5 feet away. I don't have the latest fw (1021.2) yet but I wonder if there is a fix for this.

"It's funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

- - Alex DeLarge, A Clockwork Orange
post #1105 of 1241 Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Downloaded new firmware this morning and watched the last airbender with no problems. The player seems faster to me.This player is incredible.
post #1106 of 1241 Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Cannot connect to the internet since I downloaded last software. Really upset

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #1107 of 1241 Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

Cannot connect to the internet since I downloaded last software. Really upset

It didn't affect my settings.

Enter all the network information manually.

post #1108 of 1241 Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM

I've had it with my c6900 locking up during playback. It's been sent to Gazelle.com via Costco.com in return for a $73 Costco gift card. I'd Ebay it, but I don't want to have to deal with its next owner.

My impression is that Steve Jobs is right: Blu-Ray is a world of hurt. Any player I buy to replace the c6900 will come from Costco so that I get a 90 day no-questions-asked return privilege with a full 100% refund. And it WILL go back if there is so much as one glitch during the 90 days that isn't caused by a defective disk.

Samsung burned me on this one. I don't see myself buying anything else made by Samsung for a long time.
post #1109 of 1241 Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Since upgrading to the latest firmware a little over a week ago I've notice that some mkv played via DLNA have problems when they switch audio in the middle of the file. If they go from Stereo to DD5.1 after a show goes from last week's recap to show start, boom no audio.

It doesn't happen on my google tv box or if I skip the c6900 (into denon) and just play the file from my samsung tv.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can I revert to older firmware, and if so would anyone happen to know where the older firmware (1020.4) can be downloaded?
post #1110 of 1241 Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM

I personally am not doing all the internet app thing on this player. But playing discs alone it's a fantastic player. I see it on my network and through windows media player with no problems. For what I have used the internet apps, they seem to work great. I don't have a netflix account so streaming movies is a non issue. But again, this player rocks. I utilize both 7.1 analog out and toslink and it works flawlessly. The toslink is only for dvd's though. You can't get a better sound with hdmi. 7.1 out is the way to go. just my 2 cents.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung Bd C6900 3d Blu Ray Player Refurbished , Samsung , Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C5500 B
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page