Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy All,

Lot of good info here.

My C6500 (connection to a PN50B560) and wirelessly to my PC.

The C6500 NIC seems to drop out, but only when I stream .mkv files?

Anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,
Wulfman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Hi,

I just bought a Samsung BD-C6500 yesturday and I am finding that the audio from the 5.1 Analog output is very week compared to the optical connection.

I have an older Sony 333ES receiver that does not have HDMI inputs, so I would like to utuilize the 5.1 Analog inputs in order to get the better uncompresses audio from Bluray disks. However, I find that the audio quality does not appear to sound as good when I used the analog outputs from this player. I have to turn the volume WAY up compared to the optical cable, and I find that the overall audio seems "confined" and "lacks bass" with the analog inputs. When I flip it back to the Optical output and let me receiver do the decoding, the sound field opens right up.

I have the player set to pass PCM audio as recommended in the manual.

Just as a test I hooked up my original 10 year old Sony DVD player using its 5.1 analog outputs and it seems to sound fine so I know it is not my cables or anything.

In addition... when I first got the player all audio sounded bad and actually distorted. However, I did a manual update to the firmware to the latest version and that seemed to fix that part. For whatever reason the Automatic update over the Internet was not seeing that there was a newer firmware. I was just about the rip the player out and take it back to the store (after spending well over an hour hooking it up in my enclosed cabinet... a bit of swearing was occuring last night let me tell you).

Any suggestions? Is anyone having this problem?

Lucky for me I purchased the player for a price cheaper than the BD-5500 model due to a print mistake in the Bestbuy flier this week (they reversed the prices) so if I had to use the optical and have the player convert it to DTS audio it wouldn't be the end of the world. This method sounds WAY better than the analog for some reason.

1. My theory is that the decoders in the Samsung player suck and don't decode as well as my receiver (it was a $1400 receiver 10 years ago).

2. I got a defective unit.

Comments?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

This player has worked great for me. But there is one minor thing that kind of bugs me. When you put a disc in, you can usually hit a button and go straight to the menu bypassing all of the previews. (my other BD players do this) But you can't do that with the 6500. It gives you a "feature unavailable" message. You can't even skip forward to the next preview. The only thing you can do is fast forward through each individual trailer. Not a dealbreaker, but annoying nonetheless.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman Jay View Post

Hi,

I just bought a Samsung BD-C6500 yesturday and I am finding that the audio from the 5.1 Analog output is very week compared to the optical connection.

I have an older Sony 333ES receiver that does not have HDMI inputs, so I would like to utuilize the 5.1 Analog inputs in order to get the better uncompresses audio from Bluray disks. However, I find that the audio quality does not appear to sound as good when I used the analog outputs from this player. I have to turn the volume WAY up compared to the optical cable, and I find that the overall audio seems "confined" and "lacks bass" with the analog inputs. When I flip it back to the Optical output and let me receiver do the decoding, the sound field opens right up.

I have the player set to pass PCM audio as recommended in the manual.

Just as a test I hooked up my original 10 year old Sony DVD player using its 5.1 analog outputs and it seems to sound fine so I know it is not my cables or anything.

In addition... when I first got the player all audio sounded bad and actually distorted. However, I did a manual update to the firmware to the latest version and that seemed to fix that part. For whatever reason the Automatic update over the Internet was not seeing that there was a newer firmware. I was just about the rip the player out and take it back to the store (after spending well over an hour hooking it up in my enclosed cabinet... a bit of swearing was occuring last night let me tell you).

Any suggestions? Is anyone having this problem?

Lucky for me I purchased the player for a price cheaper than the BD-5500 model due to a print mistake in the Bestbuy flier this week (they reversed the prices) so if I had to use the optical and have the player convert it to DTS audio it wouldn't be the end of the world. This method sounds WAY better than the analog for some reason.

1. My theory is that the decoders in the Samsung player suck and don't decode as well as my receiver (it was a $1400 receiver 10 years ago).

2. I got a defective unit.

Comments?

Man Jay I wish I could help you. I do know that all the players I have hooked up to analog outs the common thread has been that you have to turn up the volume a bit especially when listening to Dolby TrueHD. But after you get the volume level up its sounds great, not confined or lacking bass at all. I wish I knew what to tell you. I have a hard time believing that the decoders in the Samsung player suck, that just doesn't seem likely as they have released several players with analog outs that sound stellar. I wonder if you do have a faulty unit............
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How does this handle MKVs? Can it access an external harddrive plugged in via the USB input?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Does this player have the Reon chip for upconverting sd dvd's. I just watched a video of the 6900 taken apart and it appears to have one, I was wondering if this 6500 also has it.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunging View Post

Does this player have the Reon chip for upconverting sd dvd's. I just watched a video of the 6900 taken apart and it appears to have one, I was wondering if this 6500 also has it.

The 6900 has a Reon? You sure about that? I thought those were long gone.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

The 6900 has a Reon? You sure about that? I thought those were long gone.

Maybe i'm wrong but what is that processor with the big 'R' on it, I assumed that was a Reon processor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWxjz...layer_embedded
Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 PM

I got a question, I have my router in the same cabinet as my components hence do not need wifi, so what is the advantage to me buying the c6500 over the 5500.

All I can seem to see is hard drive capacity (1gb).

So are they identical besides wifi ready/ wifi installed and hard drive capacity/ no installed storage?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 PM

The manual for the 6500 says to use the analog outputs that are all in a group on the right-hand side of the back of the unit. It suggests that you don't use the standard LR outputs located on the left-hand side. I had this suggested setup direct-connected to a surround sound amp, and it sounded like my main two channels were connected to surround sound outputs--low volume, very little dialogue, etc. I connect the LR to the main LR outputs on the 6500 and got full volume sound like you'd expect. Check your setup. If you've followed the manual's advice, you may be only half-way there.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druber View Post

The manual for the 6500 says to use the analog outputs that are all in a group on the right-hand side of the back of the unit. It suggests that you don't use the standard LR outputs located on the left-hand side. I had this suggested setup direct-connected to a surround sound amp, and it sounded like my main two channels were connected to surround sound outputs--low volume, very little dialogue, etc. I connect the LR to the main LR outputs on the 6500 and got full volume sound like you'd expect. Check your setup. If you've followed the manual's advice, you may be only half-way there.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and I don't hear any differences.

However, my wife and kids step out for awhile and I had a a chance to listen to the audio at "reference levels". :-) I put in a few different bluray, some DVD's and audio CD's. And now that I have listened to it for a bit I think it sounds pretty good now. I do have to turn it up more than I used to, but the sound quality seems warmer to me using the analog versus letting my receiver decode the signal. I think I just had to get used to the volume level differences, and I fell into the trap that louder sounded better, but in reality, I think it sounds better now using the analog.

So, I guess its a keeper now.

Thanks for you suggestion though.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:

How does this handle MKVs? Can it access an external harddrive plugged in via the USB input?

I have an external WD My Book (formatted with NTFS) hooked to the player and it works great. MKVs play fine, but if you have a MKV with multiple audio tracks, the playback is jerky to the point where it's unwatchable. Hoping Samsung fixes this soon with a firmware update.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginereality View Post

I have an external WD My Book (formatted with NTFS) hooked to the player and it works great. MKVs play fine, but if you have a MKV with multiple audio tracks, the playback is jerky to the point where it's unwatchable. Hoping Samsung fixes this soon with a firmware update.

So the 6500 can power the External HD through the USB port? No AC adapter needed (my BD390 can do this, but not my Insignia)
Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got a question, I have my router in the same cabinet as my components hence do not need wifi, so what is the advantage to me buying the c6500 over the 5500.

All I can seem to see is hard drive capacity (1gb).

So are they identical besides wifi ready/ wifi installed and hard drive capacity/ no installed storage?

Thanks

I think that the 1 GB is flash, not a hard drive. With the C5500 you need to add some memory for BD-Live. I suspect that a 1 GB USB thumb drive would give the same functionality and the rear USB port (intended for a wifi adapter) can be used for this. The C6500 has 7.1 analog audio, which the 5500 does not. I didn't need wifi either, so decided to save some money and get the C5500.

There is some additional installed memory for apps on both models.

Bob
Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:

So the 6500 can power the External HD through the USB port? No AC adapter needed (my BD390 can do this, but not my Insignia)

It can if the hard drive doesn't already require the use of an AC adapter (Western Digital My Books require AC power).
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginereality View Post

It can if the hard drive doesn't already require the use of an AC adapter (Western Digital My Books require AC power).

Ok good. I know my Insignia can't so I wanted to make sure (interested in the HTIB version)
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone streamed a Vudu movie through this player yet? I have seen a mention or two of the Vudu app in this thread, but no one has actually commented on the experience and if it worked adaquetely. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Has anyone streamed a Vudu movie through this player yet? I have seen a mention or two of the Vudu app in this thread, but no one has actually commented on the experience and if it worked adaquetely. Anyone care to chime in?

I signed up with Vudu and they gave me a $5.99 credit (nice!) My internet speed isn't too great (Clear 4G Wi-max, typically 3-4 Mbps) so I used the credit to view a SD movie. The picture quality was pretty good, but I did get a few dropouts. Otherwise it was fine.

Bob
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

I signed up with Vudu and they gave me a $5.99 credit (nice!) My internet speed isn't too great (Clear 4G Wi-max, typically 3-4 Mbps) so I used the credit to view a SD movie. The picture quality was pretty good, but I did get a few dropouts. Otherwise it was fine.

Thanks for the reply. How much did the SD movie cost?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Maybe i'm wrong but what is that processor with the big 'R' on it, I assumed that was a Reon processor.

Definitely not. First of all, that "R" is hand-written with some sort of pen. A Reon chip would have had "Silicon Optix" stamped on it somewhere. Unfortunately, both the company and their HQV chips are long gone (as I hang on to my BD-P2500).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Thanks for the reply. How much did the SD movie cost?

$2.99 (Sherlock Holmes). The prices vary a bit. Once you start watching, you have 24 hours to complete it.

Bob
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I have been able to play my HD videos that I made with my Canon HD camcorder that were burned to disks. No issues at all. Not a surprise by any means, but good to know it works correctly.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM

The FCC iPhone app pegs my actual download speed at around 6 megabits. The C6500 reports about 1.5. We tried streaming a movie from Vudu in HDX and got pauses for rebuffering (or an outright stop with a "try again later" message) about every 10 minutes. I switched quality down to their HD stream and watched the rest of the movie without incident. On my 720p set, I really couldn't tell a difference between HD and HDX. It was a drama with very little action, no high speed chases or anything, but I thought the quality was great. I'll definitely use Vudu again.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 AM

Seems like Samsung has posted another firmware update 1010.4. Gonna try it tonight.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...il&tab=support
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 AM

I can confirm that the 1010.4 update fixes the jerky MKV playback on files that have more than one audio track.

It still cannot play certain MKVs however (thankfully, it's less than a handful that I've personally found so far).
Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else updated to the new firmware? I haven't had time, but am going to this weekend.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

I updated the firmware this morning. I haven't noticed anything different yet.

Bob
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM

What I noticed was:
- Getty Images gallery was added to internet section
- It plays an mpg file created out of vob-s that it couldn't before but still choppy

It still doesn't do dvd foders / video-ts file. I still need to test the mkv created out of vob-s, but am not holding me breath. Mkv contained subtitles are still a no go.

One thing that bothers me also is inability to set the default device... you can select the device by A and D buttons. Well that screws up using my receiver remote. Cannot do it via menu nor can you set a default one.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Having an issue with the PC share function. Does anyone know if there's a way to add a file to your shared files without having to refresh everything you share? When I refresh through the share manager, it takes just as long as the first time I scanned the files to share. it's really annoying. If I download something new, I have to wait hours before I can even access it.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTurtle View Post

Having an issue with the PC share function. Does anyone know if there's a way to add a file to your shared files without having to refresh everything you share? When I refresh through the share manager, it takes just as long as the first time I scanned the files to share. it's really annoying. If I download something new, I have to wait hours before I can even access it.

Currently PCSM can't - Serviio does.

See link in my sig where there is further discussion

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player