Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 12 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------

Blu-ray Players

ziimen's Avatar ziimen
07:57 AM Liked: 10
post #331 of 1625
04-17-2010 | Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTurtle View Post

I have to wait hours before I can even access it.

The only way I found to make it quicker is extract subdirectories as separate shares.... for instance instead of sharing the directory "Movies" share subdirectories as per say movie genre "SciFi", "Drama" etc. Adding a new file and refreshing the library makes it borderline bearable.

Having said that, gonna try the Serviio.
mike-tee's Avatar mike-tee
10:19 AM Liked: 10
post #332 of 1625
04-18-2010 | Posts: 1,049
Anyone that has/had both of these players, are there any significant differences or improvements in DLNA streaming with the 6500 over the 3600? Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike T
Ringfinger's Avatar Ringfinger
07:15 AM Liked: 10
post #333 of 1625
04-20-2010 | Posts: 319
Can anyone tell me how to tun it off and it picks up where it left off on a BD the next day? How about stopping and picking back up? Does not seem to work for me.
simpleavs's Avatar simpleavs
02:19 PM Liked: 10
post #334 of 1625
04-20-2010 | Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

Can anyone tell me how to tun it off and it picks up where it left off on a BD the next day? How about stopping and picking back up? Does not seem to work for me.

I doesn't work for BD. It works for DVD.

Brian
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
09:14 PM Liked: 10
post #335 of 1625
04-20-2010 | Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

Yes, Simpleavs is correct..........it has to do with BD-java and how the disks are authored. Its a format thing, not a player thing.
07:39 AM Liked: 10
post #336 of 1625
04-21-2010 | Posts: 319
Thanks!
ziimen's Avatar ziimen
10:02 AM Liked: 10
post #337 of 1625
04-21-2010 | Posts: 49
BD-Java allows for bookmarks though, doesn't it? ... which is I guess is both a player and the authored menu thing.
imaginereality's Avatar imaginereality
10:29 AM Liked: 10
post #338 of 1625
04-21-2010 | Posts: 44
Yes, you have to "bookmark" your place on the BD you want to return to later. I believe the option is under the "Tools" menu, but I could very well be wrong.
ziimen's Avatar ziimen
10:38 AM Liked: 10
post #339 of 1625
04-21-2010 | Posts: 49
Not sure about Tools, maybe you're right, a generic handling of bookmarks for any bd .... although I always thought about it as an option in the slide-out / pop-up bd menu (which means the authored bd has to include it) ... and obviously player has to provide storage for it.
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
12:03 PM Liked: 10
post #340 of 1625
04-21-2010 | Posts: 973
Will one of you please confirm that Avatar plays OK when you pick it up? I hope to pick it up and report sometime tommorow evening. But if someone beats me to it that would be great! I am just hoping that we don't need another firmware to play this title. I think most are assuming there is more BD+ encryption stuff on this new title. I am crossing my fingers.
steverichmond's Avatar steverichmond
07:35 PM Liked: 10
post #341 of 1625
04-21-2010 | Posts: 102
I like the C6500 but just a little disappointed in the netflix client. I wished it would allow you to browse other content other than what is in your instant queue. I know other devices have this built-in. Does anyone know if Samsung plans to enhance their Netflix client?

Thanks,
Steve
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
12:49 AM Liked: 10
post #342 of 1625
04-22-2010 | Posts: 973
I got this title tonight and although it took longer than usual to load it plays just fine. I even stopped it and started it again......oddly it asked if I wanted to start where I left off last time. Great title, looks amazing. This thing passed its first BD+ test tonight. Still very happy........it is a little noisy when it loads....kind of odd dont you think?
08:25 AM Liked: 10
post #343 of 1625
04-22-2010 | Posts: 319
I don't notice mine being noisy at all.
xbobx's Avatar xbobx
07:38 PM Liked: 10
post #344 of 1625
04-22-2010 | Posts: 16
Avatar doesnt work, and this is why I really hope bluray fails, this is ********.

if you rent a movie, it should god damn work, now i am out 6 bucks. not that 6 bucks is alot but still.

it says it needs an update but no updates available.
Semp1's Avatar Semp1
08:42 PM Liked: 20
post #345 of 1625
04-22-2010 | Posts: 749
I don't understand it won't connect. This seems like a common issue. What the hell is wrong it works fine through wired. Wireless will not connect. I'm running the most recent firmware and using WEP encryption still no luck, I've reset the player and router to no avail but like I said other people have this issue what's the remedy? It's saying the IP adress is not valid which is ridiculous every other electronic in my house connects to wifi with no issue. I also brought the player to my friends house to see if I got the same issue and I did.
ziimen's Avatar ziimen
11:12 PM Liked: 10
post #346 of 1625
04-22-2010 | Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

Avatar doesnt work, and this is why I really hope bluray fails, this is ********. if you rent a movie, it should god damn work, now i am out 6 bucks. not that 6 bucks is alot but still. it says it needs an update but no updates available.

I feel your pain, all I got to see was that red screen too. Thank you Samsung.
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
11:40 PM Liked: 10
post #347 of 1625
Why would it play on some 6500C's and not on others............ odd........you obviously did update the newest firmware that came out a few days ago correct? Very hard to understand...........Bummer
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
11:41 PM Liked: 10
post #348 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

I don't understand it won't connect. This seems like a common issue. What the hell is wrong it works fine through wired. Wireless will not connect. I'm running the most recent firmware and using WEP encryption still no luck, I've reset the player and router to no avail but like I said other people have this issue what's the remedy? It's saying the IP adress is not valid which is ridiculous every other electronic in my house connects to wifi with no issue. I also brought the player to my friends house to see if I got the same issue and I did.

I read a review on amazon that said these players have issues with Belkin routers and play well with Netgear routers...........who knows........what brand are you using out of curiosity?
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
11:47 PM Liked: 10
post #349 of 1625
Quote:

Avatar doesnt work, and this is why I really hope bluray fails, this is ********.

if you rent a movie, it should god damn work, now i am out 6 bucks. not that 6 bucks is alot but still.

it says it needs an update but no updates available.

Did you get the famous red screen? Or was is just a black screen with white writing? I got this message that the player may need a firmware update..........but after a bit of loading time it plays.
Semp1's Avatar Semp1
05:04 AM Liked: 20
post #350 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

I read a review on amazon that said these players have issues with Belkin routers and play well with Netgear routers...........who knows........what brand are you using out of curiosity?

my router is a D Link and I think my friends is a Linkskys. That's ridiculous if they only work with Netgear which I find hard to believe. I have a feeling once again Samsung released a highly defective sub par product.
xbobx's Avatar xbobx
06:48 AM Liked: 10
post #351 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 16
"Did you get the famous red screen? Or was is just a black screen with white writing? I got this message that the player may need a firmware update..........but after a bit of loading time it plays."

I got the red screen once, and next time it was black screen, and it just sat there and everything was frozen.

I put the bluray player back in the box, and taking it back. Going to skip bluray, I dont think this format will become the standard. For the average person, it wont fly, not if there is all these compatibility issues, so until they work it out, or we move on to a superior format, I am just going to stick with upconverted dvds. I really dont see the point of wasting money on starting a collection of a future possible failed "laserdisk"
jlj93byu's Avatar jlj93byu
08:08 AM Liked: 10
post #352 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 84
Quote:

I bought a Belkin N series router for $60 from Wal-Mart yesterday, just a mid-level router but I watched 30 minutes of a Netflix movie last night and it worked great. It hiccupped once about 30 seconds into the film but the next 30 minutes it was fine. When it retrieved the file and it has the quality indicator, it appeared my signal was strong and the quality was high. I was forced by budget to buy the cheapest router I could find that still had as a feature supporting the streaming of HD movies. Any suggestions for better routers that aren't too expensive?
ziimen's Avatar ziimen
08:15 AM Liked: 10
post #353 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 49
Quote:

Why would it play on some 6500C's and not on others............ odd........you obviously did update the newest firmware that came out a few days ago correct? Very hard to understand...........Bummer

Not sure, unless the rented version is somewhat different from the retail. I have 1010.4 version. Instead we ended up watching Lovely Bones which played fine... albeit with couple of hiccups on the layer change.
FragU's Avatar FragU
08:27 AM Liked: 11
post #354 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 5
I just got off with an online session with Samsung Support... who said that if you have the most recent update you must reset your player to get it to work. To do so, with no disk in hold the "Stop" button on the player for 5 seconds.

Note: This will completely reset the player to factory defaults... but "will allow the movie to play correctly."

Trying it tonight...
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
09:07 AM Liked: 10
post #355 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

my router is a D Link and I think my friends is a Linkskys. That's ridiculous if they only work with Netgear which I find hard to believe. I have a feeling once again Samsung released a highly defective sub par product.

I didn't say they just work with Netgear..........I just said that I read ONE review where the Belkin didn't work. Your right all routers should work. Just hard to figure out why wireless works great for some and not so good for others..........
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
09:13 AM Liked: 10
post #356 of 1625
Quote:

"Did you get the famous red screen? Or was is just a black screen with white writing? I got this message that the player may need a firmware update..........but after a bit of loading time it plays."

I got the red screen once, and next time it was black screen, and it just sat there and everything was frozen.

I put the bluray player back in the box, and taking it back. Going to skip bluray, I dont think this format will become the standard. For the average person, it wont fly, not if there is all these compatibility issues, so until they work it out, or we move on to a superior format, I am just going to stick with upconverted dvds. I really dont see the point of wasting money on starting a collection of a future possible failed "laserdisk"

You never mentioned for sure..........you did do the last firmware update that came out a few days ago? Also, I'm not sure you can trash an entire format for the shortcomings of one very finicky title. Obviously this Avatar title is a bit problematic with the BD+. Even the players it does load on take ages to load.........Maybe you should take the Sammy back and try another brand like the Sony 570. It is the same price and maybe is a little more stable. I think you should try another brand before throwing in the towel. JMO
kjohn's Avatar kjohn
09:13 AM Liked: 10
post #357 of 1625
04-23-2010 | Posts: 1,450
Does anybody know why my 6500 keeps turning off 24fps when I cut it off. Samsung customer support is about as useless as it gets.
ziimen's Avatar ziimen
10:10 AM Liked: 10
post #358 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragU View Post

I just got off with an online session with Samsung Support... who said that if you have the most recent update you must reset your player to get it to work. To do so, with no disk in hold the "Stop" button on the player for 5 seconds. Note: This will completely reset the player to factory defaults... but "will allow the movie to play correctly.

Are you for real? Unbelievable! How on earth do they expect most of the folks to go about this? As if firmware updates weren't enough, now factory resetting the device !!?!?!!! Great way to spread the blu-ray love Samsung, surely it must work! ...

Will try it tonight.
ziimen's Avatar ziimen
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #359 of 1625
Just tried it and it worked. There was still some weirdness in all that... after inserting the disc a banging noise started, sounded like the OPU was going berserk trying to read the disc back and forth (decrypting it?), lasted for about a minute, and then it finally loaded.

On the bright side, video store was kind enough to extend the rental for one night because of this. I certainly hope I won't have to go through this crap often... sheesh...
Scoob's Avatar Scoob
04:58 PM Liked: 10
post #360 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziimen View Post

Just tried it and it worked. There was still some weirdness in all that... after inserting the disc a banging noise started, sounded like the OPU was going berserk trying to read the disc back and forth (decrypting it?), lasted for about a minute, and then it finally loaded.

That is EXACTLY what mine did.........I was wondering what the banging noise is. Anyone have an idea??
Tags: Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player

Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread