Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------
rudolpht's Avatar rudolpht 09:15 AM 04-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

... For the average person, it wont fly, not if there is all these compatibility issues, so until they work it out...

I think Elvis has left the building, the horse is out of the barn, or whatever euphamism you choose. It is the current standard, so we can look forward to 3D compatibility challenges as the new horizon. At least it allows diversity of manufacturers to pick from. My 3 yearr old Pio HD1 Blu-ray player is still rock solid and getting updates, but of course it cost more than double the addition of my two Sammy players put together.

Dave Clee's Avatar Dave Clee 10:28 AM 04-24-2010
Anyone know how to change the color space output on the 6500 ? Its been suggested to change it when using the Viewsonic pro8100 projector but I cant find the option in the settings menu.

Any helop would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
kjohn's Avatar kjohn 12:59 PM 04-24-2010
Guess if the question is not about streaming nobody knows. Nice player but the 24p not being saved in the setup having to reset it everytime is not for me and streaming is not of intrest back it goes.
jlj93byu's Avatar jlj93byu 05:44 PM 04-25-2010
My 24p playback is still set to on from the day I bought the player. I guess I have been lucky! Has everyone out there had the same problem of having to turn it on every time they turn on their player?
Scoob's Avatar Scoob 09:28 PM 04-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj93byu View Post

My 24p playback is still set to on from the day I bought the player. I guess I have been lucky! Has everyone out there had the same problem of having to turn it on every time they turn on their player?

I agree, I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or is this an isolated incident? My settings have stayed intact as well.........Can anyone else weigh in?
jpm150's Avatar jpm150 09:31 AM 04-26-2010
Mine stays on and hasn't had to be reset. I do notice that 24p is dependent on the source material, though. I had a Blu Ray disc yesterday with a bunch of trailers -- some showed 24p playback, others 60p -- it just went back and forth automatically. I assume that's normal.
FrostyCC's Avatar FrostyCC 01:44 PM 04-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

Avatar doesnt work, and this is why I really hope bluray fails, this is ********.

if you rent a movie, it should god damn work, now i am out 6 bucks. not that 6 bucks is alot but still.

it says it needs an update but no updates available.

@

hey so with my samsung c-6500 i had no problems playing avatar at all.

downloaded the latest firmware from the samsung website:

All OS 1010.4 Upgrade File(USB type) Apr 14, 2010 61.59 ENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 View Post

Mine stays on and hasn't had to be reset. I do notice that 24p is dependent on the source material, though. I had a Blu Ray disc yesterday with a bunch of trailers -- some showed 24p playback, others 60p -- it just went back and forth automatically. I assume that's normal.

24p is awesome on blu-ray btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

Guess if the question is not about streaming nobody knows. Nice player but the 24p not being saved in the setup having to reset it everytime is not for me and streaming is not of intrest back it goes.

24p worked fine here samsung c6500 & Pioneer Elite plasma
FrostyCC's Avatar FrostyCC 01:45 PM 04-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyCC View Post

@

hey so with my samsung c-6500 i had no problems playing avatar at all.

downloaded the latest firmware from the samsung website:

btw folks here is where i got my update for avatar:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...il&tab=support

Scoob's Avatar Scoob 05:15 PM 04-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyCC View Post

24p worked fine here samsung c6500 & Pioneer Elite plasma

Thats good to know..........it seems the settings are staying intact for most players out there.....
FloridaDude's Avatar FloridaDude 05:56 PM 04-26-2010
Hello everyone,
I just traded my p.o.s. Sammy BD-P1600 in on this BD-C6500.
Getting ready to hook it up now...
I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm hoping this is a better unit, did I make a mistake or is everyone pretty happy? let me know the good, the bad and the ugly...
FloridaDude's Avatar FloridaDude 08:20 PM 04-26-2010
Well, good news so far; we got it set up and the wireless connected to the router in just a few minutes (thanks to my son, haha), first thing I noticed was the controls on the front are much better; (you don't have to push the button 3-5 times to open the tray). Immediately slapped Avatar Blu-Ray in and it looks to be playing perfectly the first time, yipeeee!
Scoob's Avatar Scoob 10:33 PM 04-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

Well, good news so far; we got it set up and the wireless connected to the router in just a few minutes (thanks to my son, haha), first thing I noticed was the controls on the front are much better; (you don't have to push the button 3-5 times to open the tray). Immediately slapped Avatar Blu-Ray in and it looks to be playing perfectly the first time, yipeeee!

There has been a couple guys with issues, but I think most are happy. Mine has been great, am loving it..........
imaginereality's Avatar imaginereality 06:47 AM 04-27-2010
I do have to chime in and say that I'm really enjoying both the Blu-Ray format, Netflix streaming, and this player.
StuartAmbient's Avatar StuartAmbient 06:34 AM 04-28-2010
Thought I'd ask here -
Got this unit recently and am running it with my wireless network. The services like Netflix, Youtube, etc all stream fine. However streaming from my PC is the problem. I installed Samsung PC Share Manager 4.03, it seemed somewhat funky at first but was finally successful and sharing various folder that show up on the unit. I noticed in each shared folder there is an .mta file now. I'm also running this on Vista 64. I go to the player, choose the drive (why does this need to be done every time) and there are all the folders and media. It starts to play well but then after a minute or 2 it dies with a message that this device might be disconnected or is disconnected.

Since as I said above the services seem to stream I tend to doubt it's the quality of the wireless network itself. However I haven't ruled out that things are just done differently with delivering those streams.

I'm questioning though where the problem might be -
1-the folders in Vista are not shared, and the way Vista operates is that folders can be set to a specific user or everyone. Somehow though it seems like Samsung software overrides Vista and allows the sharing on it's own.

2- I'm running firewall software but have allowed every request PC Share Manager (i forget but it was like htc or something that was making requests) were all allowed. Of course my router has it's own internal firewall.

With things starting up fine maybe it is just sensitive to network drops.
Anyone else have this situation and got it remedied ?

TIA
Stuart
ziimen's Avatar ziimen 08:10 AM 04-28-2010
You can delete *.mta files once share manager indexes the directory. Of course share manager should have done the cleanup itself but there ya go. The repository of indexed content does not depend on these files.

Share manager is a dlna compatible piece of software. Dlna has nothing to do with Vista (smb) shares. All the content is available via http server running on a given port. To make that available you need to open the port in Vista's firewall, that's all. No user access control. Share manager adds itself automatically to the exception list though as PC Share Manager or All Share.

As for the connection dropouts I had only couple of those for the past month. Quite rare. Restarting the player was the only remedy, but since it was quite rare and my laptop would also experience them I figure it's probably my router, or some sort of intermittent interference.

Share manager is not perfect, far from it. Just look at the time it takes to index files. And the fact that it actually needs to pre-index them (why not do things like ps3-media-server?). But in my experience, the streaming part is completely stable, stutter free etc. As much as my wireless bandwidth allows.... (maxes at 15mbps sustained as it is).
ziimen's Avatar ziimen 10:34 AM 04-28-2010
I had a chance to compare BD-C6500 against PS3 Slim last night. In short, Samsung wins hands down when it comes to video quality... from any source (hd, dvd, avi). PS3 wins hands down when it comes to streaming software (ps3 media server vs. pc share manager).

Quality of the video on PS3 pretty much matches the quality produced by ATi 4200 on my HTPC. You could say exactly the same.. a OK. However picture produced by Samsung is truly amazing... there is a certain liquid quality in colors coming from the c6500... heavy, smooth and clean if not a bit too shiny. Clarity and sharpness at the same time are also present. Really good work by Samsung. In comparison, color quality on PS3 and/or HTPC almost leans toward the crayon like feeling.

Quality of the software for streaming... well there's really not too many good points or features on Samsung's side except for the fact that when it streams it is rather stable. PS3 media server one the other hand is also as stable. But feature wise it's really a better tool: no (pre)indexing of the content needed, video navigation capability is awesome, it presents all titles from backed up dvds (iso or folder) as titles and not as sets of vob files, it literally handled all the files I had in my repository (pc share manager didn't), allows access to multiple audio tracks, no meta crap leftovers after indexing etc.

One more thing worth noting is that Samsung supports soft subtitles with any content. PS3 doesn't so what PS3 Media Server does is transcodes the video overlaying subtitles on it before streaming it all to PS3. That's really a big win for PS3 Media Server, can't do better than that, but picture quality does suffer and wireless connection in such cases is useless... as bit rates climb to 100Mbits. If you don't need subtitles then remuxing works just fine.

The comparison was run on the 1080i CRT, Sony WEGA. Same HDMI cables were used and the same HDMI repeater switch (Yamaha 6240). Meaning, picture setting on the TV was one and the same.

Last but not least, Samsung runs dead quiet and cool... which is anything but when it comes to PS3.
StuartAmbient's Avatar StuartAmbient 11:03 AM 04-28-2010
Ziimen , thanks for the response.

How can I tell which port needs to be open. I turned the unit on and found various entries in the firewall log but most system and OS stuff, nothing under the http_ss_win_pro.exe

Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziimen View Post

You can delete *.mta files once share manager indexes the directory. Of course share manager should have done the cleanup itself but there ya go. The repository of indexed content does not depend on these files.

Share manager is a dlna compatible piece of software. Dlna has nothing to do with Vista (smb) shares. All the content is available via http server running on a given port. To make that available you need to open the port in Vista's firewall, that's all. No user access control. Share manager adds itself automatically to the exception list though as PC Share Manager or All Share.

As for the connection dropouts I had only couple of those for the past month. Quite rare. Restarting the player was the only remedy, but since it was quite rare and my laptop would also experience them I figure it's probably my router, or some sort of intermittent interference.

Share manager is not perfect, far from it. Just look at the time it takes to index files. And the fact that it actually needs to pre-index them (why not do things like ps3-media-server?). But in my experience, the streaming part is completely stable, stutter free etc. As much as my wireless bandwidth allows.... (maxes at 15mbps sustained as it is).

ziimen's Avatar ziimen 12:35 PM 04-28-2010
If the share shows up on c6500 then the port is already accessible and seems like that is the case... looking at your original post.

Depending on what firewall you're using... if it's windows' own firewall then just look at firewall settings, under the exceptions tab... Can't remember now the name it's listed under. The executable name is wiselinkpro.exe in case the program is not listed as "pc share manager" or "all share" ...
Scoob's Avatar Scoob 12:38 PM 04-28-2010
Quote:

I had a chance to compare BD-C6500 against PS3 Slim last night. In short, Samsung wins hands down when it comes to video quality... from any source (hd, dvd, avi). PS3 wins hands down when it comes to streaming software (ps3 media server vs. pc share manager).

Quality of the video on PS3 pretty much matches the quality produced by ATi 4200 on my HTPC. You could say exactly the same.. a OK. However picture produced by Samsung is truly amazing... there is a certain liquid quality in colors coming from the c6500... heavy, smooth and clean if not a bit too shiny. Clarity and sharpness at the same time are also present. Really good work by Samsung. In comparison, color quality on PS3 and/or HTPC almost leans toward the crayon like feeling.

Quality of the software for streaming... well there's really not too many good points or features on Samsung's side except for the fact that when it streams it is rather stable. PS3 media server one the other hand is also as stable. But feature wise it's really a better tool: no (pre)indexing of the content needed, video navigation capability is awesome, it presents all titles from backed up dvds (iso or folder) as titles and not as sets of vob files, it literally handled all the files I had in my repository (pc share manager didn't), allows access to multiple audio tracks, no meta crap leftovers after indexing etc.

One more thing worth noting is that Samsung supports soft subtitles with any content. PS3 doesn't so what PS3 Media Server does is transcodes the video overlaying subtitles on it before streaming it all to PS3. That's really a big win for PS3 Media Server, can't do better than that, but picture quality does suffer and wireless connection in such cases is useless... as bit rates climb to 100Mbits. If you don't need subtitles then remuxing works just fine.

The comparison was run on the 1080i CRT, Sony WEGA. Same HDMI cables were used and the same HDMI repeater switch (Yamaha 6240). Meaning, picture setting on the TV was one and the same.

Last but not least, Samsung runs dead quiet and cool... which is anything but when it comes to PS3.

Good stuff, thanks for that. Very good to know!
chris_r11's Avatar chris_r11 12:11 PM 04-29-2010
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what internet applications come on this player. I am trying to compare it to a Sony S470. Does anyone have any experience with the 2?

Thanks,
Chris
StuartAmbient's Avatar StuartAmbient 12:32 PM 04-29-2010
Thought I'd say I made the adjustments in my firewall (Comodo) , didn't seem to change anything. Sometimes a file will play for 5-10 minutes and then stop with the "portable device disconnected" and then other times immediately. Seems others have similar issues spoken of in this thread.

It probably makes more sense to invest in an external portable drive, terabyte or so and hook it direct to the usb port on the c6500. Not a great work around. Perhaps in time it will be fixed.

Stuart

Quote:

If the share shows up on c6500 then the port is already accessible and seems like that is the case... looking at your original post.

Depending on what firewall you're using... if it's windows' own firewall then just look at firewall settings, under the exceptions tab... Can't remember now the name it's listed under. The executable name is wiselinkpro.exe in case the program is not listed as "pc share manager" or "all share" ...

rdn's Avatar rdn 08:24 PM 04-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_r11 View Post

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what internet applications come on this player. I am trying to compare it to a Sony S470. Does anyone have any experience with the 2?

Thanks,
Chris

Assuming they are the same as for the BD-C5500 (and you have the latest updates): Blockbuster, Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, Twitter, Getty Images, Texas Holdem, Kurakku, Rovi TV Listings, Accuweather, Picasa Web Albums, USA Today, You Tube, Mahjong Fruits, Quizz Master, Memory, Dracula's Coffin, Rockswap, Sodoku (I have no idea what some of these are, and some of them may not be internet-related).
ziimen's Avatar ziimen 09:53 AM 04-30-2010
However if you're from Canada you can scratch couple of those from the begging of the list.
chris_r11's Avatar chris_r11 10:47 AM 04-30-2010
Thanks rdn. That's helpful. Anyone have any ideas on how this unit compares to the Sonys, DVD up conversion wise and BD wise?
TallahasseeWrek's Avatar TallahasseeWrek 11:58 AM 04-30-2010
Has anyone here used both the BD-C6500 and the Panasonic BD-85K? I'm trying to decide between these two. I plan to connect it to the Internet via a wired home network and listen to it via 7.1 analog outputs connected to a pretty decent Yamaha/Monitor Audio sound system. I plan to mainly watch Blu-Ray discs and streaming Netflix. Given these parameters and your experience, which one would you go with?
ghostnotes's Avatar ghostnotes 06:29 PM 04-30-2010
I have seen good things about both, I ended up choosing the c-6500 though. Simply a matter of preference. I've seen both and for the price they are neck and neck IMHO.

I do have a question though about streaming.

So far my streaming has been excellent,network....perfect. I'm using sammy's software and Playon. Now i have some ripped dvd's in high def and standard def on 3 of my laptop/desktops and want to be able to watch the whole movie through instead of each file in the .TS folder. I read in this thread about packaging them in an .mkv file. Is this the best way or are there other ways, I don't want to lose any quality.
And which software is best for doing this.

Thanks
ziimen's Avatar ziimen 08:45 AM 05-01-2010
I've tried mkv contained dvd movies (assembled with mkv-toolnix iirc... or maybe ts-muxer, I forget). But C6500 didn't want to play it. We're talking re-muxing here not re-encoding. So far I've only managed to play AVC content via MKV-s. MPG2 was a no go. Tried this over streaming and from a usb stick. Naturally, it would play if re-encoded to h264. But, it would be really painful redoing my dvd collection like that. Would probably be much easier if Samsung decided to support it in firmware and pc share manager.

What's a Playon?
rdn's Avatar rdn 05:26 PM 05-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnotes View Post

I have seen good things about both, I ended up choosing the c-6500 though. Simply a matter of preference. I've seen both and for the price they are neck and neck IMHO.

I do have a question though about streaming.

So far my streaming has been excellent,network....perfect. I'm using sammy's software and Playon. Now i have some ripped dvd's in high def and standard def on 3 of my laptop/desktops and want to be able to watch the whole movie through instead of each file in the .TS folder. I read in this thread about packaging them in an .mkv file. Is this the best way or are there other ways, I don't want to lose any quality.
And which software is best for doing this.

Thanks

MKVs can be problematic, but try Handbrake.
Tags: Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop