Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1625 Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone have an idea if this can be adjusted? It could on my LG BD570...the full screen button seems disabled for vudu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1625 Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Anyone have an idea if this can be adjusted? It could on my LG BD570...the full screen button seems disabled for vudu.

I had this issue with a 4:3 movie streamed from Netflix on my BD-C5500.

Bob
post #453 of 1625 Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Gib

Just got the 6500 yesterday. This is my first blu-ray player. Is there any way to get it to resume playback of a blu-ray movie at the point that it was stopped. There is mention of it in the manual but it doesn't work for me. Always starts the movie at the beginning.

Also, what is the deal with BD Wise. I have a Samsung 58B850 plasma and BD Wise puts it into a BD Wise picture mode rather than what I have set. Has anyone found an advantage for it?
post #454 of 1625 Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post

Just got the 6500 yesterday. This is my first blu-ray player. Is there any way to get it to resume playback of a blu-ray movie at the point that it was stopped. There is mention of it in the manual but it doesn't work for me. Always starts the movie at the beginning.

I don't think you can do that with every disc. I've found that regular DVDs will do it just fine, but most Blu-Ray discs won't. I've found a few that will though. I think someone in hear a bunch of pages back said it's just the way the discs are written.
post #455 of 1625 Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM

I just purchased this Sammy BD player, updated with the latest firmware, connected to Netflix via my wireless router. Very impressed so far with all aspects of streaming wirelessly.

What I would like to do is to be able to lock the apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc.) so they can't be accessed without a password. This player is in my library which is the main domain of my 12 year old. Reading the manual, it looks like this can be done but I havcen't been able to figure it out.

Can someone who has done this please help me.
TIA,
Eric
post #456 of 1625 Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Another quick email exchange with Samsung support. The guy I corresponded with claims that the C6500 can't support MPEG-2 video in an MKV container. Which is to say, your MakeMKV rips aren't welcome here. Instead of getting rid of my WDTV it's connected via HDMI switch. Bummed, but I don't see that other current-gen Blu-ray players support MPEG-2/MKV either. If you want this spec/format supported, let them know.

Does anyone know how to change the Internet-streaming "favorite" apps listed on the home screen?
post #457 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 AM

Guys,

I see that there is a new firmware out version 1012.6 today. Can someone check it out and tell me what was fixed and whats new with it? Does it resolve wifi issues?

On the Samsung site it mentions the following in regards to the new version:

Ver.1012.6 Jun.09.2010

- Improve specific BD & DVD title''s playback capability.
- Improve MKV capability.
- Improve Widget capability.
post #458 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenju4u View Post

Does it resolve wifi issues?

I haven't downloaded this new update, but I have to ask....what wifi issues?
post #459 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 AM

well WIFI issues that a lot of people wrote about on forums all over. They involved trouble connecting to a wireless network and it disconnecting everytime the player is shut off and turned back on. I personally had the same issues where I had to go through the whole setup each time the player was turned on and off to get it to work.
post #460 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:

I personally had the same issues where I had to go through the whole setup each time the player was turned on and off to get it to work.

Hmmm....did see that a couple of times, but generally no issues. Streaming from Vudu and Netflix has been painless and very simple.

The only complaint from me is: if you set audio to PCM to allow the BD player to decode lossless audio and stream it as multi-channel PCM to the receiver, then you have to go back and change the audio to bitstream to take advantage of 5.1 surround with streaming services like VuDu. If you leave it set to PCM, it converts to 2.0.
post #461 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:

The only complaint from me is: if you set audio to PCM to allow the BD player to decode lossless audio and stream it as multi-channel PCM to the receiver, then you have to go back and change the audio to bitstream to take advantage of 5.1 surround with streaming services like VuDu. If you leave it set to PCM, it converts to 2.0.

Yes! I noticed that too...found it very annoying as well. In the Sony BD-570 there are
two separate settings for when content is Dolby Digital vs. DTS so you don't have to keep switching settings every time.
post #462 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Might be a silly question but why not leave it to bitstream all the time... provided your receiver can decode it properly... at least PCM?
post #463 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 AM

I've a feeling they're releasing firmware updates when there's a big title out on bd with the latest and greatest encryption update.... last time it was Avatar. What's coming out this time?

Improved mkv capability... sure ... unless it can play mpg2 stream in it... it's hardly an improvement
post #464 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 AM

well if you leave it on Bitstream and have your external receiver connected through TOSLINK the audio is outputted through DD 5.1 if there is none available it wont pass anything and you loose sound. At least thats what happened to me. So any movie that doesn't have DD 5.1 in English output I would have to switch the audio out on the player to PCM so it outputs it as 2 channel stereo sound.

I havent been able to find any Blueray dvd's that are new movies which have DD 5.1. 99% have been DTS or DD 5.1 in some other language.
post #465 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 AM

That is interesting... kind of hard to believe that optical out doesn't have the bandwidth for DTS, but there you go. I didn't bump into this as my receiver has an hdmi repeater switch built in so everything goes over hdmi cable.... no issues with any audio source and I leave bitstream on all the time.
post #466 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM

I've recently converted a lot of home videos to DVD+R Dl discs and am having trouble playing them back in this player. This holds true for videos made on the same type of discs. The videos play back fine for the first 1/2 or 3/4, but then stops/jumps/skips and eventually just stops. These same discs play back fine in other plays and PC.

Videos made on single layer discs do not have any issues.
post #467 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Well any DVD from a rental (non blueray) is DL so if this was the case a lot of people would have experienced this.
post #468 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Kenju4u - That is true, but I am refering to more of the "homemade" DL discs that I am having trouble playing. At first I thought it was the burner I was using, so I replaced it. Still same result. I can play the same discs flawlessly in other DVD players. This one is the only one giving me troubles.
post #469 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Well well, those lying liars. MPEG-2 in MKV works! I shouldn't complain, but I could have saved myself $30 on an HDMI switch and cables if I'd waited a week for no reason.

Anyway, I tested several MakeMKV files from different shows, and all display fine. Not sure how to switch between chapters within a file, but fast forward and other basic controls work fine.
post #470 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziimen View Post

Might be a silly question but why not leave it to bitstream all the time... provided your receiver can decode it properly... at least PCM?

Not a silly question, but the assumption is that my receiver can decode the newer HD audio codecs and it can't. HDMI 1.2a only - Yamaha RX-V661.
post #471 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druber View Post

Well well, those lying liars.

They certainly are ... lol. Just tested an mkv with mpg2 stream and it works fine on new firmware. Maybe Samsung devs are even reading these forums.

On the other hand, mkv embedded subtitles are still not being picked up. Seriously, how hard can that be?

But thumbs up for Samsung !!! I usually have very low expectations on promised firmware feature updates. Got me.
post #472 of 1625 Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM

So you guys feel any changes with the new firmware that was released today?
post #473 of 1625 Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Very quick loading time as PS3 but one of fragile unit I got,it was damaged after 1 month using.Lucky me,the shop changed me the the new one.
post #474 of 1625 Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoDog View Post

Kenju4u - That is true, but I am refering to more of the "homemade" DL discs that I am having trouble playing. At first I thought it was the burner I was using, so I replaced it. Still same result. I can play the same discs flawlessly in other DVD players. This one is the only one giving me troubles.

I know you said you used a DL DVD, but did you actually create a layer break? Sometimes when creating a layer break the disc can be probelmatic depending on the method used. I've been buring DVDs for years and I found 1 thing out early on, DVD-Rs have a better success rate in the number of players they work in than DVD+Rs. Just MHO. The Sammy manual does have a note about DVD+R/RW at the bottom of pg. 11.
post #475 of 1625 Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock1 View Post

I know you said you used a DL DVD, but did you actually create a layer break? Sometimes when creating a layer break the disc can be probelmatic depending on the method used. I've been buring DVDs for years and I found 1 thing out early on, DVD-Rs have a better success rate in the number of players they work in than DVD+Rs. Just MHO. The Sammy manual does have a note about DVD+R/RW at the bottom of pg. 11.

What software are you using to burn these DL disks?
post #476 of 1625 Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM

So watching the Bournce Supremacy last night, and about 6 or 7 times the movie paused briefly and skipped as though there was a scratch or hair on the disk. Same thing happened on the Bourne Identity, yet both discs are brand new pristine condition. It also happened while watching Avatar, albeit only once and it was brief.

Also, when leaving the player on pause in a movie for a few minutes (long enough for screen saver to come on) I've noticed several times that it is delayed in replaying, and sometimes it skips ahead a few seconds or skips a little before resuming play.

Anyone else with these issues?

Granted my Bourne discs are the UK version, but are region free. But still seeing some issues with Avatar, Flyboys, and a couple others anyhow. Kind of annoying to be in the middle of an exciting car chase only to have the movie freeze for 3 to 6 seconds, and resume play after skipping another few seconds. Maybe I need to trade out for a new player.
post #477 of 1625 Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

What software are you using to burn these DL disks?

I've been using CopyToDVD for my DL burning for a number of years now with very good success. I've used Roxi Creator too for DL work at times. I stopped using Nero6 early on because more often than not, Nero would mess up a DL burn. When the movie would hit the break it would just freeze.

Just as an added note, I don't use any +R media. I stick with -R Princo white top only for both 4.7 & 8.5 DL.
post #478 of 1625 Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM

I downloaded the latest firmware 1012.6.

Now, most of my .vob files on my PC no longer play on the player. When I select those files the player simply locks up. I have to power cycle to get back to the menu.

But probably what is worse than that, randomly (every 1-5 minutes, the screen blanks, the audio pops, and it sits there for a few seconds, then comes back. The Samsung TV that I have plugged into it acts as though the HDMI disconnected & then reconnected again.

I desperately want to revert to the previous firmware, but I don't find it available on the samsung web site any more. Anyone have it?

Eric
post #479 of 1625 Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoDog View Post

I've recently converted a lot of home videos to DVD+R Dl discs and am having trouble playing them back in this player. This holds true for videos made on the same type of discs. The videos play back fine for the first 1/2 or 3/4, but then stops/jumps/skips and eventually just stops. These same discs play back fine in other plays and PC.

Videos made on single layer discs do not have any issues.

I may be having a similar issue have similar issues on C5500 model. I haven't tried DVD format on DVD+R DL, but 8 gig MKV burned to DVD+R DL will only play part way thru. They also won't FF/REW or jump to time, and if I look at tools/information it shows size -1.0B. I've tried this with three different movies and three brands of DVD+R DL (Memorex, TDK, and Verbatim), and the same files play fine thru the network and show the correct file size. 4 gig mkv on generic single layer DVD-R don't suffer this problem.

I wonder, has anyone had any success with DVD+R DL?
post #480 of 1625 Old 06-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Guys,

I am have an issue with the player that I am not sure is the player or something else in my network. I am sharing files from my pc to the blueray, When I play any videos from those shared folders they tend to play for 10 - 30 mintues and then freeze up and stop. The shared folders also get disconnected and I have to wait a few mintues for the player to find them again. I am dont have any issues viewing movies on Netflix. I am connect to my router Belkin F5D8233-4 v4000 wirelessly.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page