Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 22 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------

Blu-ray Players

Charles R's Avatar Charles R
07:11 PM Liked: 222
post #631 of 1625
08-19-2010 | Posts: 10,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyprops View Post

Has there been any word as to when Hulu Plus will be available for the Samsung Bluray players? I had an email from Samaung saying Hulu plus was available and inviting me to it's trial, but when I went to the player, I could not find the option or upgrade to install the Hulu app.

Right now it's only available on the BD-C6900. I downloaded and installed it under Apps.
mightyprops's Avatar mightyprops
08:29 PM Liked: 10
post #632 of 1625
08-19-2010 | Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Right now it's only available on the BD-C6900. I downloaded and installed it under Apps.

Interesting that it would not be available to the entire line of Samsung bluray players. Any reason why that would be?
08:35 PM Liked: 222
post #633 of 1625
08-19-2010 | Posts: 10,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyprops View Post

Interesting that it would not be available to the entire line of Samsung bluray players. Any reason why that would be?

A pure guess is since Hulu Plus is in Beta they don't want a lot of subscribers. As an example on the PS3 you need to subscribe to Playstation Plus before you can access it.
jlj93byu's Avatar jlj93byu
09:08 AM Liked: 10
post #634 of 1625
08-20-2010 | Posts: 84
I have been reading several threads on different sites concerning PCM vs. Bitstream. There seem to be varying opinions on whether having the audio codec decoded in the player or receiver is best. Since the primary factor is what equipment you are using, I wanted to post here since this is where it all begins, with the blu ray player. I currently have my 6500 set to audiophile and connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 9100 THX system, whose receiver is capable of fully decoding all current HD (DTS & DD) codecs (the receiver is the HT-R960). It would seem that in this case, I have a player AND receiver capable of decoding the same, highest quality codecs. As such--would it really make any difference if I had the player decode and then send the signal to the receiver? Aside from the receiver not actually lighting up with the cool DTS, DD, PLIIx, THX, and other cool lights? It seems that with the HDMI connection, I am not losing any audio quality, just changing the location of where the decoding is done. Thanks!
mr stroke's Avatar mr stroke
01:14 AM Liked: 11
post #635 of 1625
08-22-2010 | Posts: 570
just picked up this player today and impressed. Upgrading from a Sony BD560 and its much better. Faster, equal PQ and AQ, and the Online UI and apps are the best Ive used in a player to date. Really surprised with Vudu, stunning PQ(couldn't notice a difference between Blu Ray with Kick Ass) didn't have any problems streaming(18 mps Wifi connection)

Great player so far
Djinn252's Avatar Djinn252
03:52 PM Liked: 10
post #636 of 1625
08-22-2010 | Posts: 27
Greetings.

Has any BD-C6500 owner successfully connected this device to a wireless-n network? I have a mixed network (b, g, n) and my C6500 insists on connecting at 802.11g speeds. This is usually fine for streaming standard-def video from my desktop computer, but it sometimes chokes on high-def content.

While looking through the C6500's network settings, I noticed this message at the bottom of the screen, in surprisingly poor English:

Due to the change of a WiFi policy, cannot support the TKIP security type in 802.11n mode. In that case, check a security setting on the Access Point.

I interpreted this to mean "Wireless-n speeds are incompatible with TKIP-based security encryption. Make the necessary changes on your router."

No problem... I changed the settings on my Linksys/Cisco router, and ensured that my wireless encryption was AES-only, but that didn't seem to help things - I'm still connecting at wireless-g speeds.

Has anyone here had better luck with this?
mikelets456's Avatar mikelets456
09:18 AM Liked: 11
post #637 of 1625
08-23-2010 | Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn252 View Post

Greetings.

Has any BD-C6500 owner successfully connected this device to a wireless-n network? I have a mixed network (b, g, n) and my C6500 insists on connecting at 802.11g speeds. This is usually fine for streaming standard-def video from my desktop computer, but it sometimes chokes on high-def content.

While looking through the C6500's network settings, I noticed this message at the bottom of the screen, in surprisingly poor English:

Due to the change of a WiFi policy, cannot support the TKIP security type in 802.11n mode. In that case, check a security setting on the Access Point.

I interpreted this to mean "Wireless-n speeds are incompatible with TKIP-based security encryption. Make the necessary changes on your router."

No problem... I changed the settings on my Linksys/Cisco router, and ensured that my wireless encryption was AES-only, but that didn't seem to help things - I'm still connecting at wireless-g speeds.

Has anyone here had better luck with this?

What format is your HD video you are streaming from your desk top? I have H.264 (.Mov) and it says "Format not supported". Same with Mpeg4 and a few others.
09:51 AM Liked: 11
post #638 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Research71 View Post

Help!!!
We got the Samsung Blue Ray BD-C6500 as a "prize" though my husband's work.
I tried hooking it up through my denon 1909 with no luck. So I decided to try it directly through the TV, and then figure it out through the denon. So I hooked it up via HDMI to my Panasonic TC-P50S1. I turned everything on, and the initial "Samsung" screen came up while is said "Load" on the player. SO I know the input is correct. Then once it said "Setup" on the player, the screen on the tv went blank. I even tried putting a BluRay in...no luck.
What could be wrong in this scenario? Is the TV not compatible with the BluRay? Do I need a different HDMI cord??
Thanks for your help in saving my sanity....

Mine did the same thing, then said "unsupported format".... Mine was a bad "HDMI" cable. Replaced and problem went away
10:12 AM Liked: 10
post #639 of 1625
08-23-2010 | Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

What format is your HD video you are streaming from your desk top? I have H.264 (.Mov) and it says "Format not supported". Same with Mpeg4 and a few others.

I've discovered that the BD-C6500 isn't very smart when it comes to playback types. It will reject a file as having an "invalid format" and then accept the identical file if you merely change the extension of the filename to .mp4, .avi, or .mkv. If you experiment with this, don't forget to "refresh" the file server before you attempt playback.

To answer your question specifically, I'm quoting from VLC's media information:

Stream 0
- Type Video
- Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
- Language: English
- Resolution: 1280x720
- Frame rate: 29.970628

I also have the audio stream data if it would help.
10:46 AM Liked: 11
post #640 of 1625
Quote:

I've discovered that the BD-C6500 isn't very smart when it comes to playback types. It will reject a file as having an "invalid format" and then accept the identical file if you merely change the extension of the filename to .mp4, .avi, or .mkv. If you experiment with this, don't forget to "refresh" the file server before you attempt playback.

To answer your question specifically, I'm quoting from VLC's media information:

Stream 0
- Type Video
- Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
- Language: English
- Resolution: 1280x720
- Frame rate: 29.970628

I also have the audio stream data if it would help.

I did that with one of the files... it played very choppy and a big box came up... "unsupported format". I then used "Super" with BD container and Mpeg 2 output... nothing. I will try "Super" again with your parameters and select output as "Mp4" and see if actually changing it makes a difference. The only thing I do not like is during the conversion there is an obvious loss of quality.
11:51 AM Liked: 10
post #641 of 1625
08-23-2010 | Posts: 27
Quote:

I did that with one of the files... it played very choppy and a big box came up... "unsupported format". I then used "Super" with BD container and Mpeg 2 output... nothing. I will try "Super" again with your parameters and select output as "Mp4" and see if actually changing it makes a difference. The only thing I do not like is during the conversion there is an obvious loss of quality.

Just to clarify - I'm not proposing any sort of file conversion. When I was having trouble with file playback, I literally did nothing more than rename the file itself, with no conversion.

If you have the file already, I recommend putting three versions of the file in the same folder. You'll have to change the filename itself, in addition to the extension, since the BD-C6500 interface doesn't display the extensions.

But create a shared folder with the following files:

Filename-AVI.avi
Filename-MKV.mkv
Filename-MP3.mp4

And all three files are identical, except for the names. Same format. Same codec, same size, etc. Sync your sharing db, go back to your BC-C, and try playing each of the three files. See if your luck improves.

Or, if you want to speed up testing a bit, copy all of the files to a USB flash drive, and then plug it into the player. Pulling the wireless connection out of the equation (for now) might help.

===================

On an unrelated note, when I do need to convert video files aiming for BD-C compatibility, I've had the most success with the open-source, freeware converter "Handbrake," using the Regular > Normal profile.
12:10 PM Liked: 11
post #642 of 1625
Thanks... I did that with one extension (MP4) and I got the error message and I will simply change the extensions without converting and see what happens. Thanks...
07:53 AM Liked: 11
post #643 of 1625
08-24-2010 | Posts: 1,126
Looks like that works... However, now I get a message that states " unsupported AUDIO codec". Hmmmm... any suggestions?
11:21 AM Liked: 10
post #644 of 1625
08-24-2010 | Posts: 27
Quote:

Looks like that works... However, now I get a message that states " unsupported AUDIO codec". Hmmmm... any suggestions?

Audio, eh? Hmm... Well, as I mentioned, you might want to run it through "Handbrake." Here are the audio details for a high-def video that plays just fine through my network. This is the same file as the one for which I provided video details yesterday:

Stream1
- Type:Audio
- Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
- Landuage: und
- Channels: 3F2R/LFE
- Sample rate: 48000 Hz
- Bitrate: 384 kb/s

I don't know if this information will prove useful, but I stress my earlier suggestion to use Handbrake to re-convert the file, and use the Regular > Normal profile. I've had a lot of success with Handbrake and compatibility.
12:55 PM Liked: 11
post #645 of 1625
08-24-2010 | Posts: 1,126
My Canon takes H.264 1280x720 HD and Audio is: Linear PCM
05:38 PM Liked: 10
post #646 of 1625
08-24-2010 | Posts: 27
Quote:

My Canon takes H.264 1280x720 HD and Audio is: Linear PCM

If you can figure out how to provide for me a short 10-second video clip taken with your camera, I'd be happy to see what I can learn from it with regard to the BD-C6500.
08:17 AM Liked: 11
post #647 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 1,126
Quote:

If you can figure out how to provide for me a short 10-second video clip taken with your camera, I'd be happy to see what I can learn from it with regard to the BD-C6500.

I got it to work FLAWLESSLY after doing the following. First my set up:

-Verizon Fios with Actiontec wireless "G" Router. BD-C6800 Samsung BD (latest upgrade) player and Samsung PC Connect. I have a Home Built PC with an AMD 3800+ (2.9 Ghz) with Nvidia 9800 video card. 500 GB Hard Drive and Windows XP SP3.

The BD player is about 15' from the router and hooked up wirelessly. My Tv is a Samsung 46A650 Via HDMI direct. I used a free program called "Super" and converted my HD (1280x720P) H.264 to M2TS and AAC sound. After conversion I changed the extension to .MP4, refreshed the Samsung PC Connect.

Outcome: Flawless video with no loss of PQ, no "jerkiness" or errors. I am in the process of converting another (larger) file to be sure... I will keep you advised.
09:54 AM Liked: 10
post #648 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 84
Would this be an issue with my cable modem as opposed to my router?

When I watched a Vudu movie wirelessly in HDX mode, the player would have to rebuffer every few minutes, so I switched to HD mode and it was fine. I tried watching the same movie in HDX but to avoid the rebuffering I used an ethernet cable to hardwire my player to my router. No difference. When watching Netflix movies, whether the signal is sent wirelessly or over the ethernet cable the same issues arise--signal quality remains unchanged, even when movies on Netflix should be HD streaming. Wouldn't the signal quality be at 100% if directly connected to the router--or at least improved over the quality of the wireless signal? They are always the same.

Wouldn't a hardwired connection eliminate any buffering issues? Is it my cable modem itself? We have Comcast internet and I use a Belkin N wireless router. I just want to understand where my issue is before considering the purchase of a replacement modem or router. Thanks!
10:17 AM Liked: 222
post #649 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 10,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj93byu View Post

Would this be an issue with my cable modem as opposed to my router?

Looks to be a Internet bandwidth issue since you had the same results hardwired (as opposed to wireless). VUDU HDX requires faster bandwidth than Netflix (even their HD) so it appears your Internet bandwidth isn't fast enough to handle HDX. Not seeing any difference with Netflix between hardwire and wireless simply means your wireless connection is fast enough to handle Netflix's requirements.
10:20 AM Liked: 11
post #650 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 1,126
I have a Wireless "G" router and Fios (15/15) and have NO "hiccups" when viewing HD via the wireless connection. BTW, have you done a speed test? Does this happen only at certain times during the day (internet traffic).

I think it is your cable connection/speed but you should go to DSL reports or speed tests to check you speeds.
chris789's Avatar chris789
02:08 PM Liked: 10
post #651 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 3
Hi guys. I recently bought this Samsung BDC6500 player. I am happy with it so far, it froze two times though, but what's really frustrating me is this DLNA feature (and also no Hulu!).

Firmware is updated and it checked for updates, there is none.

I bought this because it supposedly has DLNA, but I cannot find any way to view computers on the network (I want to connect with a wireless NAS storage). I went through all the menu settings. I also went through the manual it doesn't mention how to enable it. Fortunately, the wifi setup was easy at least.

Also, I'm reading about this PC Share software that you are supposed to install it, well it doesn't even run for some reason.

AFAIK, DLNA technology shouldn't require third party software. It should just find the computer on the network, connect, and that's it.

Can someone please advise. Thanks!
yseguy22's Avatar yseguy22
02:37 PM Liked: 10
post #652 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 16
does anyone know the difference between the internet tv offering between the blu ray player and the samsung TV itself? both support internet connections, but its not clear whether you need both connected to internet or just one.
chris789's Avatar chris789
02:58 PM Liked: 10
post #653 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 3
yseguy22, I think each samsung product has its own internet@tv version with varying apps so you would connect the one with the app you want to use. They used to have a webpage comparing each blu ray model and tv model and what apps it comes with can't find that anymore. I don't know why they don't just deploy the same apps to every device.
yseguy22's Avatar yseguy22
03:20 PM Liked: 10
post #654 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 16
Exactly.

I purchased the Samsumg bundle from amazon (TV + 3D Blu ray player). I assume many people before me purchased this bundle. Could they share what InternetTV app they are using on their TV and which InternetTV app they are using on their blu ray player?
danki6x's Avatar danki6x
04:51 PM Liked: 30
post #655 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by yseguy22 View Post

does anyone know the difference between the internet tv offering between the blu ray player and the samsung TV itself? both support internet connections, but its not clear whether you need both connected to internet or just one.

(for wired interenet connection only) I have 2 different brands (TV & BD) so I hooked them both up since they have some differences (and firmware updates are easy). If you don't mind 100Mb speed (won't work with 1000Mb/1Gb since all wires are used) , you can "split" one CAT cable into two feeds. Got a connector for each end (splitter and combiner) and some short cables for less than $10 (from monoprice.com) and "share" the one drop for both. Each needs to go to a separate port on the ethernet switch, so two ports are needed. /Dan
enigma9o7's Avatar enigma9o7
08:23 PM Liked: 10
post #656 of 1625
08-25-2010 | Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris789 View Post

Hi guys. I recently bought this Samsung BDC6500 player. I am happy with it so far, it froze two times though, but what's really frustrating me is this DLNA feature (and also no Hulu!).

Firmware is updated and it checked for updates, there is none.

I bought this because it supposedly has DLNA, but I cannot find any way to view computers on the network (I want to connect with a wireless NAS storage). I went through all the menu settings. I also went through the manual it doesn't mention how to enable it. Fortunately, the wifi setup was easy at least.

Also, I'm reading about this PC Share software that you are supposed to install it, well it doesn't even run for some reason.

AFAIK, DLNA technology shouldn't require third party software. It should just find the computer on the network, connect, and that's it.

Can someone please advise. Thanks!

The PC Share Manager software is a DLNA server for WinXP. You should be able to use other DLNA server software, you're not limited to PCSM, however maybe Samsung isn't fully 100% DLNA compliant, cuz even with Serviio it works better if you tell it to use the samsung profile in its config options.

However, many NAS devices have built in DLNA server software, so in that case, you wouldn't even need to run anything on your PC or even have your PC turned on to use it. I'm not sure if anyone has had any success with any NAS devices that have DLNA tho, or if any of those give you any options to tell it you're using samsungs version of dlna.

To select the dlna device from BD Player, there's an option on the main startup menu 'choose device' it's one of the letter keys on the remote. From there you can see the DLNA servers on the network as well as dvd/usb plugged directly into the player. For example in my case, I can choose between PCSM, Serviio and USB, because I'm running both of those servers on my WinXP box and have a usb drive plugged in directly... but I don't have a NAS device.
06:53 AM Liked: 10
post #657 of 1625
08-26-2010 | Posts: 27
Quote:

... The BD player is about 15' from the router and hooked up wirelessly. ...

Why? If the distance between the router and the BD player is so short, why screw around with a wireless connection? I'm using wireless, but only because my BD player is on the other side of the house.
07:04 AM Liked: 10
post #658 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris789 View Post

... I bought this because it supposedly has DLNA, but I cannot find any way to view computers on the network (I want to connect with a wireless NAS storage). I went through all the menu settings. I also went through the manual it doesn't mention how to enable it. Fortunately, the wifi setup was easy at least....

I'm not familiar with the acronym "DLNA," but it sounds like you want to play videos off your computer, via your wireless network. This is doable... The software you need is the Samsung PC Share Manager, which you'll find here. You're on the "Downloads" tab. Underneath the "Downloads" tab, you'll see tabs for "Manuals," "Software," and "Firmware." Click "Software." That's it.

You should see a link for PC Share Manager version 4.2. The description says it's version 4.03. And when you install it, the "About" screen says it's version 4.1. Way to go Samsung! But it works.

Install the software on the computer which houses your video files. Now the documentation sucks, so I'm giving you the non-obvious highlights:

1) Click Share > Set Device Policy. This interface lets you define which objects on your wireless network can see the folder. Skip this step, and the BD player will never find your videos.

2) In the main interface, drop your share folder into the right-hand window.

3) Click the white/blue/green icon with the rotating arrows. This "refreshes" your share folder. You must click this icon any time you change the contents of your share folder (or even just change the filenames).

I recommend AGAINST sharing folders with large numbers of digital photos. If you really want to look at photos on your BD Player, use a USB flash key.
07:11 AM Liked: 10
post #659 of 1625
08-26-2010 | Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Looks to be a Internet bandwidth issue since you had the same results hardwired (as opposed to wireless). VUDU HDX requires faster bandwidth than Netflix (even their HD) so it appears your Internet bandwidth isn't fast enough to handle HDX. Not seeing any difference with Netflix between hardwire and wireless simply means your wireless connection is fast enough to handle Netflix's requirements.

I utilized the internet speed test on the player and did 5 tests consecutively, while the results ranged from 1.4 to 1.89, the average was about 1.8 mbps, which the player indicated was average speed. I only had a couple minutes on my computer to do a DSL speed test for my Comcast cable internet, but the sites I found required registrations and other information that prevented me from doing a simple and quick test.

Anybody have any recommended speed test sites I could use that don't require registration, downloads, or mandatory "clean-up" sweeps?

Thanks!
07:39 AM Liked: 10
post #660 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj93byu View Post

I utilized the internet speed test on the player and did 5 tests consecutively, ...

I've been messing with the BD-C6500 network settings for days, and I've never seen an internet (or local network) speed test. Where is it?
Tags: Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player

Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread