Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1625 Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not in Canada, but with U.S. Netflix you need to use a web browser to select items to add to the "watch instantly" que, which will show up when you connect to Netflix with the Samsung player. I suspect the Canadian version is similar (although possibly bilingual).

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1625 Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 PM

I'm using the trial of Netflix Canada right now on Boxee and we don't have the "Instant Queue" like in the US (likely because the Canadian version is a streaming only service and everything is instant), that is why I was curious as to how the service worked on standalone units like the C6500.

Everything I've read says that US players that support Netflix can only browse the "Instant Queue" and nothing outside of your Instant Queue is visible.

The only players, to my knowledge, that allow you to browse the total content library in the US are the 2010 LG BD5x0 series of Blu-ray players.

Hopefully someone that has used the Canadian service on one of the new Samsung players will chime in with their feedback.
post #723 of 1625 Old 10-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post

The only players, to my knowledge, that allow you to browse the total content library in the US are the 2010 LG BD5x0 series of Blu-ray players.

XBOX 360 and Wii allow you to browse the Netflix library and select movies not already in your queue. With the BD-C6500, you can only watch movies or programs already in your instant queue.
post #724 of 1625 Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM

I have the Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-ray disc player.

It features, Pandora, Netflix, Vudu, etc....

When watching a Vudu movie, (live streaming) the SAMSUNG logo screensaver kicks in (after several minutes) on my TV.

Samsung live chat and tech support said there is no menu option to disable the screen saver. Their toll free tech support suggested unplugging the player, holding down this button and that button to see if it helps.

Needless to say, I'm not optimistic.

Has anyone else experienced this?

many thanks - Ponz
post #725 of 1625 Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Has anyone gotten chapters to work on a movie file (mkv, mp4, etc.)? I have subtitles working - you need to have an srt subtitle file with the same name as the movie file in the same directory as the movie file - and it only works off of a connected device (flash drive or hard drive connected to the usb port), and not over the DLNA network.

So, does anyone know if there is a similar thing for chapters?

Thanks in advance.
post #726 of 1625 Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponz View Post

When watching a Vudu movie, (live streaming) the SAMSUNG logo screensaver kicks in (after several minutes) on my TV.

Samsung live chat and tech support said there is no menu option to disable the screen saver. Their toll free tech support suggested unplugging the player, holding down this button and that button to see if it helps.

many thanks - Ponz

$hit - Nobody?

Ponz
post #727 of 1625 Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:

$hit - Nobody?

Ponz

No I have not and we watch Robin Hood last night on Vudu. I watch Netflix a lot also and no screen saver. Now if I'm listening to Pandora I get one after 2/3 minutes .

Life is no harder than you make it.
post #728 of 1625 Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:

$hit - Nobody?

Ponz

bump
post #729 of 1625 Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:

many thanks - Ponz

Nope. Had the player for months, watched many movies without seeing that behavior.

I do see it with Pandora after a number of minutes, however, but I prefer that to be the case. I like having a screensaver enabled while all I'm doing is listening. When I click the remote, the screensaver goes off.

To me, the behavior is as it should be and not an issue.
post #730 of 1625 Old 10-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Bump
post #731 of 1625 Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k96nb01 View Post

Has anyone gotten chapters to work on a movie file (mkv, mp4, etc.)? I have subtitles working - you need to have an srt subtitle file with the same name as the movie file in the same directory as the movie file - and it only works off of a connected device (flash drive or hard drive connected to the usb port), and not over the DLNA network.

So, does anyone know if there is a similar thing for chapters?

Thanks in advance.

Let's try this again - Bump
post #732 of 1625 Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 AM

For anyone interested in getting a blu-ray player to stream Netflix in Canada.
I bought the Samsung BD-C6500 updated the firmware and connected to Internet@TV which downloaded the Netflix app and works like a charm with Netflix.ca. Don't bother calling Samsung because they don't know their own products, they told me no blu-ray player of theirs works with Netflix.ca but they were wrong.
post #733 of 1625 Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Nope. Had the player for months, watched many movies without seeing that behavior.

I do see it with Pandora after a number of minutes, however, but I prefer that to be the case. I like having a screensaver enabled while all I'm doing is listening. When I click the remote, the screensaver goes off.

To me, the behavior is as it should be and not an issue.

I haven't used VUDU, but yep I've seen it in Pandora - and I actually posted (in the 5500 thread) asking if there was a way to disable it long ago.
The reason it annoys me is when I hear a song I like, I'd like to be know the artist/title. This would be on the tv if the screensaver hadn't kicked in. So that means I would have find the remote, push a button, etc, not worth the effort usually unless I *really* care, whereas if the screensaver was off it would just be a simple glance (and I could still always turn off the tv if I want to save not only my screen, but electricity). Nowadays I always turn off the tv when listening to pandora cuz no point keeping it on with the screensaver always there, if I really wanna look at the title/artist i have to get the remote anyway, so doesnt matter if its two pushes, one to turn on tv and another to get bdp out of screensaver.
post #734 of 1625 Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would be better if they had a Screen saver like I've seen on a friends satellite box where just a logo randomly moves around the screen.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #735 of 1625 Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Would be better if they had a Screen saver like I've seen on a friends satellite box where just a logo randomly moves around the screen.

That's exactly how I'd describe the screensaver we already have. Little samsung logo in an oval randomly moves around a black screen.... what are you saying is different about the satbox? Does it move the logo around on top of what's already there so you can still see the background or something?
post #736 of 1625 Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Hey guys, I downloaded the wrong firmware version in my bluray ... it works no problem, but when I try to put the right one, it says the recent is already there

I dont know how I did that, I probably downloaded a version from another region, I dont know ... so, is there a way to force the update of the firmware?
(the firmware was from another region yes, and now I can watch dvds from that region =D, so, its not bad ...=D)

Another question, some movies are simply not playing the sound here nowadays, most of them with .mkv
They simply dont play on the TV; the device says it is compatible, but the sound simply doesnt work ... weird

anyone experience something like that? I tried to change the sound options, but nothing worked ...
post #737 of 1625 Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 PM

ANYONE PLEASE TRY TO EXPLAIN THIS TO ME

2 movies, with the same audio, AC3, but different video codec, different containers

x264 ac3 mkv
xvid ac3 avi

only the xvid release work the audio, the audio on the x264 rls doesnt work on the bluray

and I tried changing the container name, and it didnt matter ... the video runs well, but no audio ... it says it identified the same audio, dolby 5.1 ... but it doesnt work

anyone can please explain that to me? how is that possible?

my firmware version right now is 16.1, yes, it looks like its more new than the US firmware ... and I am not able to get back to the US firmware, it says it its already updated when I try
post #738 of 1625 Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Anyone else have this problem?
Every DVD or CD I put into the player refuses to play. It gives the following message:

"Cannot read this disc. Please check the disc"

Firmware is 1010.4

I've tried factory resetting by holding down STOP but this doesn't fix it.

Worked fine for the first few movies I played on it, now it won't play any of them.
post #739 of 1625 Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 AM

You have a defective player.
post #740 of 1625 Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post

Now that Samsung has enabled support for Netflix Canada on the C6500 with their latest firmware update I was wondering if anyone with this player could comment on the Netflix Canada experience with this player. Can you search the entire Netflix Canada library? Anyone care to upload some screenshots of Netflix Canada in action on the C6500?

I see the same titles whemn I browse Netflix from the C6500 that I do from my iPad. I'm in Canada.
post #741 of 1625 Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM

I have one of these players and it doesn't have any trouble reading/loading a blu-ray. But when I watch the BR of "Flash Gordon," I notice it seems to be dropping frames. I am on the latest US Firmware. The disc plays fine in my ps3.

Do I have a defective player or is there something about this particular title and this unit?

Thanks!
post #742 of 1625 Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Recently purchased this player to try out Netflix Canada.

Streaming wirelesss Netflix works surprisingly well. Thought I would experience some problems with wireless streaming but not so. Set up was a breeze and virtually no hiccups.

Quite pleased with this player. Big bonus also to discover PQ better than LG BH200 player.
post #743 of 1625 Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM

I have owned the BD-C6500 for a couple months now (have it paired with an LN40C630) and am fairly happy with it. Basically I need help with fine tuning the picture. I just can't seem to get it right no matter how much I mess with it. What does everyone have their blu ray players set to in the display settings? For owners pairing with a samsung tv, what do you have your picture settings set to? Also if anyone can point me to links that will walk me through the process that would be great. This is my first HDTV and blu ray player purchase so please bare with me as I am not familiar with many of the terms associated with it.

Thanks in advance!

Keith
post #744 of 1625 Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 AM

Does it upscale .avi files in my harddrive? WD media player did in past but it broke a while back! Thinking of getting one of these players!

TIA
post #745 of 1625 Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Yes, it will upscale videos.

Bob
post #746 of 1625 Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Can this player display chapter and title current and remaining times (ie 4 times total)? If so, is it on more than one screen? I did download the manual and this level of detail is not there.

Ed
post #747 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Howdy folks!

I'm having a similar problem with my Samsung screensaver kicking in, as mentioned by @ponz. Forgive me if I'm behind here but I want to be sure I understand:

@ponz - are you still having this problem?

@everyone else - so no one else has experienced this problem where they are watching a Samsung app (I'm using Picasa Web Albums) and the Samsung screensaver kicks in after a few minutes of button-inactivity?
post #748 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Trying to decide 6500 vs. 5500.

With the 5500 I'll need a Link Stick to make a WiFi connection. I think I prefer it that way, because I can attach the Link Stick to the 5500 with USB cable. That way, I can move the Link Stick, if necessary, to where it gets a stronger signal from my router. Sometimes a foot or two here or there makes a difference. The 6500's WiFi antenna is built in, so I'd need to move the whole unit.

I'd appreciate some advice from you guys who've actually used WiFi with the 6500 (or 5500.)
post #749 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 12:14 PM
rmf

WiFi works for me from first floor to basement in an equipment rack with receiver on shelf above. This model doesn't do N though, only G. I've been on the thread for a while and with a pretty critical group wireless reception hasn't seemed to have been a problem. Scaling and image are very good. When you first try WiFi you sometimes get a "Can't connect to the Internet, check your settings" message, but I think that that's just part of the delay due to initial booting. At first, I would dutifully check all the settings which were always OK, but now i just give it a minute and it resolves. We now watch many more Netflix movies from the Instant Queue than thru the mail.
post #750 of 1625 Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback. There are many variables that determine WiFi signal strength, but it's good to know that no one in here has complained about reception (yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf View Post

...This model doesn't do N though, only G.

According to the User Manual (p. 29) for the 6500:

"You must use a wireless IP sharer that supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n. (n is recommended for stable operation of the wireless network.)"

WPA2/AES is also supported.

It's also worth noting, just in case it matters, that Samsung Blu-ray players with built-in WiFi support the 2.4GHz band but do not support the 5GHz band. The Link Stick supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page