Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1624 Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate

So your old receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog ins? That's what I do (with separates not a receiver) and that is the same quality as decoding with a new receiver.
Naw...bought in 1999. Great Pioneer receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1624 Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker View Post

Brand new Samsung 6500 user. I liked the original 10.16 firmware and foolishly upgraded to 10.18. Don't like the new UI on Netflix. Samsung site does not show older firmware to download. Is there a site that has older firmware that I can download and install via thumbdrive?
Thanks

What do you like better about the old Netflix interface? It was horrible, IMO. Also, 1080p and DD 5.1 are coming, and you won't get that with the old interface. The updates also contain fixes for newer discs and MLB. Maybe you should give the new interface some time. It might grow on you. Having to go to your PC to search for movies and then watch them on the player is so 2008.
post #813 of 1624 Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

The updates also contain fixes for newer discs and MLB.

I saw that. Is HD available from MLB via the Sammy?
post #814 of 1624 Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I saw that. Is HD available from MLB via the Sammy?

Since it was added after the season was over, we'll have to wait a while to find out.

Bob
post #815 of 1624 Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM

I purchased a new BD-C6500 about a month ago and honestly at first it was a good machine, however I find the lack of support from Samsung a little disheartening. The first issue I had was playing "How to Train Your Dragon" when it first came out... It wouldn't play and I had to go back to my outdated Pioneer BDP-120 which is very slow but played the movie without any issues.... Since the firmware update I have not tested this movie again, however I did try and play Toy Story 3 and got half way through before it froze up. Again played fine on my outdated Pioneer. What is the deal? I have not yet had a successful run with playing new blu-rays. Anyone have any advise here? Is this a known issue that we have to wait for firmware updates for every new release? Oh and what is the deal with the whole AllShare issues with this machine.... I have Windows 7 and have yet to get my media to share with my BD-C6500.
post #816 of 1624 Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Just bought the c6500. I set up everything.

While watching my first BR, 2012(which is aweful), if I rewind or fast forward as soon as I press play I lose the audio. I can't get it back without exiting DVD mode on my Denon AVR-1910 to say tv/sat mode, waiting for it to catch and the audio to come back, then I must go back to the DVD mode and then restart DTS-HD MA ???
This is the first of three different BR players that have been connected to this Denon and the first to exhibit this problem......

This has happened on all five discs I have now watched, if I rewind to watch a scene over again when I fast forward back to the progressed spot the audio is gone.
I'm hoping someone on here will offer some help otherwise I will just have to return it for a different player.
post #817 of 1624 Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM

I can confirm that the USB port reads external disk drives. I test an externally powered hard drive formatted in fat32. It played divx and mp3 flawlessly.
post #818 of 1624 Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 PM

can it read hard drives with ntfs format?
post #819 of 1624 Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

Since it was added after the season was over, we'll have to wait a while to find out.

Thought someone might have more info from either MLB or Samsung on the capabilities, or may have a subscription and watched repeated post-season games. Obviously, no one has watched a live game yet.
post #820 of 1624 Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeod View Post

I purchased a new BD-C6500 about a month ago and honestly at first it was a good machine, however I find the lack of support from Samsung a little disheartening. The first issue I had was playing "How to Train Your Dragon" when it first came out... It wouldn't play and I had to go back to my outdated Pioneer BDP-120 which is very slow but played the movie without any issues.... Since the firmware update I have not tested this movie again, however I did try and play Toy Story 3 and got half way through before it froze up. Again played fine on my outdated Pioneer. What is the deal? I have not yet had a successful run with playing new blu-rays. Anyone have any advise here? Is this a known issue that we have to wait for firmware updates for every new release? Oh and what is the deal with the whole AllShare issues with this machine.... I have Windows 7 and have yet to get my media to share with my BD-C6500.

Both of those movies played fine on my player, so you probably have a defective player.
post #821 of 1624 Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else noticed that some Netflix streaming movies have screwed up aspect ratios on this machine? For example some old 4:3 movies like "Shock" are stretched to 16:9, and "Caligula" which was shot in 2:0 is squished to 16:9.

The same movies have the correct ratio on my HTPC, via the website or in Media Center.
post #822 of 1624 Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

What do you like better about the old Netflix interface? It was horrible, IMO. Also, 1080p and DD 5.1 are coming, and you won't get that with the old interface. The updates also contain fixes for newer discs and MLB. Maybe you should give the new interface some time. It might grow on you. Having to go to your PC to search for movies and then watch them on the player is so 2008.

1080p and DD 5.1 are very important to me--sound and pricture improvments are far more important to me than the interface--so I was really happy to see the update.

Bob

post #823 of 1624 Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM

@audiomagnate This is good to know. I didn't think it was a faulty machine as it seemed to work fine, but I will go and get it exchanged to be sure. Thanks... To answer your question about Netflix, I did notice that most older movies in 4:3 were stretched to 16:9 but I thought that was related to my settings to stretch and fit movies to a 16:9. Check your settings
post #824 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed that some Netflix streaming movies have screwed up aspect ratios on this machine? For example some old 4:3 movies like "Shock" are stretched to 16:9, and "Caligula" which was shot in 2:0 is squished to 16:9.

The same movies have the correct ratio on my HTPC, via the website or in Media Center.

I haven't checked recently but noticed that a while back. I had a TV which would allow me to scale 16:9 down to 4:3 but my current one does not.

Bob
post #825 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried the Fullscreen button?

Original = will display based on the original pixels (e.g. if its 720P you will get black bars all around)

Mode 1 = zooms so picture fills screen but no stretching and you get black bars if not 16:9

Mode 2 = If black bars in Mode 1 will stretch ether horizontally or vertically. (but its not a Zoom)

Does not have a 'true' zoom (but not stretch) to fit

I know this is how it works with streamed content from PC, not tried with Netflix.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #826 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 AM
TJH

Just updated to new 1018 software and a strange issue has come up.
After I play a blu ray disc(I have tried several different discs)and then go to Netflix streaming, I get no audio out of my receiver only out from the television. (Its an old receiver so it is connected with optical not hdmi). If I shut the Samsung player off and go back to netflix, I then get audio thru the receiver. Also I have noticed that the player does not respond as quickly to remote commands as it did before. I was not going to update because everything was working fine, but could not resist with the new features that are now available with Netflix with this update.
post #827 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

1019 update is now available.4:3 films are still stretched.

BTW, I don't see a "stretch to fit" option under the player's settings. One of my TVs will squish it back to normal (LG), the other won't (Panny plasma). There is no way to fix this in the player's settings, they don't seem to do anything. You need a TV that will squish it back to normal. My Panny simply chops off the sides of the stretched image, making this combo unusable for older films. I called Netflix and they told me to call Samsung. Yeah right. The people at Samsung don't even know what Blu-ray is, let alone aspect ratio. It's a problem with the app.

The fullscreen button does nothing at all, nor do the aspect ratio settings in the player, at least when connected via HDMI.
post #828 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm not allowed to post URLs yet, but if you Google the title of my post you'll find a discussion on CNET.

Basically, Samsung doesn't know what to do about this problem, and the Samsung rep on CNET's forum can't seem to get an answer either.

Don't they test this stuff before releasing it?

Don't answer that.
post #829 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

post #830 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow - lets give them a chance here. Its only been a couple of weeks - they need to time to identify the glitch, test the f@#k out of it so as not to introduce another glitch before they release it.

One thing for sure I bet it gets fixed!

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #831 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It is amazing that they release firmware updates with virtually no testing. I found this glitch within minutes of installing 1018. I will say that I called Samsung earlier today and was told that they are aware of the problem and are working hard to resolve it. I have had numerous encounters (clashes?) with Samsung CS and never in the past have they admitted to a problem, so this is real progress.
post #832 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed that some Netflix streaming movies have screwed up aspect ratios on this machine?

You sure it's not your TV settings or input settings? I have not encountered this issue at all, and I stream 4:3 content like old TV shows.
post #833 of 1624 Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

You sure it's not your TV settings or input settings? I have not encountered this issue at all, and I stream 4:3 content like old TV shows.

Yes, I'm sure. It's a known problem that both Samsung and Netflix are aware of.
post #834 of 1624 Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I connect with HDMI to a Samsung DLP, and have not experienced the problem. Tried to make it happen last night after the update to 1019, and couldn't.

EDIT: I take it back. Just reproduced it watching some old Kojak episodes. Aspect ratio is off and stretched to 16:9.
post #835 of 1624 Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I did find I was able to change the aspect ratio via TV input on my Samsung 6800--so it seems some TVs are able to override this problem.

Bob

post #836 of 1624 Old 11-13-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I did find I was able to change the aspect ratio via TV input on my Samsung 6800--so it seems some TVs are able to override this problem.

Yes, SOME TV's can fix SOME aspect ratio problems, i.e. stretched 4:3. My Panasonic just lops off the sides of the stretched image. The app also squishes wider than 16:9 to fill the screen, and I don't know of a TV that can fix that, especially when it's a non standard AR, like "Caligula" which is 2:1. No matter what the original aspect ratio was this app just fills the screen.

Just a wild guess here, but maybe Samsung was tired of getting calls about black bars on the screen. In the same vein, maybe they were getting tired of calls asking "How come I'm not getting HD?" so they got rid of the quality and HD indicators.
post #837 of 1624 Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM

[quote=Colonel Badger;18272016]
I've read a couple of reviews (on Amazon) that mention that the player is noisy when a disk is spinning. Can any body comment/compare to other players etc?

Just set mine up last Tuesday. It has a very high pitched whine that is not tolerable and will be going back to Fry's...
post #838 of 1624 Old 11-13-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Joanrrt;19482935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

I've read a couple of reviews (on Amazon) that mention that the player is noisy when a disk is spinning. Can any body comment/compare to other players etc?

Just set mine up last Tuesday. It has a very high pitched whine that is not tolerable and will be going back to Fry's...

It is a bit noisy, but it's not a constant whine. It's more intermittent and lower pitched than a whine. Definitely noisier than my old 2500 that it replaced.
post #839 of 1624 Old 11-14-2010, 06:27 AM

just ordered one of these to replace my ancient BD-P1400.
post #840 of 1624 Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 AM

It will recognize and play jpegs off a flash drive but not off a CD or DVD.

Any advice please? Thanks in advance.

Ponz
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page